Lonely Heart (Original Song) Mix Adjusted

Author
CSW
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 156
2017/06/18 21:55:35 (permalink)

Lonely Heart (Original Song) Mix Adjusted

Hi Group,

Here's another song that Robin and I finished up recently.
Takes so dang long to finish these up.  
==================================================================================
Mix Tweaked: Pulled vocals back into the mix.  Brought the Bass, Keys and dirty Guitars up for a slightly more aggressive chorus and bridge.

Also just purchased a plugin by Softube called "Tape"  Put that on the master bus and used it to enhance the high end of the mix.
I like that plugin so far.... 

Let me know what you think.

Craig
================================================================================== 
https://soundcloud.com/user-166430027/lonely-heart

Please let me know what you think about the mix and the song.

Thanks
Craig
post edited by CSW - 2017/06/20 04:02:28

19 Replies Related Threads

emeraldsoul
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1858
    Re: Lonely Heart (Original Song) 2017/06/18 22:12:12 (permalink)
    It sounds very polished, and vocal-centered. So you are shooting for pop-hit country rock? This could get you there.

Mix-wise, the vocals are all there and guitars sound really pro. I'd try a little louder on the bass guitar. And the organ part is so low it hardly has a reason to be there - you might try bumping that up a little too.

But you are clearly putting the vocals waaay out in front so maybe that reflects your other mixing choices.

So I think it's very well done love-pop! Vocals are great. But it does cover the territory and the theme that have been trod upon before by a crapload gazillion of other songs, and as such it's a one-and-done listen for me. My .02 cents - other people might be more in the mood for formulaic love songs than I am today. Doubtless, that's true!

No denying your polish and the art of mixcraft - very well done there. You clearly know what you are doing, and the vocals are great.

cheers,
    -Tom

A work in regress:
    www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
    A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
    Kilometers Davis - video   audio
    Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
    The Sweet Slow Fade - video
    Frugaard
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 104
    Re: Lonely Heart (Original Song) 2017/06/18 22:13:10 (permalink)
    Great song! Sounds good on these speakers. I really like the vocals, they fit perfectly together! Like your other songs, you manage to get some good power in the chorus, and I love it! Takes me back to my younger days when I was listening to power ballads on my discman 

Great job!

- Øyvind
    String Jammer
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 487
    Re: Lonely Heart (Original Song) 2017/06/19 10:41:03 (permalink)
    Very nice all around!
    dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re: Lonely Heart (Original Song) 2017/06/19 12:49:38 (permalink)
    CSW
    Hi Group,

Thanks
    Craig

I actually don't hear the country-rock reference. To me, this hearkens back to 80's Pop Rock, like Pat Benatar and Gino Vanelli (Black Cars era). The vocals sound great, as usual, maybe just a tad too far out front. Guitars are awesome. The whole thing is mixed very well!

And yes, they certainly do take a lot of time to finish, lol...

Regards,
    Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    Mannynyagain
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 140
    Re: Lonely Heart (Original Song) 2017/06/19 14:16:49 (permalink)
    Sounds great to me - bass really pulls everything together. Vocals are outstanding. Very pop with a hint of country and that's your intention I'm sure. Fun song, good driving material. Like it a lot.

Hello from New York
    My Music 
    philz
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re: Lonely Heart (Original Song) 2017/06/19 14:46:22 (permalink)
    Good, solid tune and a really great job on the performances and the mix.  Could be a matter of personal taste, but I would consider backing off the compression on the vocals just a bit.  
    berlymahn
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 257
    Re: Lonely Heart (Original Song) 2017/06/19 15:27:26 (permalink)
    Nice work.  Love the vocals and harmonies!

Jim Wim  
    On Soundcloud as: Dammit Eugene / Scenic Mental Detours / Narrow Now
    https://soundcloud.com/dammit-eugene/tracks
    Jesse Screed
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1158
    Re: Lonely Heart (Original Song) 2017/06/19 19:09:12 (permalink)
    Wow!

very nice piece.  i find the two vocals interesting, you all work well together.  nice solo on the guitar.  just really nice work, well crafted.

Jesse Q. Screed
    CSW
    Re: Lonely Heart (Original Song) 2017/06/19 21:59:16 (permalink)
    emeraldsoul
    It sounds very polished, and vocal-centered. So you are shooting for pop-hit country rock? This could get you there.

Mix-wise, the vocals are all there and guitars sound really pro. I'd try a little louder on the bass guitar. And the organ part is so low it hardly has a reason to be there - you might try bumping that up a little too.

But you are clearly putting the vocals waaay out in front so maybe that reflects your other mixing choices.

So I think it's very well done love-pop! Vocals are great. But it does cover the territory and the theme that have been trod upon before by a crapload gazillion of other songs, and as such it's a one-and-done listen for me. My .02 cents - other people might be more in the mood for formulaic love songs than I am today. Doubtless, that's true!

No denying your polish and the art of mixcraft - very well done there. You clearly know what you are doing, and the vocals are great.

cheers,
    -Tom

Thanks for the insight Tom,

You're right on about the lyrical content.  I wrote this song sometime ago and I'm too damn lazy to try and do anything else with the lyrics. I've been getting feedback  that the vocals are too outfront and after listening to it today I agree with that.  I'm gonna see if I can dial them back a bit. There's actually some pretty heavy guitar stuff in the background that I didn't bring forward that changes the feel of the song somewhat. I had an earlier mix that was "tougher" sounding than this one.... I'm gonna try and bring some of those elements back. It's a crazy balancing act.

Craig

Craig
    CSW
    Re: Lonely Heart (Original Song) 2017/06/19 22:01:21 (permalink)
    Frugaard
    Great song! Sounds good on these speakers. I really like the vocals, they fit perfectly together! Like your other songs, you manage to get some good power in the chorus, and I love it! Takes me back to my younger days when I was listening to power ballads on my discman 

Great job!

- Øyvind

Thanks Øyvind

I'm glad you liked it.
    Yep.... I can't escape the 80s...I've tried but it's futile at this point.
    CSW
    Re: Lonely Heart (Original Song) 2017/06/19 22:01:49 (permalink)
    String Jammer
    Very nice all around!

Thanks String Jammer!
    CSW
    Re: Lonely Heart (Original Song) 2017/06/19 22:08:15 (permalink)
    dcumpian
    CSW
    Hi Group,

Thanks
    Craig

I actually don't hear the country-rock reference. To me, this hearkens back to 80's Pop Rock, like Pat Benatar and Gino Vanelli (Black Cars era). The vocals sound great, as usual, maybe just a tad too far out front. Guitars are awesome. The whole thing is mixed very well!

Regards,
    Dan

Thanks Dan,

I'm wondering too, what about the song gives of a country vibe.
    I remember picking up a Gino Vanelli album in 79.  I think it had "I just want to Stop" on it. That's a masterpiece... and his voice was truly amazing. The rest of the album seemed like a bunch of session musicians going thru the motions.... but they we're so far ahead of me ... musically that I couldn't play the stuff.

Craig
    CSW
    Re: Lonely Heart (Original Song) 2017/06/19 22:10:31 (permalink)
    Mannynyagain
    Sounds great to me - bass really pulls everything together. Vocals are outstanding. Very pop with a hint of country and that's your intention I'm sure. Fun song, good driving material. Like it a lot.

Thanks Mannynyagain! 

I do like the bass too.  I had to replay that bass part about three times to get it right. 
    What about the song has a hint of country? I've lost all perspective on it.

Craig
    CSW
    Re: Lonely Heart (Original Song) 2017/06/19 22:14:01 (permalink)
    philz
    Good, solid tune and a really great job on the performances and the mix.  Could be a matter of personal taste, but I would consider backing off the compression on the vocals just a bit.  

Thank you philz,

You know....  I wrestle with the vocals on every song. I do have redundant compressors that I could remove from the vocal chain. I should focus more on gain staging too.

Craig 
    CSW
    Re: Lonely Heart (Original Song) 2017/06/19 22:15:51 (permalink)
    berlymahn
    Nice work.  Love the vocals and harmonies!

Thanks berlymahn!
    CSW
    Re: Lonely Heart (Original Song) 2017/06/19 22:22:44 (permalink)
    Jesse Screed
    Wow!

very nice piece.  i find the two vocals interesting, you all work well together.  nice solo on the guitar.  just really nice work, well crafted.

Jesse Q. Screed

Thanks Jesse,

Robin and I seem to be a good blend I've heard.
    She's a much much better singer than I, and she's the final line of defense for when I go off on a ridiculous, trite or just bad tangent as far as singing goes.  

She let's me know something really sucks by using the phrase "sounds like something Debbie Boone would sing" . Pretty much nips it in the bud right there!  I instantly hit delete and never go back to that idea!

Craig
    dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re: Lonely Heart (Original Song) 2017/06/20 01:35:57 (permalink)
    CSW
    dcumpian
    CSW
    Hi Group,

Thanks
    Craig

Regards,
    Dan

Thanks Dan,

I'm wondering too, what about the song gives of a country vibe.
    I remember picking up a Gino Vanelli album in 79.  I think it had "I just want to Stop" on it. That's a masterpiece... and his voice was truly amazing. The rest of the album seemed like a bunch of session musicians going thru the motions.... but they we're so far ahead of me ... musically that I couldn't play the stuff.

Craig

Gino in the mid-80's was very different. More pop rock mix than the ballad/prog stuff he did earlier.

Regards,
    Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    stevec
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: Lonely Heart (Original Song) 2017/06/28 19:00:37 (permalink)
    Nice one!   Poppy, yes, but still has a good rock edge.   I'm hearing something like a blend of .38 Special and 80's Heart.  

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

CSW
    Re: Lonely Heart (Original Song) 2017/06/28 22:50:13 (permalink)
    Thanks Steve.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1