Learning guitar!!

Author
Zakk
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 69
2006/09/26 10:00:06 (permalink)

Learning guitar!!

hello :)
i'm a guitar player for about 8 years, and in the beginning i was into john petrucci, malmsteen.. all the shredders..
but as was getting older i was more concerned about groove than speed.. so i started to listen to hendrix, page, SRV, van halen...
but my point is... i have the skills and technic.. but the most important thing is what i dont have.. THEORY!!
you can be the fastest guitar player.. but without theory your music just sucks!!
so.. im here to ask you if you think that this guitar lessons are good, the complete basic course! ( www.metalmethod.com )
and if anyone as experience with them..
and btw.. can you suggest great theory lessons??

cheers and tks
post edited by Zakk - 2006/09/26 10:51:04

Sonar HS 4
Acer 1694 - 2Ghz Centrino - 1 GB RAM
Audigy 2 ZS Pcmcia
V-Amp 2

8 Replies Related Threads

Rinkwraith
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 543
    RE: Learning guitar!! 2006/09/26 10:33:21 (permalink)
    If a video features Michael Angelo Batio then I'd avoid it like the plague. What a tit!

Anyways, I'd have thought any theory lessons will help you. As long as you have a good knowledge of where the notes are on the fretboard. Dolmetch have got loads of good info (http://www.dolmetsch.com/theoryintro.htm); and the theory courses from MusicianUniversity.com are ok (if a little basic). Erm... then there's the ABRSM's books etc. etc.

Hope some of this helps. BTW I never learnt theory when I was guitar player, I only started studying it when I took up piano. But on the occassions that I still grab my guitar I find that it definetly helps so I don't think you really need to look for guitar specific stuff.

** Gonna pitch a wang dang doodle all night long **
    ** Eighty-eight keys, ten fingers... no problem **
    gonzo_dog
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 250
    RE: Learning guitar!! 2006/09/26 13:30:07 (permalink)
    hello :)
    i'm a guitar player for about 8 years, and in the beginning i was into john petrucci, malmsteen.. all the shredders..
    but as was getting older i was more concerned about groove than speed.. so i started to listen to hendrix, page, SRV, van halen...
    but my point is... i have the skills and technic.. but the most important thing is what i dont have.. THEORY!!
    you can be the fastest guitar player.. but without theory your music just sucks!!
    so.. im here to ask you if you think that this guitar lessons are good, the complete basic course! ( www.metalmethod.com )
    and if anyone as experience with them..
    and btw.. can you suggest great theory lessons??

cheers and tks

I'm not sure about your theory about "theory", more importantly how much either page, hendrix srv, vh really had. It really depends on what type of success you are looking for, critical, comercial or just enjoyable. Satch, Vai, Johnson, Ptreucci are great guitar player and have great critical success but relatively speaking not much commercial success and I would dare to venture not much enjoyable success. Myself I like Johnson the best but these are more like "guitar players guitar players". Try to get a chick to take her top off to that, good luck...

Now your second list, Page was a great songwriter and producer but relatively speaking was sloppy, Hendrix and SRV play wilth emplathy, and VH was technic with feeling but if you listen to his solos they're out of key all the time. So much for theory.

Sunday night I saw Buckcherry and Avenged Sevenfold, along with other bands but I'd like to use these two as an example; BC's songs are pretty basic but live the band had so much energy and they performed these basic tracks so well that I like them much better that ASF, who technically is a much more skilled band.

For the most part there is never any reason to feel insecure about your skills when playing rock. Some of the biggest wankers have made it huge.
    seetimstreasures
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Learning guitar!! 2006/09/26 21:49:52 (permalink)
    Theory, there's a big word.
    1 4 5
    C, F, & G. 1, 4, 5. Why? Because (C) D E (F) (G) A B. These work. That's theory. You can 1, 4, 5 in any key to find the Major Cords. You can play the individual notes inside each of these cords in a song and they will probably fit, if you play them when the cord is played.

But which note do you choose? What do you like to hear? If you are making the sound you like, you have arrived.

Lessons? Great!

Learn another instrument? This is the most awesome thing I ever did. I played guitar for 20 years, I was okay. Then I studied percussion. WOW! A whole new world. Fantastic!

One of the other responders refernced playing guitar and then learning piano.... they are getting it.

Learn another instrument.

Memorizing the "Circle of 5ths" will not hurt you but it is a very small part of the answer.

Timothy James Maki
    d_in_conduct
    • Total Posts : 226
    RE: Learning guitar!! 2006/09/27 00:14:19 (permalink)
    A lot of great guitar players are just naturals. Others need a little guidance. Sometimes one little lick, or scale, or other idea can send you off in an all new direction.

Go to http://www.truefire.com and join up there. The have all sorts of short, downloadable lessons that can teach you all kinds of theory using MP3 files, PDFs, and (I think) PowerTab. Lessons are cheap and many times free and cover many different genres of music. It's a great site.

------------------------------------------------
    All your base are belong to us...
    Rinkwraith
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 543
    RE: Learning guitar!! 2006/09/27 04:33:36 (permalink)

One of the other responders refernced playing guitar and then learning piano.... they are getting it.
    Learn another instrument.

Yes... but I'm also a firm advocate of music theory.

Whilst a large percentage of excellent musicians do without it, its also a very useful thing to have knowledge of. And if someone is interested in studying it, they should never be discouraged from doing so by others.

A small part of the answer... absolutely. But this particular answer only has small parts - you grab as many of them as you can. And that also definetly includes learning multiple instruments, as you said.

** Gonna pitch a wang dang doodle all night long **
    ** Eighty-eight keys, ten fingers... no problem **
    johndale
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3228
    RE: Learning guitar!! 2006/09/27 04:41:39 (permalink)
    Get a basic music theory book, from the library even. And start at square one. You need and want a good foundation, it will make the rest easier. Then you will know what you need to learn and want to learn. Or better yet, find a straight up music teacher, that knows guitar. And just study and practice, because no matter how fast you are your not hittin' on all 8 till your hittin' notes that make sense and have a heart. And to the person that questioned SRVs, Jimis and EVHs musicial knowledge. They know/knew far more about harmony and syncapation than you would imagine and how to correctly explain it. Trust me on that..........
    gonzo_dog
    • Total Posts : 250
    RE: Learning guitar!! 2006/09/27 12:16:17 (permalink)
    And to the person that questioned SRVs, Jimis and EVHs musicial knowledge. They know/knew far more about harmony and syncapation than you would imagine and how to correctly explain it. Trust me on that..........

I don't doubt that at all and all 3 are awesome musicians. What I was trying to get accross was that I doubt that at anytime during the songwriting process either of them questioned how theory applied to their songs; they just played what sounded good to there ears, in key or not.
    mewsicknerd
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 435
    RE: Learning guitar!! 2006/09/29 20:14:47 (permalink)
    You did not say that those music greats were not necessarily thinking of theory during the songwriting process. What you did say was that you doubted how much [understanding of] theory that they had.

These guys are heroes to many of us, no need to put them down to make your point. A user of a human language for expression need not know, and most probably don't, arbitrary theories used to describe the work, or tools which could be used to aid in it.

The original poster deserves respect for realizing now that he should get those boring lessons down that most shredder wanna bes skip over.

And my recommendation for the original poster is to buy band in a box, and then to check out the bulletin board over there.

ORIGINAL: gonzo_dog

And to the person that questioned SRVs, Jimis and EVHs musicial knowledge. They know/knew far more about harmony and syncapation than you would imagine and how to correctly explain it. Trust me on that..........

I don't doubt that at all and all 3 are awesome musicians. What I was trying to get accross was that I doubt that at anytime during the songwriting process either of them questioned how theory applied to their songs; they just played what sounded good to there ears, in key or not.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1