Author
J.W.
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10
2010/09/02 08:35:44 (permalink)

Laptop noise/interference sounds like high-pitched morse code

Hi all,

(New to the forum!)

I'm getting some strange high-pitched interference with my guitar plugged in to my set up, the only way I can describe it is that it sounds a bit like morse code. I'm aware of others having the same issue so perhaps together we can get to the bottom of it.

I'm using a Windows 7 Dell Studio 1557 i7 laptop with an UA-25EX interface and guitar plugged in via a Sansamp GT2, sometimes I plug the guitar straight into the UA-25EX and use a plugin like Guitar Rig 3 or similar (in Sonar 8.5). When I have gain settings up high, using either the Sansamp or a software plugin, I get the above mentioned noise.

I don't think it's to do with my laptop's power supply unit as the noise is still there when it's turned off. In fact with the power supply off I can get rid of a very feint mains hum I sometimes get, which isn't a big issue anyway.

When I move the guitar near to the laptop (keyboard area) the "morse code" gets very loud. So something in the laptop base must be causing the interference and it's being picked up by the guitar pickups. The noise is worse with single coil pickups and only slightly better with twin coils. If I sit with the guitar about 6 feet or more away then I can eliminate the noise - this is a solution, but I would prefer to sit nearer to the laptop!

Even if I plug my guitar and Sansamp into another recorder, for example an old Tascam 4-track, and monitor though headphones, my guitar still manages to pick up the laptop interference, so it's not the laptop set up as such that's causing the problem - it's the interference it creates in the nearby vicinity. If I turn the laptop off, the noise stops.

So.....how do I stop the laptop from generating the noise? I'm sure the drives and various other innards are the cause and there probably isn't a solution...or is there?

If I press the button on my laptop to turn off the wireless, for about 1 second the noise completely stops, then it starts again. The noise is there whether the wireless is on or off, it's only during the switching process that it stops. The same is true when I disconnect the power supply unit...the noise is there whether the power is connected or not, it's only during the switching process that it stops.

This suggests that it may be possible to switch off some option or other in the laptop to disable the noise. But I don't have a clue where to start - does anyone have any suggestions? My Dell does not have Bluetooth.

I have bought a powered USB hub, I have yet to try this but don't know if it will help. I'm also wondering if turning off my wireless router may help but have yet to try this.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Many thanks

JW

13 Replies Related Threads

Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:Laptop noise/interference sounds like high-pitched morse code 2010/09/02 12:22:52 (permalink)
    Two things:

Try using a high quality USB cable to connect the audio interface.
    I once had an issue with a Motif ES... where it introduced some 'digital hash' when connected via a poorly shielded USB cable.
    Swapped out the cable... and the noise was gone.

Electric guitar/bass pickups are going to pickup stray EM noise.
    Single coils are definitely more prone to this... (the singles on a Ric 4003 pickup every stray noise within a 5-mile radious! )
    You may want to have the guitar pickups/cavities shielded.  This will help a lot if you want to work with the guitar next to other electical gear.  It won't help if you're directly in front of the EM source... but you can turn just a little and mitigate the noise.
    I installed Nordstrand 70s in my J-bass... and shielded the cavity and pups.  Made a huge difference!

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    jasonthurley
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 264
    Re:Laptop noise/interference sounds like high-pitched morse code 2010/09/02 12:32:40 (permalink)
    This noise is created by the computers processing....

That is why it goes away when you stop your wireless(it computes the "end program" and then the processor is idle.. so the noise stops.

One thing to try... unplug your laptop from the wall and run on battery... see if it goes away

The "sound card" you are using is connected to the "ground" of the mother board which the entire board is grounded to....  This happens on almost all laptops if you use the onboard sound card... plug in a pair of headphones with no DAW running and turn up the volume all the way and then open up a program(any) you will here the "morse code" will go with your processor light ...

J.W.
    Re:Laptop noise/interference sounds like high-pitched morse code 2010/09/03 05:04:07 (permalink)
    Thanks for replies. I'm not sure if it was a better quality USB cable but I tried another I had and the noise was the same as before. I think the shielding solution could be the best...and if not too much work involved (!). Otherwise I can always settle for sitting 6 feet away from the laptop, at least I know this works. The noise is only a problem with high gain levels when I want a distorted guitar sound. With clean guitar the noise is very low, almost non-existant. My Jazz Bass doesn't attract any noise with clean settings (I don't usually use distortion with bass). I've tried unlpugging the battery and the high-pitched noise is still there.  Thanks...JW
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re:Laptop noise/interference sounds like high-pitched morse code 2010/09/03 06:50:11 (permalink)
    There is RFI emitted from a PC, how much depends on the PC but there is FCC specs on what the maximum is.   However, the fact it can emit RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) or "EMI" (Electormotive Interference) is why items such as PC speakers are shielded. 

With a guitar, along with the pickup, there is the internal shielding in a guitar (and some do not have any), quality of the guitar cords and the connectors.  Many molded guitar plugs are not internally shielded and that is a source of problems.  When I was doing guitar amp repair, molded guitar plugs were a common source of interference compliants from customers.

Finally the interface unit you are using between the guitar and the PC can also be a source.  Some of these are basically "plastic" and do not have adequate internal shielding.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    J.W.
    Re:Laptop noise/interference sounds like high-pitched morse code 2010/09/03 07:04:14 (permalink)
    Thanks fireberd - interesting comments especially regarding the molded guitar cables. I suspect the interference is being picked up mainly by the guitar/pickups, although I could perhaps do with a better guitar cord. The Edirol UA-25EX interface I'm using has a metal casing and according to Roland is meant to be shielded against interference.
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re:Laptop noise/interference sounds like high-pitched morse code 2010/09/03 08:18:41 (permalink)
    The molded guitar plugs have long been an issue - not all are this way but many are and you would have to cut it apart to really see.  

But, consider you have a shielded guitar cable and at the ends they are just connected (soldered) to the plug and a non metalic molded cover put over that without a shield that is connected and grounded to the cable.  Effectively you have a potential place where interference can be induced into the cable and system.    

Guitar cords are not the only ones, patch panel cables and "RCA" connectors, for example, can be other potential problem areas.   

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    jasonthurley
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 264
    Re:Laptop noise/interference sounds like high-pitched morse code 2010/09/03 10:25:31 (permalink)
    J.W.
      I've tried unlpugging the battery and the high-pitched noise is still there.  Thanks...JW

No not the battery.... unplug the power from the wall and run on your battery

The processor sound I am referring to might not be the same as what you are describing... however what I am describing only usually happens when the battery is charging/being used and you are plugged into he wall....

I have used laptops for 7.1 surround sound effects for live shows and I have had to operate the laptop off of battery, unplugged from the wall, do to this processor/creating noise problem

It is only really heard at higher gain stages.. like turning your output all the way up... and when the processor is being pushed.

Anyway... hope you find a solution

J.W.
    Re:Laptop noise/interference sounds like high-pitched morse code 2010/09/03 11:53:52 (permalink)
    Sorry I meant to say unplug at the wall and still use battery - however when trying this I still get the high-picthed interference. Unplugging at the wall does eliminate some mains hum which is good but I wasn't too bothered about this. Thanks. I'll keep trying various things...
    johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:Laptop noise/interference sounds like high-pitched morse code 2010/09/03 14:26:09 (permalink)
    One trick with laptops someone showed me and it works is to remove the ground. I snipped mine right off but you can use a ground lift adapter too. This totally got rid of the A/C Hum. No need to run on battery at all.

The problem with guitars and interferance when you sit close to computers is well documented.
    Start with the instrument and upgrade as many components as possible. I ended up purchasing new PU's for my bass and that worked 100%.
    All your cables and stuff won't have as much effect as those cheap single coils will. Best place to start. (Unless its a vintage instrument.)

post edited by johnnyV - 2010/09/03 14:27:30

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

alexoosthoek
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5238
    Re:Laptop noise/interference sounds like high-pitched morse code 2010/09/03 17:22:38 (permalink)
    Don't remove the ground, it's there for a reason you know. And you van get yourself a very nasty shock, or worse ..............

To the OP, pls read THIS

The CHB
    Some Live Demo's

Various ADK computers   and some thingy's
    Have fun!
    alexoosthoek
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5238
    Re:Laptop noise/interference sounds like high-pitched morse code 2010/09/03 17:29:37 (permalink)
    That was some "strange" advice, JohnnyV.

The CHB
    Some Live Demo's

Various ADK computers   and some thingy's
    Have fun!
    dreadnotpop
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re:Laptop noise/interference sounds like high-pitched morse code 2011/06/13 21:38:07 (permalink)
    i had similar problems with my desktop. i switched to a powered usb hub and the interference was dramatically minimized. i am going to try gold end usb cables to see if that eliminates the interference and input gain hum. good luck!!!
    Anubis
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1059
    Re:Laptop noise/interference sounds like high-pitched morse code 2011/06/14 13:33:14 (permalink)
    Plug this into the wall outlet then plug your laptop into it.

X2Studio_Win7(64)_SamsungChronos_QuNexus_QuNeo_Axiom25_Saffire24Pro_Saffire6USB_EdirolPCR300_Nocturn
    Amplitubes_AmpegSVX_StylusRMX_SampleTank/Tron_Komplete7_AddictiveDrums_TRacks3_Wavelab6
    miTunes
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1