Life influence?

Author
foxwolfen
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8256
2009/03/19 13:13:08 (permalink)

Life influence?

This may seem a strange question, but it arises from a comment here to me that made me think, and then, serendipitously, the answer to the question (or observation might be more accurate) was reinforced by pure happenstance.

I realized that I had probably been influenced a great deal by the paintings of Norman Rockwell. They show (for me) an ideal that I have tried to obtain in my life (with the growing realization that some if it is a state of mind and not material), and have also been a profound part of my moral outlook (his Golden Rule painting for example).

I wonder, has art or music changed or formed the way you are today, in a way that can be identified? I do not mean "I liked led zeppelin so I became a rocker", but more like "the message in this song or what profoundly affected me and changed me forever".

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum

20 Replies Related Threads

dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    RE: Life influence? 2009/03/19 13:48:51 (permalink)
    The summer after I was in 8th grade, getting ready to head to High School, my mom had to go to Los Angeles on business for 2 weeks; one week it was me and my sister and one week it was just me. While my mom was in her work stuff during the day, pretty much I was free to wander (probably not a good idea in hindsight! ). Anyway, during that trip I read the book "No One Here Gets Out Alive" about Jim Morrison. The hotel where we were staying from was pretty close to Venice Beach - not walking distance but close enough the hotel shuttle would take you there. I guess just being 13 years old, starting to discover more types of music, being in California and the Venice Beach scene (which is pretty overwhelming for a 13-year old from Missouri who hadn't traveled much), reading that book in basically the same area where it happened, really had an impact on me. At that time, I didn't know much about the Doors beyond "Break on Through" and "Light My Fire", but it lead to me discovering their music, probably lead to some of my drug experimentation and the desire to want to live the rock n roll lifestyle. I'm sure it had its fair share of positive and negative effects on me but it definitely did have an impact and around 24 years later some of the sensations from those 2 weeks are still very clear memories.

Dave

www.soundclick.com/steakbone
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    RE: Life influence? 2009/03/19 13:53:32 (permalink)
    The Beatles.
    Having children.
    The 12 Steps of Recovery.
    spacey
    • Total Posts : 8769
    RE: Life influence? 2009/03/19 15:11:35 (permalink)
    Shad I was having a tuff time trying to figure it out and then I read bapu's post and now I know......they didn't tell me there was 12 steps!
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Life influence? 2009/03/19 15:33:20 (permalink)
    That's an interesting question. I thought about it a lot today, went back through the music, art, literature, TV and films I've enjoyed through the years, and I arrived back at this book, which my sister read to me when I was about 7 yrs old.

I bought a copy later and have read it many times over the years. Written in 1960, it's a fantasy novel for children, taking in the Arthurian legend, and has some obvious parallels with Tolkien in the characters. A parochial English tale, set in Cheshire, with some ordinary people thrown into extraordinary events; I would say it stirred in me an interest in fantasy and surrealism which lead onto Sci-Fi, prog rock, and Monty Python in my teens, then into horror films, animation and illustration - shaping just about every facet of my character, from bizarre flights of fancy and nonsensical humour, to brooding English melancholy, and in the end, the way I play my guitar.

Phew....that was deep...anyone fancy a pint?
    post edited by jamesg1213 - 2009/03/19 15:46:58

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: Life influence? 2009/03/19 16:36:09 (permalink)
    For met it was reading The Once and Future King by T.H. White, when I was 8 yrs old or so. That really gave me a first glimpse of how 'big' the world can be. Little gem of a read, that. I was a very fortunate young man.

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    Garry Stubbs
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2619
    RE: Life influence? 2009/03/19 18:33:18 (permalink)
    The Beatles. Coming from Liverpool I could relate to them as people, but couldn't begin to imagine where their music came from, as it often seemed unique and any roots relatively obscure. So they inspired me to find my own music, and I'm still searching as I am no Lennon, Mc Cartney or Harrison. I bought the Beatles songbook and learned every song, I guess my approach to chord and song structure still gravitates back to their style to this day.

Kurt Vonnegut Jr - I was introduced to his books by a girlfriend in my 20's. His gentle humour and witty observations on the human state convinced me not to take the world too seriously. And to do good things without expecting anything in return except the same spin of the dice as everyone else. His consistent themes and even recurring characters across five decades of writing taught me the power of gentle persuasion. In this instant gratification, 24 hour media world we live in today, sometimes the little guy with the wise message can be heard if only by contrast to the frenetic world around him. Finally, his alter ego, Kilgore Trout, who appears in much of his work, yet Kilgore is not a fantasy character who lives out the dreams of the creator, but an artful facsimile of his creator who transports himself from the real world into his imaginary stories and landscapes. Yes, Garry Kiosk is my Kilgore Trout..........
    post edited by The Kiosk Project - 2009/03/19 18:40:50

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
    Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
    Cromberger
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Life influence? 2009/03/19 18:51:49 (permalink)
    Beethoven's 9th Symphony

The book "The Agony and the Ecstasy"

I feel that the 9th symphony put me in touch with the true muse, the highest possible form of human expression, and communion with a much higher authority than mankind, himself, could ever attain. Still feel that way today. The word sublime doesn't even begin to express what the 9th symphony is. Totally changed my life, both musically and spiritually.

The Agony and the Ecstasy gave me a much more down to Earth view of exactly what it takes to live and breathe and succeed at being a artist.

Best regards,
    Bill

Sonar Platinum
    Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
    Studio Cat DAW
    Intel I-950 Processor
    6 Gigs RAM
    M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R Audio Interface
    Mackie HR824 Monitors
    space_cowboy
    • Total Posts : 9813
    RE: Life influence? 2009/03/19 18:57:57 (permalink)
    Hey Garry NO FAIR!!! Kilgore Trout is my hero - as is Chauncey Gardener.

Space Cowboy is sort of influenced by my all time favorite book - Kilgore Trout's epic Venus on the Half Shell (VOTHS is the link to my sound click, characters are passwords...). as well as the Joker by Steve Miller (long story that a few people understand), plus my time with NASA.

My original copy (long since lost) said "Now Available Without Lurid Covers!" - a nod to the bulk of KT's work being published by World Classics Library. I was trying to collect all the Kilgore Trout works but (a) evidently no one has - not even Rosewater and (b) my wife (now ex) would get very upset at all the magazines with titles like "Wide Open Bea&ers Inside".

I always kind of fancied myself after the Kilgore Trout that was the character in Breakfast of Champions - a somewhat seedier character than say the Kilgore Trout in Timequake.

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    ricstudioc
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 670
    RE: Life influence? 2009/03/19 21:32:36 (permalink)
    Well, let's see here -

Taoism - by way of martial arts training. I consider myself extremely fortunate that during my years involved in the arts I numbered among my teachers several.... easterners?.... asians?... (don't want to be un-PC, here) who were born and raised in their respective countries. To them, the arts were NOT about punching and kicking - that was just part of a larger philosphy regarding life, and our purpose therein. With their help, I was able to shed myself of an anger and unrest that had dogged me for a great part of my early life. They showed me that, in the same instant, I was utterly powererless - and the most powerful force on the planet. When you truly realize that there is no contradiction there, let's talk.

I'll resist the urge to wax pedantic on you, and simply say - we really ARE just leaves on a cosmic stream, here by a random convergance of events. Quit trying so hard to control things, and just enjoy the ride.

BTW - I'm well into my 50's now, carrying about 20 extra pounds in all the saggy places - I haven't kept up on my training. But the philosophies will be with me to the grave.

More pragmatically - the writings of Robert Heinlein. I can't think of a single book of his - including his "kids" books - that didn't cause me to think differently about SOMETHING - social conventions, life and death, sex, technology, patriotism..... love. Book after book caused me to look more closely at - and be willing to challenge - our "monkey customs" and tribal behavior. We're not as advanced as we tell ourselves we are - though the potentials we possess are staggering....

(Brother Johnson will now pass among you with the collection plate........)

OH! Can't let this go without credit where credit is due - Art and Jeanenne Peaco. Prior to my involvement in the martial arts, still an angry, restless kid on the streets, this amazing young couple took me into their home, showed me respect and patience, made me take a long look at where I was heading, and what I was doing to those around me. Lost track of them years ago, but on the off chance that they're Sonar users - Thanks, folks. I owe you more then I can ever say - and I'm still paying it forward. Always will.

Ric
    foxwolfen
    RE: Life influence? 2009/03/20 00:32:52 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jamesg1213

That's an interesting question. I thought about it a lot today, went back through the music, art, literature, TV and films I've enjoyed through the years, and I arrived back at this book, which my sister read to me when I was about 7 yrs old.

I bought a copy later and have read it many times over the years. Written in 1960, it's a fantasy novel for children, taking in the Arthurian legend, and has some obvious parallels with Tolkien in the characters. A parochial English tale, set in Cheshire, with some ordinary people thrown into extraordinary events; I would say it stirred in me an interest in fantasy and surrealism which lead onto Sci-Fi, prog rock, and Monty Python in my teens, then into horror films, animation and illustration - shaping just about every facet of my character, from bizarre flights of fancy and nonsensical humour, to brooding English melancholy, and in the end, the way I play my guitar.

Phew....that was deep...anyone fancy a pint?

Hmmm, a pint of Bailey's? You're on!

Your story reminds me of a series of books that I devoured multiple times over as a small boy: The Dave Dawson & Freddy Farmer WW2 RAF adventures by Sidney Bowen. When one goes to my site, its not hard to see that influence (80% aviation related).

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Johannes H
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 333
    RE: Life influence? 2009/03/20 06:27:11 (permalink)
    One step into the light, one step away from night, it`s the hardest step you`re gonna take ...................................................

Find the mission of your life and start to be........................................................................................................................

The truth will set us free, we cannot loose, we just have to choose.

(Mike Pinder of The Moody Blues from the song "One step into the light")

Nick P
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3112
    RE: Life influence? 2009/03/20 08:02:53 (permalink)
    Three of the most life changing influences here have been:

Mike McCue

Space Cowboy

YourOlPal

They have taught me that the art of being a wise**s has no boundaries. Its subtleties expand as one pushes the envelope. They are witty beyond description. True geniuses all.

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!
    artsoul
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1985
    RE: Life influence? 2009/03/20 10:10:45 (permalink)
    Psychotropic drugs

Women

Insurrection

Music

Art

Noise

Me

(in no particular order)

No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    RE: Life influence? 2009/03/23 16:59:39 (permalink)
    Cabernet
    Zinfendel
    Chianti

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: Life influence? 2009/03/23 19:07:53 (permalink)
    No particular verse or message in a song/art/book that did it... My older brother (by 7 yrs.) had a massive 45rpm record collection. If I wasn't busy playing army in the back-woods I would sit in the chair and just listen to those records. I would create 'scenes' in my mind while listening. Maybe a form of escapism, but it put me in a better place, and still does to this day. There was a neighbor who had an acoustic guitar and would sit on his porch and sing/play old CW songs. To see and hear someone up close and personal make music, did it for me. It was much more than listening to a record. 10 yrs. later and I got my 1st guitar and it kept me out of more trouble than I was already in and still keeps me in that 'good place'....

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    RE: Life influence? 2009/03/23 19:11:58 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Nick P

Mike McCue

Space Cowboy

YourOlPal

They have taught me that the art of being a wise**s has no boundaries. Its subtleties expand as one pushes the envelope. They are witty beyond description. True geniuses all.

What no Bapu?
    foxwolfen
    RE: Life influence? 2009/03/23 21:46:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Nick P

Mike McCue

Space Cowboy

YourOlPal

LOL

Hmmm... run afoul the citizens have you?

Composers Forum
    foxwolfen
    RE: Life influence? 2009/03/23 21:48:47 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: lhansen

No particular verse or message in a song/art/book that did it... My older brother (by 7 yrs.) had a massive 45rpm record collection. If I wasn't busy playing army in the back-woods I would sit in the chair and just listen to those records. I would create 'scenes' in my mind while listening. Maybe a form of escapism, but it put me in a better place, and still does to this day. There was a neighbor who had an acoustic guitar and would sit on his porch and sing/play old CW songs. To see and hear someone up close and personal make music, did it for me. It was much more than listening to a record. 10 yrs. later and I got my 1st guitar and it kept me out of more trouble than I was already in and still keeps me in that 'good place'....

Here here to escapism.

I am all for it. LOL (Are we still allowed to laugh? )

Composers Forum
    i8ipop
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 568
    RE: Life influence? 2009/03/23 22:31:35 (permalink)
    Hmmm, a pint of Bailey's? You're on!

If you're "Old Gregg" don't you dare show me your mangina!!!

Still raining...still dreaming!
    Texrat
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1531
    RE: Life influence? 2009/03/23 22:44:23 (permalink)
    College Comp 1 and 2 teacher. She fixed my writing for life.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1