Limiting when mixing

Author
Elffin
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1196
2014/08/13 16:17:45 (permalink)

Limiting when mixing

Hi...

I've used for my own mixes a limiter on the master bus. Having read and watched a few youtube videos and noted that limiting is an important part of the mastering process I'm slightly confused if its good practise to use a limit on the master bus of a mix.

Any thoughts, guidance or tips will be very much appreciated! 

14 Replies Related Threads

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re: Limiting when mixing 2014/08/13 17:22:42 (permalink)
    I have always thought that mixing and mastering are two very different processes and limiting usually forms part of the mastering process. You should also leave a week between these two stages as well so you can master with fresh ears.

There should be no reason to use a limiter when printing a mix. A mix is usually being printed at a much lower rms levels than in the final mastering phases so it is basically not necessary. With good gain staging and use of the K system it is possible to print a mix at either K -14 or K-20 without any clip lights coming on anywhere.

The only thing that you can mix into sometimes is some light compression on the masterbuss. For some genres it works well later in mastering too. But this compressor is not raising rms levels, it is just acting as some slight conditioning on your premastered mix that is all.

In mastering you raise your rms level in various areas:

1 Putting your mix into an editor, limiting the peaks of all transients to say -3 dB and add 2 dB of rms level to the whole track
    2 The EQ can often add some extra gain without issues.
    3 The mastering compressor while it may only be dropping the GR by 2 or 3 dB you can add this back in the form of makeup gain.
    4 Final limiting in mastering should only be adding 3 to 4 dB or rms level overall.

Small amounts of gain from each stage will result in quite a dramatic lift in mastered rms levels. But we don't want to go too high now due to Loudness Wars concepts are pushing mastered levels back down a little. (Great!) So it is not hard to change a K-20 or K-14 track up to -10 rms levels or even slightly higher.

Treat mastering as a separate event either by yourself or a mastering engineer. Mixing is not the time to make mastering decisions. Your ears are already shot from mixing, making good mastering choices is very difficult under these conditions.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Elffin
    Re: Limiting when mixing 2014/08/13 18:42:55 (permalink)
    First of all - thanks for taking your time to explain your methods in so much detail. Really appreciate this.

Iv'e fallen into the temptation of using a limiter on my mixes to give me an idea of how things sound. But then I'm not really a master of mixing.

Ive heard similar to your suggestion that placing a compressor on the mix buss to help 'glue' a mix.. so I assume a low ratio?

Do some people use a limiter while mixing to 'protect' their monitors/headphones.. if so what settings?
    batsbrew
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re: Limiting when mixing 2014/08/13 18:54:57 (permalink)
    i routinely use limiters on individual tracks, and even busses, but never on the master during mixing.

IF...... you just want to get a feel for what happens to your mix (when using a limiter on the master bus) if you master it later for VOLUME, you can put a limiter across it and see what gets smashed, what pops out or covers up, and FAVOR that during mixing without the limiter on the master bus.

or, another approach, would be to mix into a limiter across the master buss, not too heavy, and then turn it off when rendering your final mix, knowing that when you then go to master that 24 bit file, when you DO put a limiter on during the mastering process, you will sort of know what it is going to do to your mix.

but after doing a lot of mixing, you will develop a FEEL for what you KNOW will work, and you will not have to jump thru these hoops to get there......

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Jeff Evans
    Re: Limiting when mixing 2014/08/13 19:08:07 (permalink)
    Danny and myself have had this discussion and both agree on this too.  Adding compressors or limiters actually wont effect a fantastic sounding mix that much, if at all.  If they do ( a lot that is)  you are doing something wrong in your mixing.  Subtle changes yes but not much more than that though.

Agree that limiters can be used on tracks and buses to great effect but should not really be necessary on the mixbuss.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    quantumeffect
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2771
    Re: Limiting when mixing 2014/08/13 20:29:16 (permalink)
    I spend most of my time mixing drums and I often have a limiter as the last plug on an individual track.

If I have two mic's on one drum, for example the top/bottom snare combination or inside/outside bass drum combination, I will send the two mic's to a buss for that drum (i.e., a snare buss or bass drum buss).  When I use this type of mic'ing combination I will put a limiter on the buss not on the individual tracks ... works for me.

Dave

8.5 PE 64, i7 Studio Cat, Delta 1010, GMS and Ludwig Drums, Paiste Cymbals

"Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact." H. Simpson

"His chops are too righteous."  Plankton during Sponge Bob's guitar solo 
    The Band19
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2795
    Re: Limiting when mixing 2014/08/13 23:00:33 (permalink)
    I always use a limitter on the MB? But I also use it on other stems as well, typically when I need to do some gain staging? I use FabFilter's Pro-L, you can push the incoming signal and I like the control it provides. Good stuff, but I love me some FF... I have almost all of their shiz. Fab rawks pretty darn hard.

I'm working on a project now which uses Pro-C, Pro-L, Pro-G and Twin-2 and Timeless-2... Fab's stuff is awesome and I recommend it very highly.

Sittin downtown in a railway station one toke over the line.
    Del
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 168
    Re: Limiting when mixing 2014/08/14 09:06:45 (permalink)
    The Band19
    I always use a limitter on the MB? But I also use it on other stems as well, typically when I need to do some gain staging? I use FabFilter's Pro-L, you can push the incoming signal and I like the control it provides. Good stuff, but I love me some FF... I have almost all of their shiz. Fab rawks pretty darn hard.

I'm working on a project now which uses Pro-C, Pro-L, Pro-G and Twin-2 and Timeless-2... Fab's stuff is awesome and I recommend it very highly.

but aren't you a little worried about what that is doing to your dynamics? Maybe I am all wrong but, I guess I would be concerned....

Regards,
    Del

www.thebrothersglaser.com

DAW: Cakewalk by Bandlab-64bit 

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: Limiting when mixing 2014/08/14 09:45:48 (permalink)
    My method is a compromise between those two approaches: I add the limiter halfway through the mix process. 

If mastering was just about raising volume, this wouldn't be necessary. But if you don't mix into a limiter, when you do add it later (or an ME does) it's going to change your mix in unexpected ways.

Get the mix sounding as good as possible without limiting and then dial it in with the limiter in place. You'll have fewer post-mastering surprises, and if you want to send it out for mastering all you have to do is take the limiter off before exporting.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    michaelhanson
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3529
    Re: Limiting when mixing 2014/08/14 13:01:37 (permalink)
    I do something similar to Bit's approach.  I start mixing into a Limiter as I am getting closer to the end of a project.  I set the Limiter to be very light in what it is actually Limiting.  I may increase the Limiting occasionally to see what it is sounding like, but I do most of the mixing with it barely inguaged. 

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
    https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
    iTunes:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
    BMI
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: Limiting when mixing 2014/08/14 14:09:44 (permalink)
    A limiter usually changes the sound if you have to raise the level of the mix more than a few dBs.  Since most of us mix to -6 to -3dB, the mix will usually need mastering.  And if you don't know how a limiter effects a mix, it is hard to mix w/ that in mind.  As most things engineering, it takes experience.  And different styles of music need different amounts of mastering.  A hot rock and roll may need a kiss of limiter, while the ballad on the same song needs more to make it sound right, but the mastering makes it sound ... strained.

So I like to keep the 2 processes separate.  I do the mix, print it at the project rate, and then use SF and Voxengo to do a rough master.  I can put that on CD or just import the "master" back into the project and solo/mute it to see how it sounds.  I can then use that to change the mix if necessary - such as remixing the above ballad hotter so the mastering doesn't sound so strained on it (I don't need to say you must have no effects on the master buss for this to work).  It is a good compromise.  You get to learn about mastering, even if you don't do it yourself.  And you learn how the limiting of your music effects the mix so you become a better mixer.

Or you can just enable/disable your master buss limiter to achieve the same thing.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Elffin
    Re: Limiting when mixing 2014/08/14 16:31:44 (permalink)
    One more question.. why do people master in soundforge or wavelab?

I've been told that Cd architect is pretty handy.. but Sonar is capable of mastering?
    Jeff Evans
    Re: Limiting when mixing 2014/08/14 16:44:52 (permalink)
    You can use a range of programs to master in.  I actually use Harrison Mixbus for a lot of mastering and there are various reasons for it.

It has a beautiful sound and just makes your mixes sound better for being inside it.
    The EQ is very cool and is different on Tracks, buses and the main stereo buss.
    The Harrison mastering plugins are also excellent.

You can certainly do it in Sonar and Studio One is also cool for mastering in that it offers a special mastering page.

I still believe that a carefully controlled mix will not be effected at all much with limiters and compressors over the mix.  The key is using VU meters during the mix process and understanding the ballistics of the VU meters and knowing when things are good and not so good.  I bet if a mix changes a lot under the limiter or compressor when you put a VU meter over that mix you will see why just by the movement of the meter and how it dances to the music.  Great mixes just make the VU move in a certain way.  And compression or limiting does not really change that too much.  Although it is also very interesting what happens to the VU meter ballisitic the moment you do put a compressor over it.  When the compressor is not well adjusted the VU meter ballisitic changes a lot. (in a bad way)  When it is set right the VU goes back to dancing correctly like it did before the compression went on. (in the top part of the meter range that is. What happens is it should just not drop down so quiet that is all)

You can almost mix with a VU meter and you can certainly adjust a compressor very well with one too.

batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re: Limiting when mixing 2014/08/14 17:23:47 (permalink)
    Elffin
    One more question.. why do people master in soundforge or wavelab?

I've been told that Cd architect is pretty handy.. but Sonar is capable of mastering?

wavelab was designed specifically for mastering.

again, it's just a tool.
    but it's a damn good one.
    that's what i use

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: Limiting when mixing 2014/08/15 10:24:56 (permalink)
    SONAR is quite capable of "mastering." Stereo editors are better since that is one of the main jobs they are designed for.  They are a better tool for a job.

SF is usually faster to work on stereo files. DAWs will save a project.  SF saves a sound file w/ its attached history.  A clip in SF is usually bigger than a track in a DAW - yea, I know you can save a template or screen set but SF comes up ready.  Maybe I'm just used to SF, but top and tail, splicing etc. are all easier than in SONAR.  It is easier to zoom in on whatever needs editing.  My computer is quicker to perform bounces than going through a DAW.  Finally, you can save CD and MP3 info, as well as notes etc. w/in the file.  Which means CDA is ready to go when you pull a file into the time line. 

Most of the difference is in time and ease and SF is very intuitive.  You don't have to have it, but it helps.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1