Learning a new instrument vs cheating...?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Ron Vogel
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1074
Re:Learning a new instrument vs cheating...? 2009/12/31 13:24:57 (permalink)
Yeah, if you can get it to sound real...go for it. Either way it's an effort.

I wanted Tin Whistle in a song. I bought a few, and just couldn't get the hang of it. What did I do? Played 1 note in a rythm, and used VV to change the pitch into a melody! Then a Synth flute mixed back to round it out.

I am also starting to like using synths for bass guitar (even though I own and play bass guitar). Many times I use the real bass for fills, and everything else is "faked". The tone is just so much warmer than my bass rig.

I'm stuck in the past, but my foot's tapping forward 
Ron Vogel Soundclick page
rob.pulman
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1146
Re:Learning a new instrument vs cheating...? 2010/01/04 05:58:03 (permalink)
There's no way on Earth that anyone can get everything from authentic instruments. I'd also say that there's no such thing as 'cheating' in this hobby unless you steal someone else's stuff.

There is also room for every genre of music, so even if someone just recorded totally artificial drum samples at different tempos....if they like it then there's a place for it, whether it sounds artificial or not.

Stoojo Music

Dell 2400, XP 1 Gig RAM, Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz, M-Audio 2496, PSR310, LP Custom, Fender Strat, Yam Acoustic, Peavey amps, Zodiac BXP bass
JClosed
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 690
Re:Learning a new instrument vs cheating...? 2010/01/04 16:46:31 (permalink)
I can say I agree with a lot of people over here.

When a song, image or whatever is born or sculpted in your head it has to get out of your head and take shape. When a painter sees something in his imagination and uses not only paint, but photography, ink, wax, colored light ... just anything to create what is in his head, does he cheat? No - he is just using just the tings he has in his reach to create what he is seeing in his mind. He has no sun, so he creates one with paint and maybe light - and there it is... just as he imagined it. Did he cheat or did he just use what was available to create what he want to create?

Same goes for music. Sometimes you hear a song and it has to go out. You just use anything to create what is in your mind. Is creating something cheating? My idea is to create first and sculpt later on. If you do not lay down the framework of what is in your mind you risk losing it all in the process of being perfect. Lay down the bare roots of your mind process with anything you can use, can handle and what is available at that moment or risk losing it all. When you have laid down the rough picture and bare frame then, and only then, it is time for fine sculpture and refinement. You can replace the synths with the real instruments if you want to. Do anything to make the "picture" more "real".

To hear a song in your head is not cheating although you do admittedly not play any instrument at that very moment. It is all just a cloud of chemical/electrical impulses in some braincells (altough you could see the brain as the ultimate musical instrument). To use anything in your reach to shape what is in your head is not cheating in my opinion. So - please don't wory and just create and be happy...

Just my 5 cents.
jm24
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2127
Re:Learning a new instrument vs cheating...? 2010/01/23 11:29:58 (permalink)
Tommy Tedesco wrote about using guitar tuning on his banjo.

Sometimes Mother is the need of invention.

Rearranging the little grey cells comes from doing anything new. Always a good thing. But sometimes the learning curve is too long to be practical.

And though I want the flute sound to be "real" I cannot get my fingers to make the keyboard do what I "hear." Wish I played flute. (Wish I had the bucs to hire all the dudes who can play all the instruments I do not.)

But changing tuning on my guitar always results in a new musical phrase.

J

===================
CAUTION: The code in this software may fade or bleed. Bits may rub off on light colored applications and plug-ins. Wash before installing. Always update separately, holding breath, eyes closed.

timidi
Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5449
Re:Learning a new instrument vs cheating...? 2010/01/23 19:01:46 (permalink)
Bottom line is, your songs will never sound as good as they could unless played live by a group of musicians who know there instruments. everything else is emulation and never quite right. That said, ignore what I just said and direct your music to where it takes you.
It will be what it will be.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

jm24
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2127
Re:Learning a new instrument vs cheating...? 2010/01/23 21:51:24 (permalink)
Bottom line is, your songs will never sound as good as they could unless played live by a group of musicians who know there instruments

Then, let me change the above to: "your songs will never sound the same as they might,..."

J

==============================================
Challenge yourself daily:
Today stop using "UP" phrases and words; you will be a better person for it:

act up, add up, backup, break up, broke up, build up, caught up, choke up, clean up, close up, cook up, cooped up, crop up, cut up, doctor up, dry up, eat up, fed up, fill up, finish up, fired up, frame up, freshen up, going up, hang up, heal up, heat up, hold up, hook up, knock up, look up, make up, mark up, match up, measure up, mop up, open up, patch up, pick up, pony up, push up, ratchet up, ramp up, rev up, roll up, round up, run up, shrivel up, screw up, set up, settle up, shut up, smash up, stack up, straighten up, suck up, sum up, throw up, tighten up, trim up, tune up, turn up, wait up, warm up, wind up, wipe up, work up, wrap up, your up

------------------
ShadDOH
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1027
Re:Learning a new instrument vs cheating...? 2010/01/28 19:20:03 (permalink)
Learning guitar is very difficult if you have not played it from an early age... I've played since I was 12 so that's 40 years this year :-) So It's second nature for me? But I'm still no Batsbrew :-(   And never will be. I've taught myself to play the piano, which is considerably easier to learn than guitar because you have access to midi.. Guitar requires a lot of patience if you're trying to learn it. If you stick with it, you can learn it and play pretty well, but everyone I've ever seen who's tried to learn it later in life has given up :-( If you really want to learn it, you should take lessons and practice, over time, slowly, you'll get it. I play guitar, bass, piano, mandolin, dobro, and a little fiddle. My next instrument is a lap steel, after I finish putting my attorney's kids through college.

Please pray for Foxwolfen, pray for peace for him. And an end to any deception, anger, and hatred around him or influencing him.   

My stuff is here,  http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby 

Brett
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 534
Re:Learning a new instrument vs cheating...? 2010/01/29 03:44:01 (permalink)
Ron Vogel

I wanted Tin Whistle in a song. I bought a few, and just couldn't get the hang of it. What did I do? Played 1 note in a rythm, and used VV to change the pitch into a melody! Then a Synth flute mixed back to round it out.  

I really like this idea.

I think the important thing when using emulation is some mechanical way of getting expression. If you just use the mouse and click on the Sonar piano roll it will sound horrible. People often compliment me on how well I play drums, but the simple fact that in spite of great effort I can't play a single bar of a simple straight 8 beat on a drum kit, but I've learnt to programme drums well.

What I do is use BFD as my sound source and all manner ways of getting the timing correct. The other night I record myself playing an aluminium can with large cooking chopsticks to get my snare notes, then replaced the audio with midi notes. Often my tom tom notes come from me playing the desk with my hands. I'd like to use a real drummer but ...

Brett

post edited by Brett - 2010/01/29 04:11:17
mcourter
Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3442
Re:Learning a new instrument vs cheating...? 2010/01/29 15:45:36 (permalink)
Cheating, schmeating. Whatever it takes to get you music completed. I favor learning whatever instrument I need, but the fact is, I simply don't have time to learn ALL instruments, not while working 40+ hours a week and maintaining house and home and domestic tranquility. Not if  I want to compose and record my songs, anyway. If you're just playing for the fun of it, learn the entire orchestra if  you're so inclined. But if you want to accomplish anything, like finishing a song, for example, cheating could well be the way to do it. Plus, I just don't have the room for a drum kit.

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
Unbridled Enthusiasm
 My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
Janet
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8094
Re:Learning a new instrument vs cheating...? 2010/01/29 15:49:31 (permalink)
+1!!
munmun
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1319
Re:Learning a new instrument vs cheating...? 2010/01/29 17:05:06 (permalink)
Andrew G

Hi all,

I currently play piano/keys and a little bit of drums to create my tunes, and am having a good time with it.  I have tried on and off to learn the guitar but to be honest I always get frustrated and play the piano instead!

Anyhow, I have recently come across the Real Guitar/ RealStrat soft synths, and they seem just the ticket when it comes to making guitar accompaniments for my tracks.   I am tempted to pull the trigger on them, but theres something niggling at the back of my mind....

Is using software to imitate a guitar part technically 'cheating'?.  Do any other non-guitarists use soft synths to produce guitar tracks with a clear conscience?  Should I just spend the money on guitar lessons instead and be done with it?

Please help me through this (musically..) moral dilemma!

Andrew

I do exactly what you do in reverse.  I play guitar and bass but use Jamstix for drums and Band in a Box for Piano.  I make no apologies.  To me it is the same as hiring a session musician.  I am a songwriter first.  Learning to play more instruments is low on my priority list.  I want to hone my composition skills more.

On an aside, I am separating from my wife and am looking forward to gobs of time to play music.  I am planning to buy a piano lesson DVD so I can start to learn at last.  I still doubt that I will sound as good as BIAB for sometime.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1