Let's talk Highs and Lows ?

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
ba_midi
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14061
2010/09/12 23:46:42 (permalink)

Let's talk Highs and Lows ?

I hope to get some good thoughts on this from all the great minds around here ...

We all know that the very low end of a mix has to be dealt with very carefully.  Compression and Limiting are affected intensely by too much low end.

Too much high end is another area that, for some reason, doesn't seem to be discussed as much.  Maybe because it's the more obvious - in the sense many don't mind more bass but too much high end hurts the ears.

So my question at the moment is:   What areas (frequencies) do you spend the most time on taming?

For me, it almost seems easier to get the low end.  You can roll stuff off quite a bit before a music piece starts to lose it's "umph", so to speak.    But when it comes to high end, it's a bit more difficult (for me) to "decide" what is too much/too little.

Whenever I listen to tracks done by some greats that I love/enjoy, they seem to have almost a perfect sense of what is too much/too little.   I know that takes experience, trial and error, etc;  but what are some of the guidelines you go by?

I also realize this is a loaded question because every track has a different degree of harmonic content.  But I guess I'm thinking more generically here.   Many tracks I like are full and clear but not brittle.   Some are even a bit dull at times (dull in the "high end" sense, not related to "interesting vs dull").

We've had some incredibly useful threads/topics on this forum, and I would love to hear what some of you have to say or think with respect to this area, specifically as it pertains to getting a solid 'mix'.

Thanks for any input you wish to give.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)

72 Replies Related Threads

gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    Re:Let's talk Highs and Lows ? 2010/09/13 00:21:32 (permalink)
    I can't really give you "numbers", because I don't pay attention to them. When I am working on the eq, I use an eq that is divided into twenty frequencies, and I work by ear. All I can say to the high end is that I like a lot of sizzle in the cymbals, and I have always liked a lot of high end in the electric guitar leads. So I try to get the highs evident, but at the same time I want to cut the volume at the higher end because, as you said, it hurts the ears. I work each instrument individually, and then the entire mix gets worked on as a whole. I'm interested how others who do the mixing thing by the numbers will respond to this.

For myself, the top three or four bands are cut just a little, maybe a slow curve down to the highest band in the final stage, but I probably keep more high end in my mixes than most would say is practical. The high end is usually the first part I work on, then work my way back into the mids and lastly the lows, which is also probably opposite what most will recommend.

So, not much help, I'll be checking for the response form others in the next few days.

Later
    Albert 

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    JSGlen
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 856
    Re:Let's talk Highs and Lows ? 2010/09/13 00:36:13 (permalink)
    I also cannot provide numbers as I just make my adjustments until I get what I'm after and move-on. I mostly mix Country and Rock. I usually start building my mix around featured vocal, so I will EQ the mids, then low-mids, then move down to the lows. I usually do not spend much time on the low-end if I am careful about picking the right kick drum and Bass sounds. Doing so makes it much easier to keep them from overlapping each other. For me, getting the Mids correct has always been the most problematic. It just depends on the song and instrumentation involved. I've never cared much for music with a brash top-end, so I usually EQ a bit off the top. Especially so if my target media is MP3.

ADK Quad Pro, Intel Core i7 3770 IVB 3.5 Ghz, Windows 7 64
    Seagate 500G Sata 600 OS Drive, Seagate 1 TB Sata 600 Audio Drive, 16 gigs of ram, 700 watt Coolermaster Silent Pro power supply.  Apollo Quad Interface, Dangerous D-Box, Burl B2 ADC, UAD 2 Duo, Avalon 737, UA LA 610 MK II, UA 1176 LN Hardware, Focal CMS 65 monitors, Avid Artist Control. 

Sonar X3d

Pro Tools 11 & 10

Wavelab 8

ba_midi
    Re:Let's talk Highs and Lows ? 2010/09/13 00:38:00 (permalink)
    gamblerschoice

I can't really give you "numbers", because I don't pay attention to them. When I am working on the eq, I use an eq that is divided into twenty frequencies, and I work by ear. All I can say to the high end is that I like a lot of sizzle in the cymbals, and I have always liked a lot of high end in the electric guitar leads. So I try to get the highs evident, but at the same time I want to cut the volume at the higher end because, as you said, it hurts the ears. I work each instrument individually, and then the entire mix gets worked on as a whole. I'm interested how others who do the mixing thing by the numbers will respond to this.

For myself, the top three or four bands are cut just a little, maybe a slow curve down to the highest band in the final stage, but I probably keep more high end in my mixes than most would say is practical. The high end is usually the first part I work on, then work my way back into the mids and lastly the lows, which is also probably opposite what most will recommend.

So, not much help, I'll be checking for the response form others in the next few days.

Later
    Albert 

HI Albert,

Well I appreciate your input.   I know it's a hard topic to pin down ... there are so many variables.  But I'm thinking more in terms of the 'overall mix' sound.   You know, some mixes just sound full and clear yet not brittle, as I mentioned.   

I know this means approaching each element in the tracks, of course -- but there does seem to be a certain quality that I personally am finding a little elusive at times.   Especially since I work with 99% MIDI stuff (synths, etc) and almost no real acoustic instruments.  That changes the rules a bit, so to speak.

However, and as example ...  hi hats in techno music play an important role (what doesn't lol), and there does seem to be a tendency to keep their 'top end' mostly in and below the 7k-ish range.   You make a good point that going by the numbers is not going to work all the time, but in general 'range' terms, this is the kind of thing that I think merits some discussion.

While 6 or 7K is certainly not the top of the frequency range, it definitely takes on importance (for many reasons, acoustics and fletcher-munson, etc).   But with respect to the final mix (and/or mastered version of a track), there does seem to be some ranges that many of the pros I like 'tame' or 'treat'.

You like sizzle, for instance.  Yet on a final mix (and depending on style of course) does that sizzle 'sizzle' your speakers? ;)

I guess I'm just looking for some general feedback on the taming or management of the 'high-end'.  Sometimes I feel I get it right (for my taste) and sometimes it eludes me, as I've mentioned ;)

post edited by ba_midi - 2010/09/13 00:40:25

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

feedback50
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 564
    Re:Let's talk Highs and Lows ? 2010/09/13 00:46:43 (permalink)
    I agree that the top end is just as difficult as the low end. Too much distortion on guitars, open hi hat/cymbals, cheap mic's that hype the high end too much, and bad eq plugs, all on too many tracks add up to a headache waiting to happen. I've had some luck eq'ing individual tracks to prevent this and leave room for ambience and the top end of incidental percussion, but I'm still learning. It also took a while to find some eq plugs that I can actually push to get more high end where I need it. Lots of eq plugs can make cuts nicely, but only a handfull can be used to push the high end without adding to your problems. On the bottom end I like to use a multiband comp on kick and carve out a notch in the rest of the tracks for the bass to live.

post edited by feedback50 - 2010/09/13 00:47:45
    ba_midi
    Re:Let's talk Highs and Lows ? 2010/09/13 00:52:18 (permalink)
    feedback50

I agree that the top end is just as difficult as the low end. Too much distortion on guitars, open hi hat/cymbals, cheap mic's that hype the high end too much, and bad eq plugs, all on too many tracks add up to a headache waiting to happen. I've had some luck eq'ing individual tracks to prevent this and leave room for ambience and the top end of incidental percussion, but I'm still learning. It also took a while to find some eq plugs that I can actuall push to get more high end where I need it. Lots of eq plugs can make cuts nicely, but only a handfull can be used to push the high end without adding to your problems. On the bottom end I like to use a multiband comp on kick and carve out a notch in the rest of the tracks for the bass to live.
    There are 2 plugins I highly recommend that seem to have something special about them (for me and many others):
    FabFilter Pro-Q ... I love this baby.  I won't list all its features, you can discover that I'm sure.
    And Voxengo's Gliss EQ -- also just has some specialness about it.

FFPro-Q is top of my list.   But another one that seems not to be well known but I find very good is IIEQPro. 

FFPro-Q has both true stereo and/or Mid-Side functionality (as does Gliss).  IIEQPro has true stereo but I don't think it has M/S yet.

Like you, I also like multibands.  Sonalksis makes a cool m/b compressor but they also have a very cool m/b dynamic eq plugin that can come in real handy at times.   All multibands are tricky though (for me).  So I take my sweet time when using them;  yet I always use one on my drum submix bus, even if only in miniscule amounts.

BTW, I'm starting to experiment with the true stereo approach to eq.  Saw some interesting videos on it, and it opens up a lot of possibilities.

post edited by ba_midi - 2010/09/13 00:55:04

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:Let's talk Highs and Lows ? 2010/09/13 01:08:06 (permalink)
    I miss mastering multi tracks though my Yamaha O1v mixer. I totaly knew what would happen with the EQ and used the hi and lo pass cut offs etc to get what I needed. Even though I've duplicated the same frequencies using Steinbergs Q or Sonitus EQ it doesn't come out the same. I guess every EQ unit is a little different.  Hi end is a hard one and you do need good monitors to catch it. To much bass is easy to hear even on cheap speakers, but hi end needs good equipment it just won't be there in cheap speakers.
    I'm like Jay, I try and record my tracks ready to mix. Much better to deal with bad stuff on the track level. I do a lot of listening with the solo on and often tool a track into Wave lab to clean it up.  Each track has to stand on its own.
    I use a lot of hi pass at 100-160hz- to get rid of low end garbage from most everything. I use some lo pass too but its way up there around 10,000 hz.   A little bump at 2,400hz for sizzle on drums and around 1,400 for vox.  I'm still new to using Sonar and would much rather use my old hardware stuff but I'm determined to master this puppy, I think it can make it work. If not I still have the Yamaha stuff.
    Keep it in a cool dark place!
    post edited by johnnyV - 2010/09/13 01:09:29

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

ba_midi
    Re:Let's talk Highs and Lows ? 2010/09/13 01:40:18 (permalink)
    I find it interesting that you say hearing lows are easy on cheap speakers and hearing highs are not.  I find it to be the exact opposite lol.  Cheapo speakers tend to have no low end whereas they do tend to have an abundance of upper mids and highs.   So it's interesting you see it the other way around ;)

But, I try not to use specific frequencies as example; I prefer ranges because there's no "one" frequency that can work on every track the same way.  SO when you say 2.4K on drums, that either means you use the same drums setup all the time or that's a frequency your ears like.

But I'm thinking along the lines of much more generic concepts, which is why I talked about the 6 to 7K 'range'.  And that is only for example.   Some hi hats and cymbals on drum machines often have resonance and peaks in the 8, 9 and 10K range as well.

I just hear some great records that seem to nail it with respect to overall tonal balance.  I know it's an art and skill unto itself, but that's why I thought a discussion in the broad sense may be useful not just to me, but to everyone who participates.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Let's talk Highs and Lows ? 2010/09/13 02:15:03 (permalink)
    There was a very interesting article in Australia's Audio Technology Magazine about high end especially. It is easy to make things too bright and toppy and you end up with a mix that is the same. The thing with highs is that if everything is bright then nothing is bright. It is nice to keep things bright but you really need to look at tracks individually and guage whether they need the real tops on there or not. When you tame the highs down the ear opens up and you start to really hear the top end that is present. If things are too bright our ears tend to shut down a bit to compensate and then we are pushing more highs up to hear them then then the situation gets worse.

Many tracks don't need the top end, only a few do and that is the trick too. Better to just have one or two things that are toppy and the rest warm etc. They will stand out like bright stars in a dark sky.

Check out David Gilmour's 'On an Island' for top end amazement. It is just so warm and not toppy at all anywhere yet the highs are still there in a very subtle sort of way.

Keep your monitoring levels at 85 db spl as well and that makes a difference too. You are not bombarding yourself with top end. But I find a great thing to do with any individual track is to take a lot of the highs off and almost make them dull. Listen for a while and you find they don't sound so dull anymore. If you feel a track is still dull then just add small amounts of top end to bring back to taste. Sometimes tracks have to have -6 or -8 db of top end shelving to get them back to normal.

Mastering is important too and another reason to wait a week to master and do it in the morning fresh. You will really hear the top end that is really there. Dont be tempted to make your final masters so toppy. Start with the highs almost being too low and bring them up rather than the other way around. The ear actually prefers as many great mastering engineers have stated a slow falling top end from about 8 Khz (or less)  at a slowish slope.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Butch
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 175
    Re:Let's talk Highs and Lows ? 2010/09/13 07:06:28 (permalink)
    I have more trouble with the low end.  Getting it in the proper balance with the rest of the mix across a variety of speakers/headphones seems quite difficult.  I have found it better to error on the side of caution...a little too little bass is better than a little too much.  When you listen to classic rock of the 70s, you won't hear that big, huge, rumbling bottom end...and you don't miss it either.

On the high end, I find that I usually mix a little dull.  Probably because my monitors have much better high end response than consumer grade listening devices.  I almost always need a little top end boost in my mastering phase.

My M.O. for helping with these issues is to try and record tracks that sound as close to listening to the subject instrument live in the room.  If I can record individual tracks that sound like the instrument itself does while I'm playing it, I'm a long way towards my goal of a realistic mix.

Butch
    Let's make some art!
    MasterInTheMix
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13
    Re:Let's talk Highs and Lows ? 2010/09/13 07:17:05 (permalink)
    The simplest way to get the highs right is to keep them relative to each other in the mix. for example, vocal sibilance loudest, cymbals under that, next, vocal air / lead instrument articulations (where approp) / bgv sibilance, etc.

Then apply a temporary stand-in for what will be your mastering compressor and do an A/B Mash until you have high end chaos. When you turn the other song off, your mix will be very close to the standard, and will not cause the listener to reach for the EQ.

Gotta run!... I hope to clarify the above and also mention lows later.
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:Let's talk Highs and Lows ? 2010/09/13 07:43:08 (permalink)
    I am not sure what is being asked here though it is a very good topic.

My thoughts are a little different as if you would expect anything else.

I think we need to make some starting points in what we are talking about.
    If its a MIDI driven song i.e using synths and samples then I don't think there is much to do in shaping the high or low end if you have the basic sounds that are what you are after. Also it seems a strong part of doing this kind of thing with the idea that a sample will be modified if needed to fit the song and really we have total control here. So it should never be a problem.

Where the problems come into it are when we record live audio. What we really record are rooms. These can be dog awful for recording but many of us are recording where ever we are asked to. This means if the room is bright or dull we will need to compensate.

The word brittle was used to describe harshness in the upper end. That means that the room is way too bright. If one has the ability to dull out the room with blankets or acoustic materiel so that a lot of those pesky reflected high frequencies are reduced  we will have a better balleanced room and thus a better recording to begin with.

One thing though is the ability to remove is a bit better the the ability to add. If it ain't in the recording then its very hard to put it there.

I don't think one wants to remove any sound that is really coming from an instrument.

Best
    John
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Let's talk Highs and Lows ? 2010/09/13 08:52:40 (permalink)
    I'm in the "do it by listening" camp as well.  I have certain presets that I start with and work towards the goal from there.

I agree with John in the post above that midi is almost always good straight out of the box. Audio often requires some work. However, that doesn't stop me from using something like Ozone on the finished/mixed midi song, since it does bring out the sparkle and shine.

I generally boost the high and low end by a few db and pull the mids down, as a starting point. This does depend on the song.

Using compression (multiband-compression) and EQ together, allows me to fine tune the bands as my ear dictates. The goal is a tight but full sounding low end...clear, clean mids with no honk in them, and sizzling highs with no harshness or sibilance.

The listener should be able to hear clearly, all the instrumentation and the singer's words without difficulty. My favorite mixing includes country and jazz.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Let's talk Highs and Lows ? 2010/09/13 08:56:26 (permalink)
    I agree that hearing highs on cheap speakers is not as simple as it seems.

A great tweeter or midrange driver will have beautiful sounding highs... while a cheapo may just have lots of highs.

With bass, I find the challenge is to make sure both the 3% folks who bought a nice system that actually goes down to 20Hz get what they want while folks who's bass playback only goes down to 70Hz (for all practical purposes) get some bass too. I find it difficult to get a low E to sound great on bad stereo.

With regards to content... I find that the content leads you as mixer to decide what works.

For example last week I was recording my guitar amp and trying to make it scream up in the mids and highs. When I presented the recording several thoughtful and tasteful people said... "wow that's screaming in the mids and highs"... they thought it was too much... so I knew it was just right.

gotta go,
    mike

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Let's talk Highs and Lows ? 2010/09/13 08:57:55 (permalink)
    John's  post makes me think about frequency ranges and there are a few areas one can call highs or tops or bright even. In my post above I am thinking about very high frequencies like 8 Khz and up.  All the top end sizzle and how one can control it at track level as well as mix level and at mastering level as well. Three places you can control very high end. But reading John's post makes me think about that very important range of say 5 khz to  8 Khz. How much do you want very high frequencies to bounce around in the reverbs as well. Think about the eq of the signal going into and out of reverbs. Things can be smoothed here a lot.

Synth sounds can be controlled but sometimes they are great but way too bright for the part you have in mind. ( The Yamaha A5000 is seriously bright!, DX 7 etc) So some high frequency shelving might be the go to bring it back to reality. And recording audio can create all sorts of unnecesary high frequency boost. Hats too close with a very bright mike and the drummer is playing Paste sound edge hats with nylon tipped sticks. (cheaper mike pres tend to boost highs too) Happens, and those hats will be seriously bright. This can happen with any source. (As a drummer playing the hats live they just sound smooth and well balanced, beautiful) Good mike to source matching is required here to control high frequencies. eg duller mikes with bright sources etc.. John's advice about controlling room reflections is excellent too. So much can be done right there.

I have been fortunate lately to be able to sit up close and walk around an orchestra and also a jazz big band. I am interested in how bright things really sound and it is not as bright as one would think. Only a few things really tinkle the very high end. The ride cymbal in the big band. (very high trumpets) The triangle in the orchestra. Tubular bells, cymbal crashes, snare etc.. The rest is just loud and big and fat and it sounds a bit lower down to me. There is plenty of action in that 3 Khz to 6 Khz area though. The room reflections were not influencing things too much either.

I think one of the reasons we like analog so much is that it tends to always drop the high end. (I am talking whole chain here from source to vinyl) It is inferior in this regard. Digital simply does not, it records the high end and plays it back the same. But we can smooth it out too and roll things off gently. One of the reasons why many mixes can sound cluttered is becuase there is way too much top end stuff going on. When you tame all the tracks down and the reverbs too, you are just left with beautiful clarity. Try taming the top end of things down in your busy or cluttered mix at track level and even without altering your mix in any way it will sound better.  Leave the top end for the vocal detail and you will have a clear vocal as well. Something we have been talking about in another thread, keeping vocals clear in a busy mix. Controlling high end (in all the other parts) is another way to do it.

I also prefer to brighten a slightly dull mix at the mastering level rather than trying to dull a bright mix. Putting that nice sheen and air over everything sounds better to me than trying to damp down a whole lot of over bright material. Because all the overbright material is full of unnecessary very high frequencies and all that is interacting with each other as well. But in a mix that is a leaning toward dull, it is not there at all and is much clearer as a result and hence it brightens up very well indeed. They are not the same thing.

post edited by Jeff Evans - 2010/09/13 09:44:32

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    John
    Forum Host
    Re:Let's talk Highs and Lows ? 2010/09/13 11:08:42 (permalink)
    I was so much easier when we had one carbon mic and cut it directly on wax.

Jeff nice post.

Mike wrote;
    A great tweeter or midrange driver will have beautiful sounding highs... while a cheapo may just have lots of highs.
    I know exactly what you mean. But its not just cheapo tweeters either. One can pay a lot for awful sounding speakers. Bose come to mind right off the bat.

What I look for in the high end is a transparent sound. Where I hear frequencies as separate and distinct sounds. Clear is another word.

One's monitors need to be able to have that ability to be clear in order to know that is what you are really getting. Smearing the highs can lead to that nasty brittle quality. I like what Jeff was saying about reverb. It can cause an awful lot of trouble. 

Guitarhacker wrote;
    Audio often requires some work. However, that doesn't stop me from using something like Ozone on the finished/mixed midi song, since it does bring out the sparkle and shine.
    I have a tendency to use Ozone on everything. LOL

At first I didn't use the EQ in it now I do all the time.  I believe this is getting back to what Mike is talking about.

What I do all the time is listen to high quality recordings and then keep that sound in my mind to mix and master to achieve it.

Best
    John
    ba_midi
    Re:Let's talk Highs and Lows ? 2010/09/13 11:40:44 (permalink)
    Jeff,

Many good points, as usual :)

The thing about waiting a week to master -- it's not always possible.  I just did some TV cues and, as is often the case in tv/commercials/etc, they need it yesterday lol.   So that usually means:  compose (sometimes as recording), record, mix, go.

Almost every mixing book, every engineer, every reference material on mixing mentions "rolling off the low end on every track" (the junk that isn't necessary such as rumble, etc).   This even applies to synth based tracks as well.
    But your comments made me think about doing the same to the high end.   Sometimes there's a lot of extraneous and unnecessary frequencies "upstairs" too.   Yet, I rarely roll out highs on every track.

I do EQ those tracks I think are brittle or sibilant, or taking up too much energy -- but it might be interesting to do to the high end (where appropriate) as we would normally do to the low end junk.

What's kind of funny is that as a kid, I used to tell friends as we rode in a car listening to the radio that if they wanted to hear more bass they should turn up the treble - so that there's contrast.   And, as you point out, if everything is bright, then nothing has clarity.  If everything is bassy, then nothing has clarity.   Contrast is what matters there.

Your comment about the 8k-ish range is more what I was hoping to hear or discuss here.  Not absolutes, of course, but general taming tricks or techniques.

I always feel the 8-9k range is the "real" target since it's in that range that the most energy will cut through on both small and big speakers, with regard to the highs.   Upper highs (above 8k, for the sake of this discussion) are not as meaty on most speakers and therefor may not have as direct an affect on the overall mix.

I appreciate your input, Jeff -- and some good points to chew on :)

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

ba_midi
    Re:Let's talk Highs and Lows ? 2010/09/13 11:50:13 (permalink)
    Butch

I have more trouble with the low end.  Getting it in the proper balance with the rest of the mix across a variety of speakers/headphones seems quite difficult.  I have found it better to error on the side of caution...a little too little bass is better than a little too much.  When you listen to classic rock of the 70s, you won't hear that big, huge, rumbling bottom end...and you don't miss it either.

On the high end, I find that I usually mix a little dull.  Probably because my monitors have much better high end response than consumer grade listening devices.  I almost always need a little top end boost in my mastering phase.

My M.O. for helping with these issues is to try and record tracks that sound as close to listening to the subject instrument live in the room.  If I can record individual tracks that sound like the instrument itself does while I'm playing it, I'm a long way towards my goal of a realistic mix.
    Thanks for your input Butch.

I think there really are critical differences when it comes to working with/mixing synth based projects (ie, plugins as opposed to hardware synths, though the problems to be managed may be similar).   Acoustics play a very different role in what will be on a track and how it needs to be managed.   Synth/Sample based stuff has many of the same issues to work with, but also have a whole other set of issues as well.

A synth-based Sawtooth bass certainly is different than a live Fender bass, for example.  Same is true for synth lead sounds that can cut through like a knife, as compared to electric distortion guitars (though both will present issues as well).

One thing about bass, for me ... other than, say, Jazz recordings in a good room -- compression / limiting is critical otherwise.  I think most of us know and understand carving out frequency areas for things to 'fit' and not 'fight' -- but compression plays such an important role in this area.

But for high end stuff, while compression is affected (therefor affects this area) differently, it's not quite the same as how bass freqs interact with compression.   Tricky stuff of course.

But again - I think it's kind of easier to roll off bottom and to know when it's too much or too little.  I struggle with the high end more (these days) because, for some reason (maybe ear fatigue, etc) when I think I have enough high end - I listen the next day and think there was too much.   That probably is a bit due to not taking enough ear breaks, but I also would like get to the point where I just kind of "know" - and some of these conversations may help in that regard.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

ba_midi
    Re:Let's talk Highs and Lows ? 2010/09/13 11:51:43 (permalink)
    MasterInTheMix

The simplest way to get the highs right is to keep them relative to each other in the mix. for example, vocal sibilance loudest, cymbals under that, next, vocal air / lead instrument articulations (where approp) / bgv sibilance, etc.

Then apply a temporary stand-in for what will be your mastering compressor and do an A/B Mash until you have high end chaos. When you turn the other song off, your mix will be very close to the standard, and will not cause the listener to reach for the EQ.

Gotta run!... I hope to clarify the above and also mention lows later.

I agree A/B'ing is one way (and a darn good one) to approach this.

But it would also be nice to develop the ears to the point of 'recognizing' when highs are too high, so to speak.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

ba_midi
    Re:Let's talk Highs and Lows ? 2010/09/13 12:01:27 (permalink)
    John

I am not sure what is being asked here though it is a very good topic.

My thoughts are a little different as if you would expect anything else.

I think we need to make some starting points in what we are talking about.
    If its a MIDI driven song i.e using synths and samples then I don't think there is much to do in shaping the high or low end if you have the basic sounds that are what you are after. Also it seems a strong part of doing this kind of thing with the idea that a sample will be modified if needed to fit the song and really we have total control here. So it should never be a problem.

Where the problems come into it are when we record live audio. What we really record are rooms. These can be dog awful for recording but many of us are recording where ever we are asked to. This means if the room is bright or dull we will need to compensate.

The word brittle was used to describe harshness in the upper end. That means that the room is way too bright. If one has the ability to dull out the room with blankets or acoustic materiel so that a lot of those pesky reflected high frequencies are reduced  we will have a better balleanced room and thus a better recording to begin with.

One thing though is the ability to remove is a bit better the the ability to add. If it ain't in the recording then its very hard to put it there.

I don't think one wants to remove any sound that is really coming from an instrument.
    John,

My hope was to discuss what one might call the "frequency tonality" of a mix.  Not the individual instruments within a mix (ie., "take off some 2K on the guitar, etc).   Every mix has a personality, which I think you and most understand.

A good example to convey this is to point to old recordings.  The scratch, dull, lo-fi quality became its personality (frequency tonality).   Heavy Metal records tend to have a certain personality too.  Hip Hop, etc.

Within each of those categories are, obviously, any variations.  But I hope by using the term "personality" and/or "frequency tonality" that I can convey what I'm focusing on.

BTW, I strongly disagree about the MIDI stuff needing less attention.  Just because someone picks a kick sample they like doesn't mean it won't need treatment in the mix.  That's just one example.   Sometimes I think MIDI/Sample based tracks need as much if not more attention than acoustically recorded material.

If we all agree and have a consensus that each track in a project needs to be treated accordingly - and I think we all would agree on that -- it's more the "final" and "resulting" personality that I'm trying to address and get better with.  Hence, this thread ;)

So again .. how would you, in this case, approach -- in general -- managing the high end of mixes.  That's the conceptualizing I'm hoping to garner here.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:Let's talk Highs and Lows ? 2010/09/13 12:12:45 (permalink)
    Jeff Evans

There was a very interesting article in Australia's Audio Technology Magazine about high end especially. It is easy to make things too bright and toppy and you end up with a mix that is the same. The thing with highs is that if everything is bright then nothing is bright. It is nice to keep things bright but you really need to look at tracks individually and guage whether they need the real tops on there or not. When you tame the highs down the ear opens up and you start to really hear the top end that is present. If things are too bright our ears tend to shut down a bit to compensate and then we are pushing more highs up to hear them then then the situation gets worse.

Many tracks don't need the top end, only a few do and that is the trick too. Better to just have one or two things that are toppy and the rest warm etc. They will stand out like bright stars in a dark sky.

Check out David Gilmour's 'On an Island' for top end amazement. It is just so warm and not toppy at all anywhere yet the highs are still there in a very subtle sort of way.

Keep your monitoring levels at 85 db spl as well and that makes a difference too. You are not bombarding yourself with top end. But I find a great thing to do with any individual track is to take a lot of the highs off and almost make them dull. Listen for a while and you find they don't sound so dull anymore. If you feel a track is still dull then just add small amounts of top end to bring back to taste. Sometimes tracks have to have -6 or -8 db of top end shelving to get them back to normal.

Mastering is important too and another reason to wait a week to master and do it in the morning fresh. You will really hear the top end that is really there. Dont be tempted to make your final masters so toppy. Start with the highs almost being too low and bring them up rather than the other way around. The ear actually prefers as many great mastering engineers have stated a slow falling top end from about 8 Khz (or less)  at a slowish slope.

Great thread.   Although I'm not a great mind i am a grate mind so.......Yes, that top end is like glitter, it easily seduces but is not really satisfying over long periods ( annoying hit hats for 3 minutes or an earitating sibilance in vocals)  BUT, a nice sparse glockenspeil or vocal or plucking of acoustic strings that comes and goes and leaves a beautiful impression as it gives room for it's relative charm to become apparent in the contrasting equalisation.

Listening to David Gilmour's LP was nice....i noticed how out front the vocals were on all the tracks (with vocals) and it wasn't obvious (to me), but seamlessly perfect.
    post edited by No How - 2010/09/13 13:17:30

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    John
    Forum Host
    Re:Let's talk Highs and Lows ? 2010/09/13 12:25:33 (permalink)

BTW, I strongly disagree about the MIDI stuff needing less attention. Just because someone picks a kick sample they like doesn't mean it won't need treatment in the mix. That's just one example. Sometimes I think MIDI/Sample based tracks need as much if not more attention than acoustically recorded material.
    This is where you and I will be in disagreement. I know what you are saying but as I said when we record an audio track from a room its the room that is mostly the cause of problems. The mic and micing technique that will often be a source of trouble. With a synth /drum sampler the room is not involved. That is as long as the sampler was taking care in creating the sample. Or the synth is producing a sound one likes.

You're right about having to process the lows and anything else for that matter with MIDI based music. Yet certain considerations would be lees a problem with that then the wild world of mic and room recording. After all its the quality of the sample we are paying for that is suppose to give us a head start in how it will sound in a mix. 

Like I said I use Ozone on nearly everything. That would include MIDI based music.

Best
    John
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Let's talk Highs and Lows ? 2010/09/13 12:38:18 (permalink)
    We spend a disproportionate amount of time on extreme lows because it's the hardest. It's the hardest because it's where the most variance occurs between playback systems. Even cheap stereos manage high frequencies OK, so it's less of a hassle.

Where I end up spending the most time, though, and take the greatest care, is in the upper midrange from 1Khz to 5KHz. That, to me, is the most critical range. It's where intelligibility lives, as well as harshness. It's where the character of individual instruments resides, where most of your perception of stereo originates. It's a region of precious real estate, where instruments have to take turns occupying it to avoid a confusing jumble.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    ba_midi
    Re:Let's talk Highs and Lows ? 2010/09/13 12:57:55 (permalink)
    John

BTW, I strongly disagree about the MIDI stuff needing less attention. Just because someone picks a kick sample they like doesn't mean it won't need treatment in the mix. That's just one example. Sometimes I think MIDI/Sample based tracks need as much if not more attention than acoustically recorded material.
    This is where you and I will be in disagreement. I know what you are saying but as I said when we record an audio track from a room its the room that is mostly the cause of problems. The mic and micing technique that will often be a source of trouble. With a synth /drum sampler the room is not involved. That is as long as the sampler was taking care in creating the sample. Or the synth is producing a sound one likes.

You're right about having to process the lows and anything else for that matter with MIDI based music. Yet certain considerations would be lees a problem with that then the wild world of mic and room recording. After all its the quality of the sample we are paying for that is suppose to give us a head start in how it will sound in a mix. 

Like I said I use Ozone on nearly everything. That would include MIDI based music.

Well, we actually agree on most of this, John :)   I totally agree that recording things in a "room" will present its own share of management/taming techniques, of course.

And, obviously we agree that handling MIDI based recordings (plugins as opposed to hardware synths to some extent) need attention as well.

My only disagreement was the concept that MIDI based signals don't need attention much.  In that I do disagree in an agreeing manner :)

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

ba_midi
    Re:Let's talk Highs and Lows ? 2010/09/13 13:08:16 (permalink)
    bitflipper

We spend a disproportionate amount of time on extreme lows because it's the hardest. It's the hardest because it's where the most variance occurs between playback systems. Even cheap stereos manage high frequencies OK, so it's less of a hassle.

Where I end up spending the most time, though, and take the greatest care, is in the upper midrange from 1Khz to 5KHz. That, to me, is the most critical range. It's where intelligibility lives, as well as harshness. It's where the character of individual instruments resides, where most of your perception of stereo originates. It's a region of precious real estate, where instruments have to take turns occupying it to avoid a confusing jumble.
    I agree overall.  Funny thing is, I tend not to have to worry too much about that range since I'm not doing vocals (wish I was) and synths, in general, cut through nicely in that range.

This is another reason I'm exploring "true stereo" EQs lately -- as it allows for some interesting "management" of the "overall" mix, as well as on individual tracks where applicable.

When we EQ the Master Bus - as example, taking out certain frequencies can truly shape the entire mix.  It is a very different 'result' than just EQ'ing individual tracks.   For obvious reasons, the "composite" signal, when treated with EQ or other processing, has a different affect and tends to give the final mix its own quality.

Now it's sure that adjusting any frequency in a 'mixed' signal will affect its quality - but certain frequencies just seem to either overpower or dramatically change the "personality".   Your point about the 1-5K range is an example.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Let's talk Highs and Lows ? 2010/09/13 13:41:44 (permalink)
    BTW, I have to amplify Billy's endorsement of the FabFilter Pro-Q. I don't know what it is about that EQ, but I am able to consistently dial in sounds much more quickly with it than any other equalizer.

I used the plugin this weekend to remix an old project that had previously given me headaches. There had been some nasty resonances on vocals due to poor mic placement in a bad room. The problems were multiplied by many overdubs, doubled parts and harmonies. 14 vocal tracks altogether, each one with slightly different issues, and sometimes even different problems between clips on the same track.

I ended up using 17 instances of FFPQ. The CPU hit was surprisingly low, and even more surprisingly, I fixed up those tracks in less than an hour where previously I'd spent days trying to dial in the right fixes.

I would have never thought I'd ever endorse an equalizer, being of the opinion that any well-designed EQ is as good as any other. But I am sure a fan of this one, and thanks to Billy for turning me on to it.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    MasterInTheMix
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13
    Re:Let's talk Highs and Lows ? 2010/09/13 13:46:20 (permalink)
    There's not any way to get around that the end-user of the music is going to adjust the EQ to suit their level of HF hearing loss. With that in mind, the best place to have the highs and high mids is as close as possible to the average mix of the major songs in that genre. If you do that, you're more likely to stay on the ipod playlist or stay in one of the slots of a multi CD player, or not stand out as odd to a programming director. If you think you're going to be a purist and improve a genre by doing a more classicly correct EQ, you just won't get played. We are not in charge. The listener is in charge.

Most mastering engineers will set the overall HF exactly right. However, even with the HF level correct in mastering, that still leaves a bunch of songs that have lyrics that can't be understood, or have cymbals that are ear-punishing, or have vocal air that is ridiculously loud (equal to the level of the sibilance) or almost absent, "s"s that sound like "sh"s or like dog whistles, and other problems TMTC.

This is why the relation of the HF sounds to each other is the key.

Why should the vocal sibilance be loudest? Because if the listener can't understand the words, they'll be less involved in the song, usually a lot less. Now, that doesn't mean that they should stand out 30dB over every other HF sound. They should be brought down to within 10 or 15 dB of the vocal air with a de-esser or multiband compressor (LP-64 MB). That leaves a fairly narrow window between the sibilance and the vocal air for the cymbals.

Why should the cymbals be next? Because they're fun to hear AND they let you get away with a lot more vocal air without sounding ridiculous. It tricks the ear and makes the hot vocal air sound plausible. If you put cymbals over the sibilance, you can't hear the words. If you put them under the vocal air, you run the risk of the vocal sounding artificially bright even though it's exactly as bright as its cohorts.

Why is the vocal air next? Two reasons. 1. It's exciting rather than dull, compelling you to listen. 2. Along with the air you also get all the non sibilant articulations up to where they can be understood. M's L's and W's can actually be heard rather than guessed at by the sequence of vowels (like the "Peanuts" teacher).

If you turn on your radio and listen, I believe you'll note the same HF hierarchy over and over. This is what's being done by the engineers of the top acts, and I believe the reasons are those I've stated above.
    ba_midi
    Re:Let's talk Highs and Lows ? 2010/09/13 13:51:48 (permalink)
    bitflipper

BTW, I have to amplify Billy's endorsement of the FabFilter Pro-Q. I don't know what it is about that EQ, but I am able to consistently dial in sounds much more quickly with it than any other equalizer.

I used the plugin this weekend to remix an old project that had previously given me headaches. There had been some nasty resonances on vocals due to poor mic placement in a bad room. The problems were multiplied by many overdubs, doubled parts and harmonies. 14 vocal tracks altogether, each one with slightly different issues, and sometimes even different problems between clips on the same track.

I ended up using 17 instances of FFPQ. The CPU hit was surprisingly low, and even more surprisingly, I fixed up those tracks in less than an hour where previously I'd spent days trying to dial in the right fixes.

I would have never thought I'd ever endorse an equalizer, being of the opinion that any well-designed EQ is as good as any other. But I am sure a fan of this one, and thanks to Billy for turning me on to it.

Yep, FFPQ is a stunning plugin that is feature laden with really useful features as opposed to 'fluff'.

There's a cool tutorial video on using it for stereo EQ'ing -- and it's worth watching.

As to the personality of this EQ plugin -- and similar to that of Gliss EQ from Voxengo -- i feel it's as if they made the click/dragging of each node more sensible, in terms of 'degree'.   For example - in Sonitus, it's UI is old style and I find it much harder to get a good 'feel' using the dragging of nodes.  So I end up using the sliders instead.
    With FFPQ and GlissEQ, using the nodes just has this kind of natural feel -- and musical result. 

Those two plugins are the ones I turn to so often to work through problems.  And, they do great things when used in mixdowns and mastering.

I love Ozone (4) but I actually much prefer those two EQs over Ozones.  So often I'll bypass the Ozone EQ and just use the other processing functions when need be.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

ba_midi
    Re:Let's talk Highs and Lows ? 2010/09/13 13:55:43 (permalink)
    MasterInTheMix

There's not any way to get around that the end-user of the music is going to adjust the EQ to suit their level of HF hearing loss. With that in mind, the best place to have the highs and high mids is as close as possible to the average mix of the major songs in that genre. If you do that, you're more likely to stay on the ipod playlist or stay in one of the slots of a multi CD player, or not stand out as odd to a programming director. If you think you're going to be a purist and improve a genre by doing a more classicly correct EQ, you just won't get played. We are not in charge. The listener is in charge.

Most mastering engineers will set the overall HF exactly right. However, even with the HF level correct in mastering, that still leaves a bunch of songs that have lyrics that can't be understood, or have cymbals that are ear-punishing, or have vocal air that is ridiculously loud (equal to the level of the sibilance) or almost absent, "s"s that sound like "sh"s or like dog whistles, and other problems TMTC.

This is why the relation of the HF sounds to each other is the key.

Why should the vocal sibilance be loudest? Because if the listener can't understand the words, they'll be less involved in the song, usually a lot less. Now, that doesn't mean that they should stand out 30dB over every other HF sound. They should be brought down to within 10 or 15 dB of the vocal air with a de-esser or multiband compressor (LP-64 MB). That leaves a fairly narrow window between the sibilance and the vocal air for the cymbals.

Why should the cymbals be next? Because they're fun to hear AND they let you get away with a lot more vocal air without sounding ridiculous. It tricks the ear and makes the hot vocal air sound plausible. If you put cymbals over the sibilance, you can't hear the words. If you put them under the vocal air, you run the risk of the vocal sounding artificially bright even though it's exactly as bright as its cohorts.

Why is the vocal air next? Two reasons. 1. It's exciting rather than dull, compelling you to listen. 2. Along with the air you also get all the non sibilant articulations up to where they can be understood. M's L's and W's can actually be heard rather than guessed at by the sequence of vowels (like the "Peanuts" teacher).

If you turn on your radio and listen, I believe you'll note the same HF hierarchy over and over. This is what's being done by the engineers of the top acts, and I believe the reasons are those I've stated above.

I agree with most of that... but your comment also begs the question when you say "Most mastering engineers will set the overall HF exactly right":

What IS exactly right?  Is there such a thing?  Weird thing is - I actually think there may be.  I don't mean a precise "attentuate at such and such a frequency" statement...  but it does seem that the bulk of great records have some commonality in their handling and presenting of the overall quality as it pertains to the "highs" of the song/track/record/whatever.

It is THAT which I seek to explore mostly here.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

ba_midi
    Re:Let's talk Highs and Lows ? 2010/09/13 14:04:00 (permalink)
    Speaking of top acts ...  

There was a huge hit by Rhianna called "Rude Boy" ... it's a great record -- but, frankly it sounds distorted and thin in the 'upper' range to me.   I actually would probably never want to mix something that way.
    YET - it still had this 'thing', which is hard to explain/describe, that just worked for the record overall.

I would never use that record as an example of a 'great' recording.  But 'great recording' and 'great record' can be two very different things.

For many here, Rhianna is probably not on the top of anyone's playlist, give or take a few here.  But it is an example of what I think is a weird 'high end' mix.  I mean it sounds awful at times, yet the record still works somehow.

This is, again, the thrust of this thread for me.  What constitutes a good balance in the high end -- excluding the bad mixes and occasional hits that have weird high ends ;)

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1