Like a heatwave

Author
57Gregy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14404
2010/08/13 01:03:39 (permalink)

Like a heatwave

Since I missed all the fun (and don't you hate it when someone else gets your thread locked?), I'll answer here.
It's been hot.
And since my store is going through renovations, and the grand re-opening is tomorrow (today, since this post is post-midnight), I've been out on the patios sprucing things up.
Hot! I tell you. And humid.
At least we have a big cooler of water and can escape inside to chill out.
And there's very little chance of getting executed.

Greg 
I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 

16 Replies Related Threads

VinylJunkie
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 939
    Re:Like a heatwave 2010/08/13 02:47:39 (permalink)
    Wow! I've seen a few threads get out of hand here, but would never have thought a thread about the weather would get locked!!!

If you want to escape a heatwave, come to the UK - and enjoy a cold a wet British summer !!

VJ
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:Like a heatwave 2010/08/13 07:44:12 (permalink)
    We've something like all time hottest summer in Finland. It's been a little too much. Not as bad as in Moscow and Siberia, though.

This north, people don't usually have air conditioning, because keeping the houses warm in the winter is a priority.

Normally, in southern Finland we have about 15-20 days a year with temperature over 25 C (76 F), this summer it's been  80-95 F for nearly two months now.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Like a heatwave 2010/08/13 08:22:32 (permalink)
    As a kid growing up in NJ, where it does get pretty hot....we did not have AC. It was a case of play outside in the woods, or set up the sprinkler (no pools either) . At home, we had fans in the windows, and if it was really too hot, we went down in the basement to play with a fan running.....that was our AC back then..... and ....

not one of the cars my folks had came with AC in them.  Now let me tell you about hot. You haven't experienced hot until you set on a vinyl seat cover that's been in the sun for a few hours...wearing shorts. You kinda just stick to that hot plastic. And the dashboard in those old cars were metal....hot enough to fry an egg. Air conditioning was roll the window down.... however, my mom being who she was...and still is.... would only let us roll the window down about 2 inches no matter how hot it was.... the cars had wing windows and we could open those too, but only a little.

My mom.... in the car, never used defrosters...open the wing window even on the coldest days....in the rain.....just a few weeks ago, I visited her, and took her out to lunch in my F-150. She rolls the window down..."for some air"... I promptly rolled it up and locked it off (love those child locks!) and cranked the AC and said... " Now there's some air for you!"

At home...we actually did have an air conditioner...a big window unit. We carried it with us when we moved, and the house we moved into in Burlington, NJ did not have large enough windows to actually use it...... so, my mom..... had my dad set it in the corner of the living room on a small bench he made, and from time to time, she would actually turn it on..... It was blowing cool air out the front and more warm... no....hot air out the back, so by using it, we actually heated the room up rather than cool it down. My mom...gotta love her.... dad, to his credit, finally moved it somewhere else, or sold it...I don't recall.... one day it was gone.

How did we ever live before AC? Somehow we did.... and life was good.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    Re:Like a heatwave 2010/08/13 12:28:46 (permalink)
    I don't know how we survived before A/C! Actually growing up in KC we didn't have A/C. We put those box fans in the windows to keep the air moving. But on really hot days my mom would just take us to the mall and we'd hang out there all day.

It was supposed to drop down to 90 here tomorrow but they've changed the forecast and now according to weather.com it's going to be 100 again tomorrow and "even more oppressively humid". "Oppressive" is not a word I want to see in my weather forecast!

Bring on AUTUMN!!!! 
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Like a heatwave 2010/08/13 12:58:13 (permalink)
    malls???  we didn't have no stinkin' malls to hang out in!  I grew up in a rural town, the nearest mall was an hour away.

my paternal grandparents didn't ever have an A/C.  my maternal grandparents had a window unit as long as I can remember.  and we had a window unit in our little house, then when dad had the additional 2 rooms added to the house we got another window unit.  2 units for the house!  all of our heating was done from a gas floor unit.  we kids burned ourselves MANY times falling on the grate of that floor unit!

anyway - hot again today with more hot to come!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    Re:Like a heatwave 2010/08/13 13:37:31 (permalink)
    Beagle

the nearest mall was an hour away.

Up hill both ways?

Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Like a heatwave 2010/08/13 13:49:46 (permalink)
    dlogan

Beagle

the nearest mall was an hour away.

Up hill both ways?

Dang STRAIGHT!  In the snow, too!!!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:Like a heatwave 2010/08/14 06:43:27 (permalink)
    If they only quickly produced an AC unit that runs on solar energy and  still is effective enough. AC and baby diapers (well, adults' as well) are among the worst environmental problems we have.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Like a heatwave 2010/08/14 07:24:47 (permalink)
    Dave, I think it's supposed to get cool tomorrow.  Can't wait.  It rained last night too.   On the weather report, they mentioned 'stray thunderstorms.'  I guess one of them found its way here.  lol

My grandma only ever had a window A/C but at night she turned it off and turned on a ceiling fan and closed the doors to the rest of the house so the fan would pull air in from the windows.  I'll never forget sleeping by that window with the cool summer air blowing in my face.  Wonderful!
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Like a heatwave 2010/08/14 09:43:28 (permalink)
    don't worry.... in 6 months we'll be wishing for some of this heat.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Janet
    Re:Like a heatwave 2010/08/14 09:46:34 (permalink)
    I was just thinking that this morning, Herb. 

Dave, I hope you went outside this morning.  At 6:30 it was only 76...felt like a beautiful spring day.  I was able to get my fall crop of spinach and lettuce planted and some other gardening done before it got too hot. Actually, by 8:00 it still wasn't too bad.  Nice weather's coming. :-)
    RRabbi
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 923
    Re:Like a heatwave 2010/08/14 11:27:08 (permalink)
    Supposed to get up to 111 degrees today, and 113 tomorrow (Phoenix area)....   The weather guy on TV said it might be a good idea to just stay inside.... duh!  

Maybe being Canadian and used to the extreme cold, it prepared us for the extreme heat? hehe.... I don't see what the big deal is, although it is wicked hot. We're used to 90 to 100% humidity along with the heat back home tho... so this is bearable (as long as we're just heading from one A/C'd building to another, or our A/C'd car, of course...)  :)

Dave

David Yanofsky
    Green Room East - Moncton, NB - CANADA

http://www.greenroomeast.com
    http://www.myspace.com/greenroomeast
    Janet
    Re:Like a heatwave 2010/08/14 11:32:35 (permalink)
    I'd like to experience low humidity for once.  I'm not sure I ever have.

A couple summers ago I spent most of the summer helping my son do construction.  It was amazing the heat we stood.  We just got used to being soaked all the time I guess.  He had a job after work too, so we'd work from 7-3, go jump in the lake to cool off (even though it was pretty hot), then work from 4-8.  Now just thinking about it about kills me.  lol  I do remember one day, though, standing there cutting soffit and I think the heat index was about 115 and I thought 'you know what...this is just too darn hot.'  And I went home. 
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:Like a heatwave 2010/08/14 13:39:31 (permalink)
    I was up in Monterey, CA on Friday. Cool ocean breezes all day.

Today in my studio (at 10:30AM) it's 74F. Too bad I don't get to work in here until later today. When I get back around 5PM it will probably be 84F.

Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re:Like a heatwave 2010/08/14 17:09:30 (permalink)
    I was out in Orange County Ca earlier this week. It was much cooler than here in Pa. Just got back from Toronto as well. It was very nice up there.

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

Janet
    Re:Like a heatwave 2010/08/15 16:25:05 (permalink)
    Dave...so much for 'cooler' today, huh?  I guess it is a bit cooler, but it doesn't classify as cool yet, though.

But, to put it in perspective, a friend of mine is home from Iraq for 2 weeks.  He said it's been 120-130 degrees there...no rain for the last 5 months. 

And when he got off the plane in Missouri last month, HE COULDN'T BELIEVE HOW HOT IT IS HERE!  So...it's hotter here than the desert I guess. 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1