LA-610 distorting very easily??

Author
flemmingo_77
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24
2010/08/11 20:47:14 (permalink)

LA-610 distorting very easily??

I'm having problems w/ LA-610 distorting real easily.  It does this when I plug my keyboard in the hi-z and when plug a condenser in the mic input.  Could this possibly be a tube issue or am I doing something wrong?? It seems to distort even before the meter hits the red zone. Any help??

4 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:LA-610 distorting very easily?? 2010/08/12 00:37:21 (permalink)
    The keyboard should go into the line input, not hi-z.  That is for weak little guitar output.

Don't know about your mic problem.  Condenser will take 48 v phantom power, but that shouldn't be the problem (you shouldn't get any sound).

Try the line input w/ the keyboard and see if that doesn't help.  Then the problem simply becomes the mic, which could be the cable or mismatched volumes (the LA-610 has a mic gain and output I think).  There are some UA users here that should be able to provide more specific help.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:LA-610 distorting very easily?? 2010/08/12 08:26:57 (permalink)
    I have 2 LA-610s. You may have a problematic unit or you may just need to make an adjustment to your gain staging.

I have found that if you drive the pre it will distort with a splat way before the input level meter says "splat".

The VU meters respond differently than either PPM or RMS meters. A quick splat will go right past the meters with very little reaction at the needle.

There's lot's of output level available without over driving that pre.

You may just need a bit more time getting the gain chain where you want it.

best regards,
    mike

Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    Re:LA-610 distorting very easily?? 2010/08/12 09:47:22 (permalink)
    These are notorious for being sensitive to too much input. Mic or line device only but not both at once. It sounds like you are doing both at once from your sentence. It's too much input although I think AT above nailed it.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:LA-610 distorting very easily?? 2010/08/12 12:39:57 (permalink)
    I'm having problems w/ LA-610 distorting real easily. It does this when I plug my keyboard in the hi-z and when plug a condenser in the mic input. Could this possibly be a tube issue or am I doing something wrong?? It seems to distort even before the meter hits the red zone. Any help??

Assuming the unit is in proper working order...
    Sounds to me like a gain-stage issue (as has been mentioned).

You could easily 'drive' the preamp by slamming the input with hot keyboard output signal.
    In this scenario, if you want to use the 610 as a keyboard DI... just turn down the keyboard's output level.
    Set the gain knob low (unless you want distortion)... and adjust the ouput knob to provide a healthy recording level.

Regarding the condenser mic:
    What are you recording?  If it's a high SPL scenario, you may need to use a pad on the mic.

One other possibility (if you're not familiar with the 610 preamp) is that you've got the gain knob cranked... and you're driving the preamp (similar to what you can do with guitar amps).  This is a cool feature to have/use (when you want a distorted sound).  

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1