Laptop Battery power up issue?

Author
The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
2010/08/11 09:27:27 (permalink)

Hi everyone, Two weeks ago I was on the road and my 6 month old laptop seemed to die. It was suggested by a few members here that my battery probably died.

I followed a procedure where I removed the battery and held the power button down for a few minutes. I tried that a few times and had no luck.

I am now off the road and have purchased a internal SATA HDD enclosure. Today, I intended to pull the drive and make a final backup before sending the laptop in for warranty repair.

I haven't had the machine out of it's carry bag for 10 days.

On a lark  thought I'd pull the battery again and give it a try. Pow! The system booted right up.

So, I think I might be ok and just need a new battery.

What's the deal with these batteries? Is this a common issue?

Is power savings somehow involved? I am trying to think through why something had to clear on the motherboard before the system would boot. It seems like there must be some sort of hard reset on the motherboard... and that the "push power button for two minutes" procedure is some sort of substitute.

Any thoughts?

What should I tell Toshiba about my battery?

Thanks very much,
mike

post edited by mike_mccue - 2010/08/11 09:35:52

21 Replies Related Threads

fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re:Laptop Battery power up issue? 2010/08/11 12:55:23 (permalink)
    The "hold the power button in" will drain any leftover power in a desktop power supply.  I don't know about a laptop.  I doubt that it had any affect on the laptop.

As the battery set unused for a period it could build back up to a certain extent.  If it's a NiCad type battery it can have the "charge effect" and if not fully discharged before charging it can develop a problem of not charging or only partially charging.   The charger can also be an issue. 

There have been recalls on a lot of laptop batteries made by (I think Sony) that were used by almost every PC maker.  Maybe this is one of the recalled batteries.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    ba_midi
    • Total Posts : 14061
    Re:Laptop Battery power up issue? 2010/08/11 12:55:26 (permalink)
    This may or may not be of help / use to you ...

There have been a RASH of complaints around the globe about batteries lately - mostly on systems running Windows 7.  I can attest there are some problems from first hand experience on my 2 laptops.

Here are the 2 things that have been most reported, from what I gather:

1- The battery will be plugged in but say "not charging"
    2- The battery, even after calibration, shuts down the system with a remaining charge of over 90%.

I had both those things happen on 2 different systems.   It's not JUST on Windows 7 machines, just mostly it seems.

It turns out there was a solution for both - and a battery I thought had died was, in fact, still very good -- even though I spent over 100 bucks (shipping, tax, etc) getting a new one (sigh).

Solutions:

For problem #1, go into DEVICE MANAGER.  Under the BATTERY category, delete the "ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery" and if there are 2, delete them both.   It's ok - Windows will automatically reinstall them.   Be on AC power with the battery in the laptop when doing this.

That should solve the "plugged in - not charging" issue.

For problem #2, go into Control Panel - Power settings - Advanced (this may differ on XP vs Windows 7, but each should have a way to adjust advanced power settings).   You'll be looking for the way Windows handles notifications and management of low power level warnings and actions for "Battery".

In my case - the settings got "magically" changed to some rediculous value for both the low-level warning and the critical-level warning and management.  

NORMAL settings are roughly 10% for "low level" warning, and 5% for "critical level" warning -- with "hybernate" set as the action to take when critical level is below 5%.    Again, this is the NORMAL and usually DEFAULT settings.

It seems a LOT of users have discovered that, out of the blue, these values got changed to "98%" for low level and "95%" for critical, and "shut down" for action.

WTF????    Yeah that's what I said when I discovered these settings seemed to have changed after a "windows update" !

At any rate, before you throw out your possibly good battery, check both those scenarios.   If you're lucky, your battery is just fine and you'll begin to wonder why/how that happens, eh?

I'm much more cynical these days about the ways users can be manipulated via technology (Microsoft has often used their updates to mess things up when it's time to get people to upgrade!).

Anyway, check those settings.  Maybe you'll get lucky like I did to find they were wrong, and you can correct them yourself.

HTH

post edited by ba_midi - 2010/08/11 12:58:24

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    ba_midi
    Re:Laptop Battery power up issue? 2010/08/11 13:01:09 (permalink)
    BTW, if you discover your battery is actually good - it might be wise to fully calibrate it after reinstalling the ACPI control method battery driver as above.

TO calibrate:  fully drain the battery.  Then plugin AC power and fully charge before use.

That's the 'usual' method.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re:Laptop Battery power up issue? 2010/08/11 13:17:34 (permalink)
    I suspect it was stuck in hibernation. Most laptops will hibernate automatically by default if the power gets low, and some have problems waking up. The flag that is set to tell windows not to boot from the hard drive normally, but to read the hibernation file into memory and start, and for some reason when it tries to do that the wake up sequence fails. Attaching line power might override this problem. You might want to set your power saving up so that the machine never hibernates.

Your manual should have the location of the reset button. Sometimes this is accessed through a small hole on the back using a paper clip. That will do a warm reboot to a running machine, but I would not expect it to do anything for a machine that is off or hibernating. Detatching the power and the battery will kill an active machine (running or suspended?), but will leave you in an undefined state--a last ditch measure in a machine that will not shut down. Holding the power button down for several seconds will sometimes force a power off of a running machine or resume one from suspend or hibernate.

google: "laptop boot hibernate battery"
    http://laptopforums.toshiba.com/t5/Batteries-and-Power/Boot-failure-after-battery-drain/m-p/88672
    post edited by slartabartfast - 2010/08/11 13:21:39
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:Laptop Battery power up issue? 2010/08/11 14:03:26 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone.

Billy, I checked my device manager and I only have one instance of the controller and the charging seemed to work normally until the morning the system stopped booting.

I checked my sleep settings. They are set to "never" and the display is set to sleep at 2 minutes for battery and 10 minutes for AC. This is not my DAW... so I use the display power saving. My advanced power battery notification settings had not been changed to 98%... they all seemed to be what you described as default.

If any one might recall, the symptom was total deadness... it would not even begin to boot... no bios no nothing etc.

This morning I pulled the battery again and when I pressed the power button the leds lit right up.

I don't think it's all fixed yet and I'm sort of scared to put the battery back in.

best regards,
    mike
    post edited by mike_mccue - 2010/08/11 14:08:45

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:Laptop Battery power up issue? 2010/08/11 14:14:11 (permalink)
    The other thing I have noticed is that my computer thinks it is Aug 20th 2009 and the clock is about 12 hours off.

Is that a clue?

ba_midi
    Re:Laptop Battery power up issue? 2010/08/11 14:18:45 (permalink)
    mike_mccue

The other thing I have noticed is that my computer thinks it is Aug 20th 2009 and the clock is about 12 hours off.

Is that a clue?

That is a sign that your motherboard's cmos battery is bad.   That may be the cause of all of this.
    If you can change that, it'd be worth the shot.

BTW, deleting the ACPI compliant control method battery is still ok to do.  It's harmless as it gets reinstalled automatically.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:Laptop Battery power up issue? 2010/08/11 14:31:27 (permalink)
    I was thinking that as well.

I have to go get my packaging and docs etc.

best,
    mike

ba_midi
    Re:Laptop Battery power up issue? 2010/08/11 14:32:29 (permalink)

checked my sleep settings. They are set to "never" and the display is set to sleep at 2 minutes for battery and 10 minutes for AC. This is not my DAW... so I use the display power saving. My advanced power battery notification settings had not been changed to 98%... they all seemed to be what you described as default.

Mike,

Just for clarity - I wasn't talking about the sleep settings.  There are "notifications and actions" settings as well.  They are usually in some 'advanced' dialogue.

This is where you set (or Windows sets as defaults) the values for when to be notified for low or critical levels AND what action the system will take upon reaching critical level.    This is different than the "power plan" settings, though in Windows 7 you go there to get to these "advanced" notification settings.

I would suggest you double check those when on AC power, just as a precaution or to eliminate that as a possible issue.

Woops - I just noticed you seemed to have done that.

OOC, what is your "Critical" setting (both the level and alarm/action) set to?

post edited by ba_midi - 2010/08/11 14:46:57

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:Laptop Battery power up issue? 2010/08/11 15:39:35 (permalink)
    Hi Billy,
     Here's a screen shot:

johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:Laptop Battery power up issue? 2010/08/11 16:10:17 (permalink)
    Ya don't run out a buy a new battery. I did that ( $100+)  and nothing changed!  my laptop still only shows 55% charged all the time. Seems stuck there.  I tried a different power supply from a friends Acer and still same story. I never use the battery so I just ignore it. I'll try some of Billy's ideas though.
    Sounds like that COMS battery is loose in its pocket to me. Those things used to last 15 years normally but who knows of what quality  is expected from good old China these days.

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

ba_midi
    Re:Laptop Battery power up issue? 2010/08/12 02:06:13 (permalink)
    i Billy, Here's a screen shot:

Mike,

Those certainly look correct.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

ba_midi
    Re:Laptop Battery power up issue? 2010/08/12 02:08:17 (permalink)
    johnnyV

Ya don't run out a buy a new battery. I did that ( $100+)  and nothing changed!  my laptop still only shows 55% charged all the time. Seems stuck there.  I tried a different power supply from a friends Acer and still same story. I never use the battery so I just ignore it. I'll try some of Billy's ideas though.
    Sounds like that COMS battery is loose in its pocket to me. Those things used to last 15 years normally but who knows of what quality  is expected from good old China these days.

Johnny,

One of the very first things I learned when I did some of my first jingles many years ago -- was the concept of "Razors and Blades."    That is - you only sell the razor (think laptop) once in a while, but you keep them comin' back for the blades (think batteries).

That being said - definitely calibrate your battery and definitely try the things I mentioned.  You should see a difference on the new battery, at least.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

fireberd
    Re:Laptop Battery power up issue? 2010/08/12 06:51:57 (permalink)
    Replace the CMOS (BIOS) battery and then reset any customized BIOS entries and go from there.  On most Desktops it's a CR2032 battery.  On many laptops (depending on age) it's a different battery.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:Laptop Battery power up issue? 2010/08/12 08:07:18 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone.

The power battery seemed to work very well. The laptop was purchased in Feburary from Toshiba Direct. It's still under warranty etc.

As I say, the battery worked well, the computer would stay powetred up for 1-1/2 hrs. The power shut down seemed normal.

But the situation is that one night I used the computer on wall power til 2am. The next morning at 7am the computer would not boot.

I haven't put the power battery back in yet... but here was very little evidence that it was having any troubles.

I will have to learn where to find the cmos battery on this laptop. I am familiar with them on desktops and they are easy to locate. I have only been inside a laptop a few times... although I have taken one down to it's smallest assemblies once... so I think I can do this. :-)

Billy when I put the power battery back in I'll take another look at the calibration procedure.

I am now wondering if I somehow jammed up the system by closing the lid on it before it was fully shut down. Maybe I put it to sleep right when it was trying to shut down and it got jammed up?

I also wonder if the procedure where I held down the power button for a few minutes reset my bios clock? It seems to be keeping time now... so perhaps I forced a reset? perhaps the battery is ok?

Thank again,
    mike

fireberd
    Re:Laptop Battery power up issue? 2010/08/12 08:57:32 (permalink)
    Being under warranty, I wouldn't even screw with it.  I'd call Toshiba and let them straighten it out.

"GCSG Productions"
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:Laptop Battery power up issue? 2010/08/12 09:14:28 (permalink)
    Thanks... I was prepared to do that, and then it came back to life. :-)

I was/am not looking forward to sending it off and getting something returned that might not accept an Acronis image restore with my OS and apps tweaked as I like. If I have to load all my gen purpose software again I will lose another 3 days of installing and downloading GBs of updates. (I have a full collection of Adobe products etc etc)

If I had sent it in they would have booted it right up as I just did... and then they would have thought I was crazy. That makes the risk of losing my setup seem worth avoiding.

I am going to investigate the location of the cmos battery. I'll also work up the nerve to reinstall the power battery and see if the troubles resume... then I'll consider sending off the power battery for possible warranty.

I appreciate all the good advice.

best regards,
    mike

slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re:Laptop Battery power up issue? 2010/08/12 15:05:10 (permalink)
    I also wonder if the procedure where I held down the power button for a few minutes reset my bios clock? It seems to be keeping time now... so perhaps I forced a reset? perhaps the battery is ok?

Your bios clock would have had to have a reference to reset to if it were wrong in the first place. If you reset the system time manually while the OS is running, that would usually reset the BIOS/hardware clock. If you did not. unless you connected to the internet and had an application running to update system time via an online clock, how did it figure out what time it is? So rather than resetting the bios clock, it is more likely that the bios clock was never wrong, but that the system time was off.

Remember that you are usually seeing "system time" not "bios time" when you are looking at your screen. Although the bios time is usually reporting to the OS and acts as the source timekeeper, when you hibernate you are putting the system state into a file on the drive. That system state includes the time when the hibernation occurred. Sometimes the system fails to update the system time from the hardware clock when resuming from hibernation.

My wife's Toshiba laptop has a small switch that actuates when you shut the cover. What action that switch takes is programmable, so shutting the case can cause the system to shut down, hibernate or suspend.
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:Laptop Battery power up issue? 2010/08/12 15:34:29 (permalink)
    that switch is set to "sleep" on my system.

johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:Laptop Battery power up issue? 2010/08/13 19:05:29 (permalink)
    Ya don't send in your laptop unless it's good and broken.
    My daughters Sony laptop hard drive failed while still under warranty They do not do data recovery or give you the old drive. They just swap parts and redo OS to original. It was Vista ( hated it)  and she had upgraded to W7 and she offered the disks but they cant do that either. So after we recovered most of the files she took it back to Sony. They had it for 3 weeks and then we had to re install W7. Next time she will just buy the parts and do it at home.

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

sanddeepk
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Laptop Battery power up issue? 2010/08/29 08:21:14 (permalink)

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1