Lightning Strikes...New Keyboard Decision

Author
Butch
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 175
2010/09/04 08:20:16 (permalink)

Lightning Strikes...New Keyboard Decision

Hello all,

After a recent lightning storm, my Roland XP-30 is completely dead.  I mean dead...no sound, no lights...no sign of life at all.  I changed the fuse and hardwired the switch and still nothing.  I've had it for over ten years so maybe it's time for a new one.

Do any of you have any experience with the Roland Juno G, Korg M50, Yamaha MO6 or Kurzwiel PC3LE6?  Right now, those are what I'm considering.  Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help,

Butch
Let's make some art!

10 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Lightning Strikes...New Keyboard Decision 2010/09/04 09:03:55 (permalink)
    New gear..... man I hate lightning strikes.... to my house... in my business, when a customer calls and says they had a lightning strike,,,,, well, that means I'm making money.

Keep all your gear on a surge protected UPS..... AND or unplug it from the wall when you finish..... what does it take?.... 5 second to reach down and pull the plug out of the outlet..... once disconnected, the gear is safe from the surge.

ALL my important electronics and studio gear is on a surge protected UPS..... but even then, I will at times pull the plug.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:Lightning Strikes...New Keyboard Decision 2010/09/04 12:25:25 (permalink)
    Butch

Hello all,

After a recent lightning storm, my Roland XP-30 is completely dead.  I mean dead...no sound, no lights...no sign of life at all.  I changed the fuse and hardwired the switch and still nothing.  I've had it for over ten years so maybe it's time for a new one.

Do any of you have any experience with the Roland Juno G, Korg M50, Yamaha MO6 or Kurzwiel PC3LE6?  Right now, those are what I'm considering.  Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help,

Do any of you have any experience with the Roland Juno G, Korg M50, Yamaha MO6 or Kurzwiel PC3LE6?

You might want to take this "opportunity" to move to soft-synths.  
    Go play all the above keyboards... and then have a listen to a couple of the better soft-synths like Omnisphere and Kontakt.

FWIW, I've had the flaship units from all top keyboard manufacturers... and now (for me)... they're nothing but $3000 MIDI controllers. 
    Yamaha has just released an updated version of the Motif...
    After using Omnisphere, Kontakt, and a handful of other (good) soft-synths both in the studio and live... I'm not satisfied with any workstation-keyboard.  It took a good while for me to get to this stage.  The final straw (for me) was when playing a gig... the M3 went out of tune right in the middle of playing a piano break.
    IMO, One of the factors that made Roland keyboards great was the genius sound design of Eric Persing.
    That experience and expertise is now behind Omnisphere...

In any event... something to think about 

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Bonzos Ghost
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1112
    Re:Lightning Strikes...New Keyboard Decision 2010/09/04 15:38:16 (permalink)
    I'd probably skip the Juno G on that list. Not anti-Roland, as I have a couple of Roland synths that I like. Best to try them all and see what they offer for sound, performance features, editing depth & ease of use. None of the "swiss army knife" keyboards these days do everything right, so it'll depend on what your needs are. I personally wouldn't buy any new keyboard/workstation these days unless it had a very good sampling option for adding your own multi-sampled/layered sounds. That's just me though. A large part of those synths is going to be the "same old same old" sound sets with a few new flavours added.
    haydn12
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 322
    Re:Lightning Strikes...New Keyboard Decision 2010/09/04 17:55:39 (permalink)
    I'm with Jim Roseberry on this.  My XP-30 is only used to trigger soft-synths these days.  Haven't used the internal sounds for a few years plus I've been selling off my older hardware units while they still work.

Most live acts I've seen the last couple years are using soft-synths triggered by controller keyboards.  

Jim 
    Butch
    Re:Lightning Strikes...New Keyboard Decision 2010/09/05 09:37:26 (permalink)
    Well, let's see:

As far as lightning, what surprised me was that I had the keyboard plugged in to a power strip and the strip was turned off.  How did the voltage spike get through a power strip that was turned off?

As far as soft synths, I really do prefer hardware synths for these reasons:

1. You have to have a computer to use a soft synth.  On the rare occasion that I play out, there is no way I am taking my tower system to a gig.  I don't want to buy a laptop either.  One computer's worth of problems is enough.

2. Keyboards don't crash, get viruses, have compatibility issues, etc. like computers do.

3. Keyboards have no lag time...instant response.  Soft synths have lag time, and even though it might be slight, it bothers the drummer in me.

4. I like the control of all of those knobs and sliders, not clicking a mouse on multiple windows.

I do appreciate the responses though.  It's difficult for me to test keyboards in the store.  Where I live, there are not a lot to choose from...small town.

Butch
    Let's make some art!
    tarsier
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3029
    Re:Lightning Strikes...New Keyboard Decision 2010/09/05 11:09:24 (permalink)
    How did the voltage spike get through a power strip that was turned off?

How does lightning get from the ground to the sky?

That's why when lightning's coming, you should unplug stuff.
    Jim Roseberry
    Re:Lightning Strikes...New Keyboard Decision 2010/09/05 15:53:56 (permalink)

2. Keyboards don't crash, get viruses, have compatibility issues, etc. like computers do. 3. Keyboards have no lag time...instant response. Soft synths have lag time, and even though it might be slight, it bothers the drummer in me.

I can understand not wanting to schlep extra gear to gigs... 
    But I wanted to elaborate on a couple of things.

FWIW, Keyboards *can/do* have issues playing live at gigs... and can indeed crash.
    I've had a Korg M3 go out of tune at a gig... right in mid tune (power related).
    When you go to power up a M3, Motif, or Fantom... notice that it takes about a minute to boot up.
    Why?  Because they're dedicated computers.  (The Motif XS runs a dedicated version of Linux.)
    The M3 going out of tune was what finally pushed me to start using a laptop... then the cube (for more speed).
    FWIW, I've not had a single issue (no glitches/hiccups/etc) in many months of 4 hour gigs.  

In over 14 years of use... none of my DAWs has ever had a virus.

Regarding knobs/sliders/etc:  I use a Motif XS as a MIDI controller (along with an expression pedal).
    I've got plenty of realtime MIDI control at my fingertips.

I started out as a drummer (all thru school/college)... so I'm very sensitive to timing.
    If you have the speed, you can run soft-synths at a 64-sample ASIO buffer size.
    This translates to about 2ms latency...
    That's actually faster response time than almost any current keyboard-workstation (Motif, Fantom, M3, etc).
    There is no additional lag/etc... timing is actually better than the flagship units from Korg, Yamaha, Roland, and Kurzweil.

Other than cartage... there's no downside to using soft-synths. 
    I play out with the cube/touch-screen combo quite regularly.
    I've got cases (w/wheels) for both... so load-in/out is pretty quick.
    I can be setup in about 5-10 minutes.

In any event, use the gear you like.
    But there's no reason to fear/fret about using soft-synths.
    In truth, today's keyboards are nothing more than dedicated computers running dedicated soft-synths.
    As with a typical studio DAW, if you make good choices, you can have a very reliable live (soft-synth) machine.
    I'm going on two years without a single glitch.  That's actually more reliable than the Korg M3.  

post edited by Jim Roseberry - 2010/09/05 16:01:48

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Butch
    Re:Lightning Strikes...New Keyboard Decision 2010/09/07 13:28:44 (permalink)
    I just checked out Omnisphere and Kontakt...they sound phenominal!  Also they have like 43 gigs of samples compared to the 256 megs of a hardware keyboard.  Also, the hardware keyboards that I'm looking at, (for around a grand), only have velocity with no aftertouch.  The midi controller keyboards have aftertouch as well.  So I could get way more sounds and more controll for less money.

The only questions now are to get a Cakewalk or M-Audio controller and Omnisphere or Kontakt.

I'm seriously G.A.S. ing!

Butch
    Let's make some art!
    Jim Roseberry
    Re:Lightning Strikes...New Keyboard Decision 2010/09/07 15:48:47 (permalink)
    The only questions now are to get a Cakewalk or M-Audio controller and Omnisphere or Kontakt.

BTW, I didn't even mention that reprogramming set-lists is about 1000 times quicker/easier.    
    Use either Cantible 2 Performer or Forte' as the live host application.
    The soft-synths are configured as a virtual "rack" of gear.  Sub-sessions or Scenes are used to setup unique setup (Multi-patch) for each song.  This would be your splits/layers/etc.  The coolest part is that muted (unused) soft-synths don't load the CPU.

Regarding the controller:
    If possible, go play both.
    You'll likely prefer the feel of one over the other.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:Lightning Strikes...New Keyboard Decision 2010/09/07 16:48:05 (permalink)
    FYI, Lightning travels through just about anything and everything. Turning off a power strip will only disconnect the black hot wire, The neutral and ground are still connected. Lightning is  - and + ( ground to air or air to ground)
    and will happily travel through the grounding system in your building.
    I lost an electric fencer once and it was not plugged in but it was grounded.
    I have a master ac plug that goes to my power strips and UPS.
    I unplug it during stormy weather or when I'm away. And don't forget your CAT5.

Keyboard players I've worked with have commented 
    sit down with your eyes closed , first you need to like the way it feels turned off.
    Then you need to like the control layout
    The sounds are the last thing to worry about as all can be modified and tweaked. or ya use it as a controller.
    Another comment that I will agree 100% with as a sound man -
    " nothing cuts through a loud R&B mix like a Roland"
    We had a Yamaha piano at the last concert and I just could not get it out there.
    Ended up using an old EP7
    Roland has a new keyboard I saw an add for the other day that looks interesting as it includes the B3 modeling and drawbars.
    post edited by johnnyV - 2010/09/07 17:14:57

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1