Author
rossipsu1
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1030
2005/02/19 11:35:22 (permalink)

Live Acoustic -- Walk The Line / PLZ Listen

Walk The Line

Hey guys...
I've taken this as far as I can go with the instrument / track separation I have.
I posted another different version of this song a few months ago ...this is new recording.

Please let me know what you think...it's on the bubble for inclusion on the next project and I need to get the mix firmed up.
Just want to know whether it can hold up against other studio tracks.
I can work the bass and to some degree the vocals, although the overheads limit me to some degree.
Looking for mix suggestions as well.
I tried to M/S this track and rebalance the phase issues, but it took away a lot of the life, so I left it as is.

Thanks, any comments appreciated.

Dave

post edited by rossipsu1 - 2005/02/19 21:11:48

8 Replies Related Threads

borgnine
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 38
    RE: Live Acoustic -- Walk The Line / PLZ Listen 2005/02/19 17:35:05 (permalink)
    Wow, sounds like i'm sitting front center stage!

I can't give much input (i'm a newbie) except MAYBE the lead vocals could be more up front.
    (I don't know how much room you have to work with.)

Great live recording... How'd ya do that!?

b9

rossipsu1
    RE: Live Acoustic -- Walk The Line / PLZ Listen 2005/02/20 08:28:05 (permalink)
    Great live recording... How'd ya do that!?

7 mic's and mobile Sonar. Primary acoustic mic's are the Oktava Mk012's...I freakin' LOVE those mic's. Overheads are NT4 stereo pair, then a few BLUE mic's on the vocals and a C1 as a room mic, backed way up. Oh yeah, and a great room.

Thanks for listening...

post edited by rossipsu1 - 2005/02/20 08:36:03
    michael japan
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5252
    RE: Live Acoustic -- Walk The Line / PLZ Listen 2005/02/20 09:07:19 (permalink)
    guitars sound great David, but they are too good. There is always that balance in a live recording, and if you want to have a black belt in keeping it real I think you are going to have to sacrifice them a bit. They sound like studio, which makes me wonder if the overheads are too loud. There is no presence in the voices and bass so they would need to come down in order to make it a balanced recording. Sometimes just a couple of mics right in front will cpature the moment more than everything going direct. I just made a video and ended up taking the live sound over the direct sound for that very reason-the balance was so far off. But in your case, if you do indeed have some separation get the voices and bass upfront about 5db. I've used the waves something or other for that (stereo widener?)-can't remember the name-only used it once because you can pull the image more towards the front, back of the room, etc.

Windows 10/64 bit/i7-6560U/SSD/16GB RAM/Cakelab/Sonar Platinum/Pro Tools/Studio 1/Studio 192/DP88/MOTU AVB/Grace M101/AKG Various/Blue Woodpecker/SM81x2/Yamaha C1L Grand Piano/CLP545/MOX88/MOTIF XS Rack Rack/MX61/Korg CX3/Karma/Scarbee EP88s/ Ivory/Ravenscroft Piano/JBL4410/NS10m/Auratones/Omnisphere/Play Composers Selection/Waves/Komplete Kontrol
    ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: Live Acoustic -- Walk The Line / PLZ Listen 2005/02/20 09:09:48 (permalink)
    Overall, sounds really good - has a real live sound. I agree the lead vocal could come up and maybe just a little less C1 room mic.

You posted this before as a studio version, right? I like this version a lot more.

Your bass player does great lines, this one reminds me of XTC, Mayor of Simpleton; really active, pushing and interesting (especially in the chorus and post-chorus). Is that an acoustic bass guitar?
    post edited by ed_mcg - 2005/02/20 09:23:43
    rossipsu1
    RE: Live Acoustic -- Walk The Line / PLZ Listen 2005/02/20 09:33:38 (permalink)
    I just made a video and ended up taking the live sound over the direct sound for that very reason-the balance was so far off.

Hey Mike, thanks for the thoughts.

Actually, everything was mic'd for this performance...the only DI that really occurs is during the lead in the left hand channel. Kind of a melodic overdub. The bass is both DI and mic. Mitch's SWR amp is being picked up off the overheads and we took a DI signal off the amp into Sonar.

I can try to bring down the guitars a bit, but there is the standard vocal / guitar bleed on both mic's since they were so close...but I think I can still get those vocals a bit more forward.

The overheads may actually be a bit too loud as well...
    I tried to use the S1 and M/S matrix for this, but being live it has some phase issues that I didn't want to pronounce. Figure I'd save that for the mastering guys.

Thanks, you've given me some things to listen for.
    post edited by rossipsu1 - 2005/02/20 09:48:18
    rossipsu1
    RE: Live Acoustic -- Walk The Line / PLZ Listen 2005/02/20 09:39:20 (permalink)
    Your bass player does great lines, this one reminds me of XTC, Mayor of Simpleton; really active, pushing and interesting (especially in the chorus and post-chorus). Is that an acoustic bass guitar?

Ed...

Mitch Cojocariu is my bass player and I can't compliment him enough. Type of guy who walks in and can track 6 songs in a day and and can give you all A list takes...he's quite amazing.

The bass is not acoustic, but it's going through my acoustic amp...SWR California Blonde, which softens / mellows it out a bit.

Seems people want more vocals...I'll see what I can do.

Thanks

m11
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 417
    RE: Live Acoustic -- Walk The Line / PLZ Listen 2005/02/20 09:51:08 (permalink)
    Dave,

This is a great song and a great performance.

I agree with Michael, the guitars sound great, but they don't sound live.
    The vocals sound a bit thin and in the back compared to the guitars. There is much more 'room' at the vocals than at the guitars.
    I think the vocals need compression, combined with some expansion to prevent the room getting too big.

Greets
    Melf

rossipsu1
    RE: Live Acoustic -- Walk The Line / PLZ Listen 2005/02/20 16:26:59 (permalink)
    I agree with Michael, the guitars sound great, but they don't sound live.
    The vocals sound a bit thin and in the back compared to the guitars. There is much more 'room' at the vocals than at the guitars.
    I think the vocals need compression, combined with some expansion to prevent the room getting too big.

Melf...
    interesting thought about the 'room' on the vocals. I actually do have reverb on the vocal bus...maybe I should just nix that all together. Might bring things out front a bit as well. Reason I put the reverb on is because Paul's vocals are a bit too loud for a 2nd harmony, and when I lower his vocal volume his guitar volume goes down too.... The reverb seemed to wash the harmonies a bit.

I've tried to compress the vocals a bit without much success. The guitar bleed seems to get in the way to get things correctly compressed.

Thanks for the thoughts...

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1