Looking for PC-to-PC professional SONAR X3 help

Author
johnchaf
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 20
2013/10/26 18:29:21 (permalink)

Looking for PC-to-PC professional SONAR X3 help

Is there a business or person who can help learning how to do various SONAR things on my computer? A remote connection would be required (such as GoToMyPC or ???). From time to time I am absolutely clueless about how to proceed and I would be happy to pay a professional rate to fix the problems. For example, right now I need to connect the Akai MPD26 so the transport buttons work and the individual pads/buttons are assignable to a drum sound.

[Yes, I've heard of Obedia, but it is not at all obvious that they really exist. I have sent email at least 6 times and never once received a reply. I have also tried to sign up and never received the so-called "login" code. So, I'm hoping there is someone else who can help.]

Thank you,
John 

17 Replies Related Threads

StarTekh
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2007
    Re: Looking for PC-to-PC professional SONAR X3 help 2013/10/26 18:55:41 (permalink)
    John:   http://www.akaipro.com/product/mpd26#downloads

Quick Start Guide

LunaTech
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 273
    Re: Looking for PC-to-PC professional SONAR X3 help 2013/10/26 19:05:45 (permalink)
    Hi John,

I have the MPD 26.  What specific issues are you having.  The transport can be made to work via midi learn and setting up a generic control surface.  Let me know what you are trying to do.. I will help if I can. Thanks.

"Life could capture me with songs of innocence...
    And enrapture me with pleasures galore...
    Suddenly it could all quickly fade away...
    But I'm not surprised any more...."

Sonar Platinum Pro- Win 10 64- I7 6800k - Asus - 32gb DDR4-SB ZX sound card (cd output to mixer)- Toshiba 960gb SSD (OS - Audio APPs)- 4TB Seagate (Storage/ App Content)- M-Audio Keystation 88 Pro - Akai MPD 232 - Zed R16 - PT 12 - A&H QU 24- Axiom 61 - XD 80usb

"When He is all you have, He is everything you need"
    robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: Looking for PC-to-PC professional SONAR X3 help 2013/10/26 19:24:20 (permalink)
    Yup - there is a WHOLE BUNCH of folks here in the forum here to help you with whatever ails you.

This forum is a little oasis of commonality  - and is essentially one giant dysfunctional, but meaning well, family. (give or take a troll)

Most of the things we face individually with our gear or with Sonar have been experienced and conquered by someone here in the forum, and posting issues and engaging in finding the solution is what this forum is largely all about, so don't be shy.

Go post, man, go post.  :)

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    johnchaf
    Re: Looking for PC-to-PC professional SONAR X3 help 2013/10/26 20:06:19 (permalink)
    NOTE TO StarTekh: Yes, I have the "QuickStart Guide". While the guide contains interesting information about the MDP26 device, there is nothing there that explains installation or making SONAR work. I also have all the manuals provided by Vysex and a rather odd one-page printout from Akai talking about the MPK88 keyboard controller. (Yes, it has keys and pads and is similar, but...)
    NOTE TO LunaTech: As a beginning answer to the question posed by LunaTech (lol), let's say I do the following: (1) Plug in MPD26 to USB port. (2) Select MDP26 preset named "SONAR" and "push to enter". (3) Launch Vyzex application on PC and notice the error message: "Can't open MIDI Out Port Game Controller 1. Driver may already be in use." (4) Then I get a Vyzex screen with: Receiving: Akai Professional MDP26 Edit Buffer MIDI IN Port: [Akai MPD26] MIDI OUT Port: [Akai MPD 26] Comm Channel: 0 Bytes Received: 0
    ...and the dialog never does anything else and never receives data.
    So, I "Cancel All" and finally see the full Vyzex MPD26 editor dialog and then don't know... a) ...if anything is wrong - like Midi Port 1 or no data   --or-- b) ...what to do next.
    Of course, you may wonder why I even launch Vyzex. I don't have a good reason, but the error seems important.
    So, at this point, we haven't even discussed starting SONAR and creating some kind of generic device and actually talking to the MPD26.
    Well, this is just the beginning. Tomorrow I'll start typing up an  error-by-error list of problems when I try to edit SONAR preferences and "connect" to the MPD26.
    Meanwhile, I would like again suggest the possibility of PC-to-PC connect so that you can see immediately what the errors are. The direct experience on my PC would probably save a lot of time. And of course I'll pay for it.

[P.S. I don't understand how to answer a post directly, so this is just a sort of general post hoping that you see it.
    StarTekh
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2007
    Re: Looking for PC-to-PC professional SONAR X3 help 2013/10/26 20:20:03 (permalink)
    John: there is a ton of pro free help here .. I would use that !!
    LunaTech
    Re: Looking for PC-to-PC professional SONAR X3 help 2013/10/26 20:33:14 (permalink)
    Ok John,

You are absolutely correct in assuming why you need the Vyzex.  If I may, I would propose that we table it for now as I do not think that it plays a role in seeing if the device works in Sonar...

With that said, this forum is users helping each other with the guys at Cakewalk actually chiming in to assist when they can.  While I usually do not casually turn down cash.. This is one of the occasions where I will keeping in mind that if getting assistance is chargeable then I owe a bunch of people here a fortune for all of the help that I have been given.

So, Let go with the physical connection of the device and confirming that the OS sees it (Device Manager) and then firing up Sonar and confirming that Sonar sees it in "Edit - Preferences - Midi Devices. Go ahead and use the Sonar preset on the MPD.

Once that is confirmed you can then do a simple check to see if it is communicating with Sonar.  You can load any instrument for now with a simple instrument track, (This can be done from the Browser Area). You can choose "Synth" from the choices at the top of the browser. Then select the "+" sign and this will show you a list of available instruments. Choose an instrument with as stated earlier a simple instrument track. The instruments interface will open and from there you can choose a "patch" so that the instrument can make a sound.  Highlight the track number of the instrument , go to  where the track and bus are showing on the left (where the pro channel resides) and choose the "track" view if not chosen. From there at the bottom of the track you can choose for the input "All Inputs - Midi Omni for this test.  Check to see at this point if pushing the pad generates any sound and let us know.  We can go from there.

Sonar Platinum Pro- Win 10 64- I7 6800k - Asus - 32gb DDR4-SB ZX sound card (cd output to mixer)- Toshiba 960gb SSD (OS - Audio APPs)- 4TB Seagate (Storage/ App Content)- M-Audio Keystation 88 Pro - Akai MPD 232 - Zed R16 - PT 12 - A&H QU 24- Axiom 61 - XD 80usb

mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: Looking for PC-to-PC professional SONAR X3 help 2013/10/27 17:16:23 (permalink)
    johnchaf
    (3) Launch Vyzex application on PC and notice the error message: "Can't open MIDI Out Port Game Controller 1. Driver may already be in use."

Hi John, I read down through this thread and this comment stuck out most to me. Could you help us help you by letting us know what you have for a computer (build, Operating System, audio interface)? When getting started (especially connecting a controller), *understanding* (not having someone do for you) driver modes (ASIO vs WDM), MIDI, etc., will save you a lot of headache later on. Your quote above sounds like Windows does have your interface "in use," but before sending you "down a path," could you provide us the above info?

To other's points here, this forum is loaded with a bunch of smart and helpful folks (your BEST resource); and there are also a bunch of nice resources both on Cakewalk's documentation and other pages.

Michael

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    johnchaf
    Re: Looking for PC-to-PC professional SONAR X3 help 2013/10/27 18:02:11 (permalink)
    NOTE TO LunaTech:
    (1) Computer > Manage > Device Manager > Sound, video and game controllers    ...correctly shows Akai MPD26
    (2) SONAR X3 Producer > Edit > Preferences > MIDI > Devices    ...correctly shows Akai MPD26 in both the "Inputs" and "Outputs" panels.
    At this time, the "Inputs" panel has 3 items checked: 3 V-Control, TheComputerWorks, and Akai MPD26.
    At this time, the "Outputs" panel has 3 items checked: 3 V-Control, Akai MPD 26, and TheComputerWorks. NOTE: "TheComputerWorks" is the full computer name. NOTE: V-Control is part of an iPad control application that does not work. [However, I did get AC-7 Pro HD to work a while ago.]
    (3) I then started a new SONAR project, inserted a single audio track, inserted a single MIDI track, dragged a synth over to the audio track. On the MIDI track I set IN = "All Inputs Omni" and I also set OUT = Addictive Drums vsti (64-bit).
    After clicking the Play and Stop button, not only would the mouse play the various drum sounds but so did the pads on MPD26. OK, not every pad was playing something, but many pads were playing. So I saved the project and am now happily standing by for the next lesson.

It was a bit wierd about clicking the Play and Stop button. It's sorta like Addictive Drums needed a jump start.

johnchaf
    Re: Looking for PC-to-PC professional SONAR X3 help 2013/10/27 18:14:52 (permalink)
    Here is a brief equipment list: Computer = MSI GT70 laptop, Core i7-3940XM, 3.00GHz, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB ram, SSD and HDD; DAW = Sonar X3 Producer; Monitors = Mackie HR824; Audio Interface = SPL Channel One, FocusRite Scarlett 8i6 (haven't tried either yet); Mics = Rode NTK, AKG C414B-XLII, Audio-Technica AT4040; Keyboard = Yamaha CP-33; MIDI = MOTU midi express (8 channels, don't use), Cakewalk UM-1G USB MIDI interface; Audio Drivers = ASIO4ALL
    LunaTech
    Re: Looking for PC-to-PC professional SONAR X3 help 2013/10/27 19:08:27 (permalink)
    johnchaf
    NOTE TO LunaTech:
    (1) Computer > Manage > Device Manager > Sound, video and game controllers    ...correctly shows Akai MPD26
    (2) SONAR X3 Producer > Edit > Preferences > MIDI > Devices    ...correctly shows Akai MPD26 in both the "Inputs" and "Outputs" panels.
    At this time, the "Inputs" panel has 3 items checked: 3 V-Control, TheComputerWorks, and Akai MPD26.
    At this time, the "Outputs" panel has 3 items checked: 3 V-Control, Akai MPD 26, and TheComputerWorks. NOTE: "TheComputerWorks" is the full computer name. NOTE: V-Control is part of an iPad control application that does not work. [However, I did get AC-7 Pro HD to work a while ago.]
    (3) I then started a new SONAR project, inserted a single audio track, inserted a single MIDI track, dragged a synth over to the audio track. On the MIDI track I set IN = "All Inputs Omni" and I also set OUT = Addictive Drums vsti (64-bit).
    After clicking the Play and Stop button, not only would the mouse play the various drum sounds but so did the pads on MPD26. OK, not every pad was playing something, but many pads were playing. So I saved the project and am now happily standing by for the next lesson.

It was a bit wierd about clicking the Play and Stop button. It's sorta like Addictive Drums needed a jump start.

Hi John,
    Ok... It seems that we are on our way. Lets look at getting the transport working for the MPD in Sonar.
    Section 1:
    1. From Sonar go to Edit - Preferences- Midi - Control Surfaces.
    2. From the Control Surfaces screen choose the "+" sign.  This will bring up the dialogue for a new surface.
    3. From the Controller Surface drop down, Choose "Cakewalk Generic Surface".
    4. Choose the MPD 26 for the "in" and leave the "out" set to "none" at this time. Select "ok" and the surface will appear in the list for surfaces. Select apply and then close out of the preferences section.
    Section 2:
    1. From Sonar go to Utilities menu and double click the "Cakewalk Generic Surface".  
    2. From the Presets choose the Akai MPK 49 from the list.
    3. Look to the Bottom left of the screen and you will see a "Global Parameters" section and select the "Play" button. (The button will fill in with a solid color).
    4. Push the play button on the MPD 26 and then click the "Learn" button in the Sonar dialogue and you will see the "Trigger Message" parameter fill in with the hexadecimal value of that button.
    5. Repeat step four for each of the subsequent transport buttons. Save what you have done by typing "MPD 26" in the preset slot and hitting the save icon (looks like a floppy disk). Close out of the window. Test when finished in sonar.  When testing "Play" pleas copy a clip (midi or Audio) so that playback can start.

Let us know how this turns out...

johnchaf
    Re: Looking for PC-to-PC professional SONAR X3 help 2013/10/28 18:02:24 (permalink)
    NOTE TO LunaTech
    The instruction (3) worked and instruction (4) failed with the PROBLEM DESCRIPTION below. I have also modified the next few sequential instructions -- particularly with the idea of setting the Controller/Surface in SONAR prior to attempted usage.

3. Look to the Bottom
    right of the screen and you will see a "Global Parameters" section and select the "Play" button. (The button will fill in with a solid color).
    4. Push the play button on the MPD 26 and then click the "Learn" button in the Sonar dialogue and you will see the "Trigger Message" parameter fill in with the hexadecimal value of that button.

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION I did not see the "Trigger Message" parameter fill in with hex. I tried all kinds of before/after sequences/combinations thinking maybe there was an oversight in the instructions. I also notice there is an Controller/Surface ACT Learn Mode button that turns "blue" when clicked. But still had no hex.
    In spite of no hex values, I did proceed with the instructions and saved the preset with name=MPD26. After saving, while trying to use the preset, the SONAR tiny MIDI keyboard indicator in the tray (at the bottom of my screen) clearly shows a MIDI message arriving:  Play = red light goes ON and stays ON, Stop = red light goes OFF and stays OFF, pressing a pad = red light blinks ON/OFF with each press. So, a signal is getting thru.
    PROBLEM FINAL COMMENTS: I think SONAR is not really in "learn" mode.

These are the modified instructions. Notice the added instruction (6):
    5. Repeat step four for each of the subsequent transport buttons. Save what you have done by typing "MPD 26" in the preset slot and hitting the save icon (looks like a floppy disk). Close out of the window.
    6. At the top-right of SONAR, set Controller/Surface = Cakewalk Generic Surface.
    7. Load .wav file into an audio track.
    8. Press Play on MPD26.
    LunaTech
    Re: Looking for PC-to-PC professional SONAR X3 help 2013/10/28 19:06:10 (permalink)
    Hi John,

Not sure what happened there but I set up another controller when giving you those instructions. When you are in the control surface configuration area check to see that when you select play or any of the global settings to the left of the SysX Trigger area, There is a SysX Trigger button that should also be blue ( The reason I said a solid color is that other could have chosen a windows scheme other than default which could change the fill color, so I said a solid color to catch all).  The step at that point was to push play on the MPD and then push learn this should put a value in the section.

You could try pushing the play button again and then learn to see if it triggers. My other suggestion at this point would be to push play on the MPD. Select edit- push enter (the screen should say transport)- rotate the knob to say MMC/MIDI- push enter (push the button down) - and then push preset to exit the edit function. This will put the MPD to receive midi machine control and midi messages.

Repeat the steps to program the transport and let us know.

johnchaf
    Re: Looking for PC-to-PC professional SONAR X3 help 2013/10/29 17:03:23 (permalink)
    NOTE TO LunaTech
    Initial success! The transport buttons on MPD26 now work. I have recreated the instructions (so far) so that anyone else can easily follow along. I will say, though, that I don't understand how/why the instructions (shown below) for "PREPARE MPD26 FOR PROGRAMMING" were necessary. Oh well, let's move on. Thank you so far.

CREATE A NEW CONTROL SURFACE
    (0a) On Sonar, Edit > Preferences > MIDI > Control Surfaces > click yellow "+". This displays the dialog for a new control surface.
    (0b) On Sonar, select Cakewalk Generic Surface.
    (0c) On Sonar, set In Port = Akai MPD26, set Out Port = None.
    (0d) On Sonar, click OK. The new controller now appears in the list of Controllers/Surfaces.
    (0e) On Sonar, click Apply.
    (0f) On Sonar, click Close.
    PREPARE SONAR AND MPD26
    (1a) On Sonar, open a project with a simple audio track with a .wav file.
    (1b) On Sonar, select Controller/Surface > Cakewalk Generic Surface.
    (1c) On Sonar, click Controller/Surface Properties. This displays the controller Properties dialog with the Learn button.
    (1d) On MPD26, connect a USB cable to MPD26 and computer running SONAR.
    (1e) On MPD26, rotate knob to Sonar and push "Push to Enter" knob.
    PREPARE MPD26 FOR PROGRAMMING
    (2a) On MPD26, push Play button.
    (2b) On MPD26, push Edit button. The screen displays "TRANSPORT". Push "Push to Enter" knob. (2c) On MPD26, rotate "Push to Enter" knob to MMC/MIDI. Push "Push to Enter" knob.
    (2e) On MPD26, push Preset. This exits the edit function. Notice that the screen displays "Sonar".
    PROGRAM TRANSPORT CONTROL: PLAY
    (3a) On Sonar, click Global Parameters > Play.
    (3b) On MPD26, push Play button.
    (3c) On Sonar, click Learn. Notice that SysX Trigger is now selected and Trigger Message has a Hex value (for example, F07F7F0602F7).
    PROGRAM TRANSPORT CONTROL: STOP
    (4a) On Sonar, click Global Parameters > Stop.
    (4b) On MPD26, push Stop button.
    (4c) On Sonar, click Learn. Notice that SysX Trigger is now selected and Trigger Message has a Hex value (for example, F07F7F0601F7).
    PROGRAM TRANSPORT CONTROL: FORWARD
    (5a) On Sonar, click Global Parameters > Forward.
    (5b) On MPD26, push Forward button.
    (5c) On Sonar, click Learn. Notice that SysX Trigger is now selected and Trigger Message has a Hex value (for example, F07F7F0604F7).
    PROGRAM TRANSPORT CONTROL: REWIND
    (6a) On Sonar, click Global Parameters > Rewind.
    (6b) On MPD26, push Rewind button.
    (6c) On Sonar, click Learn. Notice that SysX Trigger is now selected and Trigger Message has a Hex value (for example, F07F7F0605F7).
    PROGRAM TRANSPORT CONTROL: RECORD
    (7a) On Sonar, click Global Parameters > Record.
    (7b) On MPD26, push Record button.
    (7c) On Sonar, click Learn. Notice that SysX Trigger is now selected and Trigger Message has a Hex value (for example, F07F7F0606F7).
    (8) On Sonar, save the preset by typing "MPD26" in the preset slot and click "Save".
    (9) On Sonar, close the Cakewalk Generic Surface dialog.
    (10) On MPD26, push Play. The track with the wave file should begin playing.
    LunaTech
    Re: Looking for PC-to-PC professional SONAR X3 help 2013/10/29 22:08:29 (permalink)
    Cool John,

For the Faders and Sliders (in this instance using the 6 faders to control  the first 6 tracks and using the rotaries to control in this instance the first 6 pans of the first 6 tracks this is what you can do.

1. Go to edit - preferences - midi  - control surfaces
    2. Select the "+" to create a new surface this time using the "ACT" Midi Controller type instead of the "Cakewalk Generic"
    3. Select the MPD 26 as the input and none as the output
    4. Choose apply and close.
    5. Go to Utilities and choose the newly created ACT Midi Controller
    6. Select the Akai MPK 49 preset
    7. Select the S1 section in the Act Controller (the dialogue will say "midi learn"
    8. Turn the Slider/Fader 1 on the MPD 26. (you should see the fader move in Sonar)
    9. Repeat step 8 to program the rest of the faders  for volume and rotaries for Panning.
    10. You can save this as a new preset... (Akai MPD 26)

I hope this gives you a basic foundation. Let us know how it turns out.

johnchaf
    Re: Looking for PC-to-PC professional SONAR X3 help 2013/10/30 15:09:36 (permalink)
    Successful Progress!
    First, I connected the MPD26 and left it set to "Live" (I did not select "Sonar"). [you didn't say...]
    In Sonar, after selecting "Akai MPK 49" preset (mine actually says "Akai MPK 49 (Preset 30)", clicking on the green part of the S1 section in the Act Controller correctly shows  "midi learn".
    For each S1 thru S6, I moved the appropriate fader and in each case that seemed to provide the "midi learn" message.
    Now each Akai MPD26 fader moves the assigned Sonar fader, and each Akai MPD26 rotary knob moves the assigned Sonar Pan. 
    NOTE: When I slide a fader on the Akai MPD26, the Sonar fader moves immediately and correctly. However, prior to actually getting that immediate movement consistently, it was necessary to move the physical Akai MPD26 fader thru it's complete range of motion. (I may have also done this with the rotary knobs.) This is odd, but certainly not a show stopper.
    QUESTION #1: Is it correct to leave the Akai MPD26 as "Live"?
    QUESTION #2: What now, Kemo Sabe?
    LunaTech
    Re: Looking for PC-to-PC professional SONAR X3 help 2013/10/30 23:01:02 (permalink)
    Hi John,

Glad that we are moving along.
    QUESTION #1: Is it correct to leave the Akai MPD26 as "Live"? I generally keep mine at Sonar as I think Live is referring to an Ableton preset I believe.
    QUESTION #2: What now, Kemo Sabe? I would get into programming the pads.  The simple way is to figure out the what mdi note each instrument represents and then keying the pad you want to that note.  On this site there are more advance drum mapping techniques that can be applied to do much the same thing also with greater efficiency.

In addition to looking/asking hear for information on that the controller can also using the sliders and rotaries to control synth functions. Of particular interest is sampling synths that can then be used mpc styile with the mpd programming the pads to trigger samples. I have not went that far. I only use it for triggering drums at this time.  But hey we can learn together. Time to explore and come back with more questions.

dubdisciple
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5849
    Re: Looking for PC-to-PC professional SONAR X3 help 2014/04/13 12:35:20 (permalink)
    Since there are a number of Geist owners here I thought I would post this hardware controller map for MPD26 and Geist:
    http://www.fxpansion.com/forum/download.php?id=2004

"Pad Bank A - Channel 9, pads
    Pad Bank B - Channel 9, patterns (first 16)
    Pad Bank C/D - Channel 11, scenes (first 16 scenes in pad bank C, & pad bank D starts from C1)

its Preset one in the attached bank,

you should be able to write it to any preset number you want on your MPD26"

Have not quite figured out how to use it but I figure a more experienced MPD26 user might

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1