Long recording - split or not? - suggestions very welcome

Author
paulfurze
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 27
2011/05/03 06:31:27 (permalink)

Long recording - split or not? - suggestions very welcome

Hello Sonar people... your views please....

What we've got.
Last w/e I used sonar to record a show.
We took 10 tracks from the main desk.
At the same time we ran a stand alone video recorder.

The video has been imported into sonar and the audio 'aligned' with it.
But now I have 10 tracks of audio that are about 1.5 hours long, every song was done by a different band and we have 20 songs.

As each band had different players the levels are different and the EQ etc needs to be changed band by band. I see three possible approaches and wondered if any of you agree or maybe would suggest alternatives.

1) Use automation to change effects etc as the tracks run.

2) Create seperate tracks for each song.
This would result is 80 (4x20) tracks which I think is more than sonar can handle and will result in a lot of efx processing for effects that are only used for a short time with the song they are on.

3) Create a seperate project for each song. Cut and export the relevent bits from the source material. Downside is lining it all back up to the video after.

All suggestions very welcome.

Thanks, Paul.

7 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Long recording - split or not? - suggestions very welcome 2011/05/03 08:17:55 (permalink)
    Man that sounds like a lot of work either way....

I don't know too much about video editors, but this sounds like a good time to have one.

What YOU need to do is figure out FIRST.....exactly what you want to accomplish. Do you want one big DVD type file or do you want individual files of the bands?  Is this a labor of love or are you getting paid for it? Ask all the questions now and then determine the direction.

In my mind, splitting the whole show into the individual song/performances will make it easier to work on and get the EQ and levels right. Make each one a separate project so you can do the proper work in the tunes. A good video editor will allow you to sync the music back to the video properly. Still, 20 songs is a huge amount of work and will take some time, unless you have help.

With 20 songs, it might be a good idea to listen objectively to the performance as a whole on the video you shot and then choose the best songs..... if that is not an option, take them one song at a time and work through them. A good video editor will make it easy to reassemble the tracks with fade in and all the fancy things that the editor allows, so unless continuity is critical.... that's how I would approach this, but I have never attempted anything like this so what do I know? 

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Long recording - split or not? - suggestions very welcome 2011/05/03 10:49:05 (permalink)
    I would split them into projects - an 1 and 1/2 is long for mixing a "song."   Just leave enough overlap so you can overlap the projects.

And yea, a video editor for the final assembly would be good.  SOny's VEgas studio version is cheap and would work well.  Mix the songs in Sonar and re-assemble them in Vegas w/ the original video.  I don't know if it comes with the DVD Architect, but you need something to burn each of the song's with markers.  DVDA will do that and give you a menu, too.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    paulfurze
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 27
    Re:Long recording - split or not? - suggestions very welcome 2011/05/04 03:44:26 (permalink)
    Thanks for the responses.
    I do have a video editor that I'll use at the end to 'polish the video' and add all the fades and textual stuff at the end.

Its always tricky aliging the video and sound. We do have some marker points in it though not exactly clapperboards but loud drum count clicks.

It'll all end up on one video. Its somewhat worse than I described as there are two sets, although the 2nd set was only 50mins long. It may end up as either two videos or a 'Best of' sorta thing.

Thanks again.
    Paul.

Oh and no not getting paid. But I've just moved up from version sonar 8.5 to X1 and though (maybe wrongly now) that this was a good way to find my way around X1. 
    digi2ns
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2694
    Re:Long recording - split or not? - suggestions very welcome 2011/05/04 09:34:58 (permalink)
    If all the levels stayed the same for each band with each band setting their own levels,
    Id put each band on their own tracks and create busses for each instrument. Then add markers at the beginning of each song so you can jump to and from as needed using the drop down in the Markers Tool Bar.

If you have the need to break them out individually, determine how many busses it will take to make it happen. (ie: If you are happy with a guitar in 4 songs-1 Bus for those tracks and add the individual FX on the that Bus- and so on) 
    For the ones that will be similar you can copy/insert multiple identical tracks/duplicated from one already setup eliminating lots of duplicate work setting up tracks. (Make sure all the Outputs/Sends, etc... are what they need to be before inserting the tracks). Once you have your tracks inserted, Just split the tracks at the beginning and end of the songs, LASSO and drag them down to the new tracks.

MIKE

--Dell Studio XPS I7/870 2.93 Ghz, 8GB Mem, 2-2TB Barracuda HDs, 500 GB Ext.HDD, Win7/64
    --X1 64 Pro Expanded, Dual 21" Monitors 
    --PCR500  
    --MAUDIO FastTrack Ultra
    --Mackie 1604 VLZ PRO
    --Line6 X3 Live
    --Gibson, Fender, Takamine, Schecter, Washburn
    http://pogopoppa.wix.com/5thgear#
     http://soundcloud.com/digi2ns  

skullsession
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1765
    Re:Long recording - split or not? - suggestions very welcome 2011/05/04 10:05:56 (permalink)
    A while back, I recorded a live show for a band.  They also had a camera crew with 3 HD cameras which filmed it for a live DVD they were releasing.

I captured the whole show in one project at 24/96.  When it came time to mix, I subdivided all of the songs in the original file and saved each song as it's own project so that they all could be mixed as necessary.

When it was done, I gave the mixes as individual songs to the video team.  Each file started exactly where the previous one left off.  They had no problem marrying everything back up that way since we all rolled the entire show without any stops.

Here's a link to one of the finished songs/videos from that project on You Tube.  Turned out pretty sweet.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RoweBandMusic#p/u/3/XFX3DtxIMcA

Oh...and I guess there is this track on there from the project as well..

http://www.youtube.com/user/RoweBandMusic#p/u/3/XFX3DtxIMcA

post edited by skullsession - 2011/05/04 10:15:10

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Long recording - split or not? - suggestions very welcome 2011/05/04 10:23:43 (permalink)
    I'm an automation nut, but even I wouldn't want to try and automate 10 songs in one project. Whew, what a chore that would be. Definitely split them into separate projects. You never know, down the road there might be a need to post them as MP3s, or one of the bands might want their song on a CD as a demo.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Bonzos Ghost
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1112
    Re:Long recording - split or not? - suggestions very welcome 2011/05/05 19:18:08 (permalink)
    I'd split it up into separate project files. If each band played a couple of songs, I might make a separate project file for each band, instead of each song so the mix is consistant for those two songs.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1