AnsweredLIVE Setup -> 3 monitors + 3 staff views = 1 staff view on each monitor

Author
psiwko
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2017/03/20 14:34:17 (permalink)

LIVE Setup -> 3 monitors + 3 staff views = 1 staff view on each monitor

Hi guys. I'm working on a big "synth tribute show" ( a tribute show to the synthesizers' music of the last 40 years), and my stage setup involves 5 keyboard controllers set up in a "U" shape fashion. In front of me there is the Kurzweil PC3x, on the right side there is AkaiMPK49 + Supernova II (on a two-tier stand), and on the left there is KeyLab 61 + Panorama 6 (on a two-tier stand). In front of me there is a main PC monitor displaying the Track view of Sonar X3. On the left and right sides (above the controllers) there are iPads Air mounted and functioning as extended monitors. That's the overall setup.

I know that I can open a Staff View of a particular MIDI track on the main monitor display (Track view) that is right in front of me. Based on Sonar documentation, without "locking" the currently displayed Staff View there is no possibility to open ANOTHER staff view of a different MIDI track. So, I've got 3 questions:

1. What's the process of locking a staff view? (step by step) I can't see any "Lock" buttons, or indicators in the Staff View window.
2. Once you have 3 different (and locked) staff views, can you actually place them at the extended monitors' screens?
3. If the answer to the question #2 is "yes", then after saving this particular Screenset, will Sonar X3 re-open this particular project with all the Staff Views located at the same places when the project was saved in the previous session?

Many thanks for your help.
tenfoot
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2186
Re: LIVE Setup -> 3 monitors + 3 staff views = 1 staff view on each monitor 2017/03/21 03:54:19 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby psiwko 2017/03/21 15:14:12
Welcome to the forum!

The good news is that the answer to all of your questions is yes.

1. When you open a staff view window it defaults to the dock. Click on the staff view's tab and drag it from the dock to the screen you wish to locate it on. Once removed from the dock, click on the upper left corner of the staff view window and choose 'lock contents' from the dropdown menu. Once the view is locked, choose the next track you wish to display, open staff view and repeat the process.

2. Yes. See above.

3. Yes. Once you have all of the views in place, lock the screenset using the lock/unlock screenset from the Screenset control bar module or views/screensets menu. If the screenset is already locked,  you need to unlock it and relock in order to store the current layout. With the locked screenset active, save the project. Now whenever you open the project the windows will all be in place.

Bear in mind that if you open the stored multi screen project  on a PC that does not have external monitors the results can be unpredictable (views can be lost offscreen), so it is a good idea to have a screenset saved with all views on the home screen so that you can revert to that if need be. Just remember that when the project is opened it will default to the screenset that was active upon saving.

Best of luck with the show. Sounds great:)

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
mudgel
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: LIVE Setup -> 3 monitors + 3 staff views = 1 staff view on each monitor 2017/03/21 11:18:03 (permalink)
Send a pm to member Kicksville. They have been running live shows using Sonar for many years. Maybe there's some advice they can offer that will make your journey that much smoother.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
tenfoot
Re: LIVE Setup -> 3 monitors + 3 staff views = 1 staff view on each monitor 2017/03/21 14:12:48 (permalink)
mudgel
Send a pm to member Kicksville. They have been running live shows using Sonar for many years. Maybe there's some advice they can offer that will make your journey that much smoother.

I don't think you are able to PM until you get your post count up, but maybe they'll swing by. Luckily many here have been running live shows for years:)
post edited by tenfoot - 2017/03/21 14:56:07

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
psiwko
Re: LIVE Setup -> 3 monitors + 3 staff views = 1 staff view on each monitor 2017/03/21 15:18:45 (permalink)
Thank you Bruce and Mike for trying to help. I'll definitely "test the ground" with Bruce's suggestions. This whole concept reminds of what Logic Pro X offers with (they call it) scoresets. here in Sonar we call it screensets. Anyway, I will report the results soon. Probably within the next few days. Thanks again for responding to my dilemma.

Paul
kicksville
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 273
Re: LIVE Setup -> 3 monitors + 3 staff views = 1 staff view on each monitor 2017/03/21 19:09:51 (permalink)
Hi Paul,

Yep - what Bruce said.... Sonar will remember where windows were after the last file save when you open the project, even if you don't save the layout specifically as a screenset (as long as you don't open a different screenset along the way). And if you ever run your system without the 3 monitors, his suggestion about saving a second screenset with all windows returned to the dock is a good one too.

Conrad
psiwko
Re: LIVE Setup -> 3 monitors + 3 staff views = 1 staff view on each monitor 2017/03/24 03:29:46 (permalink)
Million thanks for all of your help! It all works perfectly! Now, having this out of the way, I can concentrate on next steps of prepping the show. Thank you !

Paul

PSB
tenfoot
Re: LIVE Setup -> 3 monitors + 3 staff views = 1 staff view on each monitor 2017/03/24 07:38:57 (permalink)
Great news Paul:)

Bruce.

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1