LatencyMon - how to interpret results? [SOLVED]

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
gmp
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1033
2015/04/12 14:05:29 (permalink)

LatencyMon - how to interpret results? [SOLVED]

I've run LatencyMon and have been reading all sorts of things about it. Yet I haven't found any mention of whether I should run it for a few hours by itself, or with Platinum opened but not recording or playing back, or while recording.

I get passing results unless I'm recording with Platinum. I have a drum loop setup with Superior Drummer and if I record Ivory as midi and also record the output of my mixer after a minute or so I get the failing grade from LatencyMon with this generic report:

"Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates."

The biggest problem seems to be with hard pagefaults. I'm trying to track down a problem with Platinum.
In the real world, I'm not getting any other dropouts except in rare instances. I can have lots of audio and midi tracks with lots of FX playing back or recording audio and no problem, no dropouts except rarely. Yet if I'm just sitting there playing my Ivory piano, the audio engine shuts off. And it happens very often, maybe every 10-20 min. It happens also during recording midi, never during playback.

Any suggestions on tracking this problem down?
post edited by gmp - 2015/05/06 03:22:08

Gerry Peters
Midi Magic Studio
http://gprecordingstudio.com/
Album Productions and Songwriter Resources
Cakewalk By Bandlab, Platinum 64 + 32 bit, Studiocat AsRock Z97 motherboard, Haswell CPU 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM 16GB DDR3/1600, Windows 10 Pro all updates including optional, MOTU AVB Ultralite sound card/Midi interface/Dig mixer, onboard Video HD4600. Midisport 2x2 midi interface, Vienna Instruments, Ivory II piano, Komplete 9, Superior drummer. 5 HD's - OS drive 250GB SSD, Samples drive 1 500GB SSD,  3 data HDs - total of 6.5T

30 Replies Related Threads

gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    Re: LatencyMon - how to interpret results? 2015/04/12 14:14:55 (permalink)
    I can run Sonar and Netflix and tons of other things on my PC and never go red in LatencyMon.

I can run it for hours without issue.

Click the Driver's tab and sort by Highest Execution time.

Tell us what the Driver Files are that are causing the issue.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
    I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    gmp
    Re: LatencyMon - how to interpret results? 2015/04/12 15:02:56 (permalink)
    gswitz
    I can run Sonar and Netflix and tons of other things on my PC and never go red in LatencyMon.

I can run it for hours without issue.

Click the Driver's tab and sort by Highest Execution time.

Tell us what the Driver Files are that are causing the issue.

With Platinum open but no playback or recording. I see the DPC count for LatencyMon at the top with 39 million followed by USBPORT.SYS at 24 million, next is MOTU midi interface at 16 million, then ATAPORT.SYS down to 284,000.

For ISR count HAL.DLL tops the list followed by USBPORT.SYS, then ATAPORT.SYS

Gerry Peters
    Midi Magic Studio
    Cakewalk By Bandlab, Platinum 64 + 32 bit, Studiocat AsRock Z97 motherboard, Haswell CPU 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM 16GB DDR3/1600, Windows 10 Pro all updates including optional, MOTU AVB Ultralite sound card/Midi interface/Dig mixer, onboard Video HD4600. Midisport 2x2 midi interface, Vienna Instruments, Ivory II piano, Komplete 9, Superior drummer. 5 HD's - OS drive 250GB SSD, Samples drive 1 500GB SSD,  3 data HDs - total of 6.5T
    gswitz
    Re: LatencyMon - how to interpret results? 2015/04/12 17:53:00 (permalink)

Here is an image showing the Highest Execution column. What are those values?

If your constraint is IO, you might check in the Windows Resource Monitor and see what that looks like during playback from the disk you keep your audio on.

I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    bvideo
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1707
    Re: LatencyMon - how to interpret results? 2015/04/12 18:45:09 (permalink)
    Possible clues:
    MOTU midi interface 16 million
    Trouble when playing (or recording from) keyboard

Possible reason:
    MIDI flooding, perhaps from a MIDI loop?

Does your MOTU do merging or any other processing (what model is it)? Is your controller configured to merge input with output? Is Sonar set to echo any MIDI back out?
    gmp
    Re: LatencyMon - how to interpret results? 2015/04/12 21:58:36 (permalink)
    bvideo
    Possible clues:
    MOTU midi interface 16 million
    Trouble when playing (or recording from) keyboard

Possible reason:
    MIDI flooding, perhaps from a MIDI loop?

Does your MOTU do merging or any other processing (what model is it)? Is your controller configured to merge input with output? Is Sonar set to echo any MIDI back out?

MOTU Fastlane 2x2, simple box with only 1 button for midi thru. The button is not pressed in, if it is pressed in then it won't send anything to the computer only to the midi out.

I have my Yamaha P200 keyboard controller midi out going to the MOTU midi in, the the USB goes to the computer and then Sonar. Then from Sonar to the out of the MOTU into an AKAI synth and SY77 synth and back into the P200, but the P200 midi merge is set to off.

I do have a MidiSport midi interface also and my Yamaha SY77 has a keyboard that I can play as a controller.

Gerry Peters
    Midi Magic Studio
    gmp
    Re: LatencyMon - how to interpret results? 2015/04/12 22:17:25 (permalink)
    Here you go gswitz

I created the above by starting LatencyMon and then going to Platinum and hit record and played the piano, recording midi and audio for about 20 sec until I got the error message from LatencyMon. It recorded about a minute or so total. I hit stop. I then used the snipping tool to capture the latency Mon window.

For the Resource Monitor window I opened a song that had midi and audio and just hit play. My audio is recorded on the D HD. I wasn't able to figure out how to display the processes with disk activity. Let me know if you need that.

Gerry Peters
    Midi Magic Studio
    gswitz
    Re: LatencyMon - how to interpret results? 2015/04/13 05:28:44 (permalink)
    So, your USB Latency is a bit high. I'm curious which device is causing it.

You can trouble shoot this by starting latencymon and then try unplugging various USB things (including your mouse). Test to see if there is a particular device that is causing it to be high. You see mine is at .18 and yours is at .77.

I also noticed ataport.sys...
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff551332%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Do you have a an older ATA drive in your system? Just curious.

I once had a mouse issue with a logitech mouse. I just had to download Logitech's driver and use that instead of using the default Windows driver which didn't have good latency specs.

bvideo
    Re: LatencyMon - how to interpret results? 2015/04/13 10:30:44 (permalink)
    If that report in post #7 was running for a minute, the usbport.sys execution time is 42 seconds. That's extreme.
    Is it possible to create two different reports, one with playing keys and another without, with stats cleared at the beginning of each? Also, that latencymon report unfortunately doesn't seem to include an elapsed time, so it's up to the experimenter to log the time (unless it's on another page?). (By the way, you're using on-board usb, no adapter card, right?)
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: LatencyMon - how to interpret results? 2015/04/13 11:26:03 (permalink)
    If it's really hard page faults, there's only one cure for that: adding memory. Unfortunately, you're running a 32-bit O/S, so your machine's already maxxed out on RAM.

There are still some things you can do to lighten the impact of page faults, though. First, make sure your paging device is not on the same physical drive as your audio files. If you have more than 2 disks, and the 3rd disk is reserved for audio, you can split the paging device across both of the remaining drives. And of course, if you're using sampled instruments the best thing you can do is freeze them.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    gmp
    Re: LatencyMon - how to interpret results? 2015/04/13 14:13:58 (permalink)
    Ok here's another test:
    turned on latency mon a few minutes, platinum was open, then started playing midi piano, lost piano audio with a dropout of audio engine after about a  1min, I can see audio engine icon on Transport unlit and off, I wasn't recording just playing piano with transport stopped, all was caught on latency mon in this image below. After I hit stop on Latency Mon I looked at "Stats" and copied and pasted the results in report 4.RTF  I'm not sure how much of that text I should put into a forum post, so if anyone wants all or part of it let me know.

Gerry Peters
    Midi Magic Studio
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: LatencyMon - how to interpret results? 2015/04/13 14:48:05 (permalink)
    Ouch. Yup, sure looks like a USB issue. Well, not USB per se, but rather something that's plugged into a USB port. What other USB devices do you have? Any that can be temporarily disconnected for testing?

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    gmp
    Re: LatencyMon - how to interpret results? 2015/04/13 15:36:24 (permalink)
    gswitz
    So, your USB Latency is a bit high. I'm curious which device is causing it.

You can trouble shoot this by starting latencymon and then try unplugging various USB things (including your mouse). Test to see if there is a particular device that is causing it to be high. You see mine is at .18 and yours is at .77.

I also noticed ataport.sys...
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff551332%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Do you have a an older ATA drive in your system? Just curious.

I once had a mouse issue with a logitech mouse. I just had to download Logitech's driver and use that instead of using the default Windows driver which didn't have good latency specs.

I unplugged these USB's  - I-lok Dongle for Ivory, Dongle for Vienna Instruments, USB keyboard (this is 2nd keyboard for vocalists to record themselves in vocal booth). The only other USB is my MOTU midi interface. I unplugged all except the MOTU, opened an old project in Platinum, hit play and got a dropout in a min or so. Sometimes when I first open a project I get a dropout early on and then no more dropouts.

I do have an old 80 gig IDE HD that has XP, in case I need to use XP. I have 
    440 gig - boot
    3T - data
    1T - audio
    2T - Ivory
    220 gig - Win7 for dual boot

For USBPORT.SYS the value for highest execution varies a lot. It's usually near the top of the list.
     I'm not sure what to look for in Latency Mon. This values usually starts around .17 and went up to .25 during the test I have above. It make take a while running the test to make it up to .77.  Let me know what you want me to look for with unplugging these USBs.

Gerry Peters
    Midi Magic Studio
    KIKO CUETO
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24
    Re: LatencyMon - how to interpret results? 2015/04/13 16:03:59 (permalink)
    Hola, yo he tenido algun problema parecido, y se me soluciono cambiando de proyecto, los instrumentos virtuales no se copiaron bien desde otro ordenador y la informacion midi era muy confusa, en el piano roll.
    KIKO CUETO
    Re: LatencyMon - how to interpret results? 2015/04/13 16:12:51 (permalink)
    Hi, I had similar problem, and I solved Changing Project, Virtual Instruments are not copied either from another computer and midi information very confused, in the piano roll
    KIKO CUETO
    Re: LatencyMon - how to interpret results? 2015/04/13 16:14:38 (permalink)
    I'll have translated with google translator, my English is very loose, just wanted to help, when the system goes wrong it is a brown
    bvideo
    Re: LatencyMon - how to interpret results? 2015/04/13 22:00:22 (permalink)
    The USB system used 22 seconds of CPU that time. The number of DPCs for the Motu midi still looks high. With nothing playing, it shouldn't have so much to say. Is there any way to check your system without it? E.g. unplug it and play a project that doesn't send to any h/w synths.
    gmp
    Re: LatencyMon - how to interpret results? 2015/04/14 00:02:30 (permalink)

bvideo

The USB system used 22 seconds of CPU that time. The number of DPCs for the Motu midi still looks high. With nothing playing, it shouldn't have so much to say. Is there any way to check your system without it? E.g. unplug it and play a project that doesn't send to any h/w synths.

Unplugged all USBs, including midi interface and iLok for Ivory. Started LatencyMon, In Platinum, hit play on song I mixed today which took 45 min with no dropouts. This song has Ivory and Superior drummer. I didn't delete Ivory, even though I did unplug the iLok for Ivory. Sonar didn't seem to like this because I got dropout at 1:41, hit play after a min or so, dropout again at 3 min, start over then dropout at 20 sec. I also saved the Stats If you need them in addition to this picture below.

Gerry Peters
    Midi Magic Studio
    gmp
    Re: LatencyMon - how to interpret results? 2015/04/14 00:09:18 (permalink)
    Unplugged all USBs, including midi interface and iLok for Ivory. Since the previous test wasn't very good with Sonar looking for the midi interface and Ivory, this time I Deleted Ivory, Start LatencyMon, then sonar, hit play, runs 5.5 min no dropout, rewind hit play, message comes up saying "no MOTU midi interface should sonar route midi to another and stop transport?" NO.  Plays for a min then dropout, hit play it goes about 3 min and dropout. I have the Stats saved for this one below also.

Gerry Peters
    Midi Magic Studio
    bvideo
    Re: LatencyMon - how to interpret results? 2015/04/14 10:23:00 (permalink)
    There is no single "highest execution time" to cause a dropout, and now USBPORT is running at a sane level. There is still a lot of disk activity.

At this point, the disk is still a possible culprit: ataport.sys has a high ISR and DPC count. Although its total execution time is low, it does show there is a lot of disk activity going on.

Has the overall syndrome of your dropouts changed? Earlier you reported no dropouts except when playing or recording from your keys. Now without keys there are still a few dropouts.

Did latency mon stop reporting problems? If so, the remaining problem might be disk I/O. For your 32-bit system, paging could be an issue if there are a lot of processes that need to run and compete with Sonar for memory. Or reading samples could be an issue, or reading a lot of audio files. For disk I/O, the Resource Monitor report could be more useful. Also, did you try bitflipper's suggestion to freeze your sample-driven instruments?

What audio buffer size are you using now? Does a higher setting help? How about disk I/O buffers? The manual/help has info on how to tune and analyze disk I/O problems (Edit > Preferences > Audio - Sync and Caching, and Edit > Preferences > Audio - Driver Settings

Back to the MOTU topic: with the MOTU plugged back in but no equipment connected, is the Latency Mon report more sane? How about hooking up your equipment in small steps, starting with just the P200 out going to the MOTU in. Play a few notes into Sonar for a minute and check the L-M report for high counts from motumidi64.sys. What is the first hookup step that causes crazy USBPORT.sys numbers?
    gmp
    Re: LatencyMon - how to interpret results? 2015/04/14 18:24:47 (permalink)
    bvideo
    There is no single "highest execution time" to cause a dropout, and now USBPORT is running at a sane level. There is still a lot of disk activity.

At this point, the disk is still a possible culprit: ataport.sys has a high ISR and DPC count. Although its total execution time is low, it does show there is a lot of disk activity going on.

Has the overall syndrome of your dropouts changed? Earlier you reported no dropouts except when playing or recording from your keys. Now without keys there are still a few dropouts.

Did latency mon stop reporting problems? If so, the remaining problem might be disk I/O. For your 32-bit system, paging could be an issue if there are a lot of processes that need to run and compete with Sonar for memory. Or reading samples could be an issue, or reading a lot of audio files. For disk I/O, the Resource Monitor report could be more useful. Also, did you try bitflipper's suggestion to freeze your sample-driven instruments?

What audio buffer size are you using now? Does a higher setting help? How about disk I/O buffers? The manual/help has info on how to tune and analyze disk I/O problems (Edit > Preferences > Audio - Sync and Caching, and Edit > Preferences > Audio - Driver Settings

Back to the MOTU topic: with the MOTU plugged back in but no equipment connected, is the Latency Mon report more sane? How about hooking up your equipment in small steps, starting with just the P200 out going to the MOTU in. Play a few notes into Sonar for a minute and check the L-M report for high counts from motumidi64.sys. What is the first hookup step that causes crazy USBPORT.sys numbers?

On the Main page for LatencyMon, it always starts off saying no dropouts expected, yet after a few minutes it always says the machine is having trouble. This page always shows hard pagefaults ok at 1st then all the way into the red (the highest value). Today I started a new project, started LatencyMon, imported a mp3, played mp3 had dropout after 2 min. This is not that unusual when I 1st open a project, many times I'll have an initial dropout and then no more for maybe an hour or so.

Today after listening to the mp3 and charting the song out. I recorded my Ivory piano track for the singer. I recorded midi and audio at the same time, so I could send him the audio to sing to. 1:15 into this recording I had an audio engine dropout. Then autopunched in and no dropouts until the end of song at 4 min. I have all of my usual USBs plugged in.I did save a snip image of the drivers for this whole episode today and I saved the Stats to a file also. Let me know if you'd like me to post any of that.

Yesterday I mixed a song for 45 min with no dropouts. It had about 8 audio tracks, Ivory piano, Superior drummer and a midi bass. These midi tracks weren't frozen. I recorded the output of my mixer back into Sonar and created 3 stereo mixes. So my dropouts have always been at unexpected times even with XP. With Platinum it's much worse than X3 and 8.5 in regard to getting dropouts of the audio engine by playing or recording live midi.

I haven't looked at my virtual memory settings in a long time. Total paging size for all drives = 4094. Recommended = 6141. I see I have checked "auto manage paging file size for all drives" Below that I see C drive - system managed. All other HDs - none. I just changed this. I unchecked that box and then chose 6141 as the max and min. C drive is only one with paging file. Let me know if you'd try something different.

I do have a 64 bit Win 7. Currently I'm using Sonar as 32 bit, because I'm still preparing to transition to 64 bit Sonar once I get some things worked out with pluggins. Would you suggest me removing the other boot drives - 80 gig IDE XP and 200 gig Win7? It's rare that I dual boot.   How do I do the Resource Monitor report for disk I/O?

My record I/O buffer size is 512. and my playback I/O buffer size is 512. I left these like this for a long time. File system unchecked these 2 boxes "enable read caching" and  "enable write caching". Midi buffers are 64 and prepare buffers 500msec. 5.8 msec latency. Next value is 11.6, which I can hear flams with my external synth piano and Ivory. So I need 5.8.

I'm not sure what you mean by:

"Back to the MOTU topic: with the MOTU plugged back in but no equipment connected, is the Latency Mon report more sane? "

Is no equipment connected mean no USB equip? I did a test above similar to what I think you're asking in an above post. I'd be happy to try another test. Let me know.
    I'm interested in trying your test with checking the L-M report for high counts from motumidi64.sys. So when you say hooking up my equipment in small steps are you only referring to USBs or HD's.  What would you categorize as crazy USBPORT.sys? What's normal and what's crazy high?

Thanks for all your help everyone,

Gerry Peters
    Midi Magic Studio
    bvideo
    Re: LatencyMon - how to interpret results? 2015/04/14 22:03:08 (permalink)
    About the MOTU driver: I looked into it further and found it is normal for it to produce 1000 DPCs per second when Sonar is open, pretty much like clockwork. Crazy I thought, but that must be how it does timing. So discount what I said about hooking up (MIDI) equipment in small steps. Using motumidi64 DPC counts as a clock, the USBPORT time of 22 seconds out of 840 was not as bad as I originally thought.

The disk buffer and cache setting looked ok. Your other boot drives shouldn't be a concern. Amount of swap space shouldn't be a concern. C: disk should be ok for swapping unless you also have audio or sample player data on there.

Reviewing your latencymon reports, I'm not seeing any "highest execution" times that would be a culprit. I guess that leaves disk as the most likely culprit. That is to say the disk doesn't deliver all the data (samples players and recorded audio) fast enough. One possible reason is that there is just too much data for your 64-sample buffer, but that may be putting it too simply.

The Resource Monitor report I mentioned is just the same one you posted in post #7. It might be more useful than latencymon for checking disk overload. See if you can watch or capture some resource monitor views of disk activity when you have a dropout.

Earlier you mentioned hard page faults. Normally those only exercise your swap file and your program files, most likely all on C:. However, if Sonar itself is paging, that would mean you don't have enough RAM and parts of Sonar are getting swapped out so some other program can run. Depending on how sample players access their files, it's conceivable that they get page faults too, on the drive with the samples, especially at the first play of a project, but I have no idea if they really do that.

It's also important to see what else in the system might be swapping or using the disk. So the Memory tab and the Disk tab in Resource Monitor might help there. When I first turn on my machine it sometimes goes hunting for updates (trustedinstaller.exe) and virus profiles and such, so the disk system can be too busy to get a valid measure of DAW performance. It's good to make sure your system is quiet when you start measuring.

When all else fails, sometimes people have to freeze tracks, archive a lot of their arrangement, use lighter-weight instruments and generally cut down while they are recording with a low buffer. Then raise the buffer when working on the arrangement. Some people have better luck after trashing aud.ini and making Sonar build a new one. Another trick is adjusting the parameter for dropout tolerance: DropoutMsec (Edit > Preferences > Audio  > Configuration File). Other tuning parameters are there too.

If you've used the same instruments with better performance on a version other than Platinum, and you've determined that you have all the same tuning parameters, and enough ram to avoid swapping, that would be a new issue to explore. Interesting comparative measurements to make.

gswitz
    Re: LatencyMon - how to interpret results? 2015/04/15 17:50:31 (permalink)
    If you have a virus scanner, you might try disabling it for a time and see if it helps.
    Windows Defender too. Sometimes these types of programs can add load to your discs at a time when it causes dropouts.

If you do find that disabling these programs helps, you can usually specify certain folders for them to ignore (the folders you keep your projects in). This way, you can hope that you can track without the virus scanner re-reading the files to make sure they aren't viruses.

It may not help, but worth a try if you are starting to look at your discs.

In Latency Mon, the bottom row for me goes up to 11709 and into the red, but it always indicates that my system is good for real-time audio.

After you hit stop on the Latency Mon tool, you can read the Stats tab. This should give you a lot of useful information.

gmp
    Re: LatencyMon - how to interpret results? 2015/04/16 02:17:56 (permalink)
    Thank you bvideo for so many suggestions. I'll be looking into them soon. I did change my virtual memory settings and it was definitely better today recording midi instruments. Windows recommended me changing 4094 to 6141, so I did for both the max and min. By the way, here's my HD config

C - boot - 400 meg
    D - audio (wavs)  1T
    E - data and Superior Drummer samples  1.5T
    U - Ivory samples  2T

Let me know if you think I should try something different with virtual memory. Apparently you were right disk I/O has a lot to do with it. My template has Ivory and Superior Drummer, which take a lot of memory. Most songs I use both. So here's what my memory looks like

total mem - 4094
    cached 940
    available 976
    free 37
    Kernel mem
    paged 716
    nonpaged  48

What you said about maybe part of Sonar is being paged maybe would explain how I get a dropout sometimes out of the blue without any obvious load. I'm going to capture some Resource monitors views of disk activity during a dropout pretty soon. I deleted AUD.INI to try that also. So what values do you recommend me altering the buffers for playback and recording? And when to use each of those? And what about the 64 sample buffer, what should I try differently?

Gerry Peters
    Midi Magic Studio
    gmp
    Re: LatencyMon - how to interpret results? 2015/04/16 02:24:22 (permalink)
    gswitz

If you have a virus scanner, you might try disabling it for a time and see if it helps.

Windows Defender too. Sometimes these types of programs can add load to your discs at a time when it causes dropouts.

If you do find that disabling these programs helps, you can usually specify certain folders for them to ignore (the folders you keep your projects in). This way, you can hope that you can track without the virus scanner re-reading the files to make sure they aren't viruses.

It may not help, but worth a try if you are starting to look at your discs.

In Latency Mon, the bottom row for me goes up to 11709 and into the red, but it always indicates that my system is good for real-time audio.

After you hit stop on the Latency Mon tool, you can read the Stats tab. This should give you a lot of useful information.

For my DAW I don't have a virus scanner. I'm real cautious about using the internet with it and havne't ever gotten a virus, but I do have Defender enabled. I just disabled it to see if that helps also. I did save the Stats tab on all the posts above. So let me know if you want me to check anything.

Gerry Peters
    Midi Magic Studio
    gswitz
    Re: LatencyMon - how to interpret results? 2015/04/16 21:20:16 (permalink)
    It didn't help disabling Defender?

I'm not sure I have any great ideas.

You could post the full text from the Stats tab and see if anyone notices anything. I can't promise I'm going to see anything useful but maybe someone else will.

gmp
    Re: LatencyMon - how to interpret results? 2015/04/17 00:43:17 (permalink)
    gswitz
    It didn't help disabling Defender?

I'm not sure I have any great ideas.

You could post the full text from the Stats tab and see if anyone notices anything. I can't promise I'm going to see anything useful but maybe someone else will.

At this point I'm not sure if it helped disabling Defender, but I think it's worth a try and I'm going to leave it disabled for a while to see. I'm very cautious about using the internet with my DAW.

Here's the full text from the Stats tab plus a snip of the Drivers tab. It starts off with my personal notes on what I did and how this report captured 2 dropouts.

On the Main page for LatencyMon, it always starts off saying no dropouts expected, yet after a few minutes it always says the machine is having trouble. This page always shows hard pagefaults ok at 1st then all the way into the red (the highest value). Today I started a new project, started LatencyMon, imported a mp3, played mp3 had dropout after 2 min. This is not that unusual when I 1st open a project, many times I'll have an initial dropout and then no more for maybe an hour or so.
    Today after listening to the mp3 and charting the song out. I recorded my Ivory piano track for the singer. I recorded midi and audio at the same time, so I could send him the audio to sing to. 1:15 into this recording I had an audio engine dropout. Then autopunched in and no dropouts until the end of song at 4 min. I have all of my usual USBs plugged in.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    CONCLUSION
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
    LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for  1:25:03  (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
    Computer name:                                        Q9450
    OS version:                                           Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 6.1, build: 7601 (x64)
    Hardware:                                             EP45-DS3R, Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    CPU:                                                  GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9450 @ 2.66GHz
    Logical processors:                                   4
    Processor groups:                                     1
    RAM:                                                  4094 MB total

CPU SPEED
    Reported CPU speed:                                   3200.0 MHz
    Measured CPU speed:                                   1949.0 MHz (approx.)

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
    The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   2414.919447
    Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   2.550103

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       386.540704
    Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       0.804788

REPORTED ISRs
    Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs):              355.56750
    Driver with highest ISR routine execution time:       ataport.SYS - ATAPI Driver Extension, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%):          0.073166
    Driver with highest ISR total time:                   USBPORT.SYS - USB 1.1 & 2.0 Port Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%)                          0.121130

ISR count (execution time <250 µs):                   9793503
    ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
    ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs):                1
    ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              0
    ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              0
    ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED DPCs
    DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs):              293.1050
    Driver with highest DPC routine execution time:       nvlddmkm.sys - NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 341.44 , NVIDIA Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%):          1.147055
    Driver with highest DPC total execution time:         USBPORT.SYS - USB 1.1 & 2.0 Port Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%)                          1.325890

DPC count (execution time <250 µs):                   52275562
    DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
    DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs):                5
    DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              0
    DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              0
    DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
    Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count:                 dllhost.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults                       5244
    Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process:          1072
    Highest hard pagefault resolution time (µs):          506774.396250
    Total time spent in hard pagefaults (%):              0.165020
    Number of processes hit:                              29

PER CPU DATA
    CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       143.094197
    CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs):                118.4450
    CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s):                   8.187264
    CPU 0 ISR count:                                      6275851
    CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs):                293.1050
    CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s):                   87.789829
    CPU 0 DPC count:                                      40018822
    CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       93.313876
    CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs):                125.290
    CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s):                   5.504565
    CPU 1 ISR count:                                      1169841
    CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs):                292.31250
    CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s):                   58.252446
    CPU 1 DPC count:                                      4077184
    CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       104.871654
    CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs):                118.940
    CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s):                   5.723335
    CPU 2 ISR count:                                      1177015
    CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs):                209.27250
    CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s):                   67.675967
    CPU 2 DPC count:                                      4104347
    CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       81.233991
    CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs):                355.56750
    CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s):                   5.312040
    CPU 3 ISR count:                                      1170797
    CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs):                278.71750
    CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s):                   56.947003
    CPU 3 DPC count:                                      4075214

Gerry Peters
    Midi Magic Studio
    gmp
    Re: LatencyMon - how to interpret results? 2015/04/17 00:50:23 (permalink)
    As you suggested bvideo, I deleted AUD.INI and let Platinum create a new one. I compared the new one to my old one and the old one is bloated with lots of likely outdated stuff from who knows how long ago, since I've been using Cakewalk since the DOS days.

Strangely when I played a project with the new AUD.INI I got a huge number of crackles, so I had to revert back to the previous AUD.INI. On saturday I'll have time to dig into it and find out why that's happening, unless you have a clue. I even closed and reopened Platinum to see if that'd help - same crackles. I looked pretty closely at Preferences to see if I could spot a problem and didn't find anything. I'll look more closely on saturday.

ADDENDUM
    It's friday and I redid the new AUD.INI and this time there are no crackles. So I obviously messed something up before. So false alarm, the new AUD.INI is fine and I think it's a good idea to redo it fresh sometimes, so thanks bvideo.

post edited by gmp - 2015/04/17 20:04:24

Gerry Peters
    Midi Magic Studio
    gmp
    Re: LatencyMon - how to interpret results? 2015/05/06 03:17:20 (permalink)
    Problem solved - I did a clean Win 7 install - Platinum only plus Ivory and Superior Drummer. I recorded piano, bass, and drums on several songs over the last few days, did lots of punching in and didn't have one dropout or loss of focus like I had been having. With the other Win7 install I'd been having a dropout about every 20 min doing this sort of recording, so it looks like this problem is solved.

I'm amazed at how fast everything is, Win7 had gotten sluggish. I did very few tweaks, just "no sounds" in Windows, made sure my onboard Realtek audio was playing wav files with Win Media Player, etc, turned off Power Options. I left indexing on for my C drive and left Windows Search on.  As I install others things I need I'll watch things closely and keep making new image files, in case I need to revert.

Gerry Peters
    Midi Magic Studio
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: LatencyMon - how to interpret results? 2015/05/06 09:09:32 (permalink)
    I see its working.  One comment on your 64 bit OS and only 4GB of RAM.  A 64 bit OS uses more of the basic memory than a 32 bit OS does, thus there is less left for programs.   I would seriously consider upgrading memory if the motherboard you have will accept more than 4GB. 

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1