Labyrinth (work on going)

Author
RussjWhite
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 511
2014/08/16 16:23:51 (permalink)

Labyrinth (work on going)

Hi People,
  Another new track that I've been working on this week. I've got a whole 2 mins written. :) yay.
The idea behind this piece is a dangerous, dark labyrinth, still keeping with my night theme. 
Please take a listen and give me your views and ideas.

Kindest regards,
                Gus

https://soundcloud.com/russ-white/labyrinth   
post edited by gusrogers - 2014/08/18 02:59:04

BL Cakewalk 
ATHM50 Cans
VRM Box
East West

13 Replies Related Threads

RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re: Labyrinth (work on going) 2014/08/17 02:20:41 (permalink)
    I kind of get where you are going with this.
    I like to listen instrumental music "visually", if that makes sense. I suspect that, as part of a larger project, which your introduction suggests, the context of this might be more clear. I also suspect that the imagery is quite clear in your own mind. Run with that. Paint it for us with the instruments.
    The darkness is good (I love dark), but I'm not quite getting a well defined image of where you are trying to take us.
    I realize you are early in the project, so don't take that as a dig, but as food for thought.
    As for the mix(so far), it seems to be at a point I was at with Khyber Pass for a bit. Individual instruments(and voices) are overly hot, and don't have their own space. This is where I pull all the faders down.
    Bring them up slowly and EQ, pan, compress judiciously. Pay close attention, and you will hear the instruments sort of "pop" into place. Ultimately, you can get the loudness, but have significantly more impact, because the various instruments are cleaner and not fighting each other for space.
    You've got a good start here, and I really like what you are doing with that piano.
    Work it.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    RussjWhite
    Re: Labyrinth (work on going) 2014/08/17 04:30:24 (permalink)
    RobertB
    I kind of get where you are going with this.
    I like to listen instrumental music "visually", if that makes sense. I suspect that, as part of a larger project, which your introduction suggests, the context of this might be more clear. I also suspect that the imagery is quite clear in your own mind. Run with that. Paint it for us with the instruments.
    The darkness is good (I love dark), but I'm not quite getting a well defined image of where you are trying to take us.
    I realize you are early in the project, so don't take that as a dig, but as food for thought.
    As for the mix(so far), it seems to be at a point I was at with Khyber Pass for a bit. Individual instruments(and voices) are overly hot, and don't have their own space. This is where I pull all the faders down.
    Bring them up slowly and EQ, pan, compress judiciously. Pay close attention, and you will hear the instruments sort of "pop" into place. Ultimately, you can get the loudness, but have significantly more impact, because the various instruments are cleaner and not fighting each other for space.
    You've got a good start here, and I really like what you are doing with that piano.
    Work it.

Musically it's meant to sound dark and with tones of unease. There are parts where the violas are making a warning sound (to my ears anyway) Have a look at picture of the labyrinth of buda castle. This piece isn't based on it as I feel they might be a more egyptian labyrinth to it cuz of the oboe playing phrygian dominant, But the buda castle photos help with the picture that I trying to paint.

Thanks for the advice on the mixing. I'm doing a bit of a mix as I'm writing, (no EQing at all) I will do my utmost to get a fine balance of all of the instruments and there a lot of them. 
    Thanks for the comments.

BL Cakewalk 
    ATHM50 Cans
    VRM Box
    East West
    The Band19
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2795
    Re: Labyrinth (work on going) 2014/08/17 13:10:40 (permalink)
    It's difficult to twerk to (believe me, I tried), but I enjoy the orchestra and appreciate the work that goes in to it. Like one high schooler said to the other the day after the prom? Nice score!

Sittin downtown in a railway station one toke over the line.
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: Labyrinth (work on going) 2014/08/17 14:49:19 (permalink)
    Keeping the furry ears open for the next version of this sounds like it could well be interesting.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    drma173
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 752
    Re: Labyrinth (work on going) 2014/08/18 13:49:38 (permalink)
    how you get those vocals? are they midi???? this could be use
    in a movie man nice scoring
    stevec
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: Labyrinth (work on going) 2014/08/18 14:58:37 (permalink)
    Very cool.    I don't know if I'm getting "dark" as much as I am "mysterious", but I like it either way.   The scales are working for that Egyptian vibe IMO, as are the vocal samples.   It sounds like you're heading towards something that could work as a trailer for The Mummy movies.

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

The Band19
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2795
    Re: Labyrinth (work on going) 2014/08/18 19:36:11 (permalink)
    I try to "walk like an Egyptian."

Sittin downtown in a railway station one toke over the line.
    Freddy J
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2348
    Re: Labyrinth (work on going) 2014/08/18 21:18:21 (permalink)
    Definitely a cinematic sound.  To me it has a feeling of a medieval chant that sets up an anticipatory feeling of some kind of doom.  To me it is the kind of sound that Galileo must have felt when he was facing the wrath of the church.  Therefore, I do feel a sense of danger and uneasiness.  I like where you are going with this and look forward to listening to its conclusion.
    RussjWhite
    Re: Labyrinth (work on going) 2014/08/19 17:19:11 (permalink)
    The Band19
    It's difficult to twerk to (believe me, I tried), but I enjoy the orchestra and appreciate the work that goes in to it. Like one high schooler said to the other the day after the prom? Nice score!

Have you tried to  twerk like an Egyptian? :) 

BL Cakewalk 
    ATHM50 Cans
    VRM Box
    East West
    RussjWhite
    Re: Labyrinth (work on going) 2014/08/19 17:20:12 (permalink)
    Wookiee
    Keeping the furry ears open for the next version of this sounds like it could well be interesting.

Hope I can keep it up! don't want to disappoint 

BL Cakewalk 
    ATHM50 Cans
    VRM Box
    East West
    RussjWhite
    Re: Labyrinth (work on going) 2014/08/19 17:21:16 (permalink)
    drma173
    how you get those vocals? are they midi???? this could be use
    in a movie man nice scoring

yes, MIDI. I don't have access to a real choir. not yet! I've joined an orchestra though. 

BL Cakewalk 
    ATHM50 Cans
    VRM Box
    East West
    RussjWhite
    Re: Labyrinth (work on going) 2014/08/19 17:22:50 (permalink)
    stevec
    Very cool.    I don't know if I'm getting "dark" as much as I am "mysterious", but I like it either way.   The scales are working for that Egyptian vibe IMO, as are the vocal samples.   It sounds like you're heading towards something that could work as a trailer for The Mummy movies.

:) well I hear dark. I'm too scared to continue writing it!! ;) Gotta work out where to go now.

BL Cakewalk 
    ATHM50 Cans
    VRM Box
    East West
    RussjWhite
    Re: Labyrinth (work on going) 2014/08/19 17:27:44 (permalink)
    Freddy J
    Definitely a cinematic sound.  To me it has a feeling of a medieval chant that sets up an anticipatory feeling of some kind of doom.  To me it is the kind of sound that Galileo must have felt when he was facing the wrath of the church.  Therefore, I do feel a sense of danger and uneasiness.  I like where you are going with this and look forward to listening to its conclusion.

I'm pleased that I'm forming this kinda picture in your head. I'm thinking Seth and Horus, probably Seth, since he's liked to the dark. 
    Thanks for posting to you and all. :)

BL Cakewalk 
    ATHM50 Cans
    VRM Box
    East West
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1