Looking for a good online course for Piano/Keyboard for a Beginner

Author
drdespair
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2010/11/08 04:48:37 (permalink)

Looking for a good online course for Piano/Keyboard for a Beginner

I am sifting through a lot of junk on line trying to find a decent online piano/keyboard course for Beginners. I though the food supplements industry have it bad but I dont think I have ever seen so many dodgy sites. Trying to find reviews is also pointless as Google is full of site "reviewing" the same 5 sets of software that happen all to have the same rating across all sites.

The only two resources I found so far that seem genuine are PinoNanny and Ricci Adams' Musictheory, the are both free as well.

Any other suggests would be welcome.

DrD

6 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Looking for a good online course for Piano/Keyboard for a Beginner 2010/11/08 08:35:08 (permalink)
    I have a program that I bought for my girls some time back...called Teach Me Piano Deluxe.. I don't know if it's even still available...( a quick google search says maybe not) but it was based on a game concept at the very low levels...play the game, get better and waaaa laaaa you're playing the piano and even reading the music too.

I would search around the  net using google to find something.

TMPD was midi.... hook your midi keyboard to the computer and it would determine your accuracy and progress and move you along....

If the stuff you are looking at is free, get it.  I would also visit a music store to see what type of educational piano software they have in stock.

Spend some time with a live person also is very valuable. They can tell you things that the software can not. So consider taking some lessons from a local teacher that knows what they are doing.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    spacey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8769
    Re:Looking for a good online course for Piano/Keyboard for a Beginner 2010/11/08 09:06:13 (permalink)
    Here. 'nuff said.
    drdespair
    Re:Looking for a good online course for Piano/Keyboard for a Beginner 2010/11/08 09:55:54 (permalink)
    Thanks for the quick feedback. I will make a visit to the local music store and see what they have. I was thinking about the Berklee courses (including the Music Theory) but a grand a pop is a bit steep for my hobbies budget. DrD.
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Looking for a good online course for Piano/Keyboard for a Beginner 2010/11/10 12:34:32 (permalink)
    Drdespair:

Welcome! 

While Spacey's 12-week course appears quite excellent and comprehensive, I'd like to play the devil's advocate for this devil's piano:

Just to encourage youPiano is extremely easy to learn the basics in just 1 week.  I learned it quickly, 'late in life', by playing by ear (the 'better' way to enjoy, IMHO).  (And my weak guitar skills didn't help me)

1) learning the majic (triad) chords in the 12 major keys with the RT hand ... then the LT ... then both hands.  1 hr / day.  The finger positions are the same ... merely shifted for each key.

2) learning the minors and substitutions, later (just a finger (1 semi-note) change)

The whole 'button-pushing' thing took me (and 2 of my kids) about a week to learn.  Of course my kids forgot it all because they're 'un-inspired' for now.  You DrDespair, OTOH, seem inspired.

IOWs, I used one beginner's chord booklet to learn how to hack my piano well enough to play 90% of all songs (i.e., those pop songs and hymns and such that I already knew).

Now I can back up any band or church for 95% of the stuff they throw at me.

If only a web-teacher had taught me that! 

Music theory books (fun!!!!) give you/I the rest (rhythm, bass, treble, etc.).  IMHO, piano-teachers (like vocal coaches) are over-rated. 

And, then, just play with your band or church, immediately (after 1 week) ... and you'll come alive. 

(FWIW, Most mortals play in the 10/12 major keys: usually just: Ab, A, Bb, C, Db, D, Eb, E, F, and G)  TBH: I've never seen a song written in the key of B nor Gb ... though we commonly transpose to these keys when playing by ear)

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    drdespair
    Re:Looking for a good online course for Piano/Keyboard for a Beginner 2010/11/12 05:55:16 (permalink)
    Thanks :) Its great to know I am not the only one who is starting to mess around with the piano a little later then usual.

I am a big proponent of making my own mistakes, so I am taking a similar approach by going sans teacher.  Concetrating on music theory though first, I learn better if I understand the mechanics of whats is happening, so I am trying to wrap my head around intervals and how they are used for chord construction. Also trying to find some free software to drill in the link between notation at the keys.

Somethings I will need to some more digging into, like key signatures. They call say its to simplify notation for pieces with lots of accidentals, but to me it seem to only add another layer of things to remember, back when all this was done on paper I guess it made sense, now in the digital world I would rather see each note as a sharp/flat.

DrD.
    tomas gato
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 130
    Re:Looking for a good online course for Piano/Keyboard for a Beginner 2010/11/29 14:53:15 (permalink)
    Aloha DrD,

Any college level beginning piano class book will do you pretty good.
    Get a basic music book also, something like

Research & Education Association - "Super Review Music Dictionary" by Louis C. Elson so you can understand what musical terms mean. They boast "All you need to know!"  and that is pretty close to the truth.        $8.95
    www.rea.com

Dr. William F. Lee "The Nature of Music" or something like it.  My copy is dated 1968 maybe he did an up-date but it's not necessary - music at this level hasn't changed in ages.  He was a Dean and Professor of Music  at U of Miami and explains everything very concisely and simply and very easy to understand.  The Father of Will Lee bassist on Letterman's show.  Charles Hanson Music & Books.
    My copy cost $1.45. It's out of print but you might find a copy thru amazon or some such.

Ricky Rooksby "How to Write Songs on Keyboards" is outstanding and will show you chord progressions  - a myriad of inversions and HOW TO USE THEM!!!!
    It is on Backbeat Books which I have seen stocked in most Barnes & Nobles.  Worth much more, my copy cost $22.95 in 2005.

Eric Turkel "Arranging Techniques for Synthesists"  Amsco Publications cost me $17.95 copyright 1988 and worth hundreds of dollars.

The key signature is there to tell you what key the tune is written in and which notes are sharped or flatted.

My advice if you are learning to play.

Play in the key of C.  That is the white keys on your piano keyboard.

Impossible to play a "wrong" or "bad" note as long as you hit no black keys.
    Play your bass notes in the left hand one note at a time.
    The root note of each chord. 

C to A to F to G is basic pop. rock, jazz, country or classical progression.  I, VIm, IV, V7. 
    No left hand chords - the sound is too dense that low.
    Don't worry about minor or 7th designation. 
    It is of no consequence at this stage.   

Improvise any melody you want using your right hand. 

First note of tune is best to use doh, me, or sol.  

c note is the 1st note of key or the tonic; doh 
    e note is the 3rd note or the mediant;  mi 
    g note is the 5th note or the dominant;  sol 

last note of tune is always C - the Tonic - doh 

All that being said
    Stay away from human real time teachers
    as most are merely using you to pay their rent.
    At your first meeting, ask him or her to play for you.
    In the style you want to learn to play.
    Pop Rock Jazz Country Classical Sambas Polkas 
    If you are impressed maybe. 
    But even then....it takes time to learn this stuff called music. 
    He's gonna charge you and you won't receive
    much for your money. 
    Teachers are good after you have jumped in and gotten quite wet. 
    Explanations and help pertaining to performance perhaps but even then.............
    Take advice from people you know and TRUST about your music.    

aloha

gato
    post edited by tomas gato - 2010/11/29 15:11:13
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1