Looking for SONAR projects to mix

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
OldGeezer
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 686
RE: Looking for SONAR projects to mix 2005/08/09 10:36:09 (permalink)
Oh I'm sorry, I didn't mean to insult you.

When I read this in your first post:

"Of course, all rights remain with you and you are free to use the mix I do for any non-commercial purpose (if you wanted to release it then we'd have to talk).

Which is essentially a paradox, I thought you wanted to make a buck from someone who helped you after you sought them out for a favor.

Now that I realise you just want to talk with the artist if they sell the song with your mix...to offer them advise and whatnot...Now that I know you certainly wouldn't take money from the artist under such circumstances, I see your benevolence and ask your forgiveness.
michael japan
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5252
RE: Looking for SONAR projects to mix 2005/08/09 10:36:15 (permalink)
Thanks for your comments Michael. This thread was becoming an exercise in chinese whispers (I never said that I'd take any copyright, I never said that people couldn't shop the mix or would have to pay to release it, etc.) - I couldn't be bothered with it anymore. Incidentally, my website is unrelated to this - that's just another role of mine.

yea, I don't think you have to explain this to all of us. Were you in Japan?

Windows 10/64 bit/i7-6560U/SSD/16GB RAM/Cakelab/Sonar Platinum/Pro Tools/Studio 1/Studio 192/DP88/MOTU AVB/Grace M101/AKG Various/Blue Woodpecker/SM81x2/Yamaha C1L Grand Piano/CLP545/MOX88/MOTIF XS Rack Rack/MX61/Korg CX3/Karma/Scarbee EP88s/ Ivory/Ravenscroft Piano/JBL4410/NS10m/Auratones/Omnisphere/Play Composers Selection/Waves/Komplete Kontrol
rjay
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 123
RE: Looking for SONAR projects to mix 2005/08/09 10:38:58 (permalink)
Yes - I first went to Japan in 1999 and have been back many times because my wife is Japanese.
michael japan
RE: Looking for SONAR projects to mix 2005/08/09 10:39:08 (permalink)
hey that was big of you geezer. Always refreshing to hear someone admit they might have made an error in judgement. Kudos to you dude. Looking forward to your future posts.

Windows 10/64 bit/i7-6560U/SSD/16GB RAM/Cakelab/Sonar Platinum/Pro Tools/Studio 1/Studio 192/DP88/MOTU AVB/Grace M101/AKG Various/Blue Woodpecker/SM81x2/Yamaha C1L Grand Piano/CLP545/MOX88/MOTIF XS Rack Rack/MX61/Korg CX3/Karma/Scarbee EP88s/ Ivory/Ravenscroft Piano/JBL4410/NS10m/Auratones/Omnisphere/Play Composers Selection/Waves/Komplete Kontrol
davidchristopher
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1360
RE: Looking for SONAR projects to mix 2005/08/09 10:39:24 (permalink)
Why do people feel the need to get into a pissing contest? Geezer could have withheld his opinon, or not. Ray there could have withheld his rebuttle.

Ray's deal doesn't sound like my cup of tea. 'nuff said. 'nuff not even necessary. It was interesting up to the 'need to talk' part.

C'mon guys, taking shots at eachother? Move to the coffee house.

David Bistolas
www.bistolas.net
michael japan
RE: Looking for SONAR projects to mix 2005/08/09 10:41:18 (permalink)
Yes - I first went to Japan in 1999 and have been back many times because my wife is Japanese.

let's hook up. When you coming back?

rjay
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 123
RE: Looking for SONAR projects to mix 2005/08/09 10:48:04 (permalink)
Good question - probably this year sometime, not too sure when. We normally go to Osaka though rather than Tokyo ... whereabouts are you ?
michael japan
RE: Looking for SONAR projects to mix 2005/08/09 10:52:22 (permalink)
Tokyo-actually 40 miles out-Chiba.

Nate
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 726
RE: Looking for SONAR projects to mix 2005/08/09 10:58:10 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: rjay

Actually Nate I was referring to his accusation that I was taking a share of copyright which is not only complete nonsense but also offensive. Of course, I would have given my contact details to anyone whose work I mixed - not here, for obvious reasons.
Anyway, forget it. Offer withdrawn.

I understood what the ol' geezer was saying...besides if you wanted to steal a copywritten song there are much better ways to do it than to advertise in the Cakewalk Forum!<G> And it shows who is and isn't working...really stealing a copywritten song to rebrand? What kind of idiot would think that could happen without a serious lawsuit following?

Anyway...you can't withdraw the offer...becuase I'm the *Offer Cop* and the OC says no to your request. Now first...go mix some tunes...then get some hits. You need one...the OC says so. <G>
daveny5
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16934
RE: Looking for SONAR projects to mix 2005/08/09 23:42:27 (permalink)
What you get is: a professional mix

Why is his mix a more "professional" mix than anyone else who has Sonar in this forum? A mix is pretty subjective and I'd like to think most people here mix their own music. So why would I turn my creation over to this guy who I don't know, who doesn't know me and doesn't know what I want my music to sound like.

Dave
Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
ohhey
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11676
RE: Looking for SONAR projects to mix 2005/08/10 00:25:30 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: rjay

Actually Nate I was referring to his accusation that I was taking a share of copyright which is not only complete nonsense but also offensive. Of course, I would have given my contact details to anyone whose work I mixed - not here, for obvious reasons.

Anyway, forget it. Offer withdrawn.

Thanks a lot guys, way to watch out for everyone else.. what was in it for you ? I had no idea why this had to get ugly..I'm so dissapointed.
michael japan
RE: Looking for SONAR projects to mix 2005/08/10 11:13:49 (permalink)
So why would I turn my creation over to this guy who I don't know, who doesn't know me and doesn't know what I want my music to sound like.

well, maybe he's good. But at this point it looks like we'll never know. His offer was simple-I don't know why it had to get so complicated. If you (speaking to all of us) like his mix, then he wanted to talk before you use it for commercial purposes. If you like your mix better, it's a non issue. Thought it might have been fun to see what he can do. But, that's only my thoughts. I see your point as well. I just think that he offered something that if people were interested, then they could contact him, or if they weren't interested, just let it pass. But for some reason it became an issue. Oh well. If we were all in one rrom discussing these things, these type of things would happen and we would get on with the next topic, but on the net it's different. Have a good day Dave.

Northlodge
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 34
RE: Looking for SONAR projects to mix 2005/08/10 15:39:23 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: OldGeezer

And despite his assertations, claiming someone can't sell the song after his mixing without paying him IS claiming copyright. Arguing to the contrary is just blowing hot-air, and there's a warm cyclone gusting through here.

Actually it depends on what is being claimed here by RJay. If RJay is simply saying his particular mix of the song cannot be released without permission, that would be publishing rights, not copyrights, for that particular mix of that particular performance of the song. The artist still retains the right to sell the song in any other mix, arrangement, or performance except the mix that RJay provides. They could even take the same Sonar file, remix it themselves to the best of their abilities, and still commercially release the work with no strings attached to RJay. (assuming I understand RJay's offer correctly)

It's important to remember that there are lots of components to commercially released material and how each contributor to a work (composers, musicians, lyricists, arrangers, engineers, producers, etc.) gets compensated should be spelled out very, very clearly before any agreement is signed and the work is released.

The music business seems to me to be a lot of give and take. Be prepared to give up something to get something. But know what your rights are and only part with what you are prepared to give up!

My $.02 is that RJay is offering a decent deal depending on the specifics of the agreement. I'm sure that he's a reasonable guy and will be happy to clarify any details and even put them in writing. He sounds like a pro.

Eric

Northern Lodge Music
http://www.northlodgemusic.com
michael japan
RE: Looking for SONAR projects to mix 2005/08/10 20:39:29 (permalink)
The music business seems to me to be a lot of give and take. Be prepared to give up something to get something.

well said. One of my best friends stated it just like this to me years ago. Babyface and L.A. Reid got to the point in their production work that they started putting each others names on everything for awhile because they new that it was each others input that made it what it was. When Babyface, or Reid, wanted to do something on their own, they did it on their own. It's a gentleman's agreement out here (I say here as I speak from experience) and the people whp are getting the most work are the ones who understand how its coming down, and have a good attitude about give and take. Of course, their are lot of successful people who are not generous and donj't have a good attitude, but he, which one do I want to be? If you are going to ask somebody's help, and its not just a part time hobby for them, if they are pro, then they take it real serious, and you should expect to give them something for their time. Same as asking your friend about your teeth. He will have opinions, but when you really want something done, you go see the dentist, and there is usually some form of payment. The publishing is explained well in Northlodges post as well. The copyrights to the songs are yours-the publishing is over the particular recording-in some cases, and in the song itself, in other cases. If a Cd sells and your song is on it, depending on the foreseen popularity of that song will determine your percentage as well. I have to stick by my guns here to say that I feel it was wrong to scare the guy off like that. If a salesman comes to my door and offers me something, or someone on the street, or a clerk in a shop, I sweetly decline if I don't want it, or I show interest if I do. There was no reason to make it personal. I do scads of stuff for free on this forum, but I have received remuneration for others. Rjays upfrontness is maybe a little brash for some, but to me it wasn't. He just wanted to make things clear from the start. Pretty reasonable I'd say. He performs a service for free, if it turns out making the song better than you could have made it you give up a piece of the pie-not the copyrights. Very complicated subject to which I will now take my bow and exit stage left.

But hey, that's only my experience.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1