Latency problems with Fast Track R8 in Sonar 8 Producer

Author
UNSCARRED
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9
2011/01/19 06:22:37 (permalink)

Latency problems with Fast Track R8 in Sonar 8 Producer

On Options/Audio/Advanced I´m trying to change device on "Record Latency Adjustment (samples)" to my M-audio Fast Tarck R8, but Sonar can´t apply this change. The system show me two options: 1. ASIO4ALL v2 (2 in, 3 out) (my onboard audio interface), and 2. ASIO4ALL M-Audio (4 in, 4 out) (my Fast Track R8), when I set up the second option, the system don´t apply the change (without error messages) and my lantency stay with an amazing delay. I can´t record in this way!

Other question. When I turn off fast track and go to use the onboard device, the Sonar is applying another time and another pich with the tracks that I´ve had recorded with fast track. Why?

PS.: All configuration that ASIO needs to work correctly is done, with M-audio device or onboard device.

System config:
Windows 7 64bit Ultimate
Dell Studio 1450, C2D, 6GB, Intel Chipset

How could I resolve the problems? Thanks!

27 Replies Related Threads

Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:Latency problems with Fast Track R8 in Sonar 8 Producer 2011/01/19 11:37:40 (permalink)
    go into audio in's / out  and untick anything that isn't the fast-track.. then apply.. only then can you select the m-audio one

with other things ticked.. the fast-track asio driver can't be selected

no point to use asio4all if the m-audio drivers are up to date..

johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:Latency problems with Fast Track R8 in Sonar 8 Producer 2011/01/19 12:08:17 (permalink)
    http://www.m-audio.com/in...tabs   

You should download and use the proper drivers first before doing anything. Remove ASIO4all you do not need it. There's the link.
    post edited by johnnyV - 2011/01/19 12:10:21

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

UNSCARRED
    Re:Latency problems with Fast Track R8 in Sonar 8 Producer 2011/01/20 05:32:59 (permalink)
    Ok I understand, but when I uninstall ASIO4all I need to select WDM/KS, WASAPI or MME driver to use with Fast Track? This work? I never used nothing diferent that ASIO, I don´t know how to do this!!!

About the software (driver) of Fast track, I´m currently using this driver. Thanks for help!!
    UNSCARRED
    Re:Latency problems with Fast Track R8 in Sonar 8 Producer 2011/01/20 05:34:17 (permalink)
    Fog

go into audio in's / out  and untick anything that isn't the fast-track.. then apply.. only then can you select the m-audio one

Thanks for help, but I did this and without solution!!!

What you think about JohnyV soluction?
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:Latency problems with Fast Track R8 in Sonar 8 Producer 2011/01/20 05:39:16 (permalink)
    The point, which maybe didn't come through,  is that ASIO4ALL is not the same as ASIO, even though you sometimes choose it clicking "ASIO". You need to download fresh ASIO drivers from the manufacturers site.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Norrie
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1665
    Re:Latency problems with Fast Track R8 in Sonar 8 Producer 2011/01/20 06:58:31 (permalink)
    UNSCARRED

Fog

Thanks for help, but I did this and without solution!!!

What you think about JohnyV soluction?

I think he is 100% right and that should sort your problem.

Hes right you need the up todate Drivers from the link he sent you

Ininstall the assio4all and install the ones from the link he sent you.

He has helped me in the past and knows exactly what hes on about

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    UNSCARRED
    Re:Latency problems with Fast Track R8 in Sonar 8 Producer 2011/01/21 05:04:20 (permalink)
    Ok Thank you guys, the latency problem is fixed!!! I did uninstall ASIO4ALL and I´m using now WDM/KS driver.

So, now I have problems with WDM/KS driver!!! When I play two or more tracks simultaneously, the sound beat some noises and "crashes", and the operation of record or mixing is not possible.

I don´t know, but I think that the best way is ASIO yet! But I need no latency problems to use it. I gonna try fresh ASIO.

Thanks for replies!!
    mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re:Latency problems with Fast Track R8 in Sonar 8 Producer 2011/01/21 05:55:20 (permalink)
    It seems you still don't understand.

Do NOT USE ASIO4ALL. it is not really ASIO it is a wrapper for WDM dorvers so the system thinks thay are ASIO drivers.

Download ASIO drivers from the M-Audio website - infact if you run the M-Audio installer again there is probably an ASIO option to choose anyway. Usually M-Audio installers offer a choice of WDM/KS and/or ASIO. You can choose both or one or the other.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    Fog
    Re:Latency problems with Fast Track R8 in Sonar 8 Producer 2011/01/21 05:56:26 (permalink)
    don't forget to untick your other card on the inputs / outputs.. with the others enabled you won't be able to set it to asio mode.. also in your winodws "default" soundcard.. set that to the other one on your motherboard maybe.. some people do.. others don't.

and you have to go into "asio panel" and adjust buffers maybe.. depending on how much stuff your using.. BUT increasing buffers = increased latency

post edited by Fog - 2011/01/21 05:58:22
    UNSCARRED
    Re:Latency problems with Fast Track R8 in Sonar 8 Producer 2011/01/21 06:24:01 (permalink)
    mudgel

It seems you still don't understand.

Do NOT USE ASIO4ALL. it is not really ASIO it is a wrapper for WDM dorvers so the system thinks thay are ASIO drivers.

Download ASIO drivers from the M-Audio website - infact if you run the M-Audio installer again there is probably an ASIO option to choose anyway. Usually M-Audio installers offer a choice of WDM/KS and/or ASIO. You can choose both or one or the other.

Hi mudgel, thanks for reply. I understood the diference of ASIO4All and ASIO. WDM Software isn´t working good as I need. And the driver downloaded in M-audio website doesn´t have ASIO options on install!!! So, where can I find this software (ASIO)?

Thanks for help!!
    UNSCARRED
    Re:Latency problems with Fast Track R8 in Sonar 8 Producer 2011/01/21 06:26:22 (permalink)
    Fog

don't forget to untick your other card on the inputs / outputs.. with the others enabled you won't be able to set it to asio mode.. also in your winodws "default" soundcard.. set that to the other one on your motherboard maybe.. some people do.. others don't.

and you have to go into "asio panel" and adjust buffers maybe.. depending on how much stuff your using.. BUT increasing buffers = increased latency

Thanks Fog. This steps I did with ASIO4All, I gonna try ASIO now! Do you know where can I find it?
    Fog
    Re:Latency problems with Fast Track R8 in Sonar 8 Producer 2011/01/21 07:53:32 (permalink)
    what ? the drivers ? the asio panel ?

the buffers setting for it are within the asio panel probably IF it's like the 1010LT

the asio panel is accessible from sonar AFTER you have applied asio mode. (or via the icon next to the clock on the right / bottom of the screen in the task bar)

and the latest drivers are here  http://www.m-audio.com/in...support&tab=driver

Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:Latency problems with Fast Track R8 in Sonar 8 Producer 2011/01/21 08:07:23 (permalink)
    UNSCARRED

Thanks Fog. This steps I did with ASIO4All, I gonna try ASIO now! Do you know where can I find it?
    As mentioned a few times already: M-Audios drivers can be downloaded from M-Audios web-site (et least should be :o/ ).

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    UNSCARRED
    Re:Latency problems with Fast Track R8 in Sonar 8 Producer 2011/01/21 11:09:31 (permalink)
    Kalle Rantaaho

UNSCARRED

As mentioned a few times already: M-Audios drivers can be downloaded from M-Audios web-site (et least should be :o/ ).

Thanks Fog and Kalle for help, but let´s take a look! In audio options on Sonar, when I click on "ASIO PANEL" when Sonar is configured in ASIO mode, nothing happens! And the icon of ASIO in task bar don´t appear. I think that I need M-audio drivers and ASIO SDK installed on system to do this that you supose to me. Just M-audio drivers, don´t work! I need ASIO drivers to.

Thank you guys, I don´t know what I should do without your tips! Sorry about english, I´m learning yet!!
    post edited by UNSCARRED - 2011/01/21 11:11:37
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Latency problems with Fast Track R8 in Sonar 8 Producer 2011/01/21 11:36:03 (permalink)
    sometimes the m-audio software will not come up when pressing the ASIO button in the OPTIONS>AUDIO in sonar.  use the m-audio icon in the systray instead.  it's red and white circle with ">"

you'll need to close sonar FIRST, double click the m-audio icon in the systray, then change your parameters, then open sonar back up.

I'm not sure why this is necessary, but I have found using the m-audio delta 44 that with sonar 8 & 8.5 that was necessary.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    johnnyV
    Re:Latency problems with Fast Track R8 in Sonar 8 Producer 2011/01/21 11:47:32 (permalink)
    Take a deep breath and do this
    UNINSTAL ASIO 4 all ( OK you did it good )
    Then download the driver I highlighted which is M audios latest driver that will be ASIO.
    You may want to un install older versions of the drivers first so as to have a clean install.
    Install the new drivers. Do not plug in the interface ( USB ) until the install ask you too.
    Re-boot ( even though they do not say this , do it anyways)
    Go to the windows control panel and Audio devices and check that the M Audio is the device showing. Make sure the proper ins and outs are selected. (Mine defaulted to SPDIF once and so no sound)
    Go to the M Audio Icon and look under "About" and make sure the version you downloaded and firmware are correct.
    Make note of the Latency setting. It will automatically set it self to either 128 or 256. This is normal, don't worry about it at this point.
    Now open Sonar and under Audio options/ Advanced choose ASIO, re start Sonar.
    Now under Audio Options/ Drivers make sure that ONLY the M Audio is the inputs and output showing. Sometimes they only show as odd numbers.
     Sonar automatically sets all the buffers, Latency etc.  and I find the default settings are OK in 80% of what I do so I leave them alone.

If you want to test your Round trip Latency download this handy tool
    http://centrance.com/downloads/ltu/

One must remember that Soanr adjusts your playback to line up with what your recording even if the latency is to high to use for real time exfs.

To test if this is working run a cable from an output to an input . Playback and re-record a percussive track like a kick drum and see if the 2 tracks line up under a zoom.

Scarlett 6i6
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

UNSCARRED
    Re:Latency problems with Fast Track R8 in Sonar 8 Producer 2011/01/23 15:26:08 (permalink)
    Beagle

sometimes the m-audio software will not come up when pressing the ASIO button in the OPTIONS>AUDIO in sonar.  use the m-audio icon in the systray instead.  it's red and white circle with ">"

you'll need to close sonar FIRST, double click the m-audio icon in the systray, then change your parameters, then open sonar back up.

I'm not sure why this is necessary, but I have found using the m-audio delta 44 that with sonar 8 & 8.5 that was necessary.

Thanks Beagle for the tip, I will try it!
    UNSCARRED
    Re:Latency problems with Fast Track R8 in Sonar 8 Producer 2011/01/23 15:34:45 (permalink)
    johnnyV

Take a deep breath and do this
    UNINSTAL ASIO 4 all ( OK you did it good )
    Then download the driver I highlighted which is M audios latest driver that will be ASIO.
    You may want to un install older versions of the drivers first so as to have a clean install.
    Install the new drivers. Do not plug in the interface ( USB ) until the install ask you too.
    Re-boot ( even though they do not say this , do it anyways)
    Go to the windows control panel and Audio devices and check that the M Audio is the device showing. Make sure the proper ins and outs are selected. (Mine defaulted to SPDIF once and so no sound)
    Go to the M Audio Icon and look under "About" and make sure the version you downloaded and firmware are correct.
    Make note of the Latency setting. It will automatically set it self to either 128 or 256. This is normal, don't worry about it at this point.
    Now open Sonar and under Audio options/ Advanced choose ASIO, re start Sonar.
    Now under Audio Options/ Drivers make sure that ONLY the M Audio is the inputs and output showing. Sometimes they only show as odd numbers.
    Sonar automatically sets all the buffers, Latency etc.  and I find the default settings are OK in 80% of what I do so I leave them alone.

If you want to test your Round trip Latency download this handy tool
    http://centrance.com/downloads/ltu/

One must remember that Soanr adjusts your playback to line up with what your recording even if the latency is to high to use for real time exfs.

To test if this is working run a cable from an output to an input . Playback and re-record a percussive track like a kick drum and see if the 2 tracks line up under a zoom.

Thanks JohnnyV, I think that latency problem is fixed! I will try this cable test, and now I have another problem: Fast Track R8 + Berhinger CU-1 together!

Thank you guys, you awesome!!!
    Beagle
    Re:Latency problems with Fast Track R8 in Sonar 8 Producer 2011/01/23 15:38:32 (permalink)
    WAIT!  you didn't mention the Behringer CU-1 earlier in this thread!

is that a USB microphone? if so then  that changes everything with regards to how you troubleshoot!

johnnyV
    Re:Latency problems with Fast Track R8 in Sonar 8 Producer 2011/01/23 16:04:04 (permalink)
    What the flying Beagle  ( great picture) means is under ASIO you cannot have 2 interfaces.  There are pleny of threads to explain why USB mikes won't work with Sonar.

Scarlett 6i6

Fog
    Re:Latency problems with Fast Track R8 in Sonar 8 Producer 2011/01/23 18:25:20 (permalink)
    Jonny, your of course right about the asio / no 2 drivers.. USB mics..  they do work with sonar, it's a common misconception that they won't... that I thought I quelled in the LE forum.. with this little guide

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=1618556

it is however far easier / straightforward to use a mic that you plug into a sound card and use that AND the asio driver if your using a mic all the time.

Beagle
    Re:Latency problems with Fast Track R8 in Sonar 8 Producer 2011/01/23 20:48:46 (permalink)
    yes, usb mics can work (and I am NOT dissing their quality!).  but not inASIO mode unless there are drivers for them in ASIO (which usually there aren't) AND if they have a headphone output on them (some of them do now).

but you WILL get latency between the USB mic and the fast track and you will also likely have sync problems for larger recorded clips or tracks.

Fog
    Re:Latency problems with Fast Track R8 in Sonar 8 Producer 2011/01/23 20:53:02 (permalink)
    beag. it's not bad in the sense of your using MME mode ONLY to record.. and switching back to "asio" after for playback.

I mean the thing folks didn't get when I posted that guide was , regardless of the card.. if the playback card is crud (e..g onboard mobo one) .. then there is still gonna be issues with it
    Beagle
    Re:Latency problems with Fast Track R8 in Sonar 8 Producer 2011/01/23 23:01:41 (permalink)
    right - it's ok to record in MME and switch to ASIO for mixing - except for latency during recording which is what the OP was having problems with.  MME will give high latency - it's inherent to the protocol.

Fog
    Re:Latency problems with Fast Track R8 in Sonar 8 Producer 2011/01/23 23:10:45 (permalink)
    but with the playback master being an asio based card ,it's not a big issue.. as oppsed to the onboard. hard to explain unless you've used such a setup. the difference you notice straight away.

like before I wrote that guide. people who'd never used / owned or setup things saying "x-y and z" about it.. based on not even owning the thing.. or even though they personally couldn't set it up= doesn't work

I thought I had proved it works via the guide. thats the whole point...

as I already stated. the easier route IS to use a mic via the card.. but adversely it's not impossible to setup a USB mic also

post edited by Fog - 2011/01/23 23:19:32
    Beagle
    Re:Latency problems with Fast Track R8 in Sonar 8 Producer 2011/01/24 10:03:40 (permalink)
    Fog

but with the playback master being an asio based card ,it's not a big issue.. as oppsed to the onboard. hard to explain unless you've used such a setup. the difference you notice straight away.

like before I wrote that guide. people who'd never used / owned or setup things saying "x-y and z" about it.. based on not even owning the thing.. or even though they personally couldn't set it up= doesn't work

I thought I had proved it works via the guide. thats the whole point...

as I already stated. the easier route IS to use a mic via the card.. but adversely it's not impossible to setup a USB mic also
    Paul - I'm trying to understand what you're saying here because it doesn't make sense to me.  are you saying you can use an ASIO driver for output but use MME for input at the same time?  for example (in your explanation) using a Delta 1010 for output in ASIO at the same time you're recording with the Samson CU03 which will need to be in MME mode?

I cannot understand that.  there's only one driver mode you can choose - you can't choose MME for input and ASIO for output.

What I keep saying in this thread and others is that you have to use the USB mic in MME driver mode.  so when you're recording you're using MME driver mode for simultaneous recording and playback so you can hear your backing tracks to sing along with.  even if you have a delta 1010, it will be playing back in MME driver mode during your recording using the samson usb mic.  that's where the latency will occur between the mic and the playback soundcard and that's where the clocks between the samson mic and the 1010 will be out of sync.

so I *think* we're talking about 2 different scenerios.  I'm talking about monitoring DURING recording.  you seem to be talking about playback for mixing.  is that not the case?  or am I missing your point?

johnnyV
    Re:Latency problems with Fast Track R8 in Sonar 8 Producer 2011/01/24 11:38:24 (permalink)
    I go on record here as not ever "bashing" the USB mikes. That's another well know character here.  I have said before, they have a wide number of uses and should give excellent results in many application. But they are more or less made to be used as a stand along input devise when you don't own a audio interface. If you own a proper interface with XLR inputs, why would you not  that insteadWhen you buy a mike, I would think you would pay extra money for the built in A/D converters. I can't help be feel the ads for these devices are misleading.  And sure, there's always a way to make something work if your smart enough to do it so it's good you have documented this.

Scarlett 6i6

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1