Helpful ReplyLeaning The Modes

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Voda La Void
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 723
Re: Leaning The Modes 2018/06/12 21:03:35 (permalink)
Well, this is a bit of a struggle so far.  I've got to figure my way out of this box.  

I was reading your last post and I kind of wish I would have started learning all this differently.  See, I mapped out the whole E major scale on my fret board, to start with, then worked from low E to high E, 3 notes per string.  I did this with E, A, C, D, G and F, and had planned to continue on this way.  

I would vocalize the position in the scale, so for E major I would start off "1", 3 notes per string up and then back down, then move up to F# and vocalize "2", rinse and repeat.  So, I got to the point where I could recognize the patterns of each mode, but since I'm blindly doing 3 notes per string, I never really "see" the mode, rather it just becomes the note I start with in the scale as opposed to really playing in that mode.  

So, I know how to start playing in all of the modes...their patterns are recognizable, but I'm struggling on how to play in them, exclusively, without just spilling back into noodling around in the relative major.  

I'll get it..but it's an adjustment.  Trying to see the mode instead of it all just disappearing into one big selection of notes.  

Voda La Void...experiments in disturbing frequencies...
Beepster
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re: Leaning The Modes 2018/06/12 22:08:51 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Voda La Void 2018/06/13 12:35:37
Voda La Void
Well, this is a bit of a struggle so far.  I've got to figure my way out of this box.  

I was reading your last post and I kind of wish I would have started learning all this differently.  See, I mapped out the whole E major scale on my fret board, to start with, then worked from low E to high E, 3 notes per string.  I did this with E, A, C, D, G and F, and had planned to continue on this way.  

I would vocalize the position in the scale, so for E major I would start off "1", 3 notes per string up and then back down, then move up to F# and vocalize "2", rinse and repeat.  So, I got to the point where I could recognize the patterns of each mode, but since I'm blindly doing 3 notes per string, I never really "see" the mode, rather it just becomes the note I start with in the scale as opposed to really playing in that mode.  

So, I know how to start playing in all of the modes...their patterns are recognizable, but I'm struggling on how to play in them, exclusively, without just spilling back into noodling around in the relative major.  

I'll get it..but it's an adjustment.  Trying to see the mode instead of it all just disappearing into one big selection of notes.  

What you just described sounds all good to me. I recommend trying it out the way I described for Starise but that is kind of a hack short cut. What we really want to do is be able to produce our modes by tone/steps/notes/keys and not worry about the grid.

The way I described the grid there does NOT produce many of the recommended ways to perform the modes for max efficiency. All it does is let you visualize and familiarize yourself with the entire grid sequentially.

Once you are familiar with said grid and can visualize and mentally move it around on the fretboard then you can start looking for "effiencies" in how you want to approach a lick or chord.

When I write something I am constantly probing around those 7 stacked patterns to find the best one to facilitate what I want to play and/or find different textures from the same chord using the various triad inversions and/or physical string combos (of course a low E string rings differently than a G string so that would be an example of the raw and physical nature of the guitar being manipulated for effect).

Stevie Ray Vaughn (and Jimi) were masters at this. That's why even simple stuff of their sounded so full and crazy.

For you, Voda, try this...

Visualize E Aeolian (Natural Minor) and strum/drone/noodle around in 1st position (using the open notes). After a few bars switch to a 1st position G Major chord (the "campfire" G or my preference G5... not a barre chord) and again drone/noodle around in the exact same 1st position pattern you were playing for the E but NOW focusing on the I, III and V of the G Major chord (the sweet notes). Then go back down to the E again.

G is the relative Major of E minor (and of course vice versa). You have essentially just moved back and forth between your natural Major and minor with very little extra movement, stress or overthinking. The shape of your hand to form the G chord already puts you in a prime position to efficiently launch into little G Major noodlings and I'm assuming you are already pretty decent at soloing in E minor.

Now try moving all that up to the 5th fret. So now your are using Amin and CMaj as your chords (and of course A natural minor and G natural Major as your modes). This time you will create a barre chord for your Amin at the 5th fret (and nooodle around over top) and for your CMaj chord you will use your pinky to fret the C on your low E string (8th fret), your "ring" (3rd) finger to play the E (III) of CMaj on the 7th fret of the A string and create a barre with your index finger across the 5th fret from the A string up to the B string (which I'll explain now).

Damn I really need to dig out my files but hopefully you get that...

Anyway to play your CMaj chord in that position just think of your GMaj chord in 1st position and all the fancy stuff you could do with it there. Now that barre you created across the 5th fret allows for all that to be done rather easily (if you have a strong pinky for the root... if not it needs to be developed). For a proper CMaj chord in that position you would only be sounding the D and G strings so you don't have to really worry about fully fretting the the barre on the A string BUT by having the barre more or less there starting at the A string you can do a nice sounding SRV style hammer-on on the A string from the 5th fret up to the 7th fret of your CMaj chord).

So I may not be describing that very well just now but you seem to be picking up what I'm slingin' and rolling with it.

What I'm really trying to convey with that exercise/experiment is that the very rigid pattern system I described is meant to be a launching pad and is mostly intended to teach pure fretboard mapping from a hyper reductionist angle. What you described is more in the spirit of modal guitar theory which is more dancing around that fretboard map in the most efficient way... if that makes sense.

What I've provided here (in this post) is an example of playing efficiently in two distinct modes without having to change position on the fretboard.

There are of course 7 primary chords and modes in each each key (ignoring Harmonic and Melodic minor silliness) so that means you can goof around like this with any 1st position patterns and chord shapes anywhere on the fretboard simply by moving it elsewhere and adjusting your left hand fingering so that where your open strings used to be you are instead using an Index finger barre and then compensating for the remainder of the pattern with your remaining fingers.... more or less.

umm... so, ya... that was a little chaotic but check it out and ask any questions. Gonna take a breather.

lol

Cheers!

Beepster
Re: Leaning The Modes 2018/06/12 22:12:20 (permalink)
BTW, what I described above is CAGED theory-ish so if you are familiar with that a bit or give that a quick overview online it might connect a few more dots for ya.

Relying solely on CAGED theory is not recommended by Beepster Inc or its affiliates.

;-)

Beepster
Re: Leaning The Modes 2018/06/12 22:39:41 (permalink)
uurrrrmmm... okay, so afterthoughts keep popping into my head so apologies if I'm seeming crazy/overposting but whatevs...

I also highly recommend looking (or more accurately STARING FOR HOURS) at full fretboard maps in scale books. Using everything I've said here try to focus your eyes and mind on those specific "stackable" 1st position modes up the fretboard. Use the low E as your mental barre chord for each step up the fretboard and you'll see the patterns stacking themselves within the overall pattern.

You will also see how the patterns overlap and more efficient possibilites emerge from said intertwixting or failing that look at the recommended fingering for that scale/mode in that position/key.

Those scale books generally only offer one option per position though when there are obviously different interpretations.

One other thing in regards to the "3 notes per string" concept.

Even in the best scenario for "3 notes per string" (although exactly what you want) there will always be one string that only has 2 notes. In mostly the G string but in the case of a straight E to E Locrian the G string plays three notes while the B string plays two.

But yes... 3 notes per string is a good general principal to maximize efficiency. It does need to be broken quite often though for many reasons so when I needs to be toss... toss that mutha.
Voda La Void
Re: Leaning The Modes 2018/06/13 12:42:56 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Starise 2018/06/13 14:26:35
Fretboard maps...scale books...stackable modes...I'm on it.  Thanks for the help, really.  I know this thread is for everybody but I appreciate the time you've spent posting all this.  It's pretty awesome.  

Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: Leaning The Modes 2018/06/13 14:27:17 (permalink)
Awesome yes!  Lots of great info. Thanks!

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

Beepster
Re: Leaning The Modes 2018/06/13 19:50:42 (permalink)
No problem guys. It's good for me to nerd out on this stuff every so often anyway as a refresher.

There's a lot for you guys to muck about with now so dig in and let me know if you get stuck or have any additional queries. I usually check the CH once a day even though I'm not posting as much as I used to (this thread excluded... lulz).

Cheers!
dmbaer
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2585
Re: Leaning The Modes 2018/06/13 21:10:36 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Starise 2018/06/14 13:39:33
Relevant to this topic is a new (I think new, anyway) piece of software on sale right now really cheap:

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/3-Studio-Tools/72-Utility/4447-InstaScale?utm_source=PIB+Optin+List&utm_campaign=7d7ee1efea-NL+100118+ALL_COPY_02&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_168c8b9b40-7d7ee1efea-315353997&mc_cid=7d7ee1efea&mc_eid=8121ad76f4

For the money, anybody really interested in getting proficient in modes and alternate scale possibilities may find this quite valuable.
ØSkald
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1248
Re: Leaning The Modes 2018/06/13 21:35:30 (permalink)
Rick Beato has some great videos here.

What You Should Know About Chord Families and Their Modes

Music Theory Lecture - What Every Pro Musician Needs To Know

Music Theory Lecture - What Every Pro Musician Needs To Know Pt 2

Asus TUF Z370-Pro Gaming, Bugera Trirec Infinium, Cakewalk Platinum, Corsair RM750 750W, Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4x8GB, Gigabyte GTX 960 2GB, Genelec 6010A with 5040A sub, Ibanez AEG10II BK, Ibanez Iron Label RGIR27E BK, Ibanez Iron Label RGIR28FE BK, Ibanez RG550 RF, Ibanez RG570 FMCS, Ibanez SR506 BM, Intel Core i7 8700K, USB, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate with Kontrol S61, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD, Samsung SSDs 840 EVO 1TB, Toontrack EZdrummer 2, Toontrack EZMix 2, Toontrack Superior Drummer 3, UA Apollo Twin Duo, Windows 10 Pro
Beepster
Re: Leaning The Modes 2018/06/13 21:36:03 (permalink)
dmbaer
Relevant to this topic is a new (I think new, anyway) piece of software on sale right now really cheap:

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/3-Studio-Tools/72-Utility/4447-InstaScale?utm_source=PIB+Optin+List&utm_campaign=7d7ee1efea-NL+100118+ALL_COPY_02&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_168c8b9b40-7d7ee1efea-315353997&mc_cid=7d7ee1efea&mc_eid=8121ad76f4

For the money, anybody really interested in getting proficient in modes and alternate scale possibilities may find this quite valuable.

GuitarPro is pretty durned good for this stuff too. At least it used to be.

Should be used as a reference/experimental sandbox/musical calculator though just for confirmation. Ideally the player would eventually be able to do the calculations in their heads on the fly which is why I like the chart paper method coupled with tons of practice.

These days though, instead of chart paper, I use Windows Notepad. I have a bunch of blank templates for notation, tablature (my own crazy take on tab that includes a bunch of extra relevant info), fretboard diagrams and so on.

I just pull up the correct template, copy it to whatever doc I'm working on and drop the appropriate info into the blank.

The reason I use Notepad is because of the raw [CODE] style formatting. It keeps everything lined up whereas any programming that formats text automatically screws it all up (like this forum... otherwise I would have typed up some charts for ya'll).

I really gotta get back to working on my crazy website about all this. I kind of bailed on it to learn all this production stuff but I've got a decent handle on all that now I think (I HOPE... after 5+ years, lol).

And Mr. Bauer... I've known you to be one of the most musically intellectual posters around these parts so if you have any extra thoughts, critiques or opinions as to what I've posted have at 'er. As much as I know I'm still a self taught hack.

;-)

Cheers.
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: Leaning The Modes 2018/06/14 13:54:17 (permalink)
I wonder if the chord recognition in Cubase and Studio One 4 are similar. Can't beat the price of that app. Thanks for the heads up.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

bayoubill
  • Total Posts : 10899
Re: Leaning The Modes 2018/06/14 14:43:29 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Beepster 2018/06/14 20:09:05
Most important think to do is to be able to hear,recognize and if possible sing the intervals from the root of what ever mode you're working in without an instrument. Hearing an interval in your mind without having to play it to know what it sounds like. Root and 3rd (maj and min) / Root and 5th/ Root and 7th( min and maj7th) / Root and #4th(same sound as flat 5th) / Root and 6th(maj and min) Root and 9th. 
In other words LEARN these sounds from the Root in your mind.

C major (Ionian) Scale intervals;

C = root
D = 2nd 
E =3rd
F = 4th
G =5th
A =6th 
B = 7th
D = 9th
F# = #11 (#4th)
A = 13th 
If you know the sounds in your mind listed above without having to play them first on an instrument you have a tremendous jump in where and how you can use them. 

This would be the starting point to begin using the info above and thank you Beepster for freely giving this very useful material to the forum!!!

Most know the blues scale and you can use the fingerings and licks you already know to get the sounds of all the modes above and actually apply them to the songs you want to play. You must be aware of the material above to use that kind of info. It's important to know the 21 scales but you don't have to drill on them. A thoughtful step at a time will get you results and useful improvement in your playing

SWAMP MUSIC
Sonar PLATINUM        
Studio Cat DAW

Beepster
Re: Leaning The Modes 2018/06/14 20:02:33 (permalink)
Indeed, Billy and thanks. I was contemplating going into a diatribe about intervals and what they mean/how they are analyzed... so let's do that now because it is really cool and helpful stuff when dealing with diatonic scale/mode theory (and chord construction).

I learned (almost) all this stuff from that book "Elementary Rudiments of Music" Starise mentioned upthread. It really is a fabulous book (although a bit dry and clinical but it IS a textbook so yanno... no pissin' around which I personally like).

First off it needs to be noted that the Tone/Semitone sequence of the Major (Ionian) scale is what we use as our "yardstick" for ALL interval measurements. You measure from the "I" step (Root note) up to whatever note you are creating/"solving" your interval with... no matter what. There is a specific naming convention for all the intervals in the Major scale. There is also a specific naming convention/protocol when analyzing/manipulating intervals that do not conform to the Major scale Tone/Semitone sequence.

The default terms used in our (unaltered) Major scale yardstick for each interval are as follows...

I = Perfect Unison
II = Major 2nd
III = Major 3rd
IV = Perfect 4th
V = Perfect 5th
VI = Major 6th
VII = Major 7th
VIII = Perfect Octave

In proper music theory we never use the same letter note twice in the same diatonic scale/key (in theory... once you start using scales with more than 7 notes like Mixo-Blues that goes out the window). So you would never use Gb and G in the same key... you would use F# and G instead.

So to maintain that "one letter name per step" principle while being able to cover all 12 keys we instead Sharp (+1 semitone) and Flat (-1 semitone) any notes that do not conform to our Major scale yardstick. It's essentially forcing all these keys and scales to conform to the hard ass rules of the stave. As counterintuitive as it may seem ("why not have 12 letter note names?") it actually works out very elegantly and is very interesting to explore, especially on guitar and/or writing it out by hand.

Now I'm going to show you what the procedure is to acheive this on our yardstick and the terms we use (and when we use them) when identifying the interval "qualities" (quality meaning whether the interval is Major, Minor, diminished, augmented, etc) of each step. This is where you need to actually memorize some stuff but it's not too hard.

For each step I will use -1, -2 or +1 to indicate how many semitones are being added or removed to/from our interval along with what the proper term is when we do any of those things to said interval.

I* = Perfect Unison
-1 = Diminished 1st
+1 = Augmented 1st

*Since this is the Root we don't screw with it. We make everything else wrap around it HOWEVER it is fun to contemplate such as the concept of Zero and the like. But yeah, altering this step merely puts you in another key/mode so it serves no practical purpose. If you did though that's the correct terminology (I think).

II = Major 2nd
-1 = minor 2nd
-2 = diminished 2nd
+1 = Augmented 2nd

III = Major 3rd
-1 = minor 3rd
-2 = diminished 3rd
+1 = Augmented 3rd

IV = Perfect 4th
-1 = diminished 4th
+1 = Augmented 4th

V = Perfect 5th
-1 = diminished 5th
+1 = Augmented 5th

VI = Major 6th
-1 = minor 6th
-2 = diminished 6th
+1 = Augmented 6th

VII = Major 7th
-1 = minor 7th
-2 = diminished 7th
+1 = Augmented 7th

VIII* = Perfect Octave
-1 = diminished 8ve (octave)
+1 = Augmented 8ve (octave)

*Just like the "I" (root) we don't bugger with this outside of extreme naval gazing. ;-)

First thing to notice is that all steps that start out as "Perfect" can only become diminished (-1 semitone) and Augmented (+1 semitone) while all steps that start out as "Major" have three possibilities, minor (-1 semitone), diminished (-2 semitones) and Augmented (+1 semitone).

An easy way to remember this is think of your twelve bar blues. I, IV and V are the chords you are playing and the I, IV and V of our Major scale yardstick are "Perfect". You can only add (Augment) or subtract (diminish) 1 semitone with a "Perfect" interval.

The remainder of our steps are II, III, VI and VII... all of which start out as "Major". You will notice that you can subtract up to 2 semitones from these intervals but like the "Perfect" intervals you may only add 1 semitone. So whenever you are on one these four steps of our yardstick the sequence is -1 = minor, -2 = diminished and as with all steps +1 = Augmented.

If you have to go beyond these boundaries then you are breaking the laws of diatonic theory which means one of two things... you are using a scale that has more than 7 notes (such as blues scales and the like) or you are misinterpreting the interval/scale/chord/key/etc.

Okay, so that is some pretty crazy old school music nerd stuff and probably a little heavy for folks just looking for some new noodling possibilities but it's super useful for understanding a plethora of musical concepts and language.

Cheers!
bluzdog
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1928
Re: Leaning The Modes 2018/06/14 20:17:25 (permalink)
 Here's my approach:  It all adds up to 9. Harp players have been using this for years and don’t even know it. Let’s say you are playing a blues in the key of A and want to solo in Mixolydian. Mixolydian is the 5th mode so you would look a 4th above it and play the notes from the key of D major but in the spirit of A .
Let’s say you are playing in A minor and want the feel of Phrygian for that spooky White Rabbit intro feel; Phrygian is the 3rd mode so the relative major scale F.
It works with inverting intervals as well. A 4th becomes a 5th when inverted i.e; the distance fromA to D is a 4th. Inversely the distance from D to A is a 5th.  A 3rd becomes a 6th, a 6th becomes a 3rd and on down the line.
I was sitting by a pool in Albuquerque thinking about how to simplify modes when this hit me over the head. If I’m looking for a different flavor this definitely helps. Here’s how I relate to different modes and how they sound:
  • 1 Ionian (I) = The major scale
  • 2 Dorian (II) = Santana - Black Magic Woman
  • 3 Phrygian (III) = Jefferson Airplane - White Rabbit spooky intro
  • 4 Lydian (IV) = I got nothing
  • 5 Mixolydian (V) = Blues Heaven
  • 6 Aeolian (VI) = Natural minor scale
  • 7 Locrian (VII) = minor 7th flat 5, get out there and play with the neighbors.
I couldn't get my head around modes until I started thinking of them in terms of flavors rather than scale steps.

Rocky
Beepster
Re: Leaning The Modes 2018/06/14 20:35:14 (permalink)
Nice one, Rocky. Good to see ya.

Here's an interesting one (that I just had to whip out the scale book to confirm... but I'm glad I did because it exposed a flaw in my original assumption)...

If you overlay the Dorian mode overtop of the Mixolydian mode you get the Mixo-Blues scale.... EXCEPT (and this is the part I had been overlooking) the Mixo-Blues scale also includes a diminished 5th in it's chromatic run.
Beepster
Re: Leaning The Modes 2018/06/14 20:44:02 (permalink)
There are those who are born into this world with raw, natural musical ability.
For the rest of us there is music theory.

;-)
dmbaer
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2585
Re: Leaning The Modes 2018/06/14 21:50:31 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Beepster 2018/06/14 21:52:24
Beepster
if you have any extra thoughts, critiques or opinions

I'll just offer this - something I came up with when I was studying (or trying to study, anyway) harmony.  To memorize the order of the modes, starting with the major scale, this memory aide came in handy: "I Do Please Little Maids And Ladies" (Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian and Locrian). 

Beepster
Re: Leaning The Modes 2018/06/14 21:54:25 (permalink)
HA! Nice.
Leadfoot
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2817
Re: Leaning The Modes 2018/06/15 00:29:17 (permalink)
Very cool thread... I'm gonna go home and dig up my music theory notebooks I made in college.
Kamikaze
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3013
Re: Leaning The Modes 2018/06/15 00:52:00 (permalink)
The Transpose Midi FX in Sonar lets you change the mode of your midi. You can compare the vibe of each mode on music you already have in midi form 

Beepster
Re: Leaning The Modes 2018/06/15 00:59:06 (permalink)
Leadfoot
Very cool thread... I'm gonna go home and dig up my music theory notebooks I made in college.

Ya, man. Do eet!

Some of the stuff mentioned today has me itching to post some more nerdiness but I think I may be typed out for the eve.

I also just spent the past few hours fervently hunting around my apartment for, initially, an extra guitar strap for my acoustic and then trying to find where in the heck I hid all my extra boot laces so I could actually use the strap I did find.

Bootlaces are still missing in action but I got ticked off and forced the issue by fashioning a headstock harness out of hair elastics.

TAKE THAT YOU FICKLE HIDEY BOOTLACES!!! BEEPSTER DON'T NEED YOU!!!

jk... please come home bootlaces because this hair elastic remedy is silly and stopgap
Beepster
Re: Leaning The Modes 2018/06/15 01:02:39 (permalink)
Kamikaze
The Transpose Midi FX in Sonar lets you change the mode of your midi. You can compare the vibe of each mode on music you already have in midi form 

IIRC the seldom used Fretboard View (or whatever it's called) in SONAR also has a scale/mode picker dropdown. I've never bothered with that thing though.
Kamikaze
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3013
Re: Leaning The Modes 2018/06/15 03:00:07 (permalink)
I dn't know that option on the fretbard view, I know about changing string tunings, but I don't use that view either.

The Midi Transpse effect allws you to pay C Ionian on the keyboard, but tell it to create an output of E Dorian or what ever. handy if you are a guitarist and want to cheat on the keys. 

I always find D Ionian the most comfortable mode on the Sax/Flute. D Ionian n my Soprano is actually  C Ionian, and on my Alto flute it's A Ionian. So Midi Transpose cane be useful for changing the output of my Midi Sax to accompany which ever real instrument I'm focused on.

Voda La Void
Re: Leaning The Modes 2018/06/16 21:31:02 (permalink)
Ok so I was messing with an old song I wrote that has me puzzled now in terms of theory. It's the verse part.

It's Am (yay!), and while holding that chord open, fret the low G, then to F#, repeat a couple times, then switch to Bm, and same business, strum that while fretting the low G, but then to F, repeat a couple times. It just goes back and forth. That Bm while hitting the low G and then F is the part that has me scratching my head. It sounds sinister, sure, and maybe a bit ugly to some, but I like the darkness in that bit.

So, the Am part would seem to be Dorian mode, key of G. Easy enough. But the Bm part...I don't know. I seem to be able to solo over it nicely in Lydian position key of C. But that seems odd too, because there's no F# in that scale, yet F# is the 5th of B, and part of its triad.

If I understand correctly...Bm can only be in 3 possible keys, one of 3 possible modes..and it does not appear to be in mode 2,3 or 6..so I have no idea what's going on here.

I've probably worded all this wrong, but what in the hell is this Bm thing?

Beepster
Re: Leaning The Modes 2018/06/16 21:46:08 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Voda La Void 2018/06/16 23:01:38
Just to give a quick/brief and timely answer (I'm guessing you have your axe in your hands right now... I'm doing some editing so won't drone on).

The simple answer is... you are breaking the key/modal pattern when you switch to the Bm (again at a very quick glance). Ain't nothing wrong with that and it's why your Bm sounds kind of simister as you described it. This is often referred to as the "chord by chord" approach to playing.

Essentially your chord progression breaks the overall key so every time it does you readjust your modal/fretboard map to compensate.

I'm gonna get back to my editing but will be back to nail down the keys/modes but in the meantime try "solving" the keys/modes of the Amin and Bmin chords in your song (taking into account those notes you are riding against them on the E string).

So again... this is an example of "breaking" the diatonic modal sequence for effect. You "recalculate" everything over again for the new chord. This can happen over several bars or just for a single beat chord change. That's how those jazz freaks seem to just dance all over the craziest chord progressions. They are constantly readjusting to the current chord.

Cheers.
Beepster
Re: Leaning The Modes 2018/06/16 22:04:53 (permalink)
I guess this would be a good time to say that sometimes you don't want to overanalyze things too much because there is no need to.

The album thingie I'm working on now breaks the key almost every bar (and often multiple times) but it is straight up riff metal written before I even knew any of this crap. I COULD technically analyze every damned section and nail down exactly what is happening on a "chord by chord" basis but it would take forever and serve no practical purpose (aside from nerding out which is fun but... just nerding out just to nerd out).

What I WILL be doing is a full analysis of the sections where my solos appear (and I had not already written a solo that works). Then I know all my options and can do the most damage.

As I said earlier... it's frustrating learning all these rules just to see how they are constantly broken in practice but understanding them is extremely useful. Especially when it comes time to break the rules.
Beepster
Re: Leaning The Modes 2018/06/16 22:17:26 (permalink)
Voda... I misinterpreted the chords and progression in play. It's still essentially the same situation I mentioned but I grokked it all wrong because I wasn't paying attention.

There may even be some harm/mel modal stuff going on there.

I'll get back to you when I'm less derped/distracted.
Voda La Void
Re: Leaning The Modes 2018/06/16 23:09:28 (permalink)
No worries Beepster.  It's not a burner or anything, just kind of like "uh..what just happened?".  I'm having fun with it, and I love the lydian mode!  

Beepster
Re: Leaning The Modes 2018/06/16 23:39:56 (permalink)
Okay, took another look. I get what you are doing now.

Your Amin chord is definitely A Dorian (and the relative Major G Ionian). So you got that "solved" (I keep using that word for a reason because it is literally "solving" a math problem) which is awesome.

My initial premise about the Amin/Bmin was more correct (I got confused thinking an F Maj chord was getting tossed in... which it is... kind of) so I guess ignore and/or glean something from my own logical error.

Your Bmin chord IS actually breaking the key but ONLY when you fret that natural F on the low E (or wherever). By doing that you are making your Bmin into a Bdim (diminished 5th) chord at that moment making it the root chord of the B Locrian mode (relative Major is C Major... one step above B).

There is also the possibility it can be viewed through the melodic and/or harmonic minor modes and how they shift and morph with the natural modes but then I really would have to take out some charts. lol

Hopefully all that made sense. Back to boring arse edits.

Cheers!
Beepster
Re: Leaning The Modes 2018/06/16 23:44:35 (permalink)
BTW... if you tried to played the usually occurring "Perfect" 5th of your Bmin chord while adding that natural F note you will hear a very serious clashing.

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1