Latency Issues Through Interface When Recording! HELP!!

Author
walltrev
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
2018/12/03 03:47:33 (permalink)

Latency Issues Through Interface When Recording! HELP!!

So I just recently upgraded my computer from a laptop to a desktop (HP all-in-one, I7 Core, 12GB RAM) and when trying to lay down some guitar tracks I ran into a very small bit of lag/latency. (Enough to throw off my recording). I had this problem once before in 2016 and was able to get it fixed through here, but trying the same techniques are not seeming to work here. 

Some details about what I'm using and what I've tried so far to fix the issue. 

- Sonar Platinum
- Focusrite 2i2 interface. (USB) w/ Phantom Power.
- WASAPI Shared Driver (Standard w/ the computer) Set to the fastest sample rate. 
- Tried various buffer sizes from 64KB - 1048KB
- Tried all the different drivers that showed up and no luck.
- Tried re-downloading and installing the latest version of ASIO4all (since it was what I was used to) and no luck when trying to use it.
- Tried turning off WiFi as well as all background applications and have the PDC button turned ON.
- Played with Audio Driver Bit Depth and no luck. 
- Played with all kinds of different sampling rates and no better outcome.
- Also tried disabling the speakers and microphones that are integrated in the computer and no luck.
- Also have restarted multiple times with different changes made and new driver installs. 

I've tried everything I know but I have a feeling the problem may lie in the "Audio Profiles" Tab in "Preferences" where you're able to adjust all the different DMA buffer sizes but I have no clue what I'm doing in that tab and I don't want to mess anything up!

*NOTE (The latency I'm experiencing is very small maybe several hundred milliseconds or so, I'm not sure. But, it's just enough to throw off my click and the audio in my headphones to what I'm playing in real-time).

All help is appreciated! (:

5 Replies Related Threads

msmcleod
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 920
    Re: Latency Issues Through Interface When Recording! HELP!! 2018/12/03 03:56:37 (permalink)
    I would ditch ASIO4ALL and WASAPI. 

I use a 2i2 on my laptop, with a buffer size of 64. That's a latency of 1.5ms, or an overall latency of 4.7ms.

I can use it with a buffer of 32, but I get dropouts on bigger projects. A buffer size of 64 works for me without issue. That's using the Focusrite ASIO drivers:
     https://customer.focusrite.com/sites/customer/files/focusrite/downloads/32406/focusriteusbinstaller4.36.5-612.exe

If this buffer size is still too much latency for you, try disabling input echo on Cakewalk and use the direct monitoring switch on the front of the 2i2.  

Mark McLeod
    Cakewalk by BL | ASUS P8B75-V, Intel I5 3570 16GB RAM Win 10 64 + Win 7 64/32 SSD HD's, Scarlett 18i20 / 6i6 | ASUS ROG GL552VW 16GB RAM Win 10 64 SSD HD's, Scarlett 2i2 | Behringer Truth B2030A / Edirol MA-5A | Mackie MCU + C4 + XT | 2 x BCF2000, Korg NanoKontrol Studio
    Steev
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 314
    Re: Latency Issues Through Interface When Recording! HELP!! 2018/12/03 12:22:36 (permalink)
    The 2i2 is specifically designed to run with Focusrite ASIO drivers, PERIOD!
     Make sure you are running the latest released version.
     If you are using a 2i2 Gen 2 it will be version release  2.3.4.
     Check in your registered Focusrite user account to find the correct version for 1st gen 2i2.
     If you don't have a registered user account create one whether you acquired the 2i2 or not, they don't care, and you are entitled to download a very good plugin bundle guaranteed to work well with the 2i2 easy on the CPU and with the lowest latency. 

DO NOT USE DIRECT MONITORING ON THE 2i2 AND INPUT MONITORING IN SONAR/CAKEWALK AT THE SAME TIME FOR RECORDING!
     That will double your signal path and increase latency

The smaller the buffer size the lower the latency and the smaller the buffer size you use the more computer speed, power and resources you will need.
     Also the smaller buffer size you set, the less tracks and plugins you will be able to run unless you increase the buffer size as you go along, and than again increase it even more for mixing sessions.
     In my experience using Cakewalk and Pro Tools with a Focusrite 18i20 gen 2, repeatedly changing the buffer size does weird things to the DAWs.
     Leaving the buffer set to 128 bit depth set to 24 always provides for the smoothest most rock solid performance in both 44.1 k/Hz and 48 k/Hz frequency rates with a solid, stable, trouble and artifact free effective recording latency of 2.7 msec.
     I've found it takes a pretty robust computer system and audio interface to operate trouble free and smoothly with the buffers set to a bit depth of 128.
    Please take note that I am not recommending that you set your buffer to 128 just because I do. I'm recommending you find the "Sweet Spot" for your system.
     But I'd be more than willing to bet it isn't under a buffer size of 128.
     And being ALL computer systems are different, I'm pretty sure that's why the Bakers of Cakewalk have always set the initial installation default buffer size to a nice, safe middle ground of 256 bit zone, which always worked out well for me with every audio interface I've ever used. MOTU, M-Audio Delta, 1st gen Focusrite.
     It wasn't until the 2sd gen Focusrite, boasting the world's lowest latency for any USB 2 interface did I reduce to buffer bit depth size of 128. 

Yes, I can lower the buffer and raise the frequency rate to go down to 0.7 msec effective recording latency, but there is no reason or recording/ monitoring benefits to do so.
     And than I would have to increase the buffer size for mixing sessions once I reach the 36 track point with dozens of plugins running to avoid clicking and popping artifacts and an unnecessarily very busy and over worked CPU.

So just because you can doesn't mean you should.
     I'm a firm believer in finding the sweet spot in system configuration settings, set them there and leave them ALONE, and forget about it.

Just move along and concentrate on other things like, umm, maybe learning and understanding the differences between VCA, FET, and OPT type compressors is always good to know.
     Or maybe, just maybe learning and understanding the differences between typically used resource friendly "Track" plugins, and high powered CPU stomping "Buss" plugins that will push latency past places it should go to simply by using too many instances at a time.
     Learn why that even because you Can use multiple instances of these high powered "Buss" plugins on "Tracks", doesn't mean you should..

They will surely send latency through the roof no matter what your buffer size it set to.
     But on the + side, the increasing latency should be taken seriously because it's a fair warning not to over do it with placing too many high powered "Buss" plugins on "Tracks" in your FX bins, because once you reach the CPU's breaking point, there are no if's, ands, or buts about it. YOU ARE GOING TO CRASH THE DAW!

Steev on Bandlab.com

Custom built workstation. Windows 10 Pro x64.

SONAR Platinum. Cakewalk by Bandlab.
    Sony Sound Forge Pro 10, ACID Pro 7, Vegas Pro 11
    Pro Tools.

ASRock 990FX mobo, AMD FX 8370 8-Core. 16 gb DDR3 PC1866 G Skill Ripjaws X RAM. AMD FirePro V4900 1gb DDR5 accelerated graphics card. 
    Behringer X Touch DAW Controller
    Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen 2, OctoPre Mkll
    Western Digital 500GB SSD bootdrive,  WD 500GB 10k rpm VelociRaptor for DAW projects . 2x1 TB WD Caviar Black SATA3 storage drives

walltrev
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re: Latency Issues Through Interface When Recording! HELP!! 2018/12/03 15:31:15 (permalink)
    Awesome. Yeah I remember on my laptop it was always ASIO drivers and it worked perfectly once I got everything dialed in correctly. So the link that msmcleod provided is going to be the correct one to install and set up for the interface correct?
    Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Latency Issues Through Interface When Recording! HELP!! 2018/12/04 20:47:37 (permalink)
    - WASAPI Shared Driver (Standard w/ the computer) Set to the fastest sample rate. 

As soon as I saw that I knew the answer. ASIO

When ever you re build a system or start on a new machine check that each and every driver is the latest by simply going to the manufactures web site ( never anywhere else, repeat- never)  and they will guide you to the latest drivers.
    These days it is wise to keep everything up to date.

My Scarlett 6i6 1st gen is pretty much the same divers. They are not stellar performers but if you use direct monitoring this doesn't matter. I would never use input echo on an audio track. I just leave it set at 10 ( 256) and never have change this in 4 years. I also avoid adding too many effects while tracking. I'm not even sure if Pro Channel is a good idea while tracking either.

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

BRainbow
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 399
    Re: Latency Issues Through Interface When Recording! HELP!! 2018/12/05 23:28:46 (permalink)
    A
    Stunningly
    Important
    Option

Cakewalk (forever), Two WIN10 64-bit DAWs: home-brew ASRock x299 Taichi / i7 7820x w/ 64GB RAM and ASUS X99A-II / i7-5820K w/ 32GB RAM, ZOOM UAC 8, Mackie ONYX 1640i FW Mixer/Interface, Mackie ONYX 1200F, Avalon U5 PreAmp, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, EastWest Composer CloudX, Yamaha MOTIF XS8, Ensoniq SD-1 and ESQ-1, Korg M1rEX, Yamaha TX-81Z, Roland D110, Line6 HELIX Rack and Native, POD HD-Pro, POD Farm 2.5, Yamaha NS-10 and Presonus Eris E8 monitors, Yamaha Disklavier Upright Piano, mics, guitars, basses, and the cutest little tambourine.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1