Helpful ReplyLatin American Prog

Author
Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
2017/08/12 15:48:00 (permalink)

Latin American Prog

Article on Bandcamp Daily

It looks like there may be some interesting stuff here, just dipping in I liked the sound of Jorge Pescara's "Reptilian Song", I will be listening in more detail when I have time.

I suspect Pedro will stop in and say Hi shortly.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
bapu
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Latin American Prog 2017/08/12 16:50:02 (permalink)
Can't listen today.

I gotz bazz tracks to due.
Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
Re: Latin American Prog 2017/08/12 20:02:27 (permalink)
bapu
Can't listen today.

I gotz bazz tracks to due.

:)

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
Moshkito
Max Output Level: -37.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3765
Re: Latin American Prog 2017/08/13 05:14:20 (permalink)
Glyn Barnes
Article on Bandcamp Daily
I suspect Pedro will stop in and say Hi shortly.

Surprisingly enough I'm not as well versed on these in specific, however, the Brazilian scene has always had some interesting stuff and some of it way out there. Before I left Brazil in 1965, Maria Betania, Roberto Carlos, Antonio Varlos Jobim and others were starting to pick up their fame, and most of the work they did was different and progressive, compared to the popular stuff and the usual samba and bossa nova,

A few years later, the jazz scene in Brazil took off rather big, with Milton Nascimento, Egberto Gismonti, Nana Vasconcellos and even to an extent, Flora Purim and her drummer husband, that has a few albums as well. All of these made the Brazilian scene strong for my tastes in different styles of music. 

I was not well versed in the other progressive things in South America, although I have heard many times Los Jaivas.

The hard part of all this is that there is a lot of their "culture" in the music itself, and this is something that folks that are enamored with "progressive" do not like, and Spain is a great example of that, just because a band might infuse a Spanish guitar into the whole thing, and then not appreciated for their fine work ... like there are no Fenders in any other music all over the world, right? Things like Triana, Granada, and a few others were grossly ignored, and they were very strong and dedicated.

For those of you that like to read about the music revolution from the 60's on, ALL OVER THE WORLD, you really should check "EUROCK", by Archie Patterson, which is a collection of his periodical going back to the early 70's and he does not miss a single European country at all, and sometimes, makes one think that even Genesis ripped off OSANNA, who was doing theatrical and political stuff for several years already, and Genesis caught their shows more than once BEFORE they ended up doing the longer material and include some costumes. ANGE in France also did it, although I would say their material is more influenced by Jacques Brel and the German factory of Kurt Weill and Bertold Brecht .. and these are things that the history of "progressive (anything)" ignores mercilessly, and this hurts the cultural side of things and the appreciation of things that might come from Chile ... we will always compare it to what we know, and not simply listen for what it is ... or isn't.

South America, probably has more progressive music these days, than Europe, but sadly is not as well heard otherwise. 

Now you know why things like AC/DC don't turn me on ... by that time I had heard so much different stuff that more of the same just was not what I enjoyed, and that is not to say that it is bad ... just not my preference.

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: Latin American Prog 2017/08/13 13:49:35 (permalink)
Moshkito

...and sometimes, makes one think that even Genesis ripped off OSANNA, who was doing theatrical and political stuff for several years already, and Genesis caught their shows more than once BEFORE they ended up doing the longer material and include some costumes. 

I doubt that's true, if you do some simple research on the timeline of the 2 bands. Osanna were formed in 1970, the same year Genesis recorded Trespass, which is made of 6 tracks, none under 4 minutes long. They also supported Genesis on tour in 1972, so I would guess their costume/make-up influences came at least partly from Gabriel.

This constant berating of bands for 'ripping off' people is quite spurious you know, a load of stuff was happening concurrently in the early '70s, and people were influencing each other.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: Latin American Prog 2017/08/13 21:23:59 (permalink)
For someone who wasn't well versed on the specific topic, that was a lot of tl;dr! 

As for my collection, I have some Bacamarte, Os Mutantes, Sagrado Coracao Da Terra and Violeta De Outono that would fall into the Progressive arena.

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: Latin American Prog 2017/08/13 21:32:10 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby craigb 2017/08/13 21:40:58
I'd highly recommend reading 'Brecht, Weill & Brel, Their Importance in the History of Progressive Music' by Donatella Noboddi.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
craigb
Re: Latin American Prog 2017/08/13 21:41:32 (permalink)

bapu
Re: Latin American Prog 2017/08/13 22:23:07 (permalink)
jamesg1213
I'd highly recommend reading 'Brecht, Weill & Brel, Their Importance in the History of Progressive Music' by Donatella Noboddi.

ROTFLMAO
Moshkito
Re: Latin American Prog 2017/08/14 23:19:33 (permalink)
jamesg1213

This constant berating of bands for 'ripping off' people is quite spurious you know, a load of stuff was happening concurrently in the early '70s, and people were influencing each other.

"Osanna were among the first bands in the world to present themselves theatrically in their shows, featuring costumes and made-up faces."

And if you do a little more research in EUROCK, with the actual members of the band, they had been doing theatrical material on stage for a couple of years already before they became, almost exclusively a rock band ... which is when Wiki and YOU, decided that the band was born.

Before you decide that I am wrong ... go read a bit more ... instead of the crap that often comes off as "important" in a place that uses "fans" and "friends" to invent history. And folks like you love to think that it is all true and peachy clean all the time.

The British did not invent progressive music, and neither did they start the movements that helped define progressive music, for which many other composers from all over the world (mostly Europe), and artists, whose experimental work was considerably more out there than in London. London, does however get some credit for having taken many of those experiments and adding them to theater, and Peter Brook gets a lot of that credit, but if you check his tendencies and studies, they are not only Zen, but way out there in a completely different sensibility that is not British or English, or American at all.

But, some folks will NEVER stop saying that Genesis, Yes and ELP invented progressive music. That just shows how much music you really know and listen to. Even in Germany, there were "word plays" and "musical theater" that was out of control, and eventually gave us many experimental folks, like Werner Herzog, Wim Wenders, and this also helped bring out bands like Can, Amon Duul 1 and 2 and Faust, not to mention the total free form turn the knob factory of music.

You just think that progressive is something that came out of nothing in England ... and Genesis invented ... it's got to be the name with its biblical implications that make you think that is true!

Go check the progressions in other arts and how they blended. Even in Czechoslovakia there were groups that were massive in 1968 in their revolution of which the leader also enjoyed openly. Same thing in France during the riots, and Daevid Allen was there where he met the majority of folks that ended up in their eponymous band, which was theatrical in words, but Daevid always had outfits with him.

This makes me want to hate Genesis so much for being more pretentious than most progressive music ... you have no idea! ELP was more original, even though some of the classical music they worked with was nowhere near England in origin, though I have to check all these pieces. KE's attacks were way more important and interesting as interpretation of music, than some words about Mack the Arseholy!

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
craigb
Re: Latin American Prog 2017/08/15 20:27:29 (permalink)
Al Gore invented Prog music.

bapu
Re: Latin American Prog 2017/08/15 20:38:53 (permalink)
craigb
Al Gore invented Prog music.

And then Punk and Ska too.
Moshkito
Re: Latin American Prog 2017/08/16 02:42:31 (permalink)
Hi,

My apologies for the tone, but music has thousands of years of history, and Europe is an incredible melting pot in the 20th century when it comes to the arts ... one can say that things like Cubism, and Surrealism had its origin somewhere (where was music then? nowhere?) ... and then it's like music wakes up in London with the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Kinks, The Who and such, and no one can tell me that Paris, New York, Tokyo, and Rome, did not have their very own inventive works in many of the art disciplines. These cities are FAMOUS for the incredible variety of works ... I usually don't like to mention New York here, because of its insane redo's of so many musical and old things ... but they still have a lot of new things, even if they are in Off-Broadway and Off-Off-Broadway, where folks like Sam Sheppard could be found playing drums as you walked in the theater for fun and then go run the light board, or the sound board. And if you have never read or heard about the million ping-pong balls, you missed out on some great fun and weird stuff ... !!!

Likewise, Rio de Janeiro and Buenos Aires are absolutely HUGE when it comes to music, even though we kinda think that the Tango belongs to Argentina and the Samba belongs in Brazil during the Carnaval ... but these cities are also know to be huge cultural centers, though my thoughts are that the political situation in Argentina for the past 30/40 years has been way too nasty for these to survive well and be heard. Along the same lines, Mexico City is also a massive music center, though we tend to think that Mexico only has Mariachi music ... and they have a heck of a lot more ... and some of it is funny ... like you have not heard that Mariachi band doing some rock music, like Metallica and stuff? That's really adventurous and out there if not crazy.

In the US, these scenes are difficult to even study and discuss ... and it's (I think) because it's like the US is so many different countries ... what you get in LA, is not the same as SF or NY, or Memphis! But it's there all the same.

The only issue with "progressive" is the most common one ... we do not hear enough of other cultures and their music to stop being completely desensitized by the top ten process ... where we have the tendency to think that everything has to sound like that, and be like that in format ... and this hurts horribly the ability of new folks coming up with their own music and new musics. They will not get a decent ear, because you touch here and there in Bandcamp, and within a minute you decide it's not what you like ... sort of like, you have to like Beethoven for the whole Symphony, or Mozart for the complete piece ... and you have not given it a good ear.

I appreciate Glyn a lot ... for mentioning these things and even to remind me ... ooopppsss forgot about those ... but seeing the responses by some folks, that basically are stating that the rest of the world is all a bunch of third and fourth world countries when it comes to music and the arts ... is kinda sick. All you have to do is watch some of their films ... yeah I know ... you can't stand subtitles! 

Would you not love a woman, if she was mute and did not speak the language you do?

Where is your soul? And you say you are into the music/art of it?

craigb
Re: Latin American Prog 2017/08/16 03:49:01 (permalink)
Moshkito
Would you not love a woman, if she was mute and did not speak the language you do?

I may be going out on a limb here, but if she was mute, she wouldn't be speaking any language, would she?  I suppose she could sign, or write your honey-do's on a piece of paper though... 

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1