Beepster
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18001
2015/08/23 14:45:46 (permalink)
4.17 (6)

Link Automation Envelopes/Lanes.

Simple concept.

Select an Automation Lane.

Select one or more other automation lanes (in the same track or different tracks).

Result: Adjusting one of any lane in the "Group" of lanes applies the changes to all envelopes in the group.

Create an option to "Remove from Group" that releases a specific envelope from a current automation group (while retaining the changes already made).

Kind of like clip selection groups (KIND of) but for automation lanes/envelopes.

More details and reasonings can be found here...

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Ways-to-linkcreate-automation-envelopes-across-tracks-so-adjusting-one-affects-all-m3275809.aspx

Please please PLEASE consider doing this, guys. It is highly logical and desperately needed (IMO).

Thank you.
post edited by Beepster - 2015/08/23 15:30:35

5 Replies Related Threads

stevec
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: Link Automation Envelopes/Lanes. 2015/08/24 16:42:41 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Yeah, I could probably use something like this.    Sorta like quick grouping envelopes. 

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Beepster
    Re: Link Automation Envelopes/Lanes. 2015/09/11 11:21:26 (permalink)
    stevec
    Yeah, I could probably use something like this.    Sorta like quick grouping envelopes. 

Hi, Steve. Late reply but yeah, kind of except you could keep the group locked. That way if you clear the group (by clicking on other stuff or creating other groups) the envelopes stay linked.

I am however updating this because I was actually under the impression that you COULD quick group envelopes across tracks, and can KIND of QG them but not in any useful way.

Essentially the way the program is currently designed you can indeed create Quick Groups of multiple envelopes across multiple tracks and they, in theory, will all respond to an edit.

Unfortunately there is a very serious limitation to this envelope grouping. What happens is IMMEDIATELY after the first action you make the selection group clears itself automaticially. So you create the quick group by selecting all the lanes/envelopes you want to adjust, click once (and drag for adjustments) and the changes will occur on all the selected lanes/envelopes. However as soon as you release the mouse button all the lanes/envelopes are deselected EXCEPT for the actual lane/envelope you were editing. So you get one edit and then you have to go back and reselect all the lanes envelopes for next edit X however many edits you intend to make.

This also makes it so any envelope edits that require two clicks to cause an action are impossible because after the first click your selctions are cleared.

After about a week of trying to figure out various things for some specific automation I am trying I would actually be ecstatic if we could even do quick grouping (that stays momentarily grouped).

I have tried a bunch of other stuff to workaround these issues as well (such as putting everything into an FX Chain and trying to automate that instead) and discovered even more oddities/bugs/limitations separate from the topic of this request but that could be easily resolved with linking of envelopes.

It's really kind of nuts because I just assumed with how fancy all the automation stuff is in Sonar this type of thing would be Baked in already.

All that is really just to say...

*bump*

;-)
    stevec
    Re: Link Automation Envelopes/Lanes. 2015/09/11 14:32:20 (permalink)
    I hears ya...

I'd imagine the behavior is because once the widget (envelope) is un-selected, which you have to do in order to make the edit, the QG is also disabled.  Particularly since adjusting an envelope line requires the Ctrl key which also happens to be the QG modifier.   So what this would really be is the ability to permanently group envelopes - something I've never tried myself - or somewhat similar to VCAs.     I'm good with either!

SteveC

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Beepster
    Re: Link Automation Envelopes/Lanes. 2015/09/11 15:16:40 (permalink)
    stevec
    I hears ya...

I'd imagine the behavior is because once the widget (envelope) is un-selected, which you have to do in order to make the edit, the QG is also disabled.  Particularly since adjusting an envelope line requires the Ctrl key which also happens to be the QG modifier.   So what this would really be is the ability to permanently group envelopes - something I've never tried myself - or somewhat similar to VCAs.     I'm good with either!

Honestly the behavior is all very confusing to me but yeah... it's likely a logical issue for the coding when you multi select stuff. Does the user want the ENTIRE envelope messed with or just a section, or just a node. I have tried range select stuff and various other things but the fact it all gets released from the group immediately is one issue (which likely needs to occur to avoid other behavior I have not thought of... or maybe it is just something screwy), not having linked controls obey the same envelope (and not having an option overide that) and not being able to simply link stuff adds up to Beeps pulling out his already thinning hair...

and referring to "himself" in the third person which makes Beeps question his own sanity.

lulzity..

Cheers, dude.
    stevec
    Re: Link Automation Envelopes/Lanes. 2015/09/11 18:36:37 (permalink)
    Beepster

....and referring to "himself" in the third person which makes Beeps question his own sanity.

Well, I wasn't going to say anything, but now that you mention it....      

SteveC

Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1