Laptop Soundcard

Author
Zhorell
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 42
2009/05/25 16:08:21 (permalink)

Laptop Soundcard

Hi Group!!

Bought a new Sony Viao VGN Laptop that's got P8600, 4 Gig, 400 Gig HD, Vista home 64 bit.. I couln't hear anything from the Mic input, but there is signal goin' through.. I tried to use it on a differenet application still couldn't hear anything? I think it's the crappy built in soundcard?

Anyway's I might be looking to get a express soundcard or usb soundcard, I tried that Creative Blaster express card before, it's got very noticeable delay on the Mic input.. Any other brand (basic) soundcard you would be good that's got no delay on the input recording?

Thanks!

9 Replies Related Threads

Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Laptop Soundcard 2009/05/25 18:20:27 (permalink)
    there is a fair few

depends , I mean you could go for firewire, but you might find you have chipset problems with the machine itself

or something usb..

edirol / cakewalk.. etc etc

depends how many in's / outs you want really and your budget.

if your in the US have a look at sweetwater.com if your in the UK or europe try dv247.com or thomann.de
    CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Laptop Sound Card 2009/05/25 18:21:56 (permalink)
    don't get a sound blaster. Get an Echo, edirol, motu or m audio sound card.
    The reason you don't hear anything from your onboard card is that its not meant for recording. It has no pre-amp, so how could you even use a condenser mic with it and it has those tiny 1/8" inputs and those will do nothing but harm your signal. The onboard also has nothing good for drivers either.

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Zhorell
    RE: Laptop Sound Card 2009/05/27 02:50:17 (permalink)
    Hi Guys! Thanks for the Inputs! I've tired to use my Line 6 Podx3 Preamp & Digitech Voicelive4 no sound, but there is signal recorded.. boost the mic gain and everything nada..

I e-mailed RealTek soundcard Manufacturer for my Sony Laptop. They say it's the hardware is limited(?)..
    So if anyone out to buy a new Laptop, Make sure it doesn't have RealTek Soundcrap lol..

I might return this Sony and get the HP, it's got a better soundcard :D

CJaysMusic
    RE: Laptop Sound Card 2009/05/27 07:27:21 (permalink)
    I e-mailed RealTek soundcard Manufacturer for my Sony Laptop. They say it's the hardware is limited(?)..
    So if anyone out to buy a new Laptop, Make sure it doesn't have RealTek Soundcrap lol..

its well know that any onboard sound cards are crap and not meant to be used with sonar or any other recording software. Getting another laptop with another onboard sound card wont do anything but waste your money and time. I use A motu Firewire sound card. you need to get either a firewire or usb sound card form a company like Edirol, Motu, Echo, M-audio, or RME. These are makers of audio sound cards. an HP laptop will still have a crappy onboard sound card. All stock sound cards that come with laptops and desktops are poop.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    jcschild
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3409
    RE: Laptop Sound Card 2009/05/27 09:42:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Zhorell

Hi Guys! Thanks for the Inputs! I've tired to use my Line 6 Podx3 Preamp & Digitech Voicelive4 no sound, but there is signal recorded.. boost the mic gain and everything nada..

you do NOT use the onboard audio for anything concerning pro audio. get a real sound card.
    FYI better buy usb as i doubt any firewire will work

Scott
    ADK
    Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
    Zhorell
    RE: Laptop Sound Card 2009/05/28 01:52:00 (permalink)
    I do plan to buy an external audio interface, but for the meantime I want to be able to hear/monitor my Incoming recording (online karaoke lol) on the soundcard, I was told certain HP Models and Dell Studio Laptops has those capabilities on the onboard soundcard?
    Is it true?
    CJaysMusic
    RE: Laptop Sound Card 2009/05/28 07:45:33 (permalink)
    I do plan to buy an external audio interface, but for the meantime I want to be able to hear/monitor my Incoming recording (online karaoke lol) on the sound card, I was told certain HP Models and Dell Studio Laptops has those capabilities on the onboard sound card?
    Is it true?

Every single pc with a sound card has those capabilities. you'll need to transfer the karaoke into sonar some how or way. Import the file or drag and drop. you may need to convert it to a wave file first. I dunno, i never did karaoke, I just record, mix and master with sonar (its what it was made for). You bought an expensive karaoke program in sonar. Read the help file on how to set up your onboard sound card and find out what format the karaoke is and then convert it and/or import it into sonar. Its nothing hard, you just need to learn how to use sonar. Take one step at a time with the manual, read one section at at time until you learn it and then move on. Maybe sonar is too complex to learn if its just for karaoke.
    Cj

Audio Blog
    jcschild
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3409
    RE: Laptop Sound Card 2009/05/28 11:21:55 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Zhorell

I do plan to buy an external audio interface, but for the meantime I want to be able to hear/monitor my Incoming recording (online karaoke lol) on the soundcard, I was told certain HP Models and Dell Studio Laptops has those capabilities on the onboard soundcard?
    Is it true?

and chances are none of those laptops will work for a pro audio interface unless you buy usb (generally not recommended)

but for karaoke i am sure its fine...

Scott
    ADK
    Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
    Zhorell
    RE: Laptop Sound Card 2009/05/29 11:46:17 (permalink)
    I will not use Sonar P8 for that on-line karaoke thingie lol. I've noticed with Vista and Laptop soundcard don't have the "What you hear" option on the soundcard, maybe that's one of the reason I can't hear/monitor the incoming signal?

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1