Looking for a particular type of vocal mic

Author
Rain
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9736
2010/10/11 00:30:32 (permalink)

Looking for a particular type of vocal mic

Knowing that in the end this all comes down to personal preferences, I tought I'd still give it a try and ask for a few pointers/suggestions.

After years of working on instrumental material, I recently started to mess around w/ vocals again. I am crippled with a fairly low/soft/airy voice and there seems to be a lot of action down there w/ harmonics. Controlling those harmonics obviously isn't one of my talents.

So after going through a bunch of condenser mics w/ dissatisfying results, yesterday I hooked up a SM-58, and bam, there it was - I could hear my voice clearly and focus on the frequencies I have control upon. For once, I felt my vocals were in tune.

My wife, a brutally honest classically trained professional singer/vocal coach, insists that my voice is indeed in tune, but despite all my efforts, I cannot seem to  capture it - except w/ a 58.

Do you guys have any recommendation for a condenser that would maybe have a similar response curve? Until now, everything I've tried (engaging the hi-pass filter on the mics, on my preamp, eq-ing, etc) just didn't cut it. The 58's sweet spot seems to be right where I need it, but being a dynamic, it lacks something subtle...
post edited by Rain - 2010/10/11 10:42:49

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...

11 Replies Related Threads

Lanceindastudio
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4604
    Re:Looking for a particular type of vocal cic 2010/10/11 00:45:26 (permalink)
    If the 58 works, work with it man-

Many VERY famous people use a dynamic 58 or 57 in recordings.

if you like the sound, work with it!

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
    i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
    Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
    Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
    Presonus Eureka
    Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
    Lanceindastudio
    Re:Looking for a particular type of vocal cic 2010/10/11 04:29:11 (permalink)

i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Presonus Eureka
    skullsession
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1765
    Re:Looking for a particular type of vocal cic 2010/10/11 09:58:00 (permalink)
    I agree with Lance.

If it's working for you, and you already own it...you're ahead of the curve.

Until someone specifically says...."Dude...why do your vocals sound like they were done with a 58?", I wouldn't throw money at a problem that doesn't exist!

A 58 through a good preamp, decent EQ, smart compression.....you could rule the world!

FYI:  Rumor contends that Bono used a handheld 58 (or Beta 58) on vocals for Joshua Tree.  I'm not a HUGE U2 fan...but that album was several times platinum - 25 million+ sold.

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    Rain
    Re:Looking for a particular type of vocal mic 2010/10/11 11:05:21 (permalink)
    Thanks guys. Since it works, the 58 will indeed remain my vocal mic for the time being. Still, I'm curious as to what other options could be. 

Those Gauge microphones look interesting (and affordable). I'll have to check them out. Thanks Lance. :)

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Looking for a particular type of vocal mic 2010/10/11 14:04:42 (permalink)
    Yea, use the 58.  Nobody sez you have to use an LCD.

You might look at a new preamp to drive it - might be just the ticket.  $300 for the Gap Pre, $500 for the Focusrite ISA One and on up.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Ron Vogel
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:Looking for a particular type of vocal mic 2010/10/11 14:43:25 (permalink)
    I agree...if the sm58 works...exploit it!

However, if you are looking for LDC's, a good FET mic would probably work the best. I used to use an AKG C4000B, and it might be right up your alley for breathy stuff. You can't yell into it, but it also makes a nice mic for acoustic instruments. The Mojave MA201 FET may also be a good choice for you.

I'm stuck in the past, but my foot's tapping forward 
    Ron Vogel Soundclick page
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:Looking for a particular type of vocal mic 2010/10/11 15:03:32 (permalink)
    an obvious step up, that keeps you in the same ballpark with the 58, would be a SM7b

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

ohhey
    • Total Posts : 11676
    Re:Looking for a particular type of vocal mic 2010/10/11 15:58:15 (permalink)
    Rain

Knowing that in the end this all comes down to personal preferences, I tought I'd still give it a try and ask for a few pointers/suggestions.

After years of working on instrumental material, I recently started to mess around w/ vocals again. I am crippled with a fairly low/soft/airy voice and there seems to be a lot of action down there w/ harmonics. Controlling those harmonics obviously isn't one of my talents.

So after going through a bunch of condenser mics w/ dissatisfying results, yesterday I hooked up a SM-58, and bam, there it was - I could hear my voice clearly and focus on the frequencies I have control upon. For once, I felt my vocals were in tune.

My wife, a brutally honest classically trained professional singer/vocal coach, insists that my voice is indeed in tune, but despite all my efforts, I cannot seem to  capture it - except w/ a 58.

Do you guys have any recommendation for a condenser that would maybe have a similar response curve? Until now, everything I've tried (engaging the hi-pass filter on the mics, on my preamp, eq-ing, etc) just didn't cut it. The 58's sweet spot seems to be right where I need it, but being a dynamic, it lacks something subtle...

What preamp are you using ? A good preamp can make a big difference with SM-58 and 57.  If you already have a good preamp maybe the SM7b would be the one to try.
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:Looking for a particular type of vocal mic 2010/10/11 16:24:22 (permalink)
    Hi Rain,

If you're used to performing live (a lot), I wonder if what you're experiencing is that you most comfortable "working" the 58... as opposed to a LDC???

If that's your comfort zone, then you may indeed be best recording with the 58.
    While recording with the 58, you might also slap up an LDC and add that in for a little more detail.

From the way you describe your voice, I'd think that a nice tube mic might be worth checking out.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Lanceindastudio
    Re:Looking for a particular type of vocal mic 2010/10/11 23:58:42 (permalink)
    I have the ECM87 and I love it-
    Also, MCA Sp-1 is a cheap mic that is definitely worth checking out-
    http://www.pssl.com/MXL-S...o-Microphone-With-Clip

i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Presonus Eureka
    Rain
    Re:Looking for a particular type of vocal mic 2010/10/13 22:39:17 (permalink)
    Thanks for the suggestions, guys. :) I'll keep on shopping but I'll rely on the 58 unless I stumble upon something that really works for me. I'll also test different preamps as suggested.

As a matter of fact, I just spent some time re-listening to the last few takes I had done w/ the 58 last weekend, and I'm fairly sure I'll be able to put something decent together w/ it. Even if those were only tests, my level of confidence and my greater ability at working the 58 clearly are an advantage and the sound itself is workable.
    As Jim pointed, there is the habit factor I guess. Though I've had the opportunity to record using a few different models, including some expensive ones, my experience w/ them is in no way comparable to my good old stage mic.

Thanks again. :)

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1