Looking for Clarification on per-project folders

Author
larrymcg
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1310
2014/04/03 19:44:09 (permalink)

Looking for Clarification on per-project folders

I have a folder, called Songs, with lots of .cwp projects in it.  Many of them include both midi and audio.  All of the associated audio files are in a single sub-folder of Songs called Audio.

Is this folder arrangement any harder to move to a new machine than if I'd always used per-project folders?  I think I just need to move the folder Songs along with all of its content to the new machine.  And then tell Sonar where the Song folder and Audio folder are.

Right?

-- Larry

Intel Core i7-4790 @3.6GHz; 8GB; Win10 Pro 64bit; 1TB disk + 3TB ext disk; Midiman Fineline mixer; MidiSport 4x4 midi I/F; Roland JV-30 kbd/synth; Yamaha TG55 synth; Rx with 3 piece Home audio speakers; Sonar X3e Studio

4 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Looking for Clarification on per-project folders 2014/04/03 19:58:03 (permalink)
    Sure, moving the global audio folder, the project files and configuring the new instance of SONAR to use the new global audio folder will work. This would be the same as moving a collection of per-project folders. When using per-project folders, the global audio folder is a temp directory.

The real advantage to per-project folders is the ease of individual backup and clean up of projects. Since all the audio for a project is contained in a subdirectory under the project file; projects may be copied by duplicating the project folder at the OS level. Also the SONAR "Save as" function creates a copy of the project with only audio files referenced in the project.
    rebel007
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 926
    Re: Looking for Clarification on per-project folders 2014/04/03 21:41:31 (permalink)
    Scook is correct, the disadvantage with having just one "audio" folder is that every single song you record puts its files in the one folder. This can make it very difficult to find, backup, move or copy just one song, as you will find it hard to discern which files belong to which song.
    Having per project folders allows each song to have a folder with all the tracks for that song included, which makes it easier to find, backup, etc.

Home Built Desktop Computer: Intel Core i5 750: 4Mb RAM: NVidia 210 Silent: Windows 10 32bit: Sonar Platinum: Roland OctaCapture
    Presario CQ41 Laptop: Intel Core i5 760: 4Mb RAM: Windows 10 32bit: Sonar Platinum (Retired)
    CbB on HP Pavilion Laptop 64bit: GeForce Video Card: Intel 8550: 256GB SSD 1TB Data Drive: Windows10 64bit
    larrymcg
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1310
    Re: Looking for Clarification on per-project folders 2014/04/05 01:15:53 (permalink)
    Scook and Rebel007, thanks for your feedback.  You've confirmed what I thought was the case.

There is another complication that can occur doing things with a common audio folder.  That is, an audio file can be shared by two or more projects.  I've got a few examples of that.

My folder setup goes back to how ProAudio9 did things.  Actually some of the stuff I have came from Opcode's Vision on a Mac!  I could clean it all up with per-project folders but that would be quite a job.  And if I need to backup a specific project or gather a project all together, I can do the SaveAs... operation when needed.

Again, thanks for your feedback!

--Larry

Intel Core i7-4790 @3.6GHz; 8GB; Win10 Pro 64bit; 1TB disk + 3TB ext disk; Midiman Fineline mixer; MidiSport 4x4 midi I/F; Roland JV-30 kbd/synth; Yamaha TG55 synth; Rx with 3 piece Home audio speakers; Sonar X3e Studio
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Looking for Clarification on per-project folders 2014/04/05 01:27:36 (permalink)
    All true, FWIW there is nothing preventing multiple projects using the same per-project audio folder. I do have an ancient global audio folder which predates per-project audio folders. Never bothered to clean it up but I did stop using it when the per-project folder feature was introduced.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1