Limit first or normalize later ?

Author
alltheseworlds
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 177
2006/04/28 21:31:10 (permalink)

Limit first or normalize later ?

I have done almost all my audio work for the web, but now I'm finishing a CD. I'm finding it a totally different beast with much higher - and different - mastering standards...

In all my test masterings so far I find that by the end I seem to have picked up some hiss. I'd rather not use EQs in the mastering chain just to eliminate hiss when I'm simultaneously trying to add 'sparkle'. Or is that standard practice ?

Almost all my work is mellow soundtrack material, verging on ambient - often there are no drums at all, but a lot of delicate high-end melody. It's not something I can compress much.

I'm not sure what I should do here. How do these sound ?

a) render a totally uncompressed dynamic (but quiet-ish) wav and then normalize in SoundForge at the start of the mastering process (this does seem to create a lot of noise)

OR:

b) Apply a limiter to Sonar's master output so the wav for mastering is louder to begin with

OR:

c) Don't worry about any slight hiss in the mastering chain until almost the end, then delicately EQ it out

OR:

d) Something else entirely ?

Any thoughts very much appreciated.

23 Replies Related Threads

Jamz0r
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1725
    RE: Limit first or normalize later ? 2006/04/28 23:04:53 (permalink)
    I'm leaning toward C.
    alltheseworlds
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 177
    RE: Limit first or normalize later ? 2006/04/29 09:45:31 (permalink)
    No other thoughts ? I had wondered whether there was a 'standard practice' for this sort of thing ?
    Jamz0r
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1725
    RE: Limit first or normalize later ? 2006/04/29 11:41:52 (permalink)
    Well, I always try to avoid recoding any noise or hiss in the first place. But, if I'm mastering a noisy or hissy track for someone, I follow "C".

As for a "standard" I would say whatever works!
    TheFingers
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1669
    RE: Limit first or normalize later ? 2006/04/29 12:57:22 (permalink)
    If it is hiss with a recurring pattern, this is a prime candidate for Sound Forge's Noise Reduction Plugin.
    Normalizing is not a good solution here, unless you have to, never normalize.
    You might consider an attempt at eliminating the hiss at it's source.

1973 "A" neck.

I'd rather be playing Bass:
    krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    RE: Limit first or normalize later ? 2006/05/01 19:59:35 (permalink)
    Something sounds amiss to me personally. There shouldn't be any hiss introduced under normal circumstances but who can tell based on the info provided so far. It might help to provide some more in-depth information about your mixing and mastering philosophy, signal chain, plug-ins, etc. I've never had hiss introduced as the result of mixing or mastering unless there was something horribly out of whack. Usually it was always easy to diagnose and correct.

If you can provide more information, that might help.

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    NYSR
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1550
    RE: Limit first or normalize later ? 2006/05/02 07:52:04 (permalink)
    Why the hiss? SHould not be much if any.

Also different workflows work for different people but the industry standard USED TO BE (It is changing more from falling apart than anything else) -- Make your mix uncompressed - it should sound exactly the way you wish everyone could enjoy it in a perfect environment. Then let the mastering stage compress or do whatever else is needed to allow the mix to be delivered into the less than ideal places it will be headed.
    post edited by NYSR - 2006/05/02 23:35:49

Cakewalk customer since Apprentice version 1, PreSonus 16.4.2 ai, 3.5 gHz i7

NYSR
    RE: Limit first or normalize later ? 2006/05/02 08:00:55 (permalink)
    The best way to remove hiss is to use some sort of noise reducer. EQ can reduce it but it also reduces the sparkle. Use Sound Soap or an old copy of Cool Edit.

DonnyAir
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1201
    RE: Limit first or normalize later ? 2006/05/05 12:53:38 (permalink)
    In all my test masterings so far I find that by the end I seem to have picked up some hiss.

Hiss? or Noise? Big difference, and no I'm not trying to be a smart ass.

Sometimes pre's and compressors of the outboard type (and even inboard plugs) can introduce noise, sometimes mistaken for "hiss".

"Noise" can also originate from the room. Are you recording live trax, like vox, in a room with a noisy PC fan?

Are you using an LD condensor for your tracking, anywhere?

If so, is the mic's polar pattern set for cardioid?

Distance from mic?

How is your gain structure set?

How hot (or shy) are you recording?

Finally, tweaking EQ in the mastering stage is fairly common.

Avoid normalization if possible (I never use it) and add limiting or other gain reduction processing sparingly to maintain dynamic range, especially in the genre of music you described.

need a little more info...

FWIW
    papa2004
    Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6475
    RE: Limit first or normalize later ? 2006/05/05 15:28:01 (permalink)
    To alltheseworlds:

Ditto here...Not enough info provided...If there is "hiss" or other "noise" on the individual tracks then you have problems...

I have done almost all my audio work for the web, but now I'm finishing a CD. I'm finding it a totally different beast with much higher - and different - mastering standards...

Not only is it a totally different beast, you must understand that there is a difference between mixing & mastering...They are two entirely different (although inherently related) stages of the recording process...Just because you have a DAW program that is capable of "mastering" doesn't mean that you can do it correctly...Mastering is an art (as is mixing) and you're going to have to spend months (not a few hours) learning it...In addition, there are room dimensions, acoustic treatments, and monitoring chain (just to mention a few) factors that affect how your final mix/master translates to a quality product...

Regards,
    Papa
    holderofthehorns
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 679
    RE: Limit first or normalize later ? 2006/05/05 15:37:12 (permalink)
    All good info above.

Also, normalizing will raise the noise floor along with raising the regular music stuff.
    You really need a good reason to normalize.

Eric Anderson
    HolderOfTheHorns - It's a Viking thing.
    holderofthehorns
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 679
    RE: Limit first or normalize later ? 2006/05/05 15:47:38 (permalink)
    b) Apply a limiter to Sonar's master output so the wav for mastering is louder to begin with

This will make the noise floor louder as well.
    Better to relook at the mix and deal with the hiss there.

Do all the tracks hiss?
    Maybe some soft gating on the one track that does hiss would do it.
    Or as mentioned above, is the hiss in the physical signal chain?

Or Sound Soap as mentioned above.

Mastering is not the place to deal with problems that could and should be handled in the tracking and mixing stages.

Good luck. Persist, and you will accomplish it.

Eric Anderson
    HolderOfTheHorns - It's a Viking thing.
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Limit first or normalize later ? 2006/05/06 16:27:06 (permalink)
    i would definitely try to isolate the source in the mix. by fixing it during "mastering" you will "fix" all the other tracks as well which may not be contributing to the problem.

listen to the individual tracks in the mix. is there one which seems to bring out the hiss? check your effects as well. some people load on the expanders/exciters/shiny-makers/etc. and the end result is high-end distortion which might be this "hiss" you speak of. or it could simply be the combination of a lot of live tracks with sub-par signal-to-noise ratios which you've turned up.

see if you are boosting the top end on a particular track (which brings out hiss as well) and get rid of the boost and see if that makes a difference.

- jack the ex-cynic
    DonnyAir
    RE: Limit first or normalize later ? 2006/05/07 11:14:36 (permalink)
    Apply a limiter to Sonar's master output so the wav for mastering is louder to begin with

I wouldn't. But then again I'm not a huge fan of using limiters in any stage of the mix process, either on the master buss or worse, on individual tracks.

There are many pro mastering engineers who stipulate that when receiving a final mix for mastering, that the RMS db level shouldn't exceed -22 to - 18db, and, that the peak values should not exceed -6db.

Essentially, when asking for this, they are asking for "room to work" within the dynamic range.

You could approach this the same way by having a final mix that is roughly at the above specs, and then master it to the way you would like, after the fact, much like if you had sent it out to a pro mastering house, using whatever limiting, EQ, or imaging manipulation you desire...but you still have your original final mix, un-effected, to turn to and experiment with.

Do understand though, that mastering is an art in itself, much like any area of recording.
    I was a pro engineer for many years and rarely did I handle the mastering stage.
    There are many pro recording and mixing engineers who can and do, and I applaud them for that, but I wasn't one of them. And, I don't think I was all that alone either..otherwise you wouldn't have seen thousands of albums over the years that said:
    "Engineered by Tom Lord Alge, Mastered by Bob Ludwig".

FWIW

D.
    jacktheexcynic
    RE: Limit first or normalize later ? 2006/05/08 12:13:25 (permalink)
    i do use a limiter on the "master" out bus, the sonitus multiband in fact. this is because i'm targeting my output for mp3 and not cd. i really don't see the need for the extra "mastering" step when i'm getting basically what i want with the multiband and i get to skip the mix-master loop by finding out right away what limiting is going to do to my mix. of course if i were targeting cd's i'd drop the multiband and turn down the mix as specified by whatever mastering god i'm sending the track off to.

generally when i don't have the volume i want, i turn up the individual busses until things start sounding squashed, at which point i determine whether i'm just trying to get too much volume (a/b with pro cd) or there's some mix problem preventing me from getting the volume i want (generally some bass-heavy instrument in need of eq).

the question i have is this: what is the sonic difference between the process i've described and turning down the busses so they don't peak and then mastering later? is it just as simple as adding gain and a limiter which is essentially what i'm already doing? and by mastering here i'm not talking about a whole album, just a single track. i do know that mastering is more than "making it loud." =)

- jack the ex-cynic
    DonnyAir
    RE: Limit first or normalize later ? 2006/05/13 09:45:03 (permalink)
    the question i have is this: what is the sonic difference between the process i've described and turning down the busses so they don't peak and then mastering later?

Not much, IMO. And I certainly for one can't say to you that you are doing something definitively "wrong" per se'.

If, by adding the limiting on the master buss to the same degree that you would in that extra/added step of mastering, then you are saving yourself a bit of time, except...

If you then decided, after the fact, to still master the song using a 2 track mastering prog, you would have to be very careful of what you did at that stage, and not just in regard to "volume". If you were that close to digital zero on the final mix/pre master, even adding gain to particular frequencies could push you over, zap your dynamics into mush, or at the very least result in possible brittle or muddy sonics. But if you were really attentive to these possibilities, you'd be fine.

And you are right that mastering is more than making it "loud", LOL, although sometimes in this day and age that's largely debate-able I'm afraid... Especially when working with a project or album... there's continuity between tracks as to not only levels but to tone, dynamics and ambient feel.

I guess, if this is working for you, that I would certainly be the last one to say what you are doing is wrong. If it's working for you, the go for it. But I always liked having a version of the mix unencumbered by any master dynamics processing.
    You can always add, subtract, whatever in the mastering stage and stuill have an unmastered final mix to fall back on should you want to, but by adding this processing directly into the final mix (pre master), well, it's kind of like trying to put the toothpaste back in the tube, IMHO.

FWIW

D.
    mixman22000
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 103
    RE: Limit first or normalize later ? 2006/05/17 06:59:00 (permalink)
    hey guys,
    donnyair and the rest of you guys,
    wow you just cleared a whole lot of what ive been doing worng up to me.
    ive been sending my premasters with either a multiband or regular sonitus compressor into soundforge at -0.1 db for mastering, i now realize that i have no headroom to work with here.
    dang ive been killing my own mix and then trying to make it louder in sound forge.
    there is so much pressure these days about trying to make a mix as loud as possible.
    i have been looking at so many comercial cd mixes lately and my god the wav fills the whole track, in fact ive extracted a lot of songs from cd into soundforge and the wave was so huge all you see is solid color and the song clips imediately and stays that way all the way through the song.
    i just bought a cd from a band called fly leaf and there a metal band with a female singer that sounds kinda like alanis morsette but with way heavier music. every dang song clips on this cd in soundforge. i cant visibly hear any artifacts from cliping but the meters tell me differently.
    i am now realizing that bi have so much more to learn, i can track fairly decent or at least it is my strongest point, i have decent mics and pres and i have tons of books with proper mic placement and such and have been using them for a long time now.
    my biggest weakness is my mixing and mastering, #1 my soundroom has no acoustic treatment and its very doubtful at this point to get any because my house has been up for sale for somtime now and we are waiting for it to close so we can move to a bigger city.
    ive had alot of bands come here whos stuff is being aired on the radio and want as loud of a mix as they can get, i always tell them that they need to send there mix out for mastering but they always say the same thing we cant afford to and need it sooner than that so do the best you can, so i have yet to charge anyone for a less than desirable mastering process that i do. i thank the author of this thread and all who have chimed in here it realy helped me a ton thanks.

BEST REGARDS TIM (NEW LIGHT AUDIO)
    jacktheexcynic
    RE: Limit first or normalize later ? 2006/05/17 22:08:43 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mixman22000
    i have been looking at so many comercial cd mixes lately and my god the wav fills the whole track, in fact ive extracted a lot of songs from cd into soundforge and the wave was so huge all you see is solid color and the song clips imediately and stays that way all the way through the song.

this is typical for "professional" cds. squashed to hell. and when it hits the radio, believe it or not, they'll squash it some more. this ensures that the guy driving his stock chevy truck from 1978 with one speaker blown and the other praying for deliverance has the same experience as the guy driving a shiny new acura tl. but then most people aren't paying enough attention to notice.

there are a lot of things you can do to get your mix hotter, but compression/limiting should be the last step (in my humble opinion).

the first thing to do is hunt down bass frequencies and kill them. bass frequencies rob you of headroom and you probably can't hear them anyway. everything below 40hz goes, no matter what. on everything but bass and kick, you can start at 150hz and go up until things start to sound thin.

next you should hunt down the fundamental and resonant frequencies of each instrument. go find the "mixing tips by chaz" thread in this forum for a list of starter frequencies. or you can download voxengo's free plugin called span, which can show you what's popping out on each track. dip these frequencies until things start sounding bad.

do not solo tracks when you are doing this. listen to the whole mix. if it sounds good solo'ed you have a lot of work to do.

use complimentary eq to fix problems with instruments competing with each other (turning up one track drowns out another). this means you find out which track is "masking" the one with problems and at what frequency. a narrow band eq or the previously mentioned voxengo span vst is good for this. dip the offending frequency on the offending track instead of boosting it on the masked track.

use high pass filters on tracks that don't need it. this would be rhythm guitars, kick drums, basses, toms. start high and work your way down until it starts affecting the mix.

don't do this all in one session. you'll get mix blindness. mix at low volume to make sure everything you need is getting the attention it is supposed to get.

as you do this you'll notice you can turn up your tracks more and more. your mix gets "louder" but the peaks are the same. why? because you've gotten rid of the frequencies which you can't hear or are supplied by other instruments.

the next step is gain envelopes (right frank? ). got an instrument or vocal that peaks out one place? slap a gain envelope (this is a clip envelope, not to be confused with the volume track envelope) on that clip and dip it. the idea here is to get all your instruments (except drums) even in volume. the section where the vocalist is breathy should be approximately the same volume as where they are screaming their lungs out. your brain thinks the breathy section is quieter but it really isn't. just different frequenices are brought out.

if there's something in particular you want to bring out, like a solo, turn down the other non-bass/drums tracks a little bit and turn up the solo track a little bit. for example, once the vocalist starts singing you can dip the instrument bed (but not the bass or drums!) 1 or 2db. no one will notice. you've already played that killer guitar riff 8 times, and it's people's heads. they don't really need to hear it again until the next vocal break. concentrate on keeping your instrument level (except drums) fairly level.

now put a single band compressor on your master bus. turn up your other busses until things get too squashed or the kick drum/bass is "ducking" the rest of the mix too much. this is basically the same thing you'd do in sound forge. listen for rude instruments (bass, kick and chugging electrics are likely to be culprits here). if you get your levels high enough and still like the sound, then good for you. if not, start at the beginning and take away more frequencies.

it's not a mortal sin to boost frequencies, just be sure you've tried dipping first.

use compression on a track as a last resort for evenness. don't compress too much (~5/6db gain reduction) because you'll be doing that enough later.

if you still want more gain, or not all of your song is heavy guitars and yelling, you can use a technique called multing (props to yep for posting this before) which i'll briefly summarize here:

each track has something in it that you want people to hear (if not, get rid of it). the trick here is to find that frequency and isolate it with a fairly narrow band. put each of these frequencies on it's own track. you'll end up with several tracks of one instrument (for instance, the thump, body, click and "air" of the kick drum). i would also keep the original track, eq'd so it sounds good solo'ed (in case you actually have to solo it). throw some gain envelopes on those clips and when the mix gets heavy turn down/off the original track and experiment to taste with the others. now you can just have the thump and click, if that's all you want, and save yourself a bit of space in the low-mids and highs.

now here's where things get tricky. if your mix sounds good now, compressing may screw it up. this is why i put a multiband on my master buss, because i'm not intending to send my mixes off to be mastered for cd, i'm going to "master" them myself for mp3. if i ever get to the point where i'm going to burn a cd, my mixes are going to a real mastering engineer.

if you are going to master the mix yourself, i would recommend doing it in sonar to save yourself endless loops between the mixing stage and the mastering stage. this way when you nudge the volume on one track you know exactly what will happen to the end product.

even on my budget monitors, i can hear pro cds (audioslave as an example) which to be honest, don't sound that good. they are loud to be sure, but i can hear what sounds like high-end distortion and thin-sounding guitars and vocals. the point of this is to say that your mix before compression may sound quite thin and nasty, and even afterward, may not sound that great. but put it on an ipod, and no one will know. so that's why i recommend doing all the mixing and mastering of individual tracks at once. doing the whole album is a slightly different process which has also been covered in this forum. search for posts on "mastering" by yep to get a detailed version.

that's all the time i have for today. gotta go.

- jack the ex-cynic
    NYSR
    RE: Limit first or normalize later ? 2006/05/17 23:41:14 (permalink)
    jack - excelent!

bmcmanus
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Limit first or normalize later ? 2006/05/29 09:16:01 (permalink)
    jack-t-e-c, that is a particularly well articulated description of some good general mixing/mastering techniques and principles. It should be expanded and published as a brief guide for amateur (and quite a few pro) engineers. I'd love to hear what other tidbits you may want to share - do you have a website or blog?

On a related matter (this may actually be the start of another thread), should any standard EQ (e.g., Baxandall) be applied at the mastering stage for CDs? for MP3s? Or is this dependent on the nature of the material and intended audience?

-bmcmanus
    papa2004
    Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6475
    RE: Limit first or normalize later ? 2006/05/30 01:57:03 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bmcmanus

...should any standard EQ (e.g., Baxandall) be applied at the mastering stage for CDs? for MP3s? Or is this dependent on the nature of the material and intended audience?

BMC,

Practically everything that is done at every stage of the recording process (tracking, overdubbing, mixing, and mastering) is "...dependent on the nature of the material and intended audience"...(Other than following the basic fundamentals of getting the proper S/N ratio to the track, avoiding clipping & distortion at any point in the audio chain, checking for phase issues, etc.,)...

To briefly answer your question about EQ--About the only "standard" is that when mastering engineers choose to EQ a stereo mix when mastering it, they do it very selectively...HERE's an link to a few excellent articles about the basics of mastering (and getting your songs properly mixed before they will be mastered)...

Mastering (in the truest sense) is a very complex stage of recording to learn...Your room's acoustic characteristics, your monitor system, and your equipment are only parts of the equation; You must also know the hardware & software tools you're using and understand precisely what each tweak you make is doing and how it will affect the entire mix...

BTW, from what I've learned over the years, mixing and/or mastering your own songs is far more difficult than doing so with someone else's material...You're at a psychological disadvantage because it's extremely difficult for you to be completely objective!

Can it be done? Sure, If you have the mindset that allows you to say to yourself "Man! I spent almost an hour nailing that triplet run up the neck on my Strat but it's getting in the way of the vocal if I boost it enough to really shine! Oh well, maybe it should be muted or at least blended in subtlely with the rhythm guitars...", etc.,.

Engineering, at all stages of recording, requires (other than fundamental technical know-how) some level of objectivity...At the mixing and mastering stage, it is critical!

Just my 2¢ worth...

Regards,
    Papa
    bmcmanus
    RE: Limit first or normalize later ? 2006/05/30 08:42:06 (permalink)
    Thanks for the words-of-wisdom and recommendations, papa2004. I've read and re-read S-O-S, Digital Domain, and every other article and book I could find on mastering.

I understand the limitations of self-mastering, which are exacerbated by my pitiful audio environment (sidebar: perhaps we should start a thread with pictures/descriptions of the worst home/project studios - I've got a head start!). I still find it fascinating to see the results of even minor tweaks at the final stages. I listen to my material on as many different types of systems as possible, and use a varied support group of musicians and casual listeners who readily give me their biased opinions - mastering by chaos theory. This is strictly amateur stuff, so I don't worry too much about "radio-ready". I just want it to sound reasonably balanced (in all dimensions) with no uncontrolled transients to blow anybody's speaker.

IMO, unless we're at the level of Chessky and similar audiophilia, certain mastering standards will generally apply, e.g., at least a minimal touch of limiting to mitigate and control aforementioned transients. I am still curious as to the use of Baxandall curves and related standard EQs. Where are they used? Should they be applied to all material to "standardize" the final product? The documents I've read suggest that they are intended for low-level listening, but should they be applied if the material may be heard at higher levels? Or do I misunderstand the usage?

I welcome any and all enlightenment and opinion.

"Music is based on repetition; style is based on limitations" - John Hartford
    "A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the aid of unsuspecting musicians." F. Zappa
    bmcmanus
    RE: Limit first or normalize later ? 2006/05/30 15:41:15 (permalink)
    My apologies to all - in my discussions, replace Baxandall curves (for analog-style warmth) with Fletcher-Munson curves (for low-level listening eq). Sorry for any confusion.

-Bud

"Music is based on repetition; style is based on limitations" - John Hartford
    "A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the aid of unsuspecting musicians." F. Zappa
    jacktheexcynic
    RE: Limit first or normalize later ? 2006/05/30 21:39:48 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bmcmanus

jack-t-e-c, that is a particularly well articulated description of some good general mixing/mastering techniques and principles. It should be expanded and published as a brief guide for amateur (and quite a few pro) engineers. I'd love to hear what other tidbits you may want to share - do you have a website or blog?

thanks both to you and n.y.s.r., but it would be quite pretentious of me not to mention that yep and chaz have basically provided me with all the ideas i currently have on mastering (which have been mostly summarized above). also as papa2004 mentioned, it's not a good idea to master (or even mix) your own stuff, and being cheap i've ignored that advice to the peril of my own projects. definite proof that you can grasp the fundamentals and still be woefully unable to apply them. i find that i'm able to spot everything wrong with my "final mixdowns" but unable to get them to a happy place.

sadly, no website or blog, i'm too busy with my full-time job and wife to really keep one up. eventually i might have one and fill it up with rants against overcompressed radio pop... =)

On a related matter (this may actually be the start of another thread), should any standard EQ (e.g., Baxandall) be applied at the mastering stage for CDs? for MP3s? Or is this dependent on the nature of the material and intended audience?

here's what i've learned from others and observed listening to albums:

one of the goals for your cd should be getting all the songs to sound natural togather when listened to from start to finish. it's also nice if they sound good on random (which is probably how many people will listen to the cd after they've run it straight through a few times).

how this relates to e.q. is that you want all the songs on the same cd to have the same "feel", the same warmth or air or presence or grit or whatever. this makes all the songs cohesive, so one isn't super bass-heavy and the next thin, and the next present and the next hollow and distant. unless of course you are doing it on purpose. (when you are experimenting, do whatever comes to mind. when you are finalizing, you should do everything on purpose - you should know why you're adding an effect or dipping e.q.)

you'll have to do this in the context of the entire album, which is why some people master by throwing all their tracks back to back into [mastering program] so the "global eq" affects everything and so you can quickly find out whether what you did was a good idea.

basically, there aren't really any rules to post-mix e.q., but in general if you are fixing a song rather than shaping the album it's time to go back to the mixing stage.

as for mp3s, if it's a "single", then i'd say that similar rules apply (shaping the sound and not fixing it) but you don't have the rest of the album to worry about.

also mp3's take out frequencies we supposedly can't hear (or rather, can't pick out at 85mph/on an ipod) so i'm sure that affects mp3 mastering as well, though i don't know any specifics.

- jack the ex-cynic
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1