Line6 Pod X3 Pro

Author
Adrys
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 73
2008/10/09 11:59:37 (permalink)

Line6 Pod X3 Pro

I've been using a Toneport for a bit now and I've been thinking about upgrading.

These are fairly new, but I'm wondering if anyone has a horror or positive story on these yet?

Troy Watson 
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
Intel i7 960, 12 GB RAM 
Sonar 8.5 Producer
Ibanez and PRS Guitars
Cakewalk A 300 Pro
Line 6 Toneport
Rabid Enthusiasm

5 Replies Related Threads

krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    RE: Line6 Pod X3 Pro 2008/10/09 13:58:06 (permalink)
    I have the regular bean shaped X3 unit. Bought it a couple of months ago and it's sat here unused almost since I got it. I had one of the original Pod Pro rackmount units too. This unit has way more functionality to it than the original Pods but there is also a steeper learning curve due to the amount of futzing you can do with it. If you're a futzer then you'll probably like it. If you're the type who wants simplicity then you might find it a little overboard. What made the original Pods so attractive to so many was the relatively easy to learn and use interface. These new-gen versions aren't as intuitive and require a bit more work to master. But it sounds really good.

So I give points for sound quality and depth of sounds but take away for the learning curve. The problem here is that I have to teach players how to use it. That was relatively easy with the older units. They could get their head around it in a few minutes. These newer units aren't as easy to grasp in a few minutes. But you know if it's just you, you can take your time and learn it and really use it good. I think you'll like it. Don't know if this helps you make a decision or not.

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: Line6 Pod X3 Pro 2008/10/09 14:27:59 (permalink)
    I've thought about upgrading too, but really don't see why. From time to time they add new tones to play with, and you can simulate anything in the POD fairly closely. If you try to use tones in the POD library (with your Toneport), you can't but you are offered several close approximations. Close enough for rock n roll, anyway. I'm an inveterate tweaker, so I've never met a preset I didn't want to alter

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Line6 Pod X3 Pro 2008/10/09 14:38:16 (permalink)
    I've never met a preset I didn't want to alter

That's what they're there for.... I look at a preset as a starting point.... not a destination.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2008/10/09 14:40:28

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    bennym
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: Line6 Pod X3 Pro 2008/10/09 21:39:11 (permalink)
    i have the x3 as well (since last christmas). i must agree that there's alot more to learn with this unit. lots of features and sounds. i mainly got it because it has some good bass presets as well as infinite guitar tones, and i couldn't dial in a good bass sound with the regular pod 2.0. if you have some time to kill and play around with all the features i think it's worth the money for a guitarist that wants to spare his neighbors/family of cranking up the marshalls to record. it also has some vocal presets that i have never tried. in fact it has many features i have never tried, but even with my limited use of it i wouldn't hesitate to recommend it as a good piece of gear.
    The_7th_Samurai
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 39
    RE: Line6 Pod X3 Pro 2008/10/13 15:29:48 (permalink)
    Bit of a difficult thing to determine based on the opinions of others. Tone is ultimately a subjective thing. What sounds great to some may not even be in the ballpark to others. How it sounds live is also usually quite different than how it sounds tracked.

It all depends on what sound you are shooting for. I've owned a lot of modelers over the years (including most recently the POD X3 Live). I've realized that most units have a distinct sound and frequency range that govern their tone to a degree. I like a fairly heavy, loaded sound with punch in the mids as I find it cuts better in recordings and gives you a lot of flexibility in mix options. After tweaking my X3 Live for about a month, I ultimately sold it as it just did not provide the tone I was looking for. The best way to describe it would be that the X3 Live is not a very 'organic' sounding unit (IMO). Also has a fair amount of high-end shrillness or sibilance that can be dialed out to a point.

Bottom line, for me the unit doesn't hold a candle to the sounds I can get with my Rocktron Prophesy. I also have a Mesa High Gain Amp Switch that allows me to blend amps/ processors together. The Chrome Tone plug I have for my VS2480 sounds nice layered with the Prophesy but the POD just didn't add anything useful. The X3 sounded killer in the store through a set of cheap headphones but without a reference point just about any processor can sound good.

I'd recommend trying a few different products before you make your decision. If you can afford it, the Fractal Audio Axe-FX is probably one of the most versatile units on the market today (a bit pricey though). Again, try to nail down the tone YOU want as opposed to what others feel is a great sound.

My 2 cents.
    post edited by The_7th_Samurai - 2008/10/13 15:34:05
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1