Lap Steel Preset/Mix

Author
Maarkr
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 488
2016/07/14 14:42:27 (permalink)

Lap Steel Preset/Mix

I have a NOT-high-end lap steel that I picked up for a project.  I put new strings on it in open E.  I'm trying to get a nice clean country steel sound.  Obviously, some samples that I have of pro pedal sounds are so clear and well-made, and I can't come close to replicate it.  I have Amplitube 3, Waves GTR, Guitar Rig 5 (not the full one), and of course Sonar Pro w TH3.  I think the pickups on the lap steel introduce enough distortion that I just can't get there from here.

Anyone got any setups for this thing?  

Maarkr
Studio: SPALT Lifetime/BL Cakewalk, Studio One 3.5, UAD, Z3ta+2, IKM, NI, Waves, iZotope, Melda, Reaper
i7 3770/Giga Z77 mobo, Win10 Pro-64 w16Gb, MOTU Ultralite MK4, Yamaha HS80M wSub, Live: PX-5S, FA-06, Roland Lucina, Epi Les Paul, Ibanez Bass, Amps, e-drums, Zoom R-16...
Latest album release, NEW! Counry Classic at http://genemaarkr.bandcamp.com/

8 Replies Related Threads

mesayre
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 195
    Re: Lap Steel Preset/Mix 2016/07/14 18:13:36 (permalink)
    I'm only a casual lap steel player, but I'm able to get results I'm pretty happy with using an old Oahu lap steel. 

I found these videos helpful:
    http://www.howcast.com/videos/512272-best-effects-to-use-pedal-steel-guitar/

I think a delay can also be helpful in rounding out the sound without having to apply a lot of gain. Also, tasteful spring reverb. If you're distorting at the pickup, mess with the guitar's volume perhaps?

Amp-wise, I end up going through my Fender Mustang most of the time, because it's got some late 50's fender models, a Silvertone model, and a nice sparkly Princeton that seem to cover the bases for me. I like the the Princeton with a little spring verb. I haven't tried the Tweed model in TH3 (I've yet to upgrade), but that might work. 

Mike Sayre
    Composer, Horn Player

Sonar Platinum, Win10x64

My new album, Music for Icebergs, is now on iTunes
    ampfixer
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5508
    Re: Lap Steel Preset/Mix 2016/07/14 20:37:30 (permalink)
    I've had a few lap steels and for that real clean sound I find that very heavy flat wound strings are important. For more raunchy blues the round wounds seem better because the slide and you fingers seem to generate more noise.
    I had trouble getting the right strings locally so I bought them at juststrings.com.

Regards, John 
     I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
    WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
    patm300e
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 845
    Re: Lap Steel Preset/Mix 2016/07/15 07:53:04 (permalink)
    Try asking fireberd about his settings.  He is a steel player...
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/Profile/45769/

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
    tlw
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re: Lap Steel Preset/Mix 2016/07/15 12:29:05 (permalink)
    You won't get a clean sound out of an amplifier if the signal you are sending into it is high enough to push it into clipping, or if the gain the amp is set to is high enough to push it into clipping.

So for a clean sound you need to be using an amplifier that has a lot of headroom before it clips and make sure you aren't sending it such a hot signal that you use up all the clean headroom. The pickups are a factor, but the instrument's volume control, how hard you pick and amp and effects settings make more of a difference. You can play distorted heavy metal on a low-output Stratocaster and clean jazz on a high-output ESP. Lapsteels tend to have quite high output pickpups, at least my two do. This is because the strings are usually a long way above the pickup so it needs to have more output to compensate, and also to give a usable output level as the string vibrations get less to add more sustain

For a clean sound you could try this.

For the amp pick a Fender, preferably Blackface. Try a Princeton or a Twin Reverb. In e.g. Amplitube pay close attention to the plugin input gain. Keep it out of the red. Keep the amp model volume and tone controls fairly low, especially the volume. That will give a clean sound, but one probably lacking in sustain. A mildly cranked Twin or similar might get you a clean enough sound with enough sustain on it's own if you get the settings exactly right.

Otherwise, to get the sustain back add a compressor in front of the amp (between steel and amp). Either something like a Dynacomp pedal or a full-blown VST one. Keep the attack short, release can be fairly long. You need it to be adding a few dB as the signal from the steel starts to drop off. Watch how much gain it adds, too much will overdrive the amp.

Then add spring reverb.

Or get a small valve combo, run it at a low gain and volume setting where it's clean and put a microphone in front of it. Add a pedal compressor if needed and there you go. Can be far easier than trying to get the same result out of software.

Quite a lot of clean country recorded pedal steel is done by plugging the steel into the desk, no amp, then compressing and eqing it. Or mixing a direct signal with one from an amp. Might be worth a try as well.

Edited to add - presets aren't really much use in this kind of situation, unless the preset was created using the same instrument as you, the same instrument settings as you, played in the way you play by someone with the same touch as you and the oreset was created by someone aware of and aiming for the sound in your head. :-)
    post edited by tlw - 2016/07/15 12:50:29

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: Lap Steel Preset/Mix 2016/07/18 08:55:27 (permalink)
    Yep... steel guitar and lap steel pickups should be built to give you a clean output. 

Try turning the volume control (physically) on the steel down a bit.  I've noticed on my guitar, doing that cleans up the sound a bit as well.  Wide open, you get the full effect of the pickup and overdrive is very possible.  

Also look at the amp or model you are using. experiment with a few. Look for the very simple and clean models to work with the LS.

Typically, you want crystal clean sound.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    jerrydf
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 280
    Re: Lap Steel Preset/Mix 2016/07/22 03:06:39 (permalink)
    I've also found that using a lap steel for a country steel emulation, the eq needs thickening, e.g. have a gentle lift, maybe around 1Khz (bearing in mind how much headroom you have for that peak before peaking sets in)

edit - added: I have often wondered, in a rash moment what a Lollar pickup would sound like in the lap, as used in Ry Cooder's first Coodercaster.

jdf

i5 6500 3.2GHz; 16GB; Win10 on SSD1; recording and samples on SSD2;  + 3 other HDDs; 2 monitors in landscape;  back with CbB and also Cubase 10 Pro,  Komplete 11, Steinberg UR22.
    Instruments: Various fretboards and amplifiers.
    Listen to ... Cosmic Two-Step (2017)
    Maarkr
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 488
    Re: Lap Steel Preset/Mix 2016/07/22 22:31:44 (permalink)
    Thanks... it's getting there.  I turned down the volume control, ran the signal thru an Amplitube Fender Twin Reverb (forgot which patch), put in a fender compressor pedal and sent it thru a spring reverb.   Adjusted the eq a bit listening with the mix and it seems good to me.
    Now I need a good overdriven sound without sounding gain/distortion-tacky.

Maarkr
    Studio: SPALT Lifetime/BL Cakewalk, Studio One 3.5, UAD, Z3ta+2, IKM, NI, Waves, iZotope, Melda, Reaper
    i7 3770/Giga Z77 mobo, Win10 Pro-64 w16Gb, MOTU Ultralite MK4, Yamaha HS80M wSub, Live: PX-5S, FA-06, Roland Lucina, Epi Les Paul, Ibanez Bass, Amps, e-drums, Zoom R-16...
    Latest album release, NEW! Counry Classic at http://genemaarkr.bandcamp.com/
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: Lap Steel Preset/Mix 2016/08/13 14:26:47 (permalink)
    For pedal steel, everything is "squeaky clean".  Sometimes I run from Steel to volume pedal to POD X3 (clean preamp) direct to board.  Sometimes I go to the board with a SansAmp unit.  Occasionally I either run from the XLR out on my Carvin BX500 amp or I'll mic it with an SM57.  I recently got a Focusrite ISA One preamp, I'll have to give that a shot the next time I do any steel.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1