Helpful ReplyLogic Pro X

Author
Dave King
Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2862
2017/12/02 22:46:02 (permalink)

Logic Pro X

Hey,

I'm close to making some big changes and making the jump from Windows to Mac.  I wonder how Logic Pro X compares to Sonar Platinum.  Anyone have any experience with it? I'd love to hear your thoughts.  Thanks!

Dave King
www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
StudioCat PC
Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
RAM 8 GB
M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Logic Pro X 2017/12/02 23:01:40 (permalink)
Logic X is a greaf DAW. It does not gave ARA/ Melodyne integration, but they have their own version of pitch correction that is suitable for most needs. If you have more advanced needs in that area, you would likely need upgrade on Melodyne anyway.

Logic has a solid set of stock instruments. I would rank the rompler style instruments that come with their sampler exs24 as being a notch above what comes with dimension pro. The rest of instruments includes an assortment of polysynths, monosynths and great drum plugin with an absolutely ugly interface. Ultrabeat allows you to to combine samples with synthesized drums and noise generator. It also has step sequencer.

Effects are also solid and cover most basis. I like quadcurve better than stock logic plugin, but it is very solid and on par with most DAWs.

Overall i find logic to be most like sonic than any DAW I have tried.
markno999
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1450
Re: Logic Pro X 2017/12/02 23:46:52 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Fleer 2017/12/08 02:49:28
Dave,

I started using Logic Pro X about 2 or 3 years ago and find it to be an excellent DAW.   I do not prefer Mac over Windows and use both platforms.  Also continue to use Sonar for some projects.  I know there are a lot of strong opinions on Mac vs Windows so just want to point out my opinions have nothing to do with one OS platform being better than another, simply what works best for me.    

Running Logic Pro X on my MacBook Pro with Apollo Quad Thunderbolt.   I do not have the frequent lockups or lost work (white screens) I was having with Sonar.   That was my primary reason for looking at alternatives.    The workflow of Logic suits my preferences as well.  The stock instruments and mixing tools are very good, you get a ton of Apple Loops and MIDI loops as well.    Lot of usable track and instrument presets.   Track Stacks are very useful as well, there are a number of YouTube videos on Track Stacks but essentially you are able to quickly organize your individual tracks as a simple folder or as a Bus.   The Track Stack buses are great for treating like instruments, i.e. guitars, bass, drums, vocals.   Same thing as sending to a bus but they make it very convenient to set it up and manage.

Also like the screen sizing options.   There is a easily accessible vertical and horizontal slider at the top of the screen for zooming in and out on your work.   Never did like the magnifying glass selectors for zooming in Sonar.   For me, that is a big thing as my up-close eyesight isn't that great:)   Do a lot of tempo mapping and find that easier to do in Logic as well.    It boils down to personal preference at the end of the day.   I found Logic Pro to more closely align with my workflow preferences.  I find things easier to do in Logic than I did in Sonar.  It took about 2 weeks to become as fluent in Logic as I was in Sonar.     There are also a lot of video tutorials available for learning how to do specific tasks in Logic.   Hope this is useful.

Regards
Rain
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re: Logic Pro X 2017/12/03 02:42:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Fleer 2017/12/08 02:49:19
I switched to Logic in 2010 and never looked back. Although the term powerhouse is used to describe most DAW software nowadays, I have always felt that what distinguished Logic was not its endless list of features but the elegant integration of those ideas.

Unlike many of its competitors who sometimes leave you feeling that things are sometimes just grafted on top of each other, the people behind Logic always strive to integrate features in the most seamless manner. 

For exemple, and not too surprisingly, most DAWs have emulated the unified GUI design first implemented by Logic (Cakewalk called it Skylight). Because that design is simply more efficient and elegant. 

Integration is a key word with Apple, as you may know - and to some, that can be a deterrent. But that philosophy is one that really pays off when it comes to DAWs in my opinion.

In terms of features, Logic also comes on top of the list as far as I'm concerned. I barely ever use 3rd party plug-ins, and the ones I use are tools that I've worked with for years before I switched, like Rapture-Dimension and Zeta - they're just part of my palette of sounds. 

In fact, one of the things that I so appreciate about Logic is that it is a self-contained solution. I don't know how many pieces of music I've written and produced using nothing but Logic's bundled sounds and plug-ins and my own custom samples. There's simply nothing else like EXS-24 and its integration to Logic. 

The rest of the instruments provided cover a wide-range of territory, from subtractive to wavetable to physical modeling and beyond. Remember: we're talking about a DAW that has Alchemy bundled with it! You have your B3 and organs covered, a top-notch Rhodes emulation, a clavinet and so on.

Did I mention Alchemy

One of the areas I never imagined I could change my workflow was drums - I couldn't imagine myself without EZ and Superior Drummer. But Drum Kit Designer is so darn good that I now use it instead of those in many case - and when I use SD, most of the time, I'll also layer a few tracks on top using Drum Kit Designer.

As for audio processing... The one thing lacking would probably be a top notch algorithmic reverb. Impulse is more than covered. But I still use a couple of 3rd party reverbs - Valhalla, Lexicon, Exponential Audio R2.

Delay Designer is a monster, and I don't think there's anything like it on the market since the demise of NI's Spektral Delay. If you don't need that level of complexity, you also get series of traditional delays. The compressor offers a variety of modes covering all the classics - and quite convincingly. The EQ comes with the standard spectrum analyzer and a non linear version. All the basics are covered and you also have a bunch of less orthodox tools thrown in,  such as a terrific Ring Modulator, Leslie emulation, creative filters and so on.

Honestly, they're practically all that I use. Occasionally, I will slap an algorithmic reverb on a bus or such. But 99% of the audio processing is done with bundled plug-ins - even bus compression. Logic's compression can do a fine job emulating the classic SSL.

See that's the cool thing for me - I'm actually always looking forward to needing less and less 3rd party plug-ins, and as little as I used when I started using Logic, over the years, that number actually decreased because those tools were replaced with native versions. That means I'm not wasting time upgrading and installing and authorizing all those different plug-ins with their different copy protection scheme, requiring me to download and install more software just for copy protection sake... It's all in Logic, and it's all available in the App store. 

P.S. Did I mention Alchemy?

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Logic Pro X 2017/12/03 07:02:05 (permalink)
I love delay designer. Have been wanting something close to it for Windows
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Logic Pro X 2017/12/03 19:00:03 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Fleer 2017/12/08 02:49:14
Logic is a magnificent and deep program.  It has a pedigree that goes back well further than Sonar as well.  It has been refined and is way powerful.  I have been using it lately in my work situation with the latest version running on a powerful 27" iMac.  It looks incredible to start with.  These new generation iMac Pros that are coming are going to be super excellent as well.

The instruments are very good (yes Alchemy is fantastic I love it!) The native plugins are extended, high quality and super powerful as well.  Midi wise it is deep and powerful like Cubase.  Very fast latencies can be had via thunderbolt and some interfaces like Focusrite Clarett series.  Studio One Quantum is looking like super fast latency being just over 1 ms.

Studio One also runs on a Mac.  Imagine having both of them installed on the same machine.  I am thinking of doing this for both personal studio reasons and work reasons.  Logic is very affordable as well. 

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
Dave King
Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2862
Re: Logic Pro X 2017/12/03 19:37:39 (permalink)
Sounds good.  I'm about ready to the pull the trigger on a new iMac with Logic (and Final Cut Pro X).  From what I hear, it sounds like the iMac will be quiet enough to use as a DAW for tracking in the same room it is located.  I get concerned about background noise especially when recording vocals and acoustic instruments.  

Thanks.

Dave King
www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
StudioCat PC
Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
RAM 8 GB
M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Logic Pro X 2017/12/03 19:50:18 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Fleer 2017/12/08 02:48:56
The latest iMac is dead silent.  Might even be a SSD not sure.  Even my 2012 iMac runs silent.  Last week I did a 24 track recording using Logic on a very hot day in a very hot room. The iMac was on all day and barely got above cool in its temperature.  I have never encountered a computer running this cool in such a hot environment.  It was like Roger Federer.  Did not even break a sweat. 

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
Rain
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re: Logic Pro X 2017/12/03 21:20:06 (permalink)
I have heard my iMac once since I bought it in 2014 - it was a few weeks ago after I finally decided to install a recent version of OSX on a second partition. At some point it rebooted and the fan kicked in, blowing a dust cloud. I guess I'd not been behind the computer in quite a while... Otherwise, it is dead silent. My external HD is noisier than my computer - and it is pretty quiet.

In fact, I'd almost forgotten how noisy computers could be until I hooked up the Alienware laptop a friend lent me to retrieve old Sonar projects. That's when I realized that I'd never actually heard my iMac.

Jeff - I used to own Studio One and sold my license a few years ago, but I somehow missed it a bit recently so on Black Friday I purchased Artist (I may upgrade eventually). Let me say that if I needed to find an alternative to Logic, Studio One would be it, and without an hesitation. I really love that program, how tight and fast it is. And the plug-ins - everything form that little unassuming channel strip to the GUI of the EQ which has got to be my favorite all-around.  I don't know what voodoo is behind those but making things sound good has never been easier. 

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
Fleer
  • Total Posts : 8715
Re: Logic Pro X 2017/12/08 02:49:56 (permalink)
Someone mentioned Alchemy? Just sayin' 

"We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl" (Wish You Were Here)
Ruben
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 472
Re: Logic Pro X 2017/12/08 05:50:21 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby GregRband 2017/12/08 05:57:20
Dave King
Hey,

I'm close to making some big changes and making the jump from Windows to Mac.  I wonder how Logic Pro X compares to Sonar Platinum.  Anyone have any experience with it? I'd love to hear your thoughts.  Thanks!

Most folks here seem to be in agreement that Logic is a solid program, and I also agree. The program is very stable, the built-in plugins sound very good, and the virtual instruments are simply great. But it is very different from Sonar - learning the way that Logic works and does things is almost like starting over, even if you've spent years with Sonar. I'm not saying that to dissuade you - going with Logic would be a good choice if you go Mac - but prepare yourself for a learning curve. Just something to keep in mind.

GregRband
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 107
Re: Logic Pro X 2017/12/08 06:02:53 (permalink)
If you have a Mac, and are even remotely considering and open to Logic, you pretty much cant go wrong. Its stable, fully featured, affordable, and constantly getting better and better with free per update content.... and even Abbey Road Studio's recently added Logic to the available workstations there! That in itself speaks Higher than any forum guru, magazine article, or youtube review imo.  I am fortunate to have access to both an older iMac (Logic/Garageband) and PC (various Daws that appeal to me). No wrong choices these days long as you don't jump in with eyes closed..... if something appeals or works for you, go for it, nobody else can tell you differently.  
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1