"Live" recording best bet?

Author
stratmanforever
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 453
2008/10/27 18:13:07 (permalink)

"Live" recording best bet?

It seems to me to get the cleanest sound that I record each part ,vocal,bass, guitar, drums, and keys etc, with 1 run thru on each instrument. I've played with loops and sticking this here and there but the noises distortion popping and wierdness factor gets worse the more I add to a project. I started writing out the music and parts and thats made it much easier . All the effects are from my equipment, amps,guitars, and so far nothing from vst's and such. Sure wish I had a bass though cuz the keyboard samples just don't sound quite right.

[link=http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=877045][/link]

13 Replies Related Threads

FlySig
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 142
    RE: "Live" recording best bet? 2008/10/27 19:03:56 (permalink)
    I'm not sure if you are talking about recording a live performance, or recording real instruments vs midi generated instruments, or recording one track at a time vs all at once.

Checkout my songs at http://www.soundclick.com/zozobra
    stratmanforever
    RE: "Live" recording best bet? 2008/10/27 19:07:26 (permalink)
    I have had the best sound by recording sampled drums ,from my keyboard, first. Then bass, with keys. Then guitar. then vocals. Each one from start to finish.

stratmanforever
    RE: "Live" recording best bet? 2008/10/27 19:30:36 (permalink)
    what i meant by "live" was recording each part without stopping. Then rewinding to the beginning and doing the next instrument. With no effects, just line-in from my amp or keyboard.

SteveStrummerUK
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: "Live" recording best bet? 2008/10/28 05:25:55 (permalink)

Hi Bill

When it comes to recording my guitars and bass, I must admit I like to get the whole song down in one take - not necessarily for practical reasons but I just think it sort of sounds better, more 'flowing' if you catch my drift.

With lead guitar, I'll record each break separately until I get one that's good enough to keep. If there's maybe one or two bum notes in a fairly long solo I'll 'cheat' and use the Punch-In feature to put them right, but if (after a few attempts) I can hear any artefact or click that gives the overdub away, I'll go back and re-record the passage it's in, i.e. between the nearest two 'silent' points either side.

If you can give us a few more details about the pops and other noises you're getting Bill, we may be able to help there - it may be something that's easily cured.

Steve

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

stratmanforever
    RE: "Live" recording best bet? 2008/10/28 10:39:06 (permalink)
    hi Steve, I have so many question's. The 1st recording I did on GTP2 went without any problems. I laid down 64 bars of drums, rewound and did the bass and guitars next. It has no dressing up. When I got GTP3 I dicided to use loops and over dubs but haven't finished anything because of problems with sync, timing between sections, distortion, etc. I carefully read the manual and help but nothing works the way it should.

There is a delay of about a full half second before i see the sound register in the meter. When I turn off the audio engine button Nothing appears but i still have sound. It didn't do that in GTP2.

Remember when I was trying to get the screen that showed just the 4 channels and you told me bout shift s, f ,and shift f. well I still can't find it . I feel like such a maroon.

btw, would you mind sending me you bass for a few months? THANKS!!!

stratmanforever
    RE: "Live" recording best bet? 2008/10/28 10:58:29 (permalink)
    there was a sreen you showed me when i asked bout templates that had what looked like wave forms . you told me to turn off the grid and spilt the track and you showd a picture that I haven't seen. How did you get that screen?

FlySig
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 142
    RE: "Live" recording best bet? 2008/10/28 11:52:43 (permalink)
    Recording clean signals is usually best, then add echo, reverb, eq etc later using VSTs. Sometimes I do like to record the guitar using an effects pedal like tube distortion. The VST plugins don't seem to sound as real as a pedal or preamp. For acoustic guitar I will sometimes use a compressor, but the VST compressors are really pretty good.

My girls prefer to record a whole song all at once, because they want their recordings to sound like their live performance. i.e. they don't want a recording all gussied up with effects and "improvements". They get away with it because they can get a good performance, whereas I tend to have to retake various tracks. We recorded one of their restaurant gigs through the mixer two weeks ago. It came out pretty good! It is a big challenge to get two instruments and two vocals mixed properly for a single take recording.

I can't help you with your questions about the different screens, but I do understand your frustrations! The answers really are in the manual and in the help menu in GTP3, generally speaking. The problem is knowing what it is you are looking for so that you can find it. The terminology is undefined. One of my biggest gripes with GTP3.

In any case, try sitting down with the manual and plodding through it line by line in front of your computer running GTP3. A few run throughs will help things start to make some sense.

Checkout my songs at http://www.soundclick.com/zozobra
    Doc_Hollingsworth
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2289
    RE: "Live" recording best bet? 2008/10/29 09:18:47 (permalink)
    Bill,

There seems to be several issues that you need to tackle. Quick question what are your system specs? Avail able RAM, Processor and speed, sound card etc. I think with a little bit of tweaking this can all fall into place for you.

Doc
    MacBook Pro 15.4 Retina (mid 2015)
    Focusrite Clarett 8PreX & OctoPre
    Logic Pro X 10.2.4/Reason 9.2/Pro Tools 12.7
    Long haired dachshund - requisite studio dog (no short hairs need apply - read the sign)

stratmanforever
    RE: "Live" recording best bet? 2008/10/30 14:25:31 (permalink)
    thanks doc,
    Remember I don't know very much about computers.

Win XP Pro Ver 2002 Service Pack 3 Pentium 4 Cpu 3.20 GHz
    1 GB Ram
    SigmatelAudio Ver A05 OEM Ver 5.10.04823

I have so many questions.
    For example when I start a new project isn't there supposed to be a dialog box that pops up after I click new?

stratmanforever
    RE: "Live" recording best bet? 2008/10/30 14:29:18 (permalink)
    I put together a guitar part (song's chord progression) this morning with my "Yari" classical. I'm chomping at the bit to get started with all this. I've been in limbo for a half a decade!

stratmanforever
    RE: "Live" recording best bet? 2008/10/30 15:51:40 (permalink)
    Thanks again Doc. I downloaded Line 6 Monkey from the other thread bout optimizing my win XP. I'm not sure if I need it though
    post edited by stratmanforever - 2008/10/30 15:59:44

Doc_Hollingsworth
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2289
    RE: "Live" recording best bet? 2008/10/30 18:07:15 (permalink)
    Bill,

I think it will provide some help.

Doc
    MacBook Pro 15.4 Retina (mid 2015)
    Focusrite Clarett 8PreX & OctoPre
    Logic Pro X 10.2.4/Reason 9.2/Pro Tools 12.7
    Long haired dachshund - requisite studio dog (no short hairs need apply - read the sign)

SteveStrummerUK
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: "Live" recording best bet? 2008/10/31 09:34:14 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Doc_Hollingsworth

There seems to be several issues that you need to tackle. Quick question what are your system specs? Avail able RAM, Processor and speed, sound card etc. I think with a little bit of tweaking this can all fall into place for you.

Hi there Bill

Doc's got a point here mate - it's getting a little difficult to know where to start, you seem to have a lot of issues but they can all be sorted out I've no doubt.

Now you've reposted your specs, I'd suggest you note down all the niggles and problems you've been having and list them all together in one post - it would probably be best to do this in a brand new thread with a self-explanatoty title so guys just passing through will be aware of it.

Then we can work through them, ticking 'em off one by one as we hopefully get them all sorted out

Steve

post edited by SteveStrummerUK - 2008/10/31 09:40:41

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1