Linear Sequencing

Author
skyy38
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2006/09/15 16:48:42 (permalink)

Linear Sequencing

Could someone please explain Linear Sequencing to me as opposed to Pattern Sequencing?Include pictures if you can.I used to do pattern sequencing on an Alesis MMT-8 and I always thought that was the way to go,but a certain keyboard company put linear sequencing as the only option on one of their latest rigs.

I understand that Sonar operates on LS.

Is linear sequencing any better or faster than pattern sequencing? And would linear sequencing be any more difficult on a workstation keyboard?

Thanks!
post edited by skyy38 - 2006/09/15 17:04:09

2 Replies Related Threads

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Linear Sequencing 2006/09/15 19:52:48 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: skyy38

Could someone please explain Linear Sequencing to me as opposed to Pattern Sequencing?Include pictures if you can.I used to do pattern sequencing on an Alesis MMT-8 and I always thought that was the way to go,but a certain keyboard company put linear sequencing as the only option on one of their latest rigs.

I understand that Sonar operates on LS.

Is linear sequencing any better or faster than pattern sequencing? And would linear sequencing be any more difficult on a workstation keyboard?

Thanks!

Pattern based sequencing is works for things that have patterns. For example it would work for a simple drum part but not for a piano part. Think of it this way, a pattern is most likely one or more measures in a music score. If you want to work in patterns in Sonar just copy a measure (or a few) and simply copy them to the position on the timeline you want them. It's the same thing as being able to "point" to a pattern only you get to see them all lined up in a row. To make it easy you can set your "snap to" for selection to measure so you can select in rough blocks just like patterns.

Hardware devices often use patterns because that way it re-uses memory because each pattern is only stored once and the sequence just points to each one when it's time for it to play. On a computer like when using Sonar there is so much memory available there is no reason to do that, so all the midi events are stored in the track and time stamped as to when they play. If you look at them in event view you will see what I mean.

Because songs are linear for the most part and you might have audio tracks that cover a lot of pattern "jumps" it would be confusing to use patterns in a real sequencer like Sonar. It's better to have all the events (notes, etc) layed out in linear along the timeline with the rest of the elements of the song. However, I'm sure there are drum machine software synths that you can get that will let you work in a pattern user interface and simply produce the audio as if it were a Sonar track.
    rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    RE: Linear Sequencing 2006/09/15 20:00:00 (permalink)
    Ah you just took me on a good trip down memory lane when you mentioned the Alesis MMT8.

I used my Alesis up until just a very few years ago. I loved how fast and easy it was to work with. I was stubbornly staying away from Computer sequencers, and even after I was GIven a Cakewalk program, I sneered at it and kept making more music with my MMT8.

But, then I finally, begrudgingly gave it a try. It was a big mess at first. My results were Much sloppier, it seemed so "fiddley" working with a mouse and staring at the screen etc etc.

Well but then the light slowly dawned. It was the pattern based sequencing which I loved and had gotten so used to--like what you're saying. But there always was that issue of when you're putting two patterns up against each other, and sometimes you had to do a lot of editing with that tiny window on the Alesis, moving notes so the rhythm would flow--maybe that didn't happen with you, but it did with me since I rarely would quantize.

Anyway, it's all subjective, and you'd get different feedback from each person you ask. But at this point there is no Way I would want to go back to the MMT8 and all the limitations of pattern sequencing. You can actually adapt to the "new" way of working with linear sequencing in a way that isn't terribly different from what you're used to. Nobody says you have to record MIDI in huge chunks at a time. You can still record a lot of short bits--I often record just two measures at a time. But it's all there on that one track, when I'm working on one instrument's patterns--and you can weld them together in one solid track if you feel better. And you can cut and paste--you can overlap--Basically, your possibilities are WIde open instead of locked into patterns that can't overlap, which in the MMT8 you had to make multiple copies of.

I could go on. There's no way to explain why it's "better"--I think it is Way better, but the main point is, your creativity doesn't have the severe limitations you've been working under.

I've tried to be honest. It Was more difficult for me at first--that big learning curve which you gotta expect when learning software. But there is Zero doubt in my mind that it time Very well spent, getting this way of working at my command.

Sold? I hope so.

Randy
    rbowser

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1