Lookin for Help purchasing a midi player

Author
pastorkjl
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2005/12/06 14:00:29 (permalink)

Lookin for Help purchasing a midi player

Hello my name is Kurt and I dont know what im doing.

I would like to purchase some type of box that will load my midi's and play them on our church sound system. I would like something that is stand alone without a keyboard. I dont want to use cd's, and I want to still be able to manipulate the tempo and range of the midi song. Thanks for any advice in advance.

Kurt

13 Replies Related Threads

chiefdanfox
    • Total Posts : 20
    RE: Lookin for Help purchasing a midi player 2005/12/07 02:36:05 (permalink)
    Kurt,
    We need more info.
    What is your composition system? (Computer, midi kb, etc.) Include SW, and your intended outcome. (Symphonies, organs, choir voices, etc.)
    I don't know if I can help, but I am sure someone else here can. Post your system. Include your church's system, input, amp, speakers.
    The better information we get, the better we help you find a solution.
    Are you looking to "DJ", or just let something run from start to finish, meaning does this solution need to have the ablility to stop and start at your command?
    You will probably get some very good advice here, without a lot of techie-talk.
    Cheers, ( and rolling up our sleeves)
    Dan

Sonar pro 3+
    Fruityloops

My current rig:
    AMD Ath 64 3200
    Soltek K8TPRo 939
    Radeon 9800 pro
    Dell 2005fpw
    2gig corsair
    3+ WD 1200
    2 NEC 3520a
    Echo Audio Mia (x2) non-midi (older, but working)
    Behringer BCF2000
    Roland A-37
    pastorkjl
    RE: Lookin for Help purchasing a midi player 2005/12/07 12:03:52 (permalink)
    The midis will be used for congregational singing, because we are a small church, and I feel midis are more flexible than music-in-a-can.
    The worship midis will be purchased online and slightly manipulated on my PC then loaded at church.
    Im looking for something that will play midis on the fly, from start to finish.
    I want the unit to be able to produce top notch piano and bass sounds, because that will be the primary sounds we will use.

Thanks Again

this is are current system;

Behringer mx2004a board
    Peavy xrd 680 amp
    Peavy Speakers
    OffAnAirplane
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1386
    RE: Lookin for Help purchasing a midi player 2005/12/07 12:39:47 (permalink)
    This one is pretty nice.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/K2600R/
    post edited by OffAnAirplane - 2005/12/07 12:43:22

Rom 8:18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us.
    RLD
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1990
    RE: Lookin for Help purchasing a midi player 2005/12/07 12:50:01 (permalink)
    There are lots of different ways to do this.
    One would be to play the midi files from a laptop using Sonar and a General midi softsynth or hardware module.
    Does that help or do you want more options?

RLD
    pastorkjl
    RE: Lookin for Help purchasing a midi player 2005/12/07 13:07:46 (permalink)
    I want to avoid setting up a pc at church (bad part of town) . Im thinking of something portable that can plug into a mike jack on stage.

Thanks for the input.

The K2600R may be a little over the top for us, but it is very nice.
    OffAnAirplane
    RE: Lookin for Help purchasing a midi player 2005/12/07 13:17:45 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: pastorkjl

I want to avoid setting up a pc at church (bad part of town) . Im thinking of something portable that can plug into a mike jack on stage.

Thanks for the input.

The K2600R may be a little over the top for us, but it is very nice.

It might be cheaper just to buy a laptop and use Reason 3.0 or some other software sampler/sequencer. It would be just as easy to setup as a hardware sequencer (easier really). And it would give you more flexibility. It doesn't take a powerhouse laptop to playback Midi sequences through software samplers. You could probably pick up a used laptop that would do the job for around $600, then if you want high quality playback you could buy a PC card sound card like the Echo Indigo($180) . That's what I would do. You may even already have a laptop you could use, so you'd just have to buy the sound card and software.
    post edited by OffAnAirplane - 2005/12/07 13:21:00

Rom 8:18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us.
    RLD
    RE: Lookin for Help purchasing a midi player 2005/12/07 13:34:14 (permalink)
    Well, if you want to play midi files and have access to the tempo, I would think you'll need to use a sequencing program like Sonar, which I'm assuming you already have.
    Either that or some sort of Karaoke machine.
    If portability is an issue, a laptop is perfect and with Sonar you could do everything you want.
    OffAnAirplane
    RE: Lookin for Help purchasing a midi player 2005/12/07 13:37:37 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: RLD

Well, if you want to play midi files and have access to the tempo, I would think you'll need to use a sequencing program like Sonar, which I'm assuming you already have.
    Either that or some sort of Karaoke machine.
    If portability is an issue, a laptop is perfect and with Sonar you could do everything you want.

Unless he already owns Sonar, I would think Reason would be better for his application. It has more sounds that come standard with it. You would be paying a lot more for Sonar for it's audio recording capabilities which he doesn't need.

RLD
    RE: Lookin for Help purchasing a midi player 2005/12/07 13:46:52 (permalink)
    I guess I'm just assuming that he's got Sonar or some Cakewalk software...
    I mean this is the Cakewalk forum, right?...
    he said he can manipulate the midi's on his PC, so that software on a laptop, playing right out the soundcards stereo out to his board would be good enough and probably the easiest, cheapest way to accomplish this...IMO
    OffAnAirplane
    RE: Lookin for Help purchasing a midi player 2005/12/07 14:10:24 (permalink)
    I guess I'm just assuming that he's got Sonar or some Cakewalk software...
    I mean this is the Cakewalk forum, right?...

I've been amazed how many people on these forums don't own any Cakewalk products.

I was just saying that if he doesn't own any software sequencers and was going to buy one just for this, I think Reason would work better.

You're probably right. He probably does have Sonar. If so, I would definitely use it instead of spending another $400 on Reason.

Rick_c
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Lookin for Help purchasing a midi player 2005/12/07 16:57:31 (permalink)

Hello my name is Kurt and I dont know what im doing.

I would like to purchase some type of box that will load my midi's and play them on our church sound system. I would like something that is stand alone without a keyboard. I dont want to use cd's, and I want to still be able to manipulate the tempo and range of the midi song. Thanks for any advice in advance.

Kurt

Well, you know something, because you took the time to ask!

Echoing what someone else said, your best bet (IMO) would be to get a laptop PC with a decent PCMCIA sound card such as the Echo Indigo, patching the output of that into an input on your Behringer mixer.

Assuming you're using a Cakewalk product to do the editing (tempo, key, etc.) of your purchased MIDI songs, simply install that software on the laptop (delete software from your other computer to be completely legal, from an EULA standpoint), use a soft synth on the computer (i.e. Edirol or others) to turn the MIDI data into sounds and you should be good to go. Take the laptop with you if you want, or keep it with your mixer, amp, etc.

Recommend you make sure everything works properly (software sends audio to card, cable from card to mixer works properly and mixer is set to take the right audio level from the card) before Sunday morning - you don't want to mess around with configurations 2 minutes (or less) before service begins.

Good luck; let us know what you decide to do and how it works!
    Mike Fisher
    • Total Posts : 1374
    RE: Lookin for Help purchasing a midi player 2005/12/07 22:14:32 (permalink)

Hi Kurt,

Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.christiancomputer.com/?page=synthia

I've never used one, but I've seen them advertised for a long time.
    chiefdanfox
    • Total Posts : 20
    RE: Lookin for Help purchasing a midi player 2005/12/08 00:37:35 (permalink)
    Kurt,
    It sounds like you are not composing, but buying "off-the-rack" midi tracks, which are probably set to the General Midi (GM) standard voices.
    You will need a synth, and since you want good piano and good bass, you might need a better synth that is found in on-board computer audio cards.(most computer sound cards will generate voices, they are on-board synths).

Since you do not want to set up a computer, I think you might need a synth keyboard, with audio outputs, that will also load midi tracks, either from a computer, or from a card (PCMIA, CF, etc.), but my guess is that you can eliminate a few steps, and it would be a wash $$, if you just used a laptop.

I think your best bet is to get a cheapish laptop, with an outboard card (Like the Echo), and probably Reason for SW. Reason is a better bang for the buck, for your solution. I love Sonar, but it is complicated, and is a machine designed to do a lot more than you want to, and demands a rather robust investment of time. IF you have Sonar, then you can do everything you want to with a laptop, so there is no reason to buy Reason. Midi files are very small, so you would not have any complications with a laptop a few years old.

You can plug the output right into your system, and pretty easily set the voices (piano, bass, etc.) to better voices than your purchased midi GM-voiced files will have. You may be able to find a laptop with an internal card that can handle soundfonts. These are not the greatest sounding voices, but that would keep you from having to use an outboard midi contraption, like the echo. You could just plug the laptop speaker out into your system. Some of the soundfonts might sound pretty good in a small hall. It is a judgement call. I liked soundfonts, until I bought my first synth (JV-1010), and I have an Alesis QSR that has some pretty great piano, but I would still need either a keyboard or a computer to do what you want to do.

You could start this way, with a good laptop, and if you find the soundfont thing untenable, then it is a small expense to add the Echo card.

Sonar pro 3+
    Fruityloops

My current rig:
    AMD Ath 64 3200
    Soltek K8TPRo 939
    Radeon 9800 pro
    Dell 2005fpw
    2gig corsair
    3+ WD 1200
    2 NEC 3520a
    Echo Audio Mia (x2) non-midi (older, but working)
    Behringer BCF2000
    Roland A-37
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1