Looking for a reasonably decent Banjo and Mandalin Sound

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Vettetech
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 200
2011/11/30 06:58:24 (permalink)

Looking for a reasonably decent Banjo and Mandalin Sound

Can anyone recommend something that could be made to sound respectively close? I would love to add some to a project but don't know anyone. I could get by playing them (but not well) if I had the instruments but would like to see if I can find some synth or sample to do the job.

I have some tucked away on about 600 Ensoniq Disks which I need to convert some day. I've already converted a few (thank you ChickenSys Translator - and for those who didn't know the Free Kontakt has the Translater Technology imbedded in it so it can read my ASR-10 CDs and even import them) but I am looking for more instant gratification right now.

Suggestions, Thanks

Joe..

40 Replies Related Threads

keith
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3883
    Re:Looking for a reasonably decent Banjo and Mandalin Sound 2011/11/30 07:53:10 (permalink)
    Chris Hein Guitars has very nice mandolin and banjo... you can buy them separately here:  http://www.soundsondemand.com/sort1.asp/best_service_chris_hein/en/3

BTW, the first one would cost you $77, then the second one would be an "add-on" so would only be $54.
    daryl1968
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7385
    Re:Looking for a reasonably decent Banjo and Mandalin Sound 2011/11/30 07:53:25 (permalink)
    It depends how 'upfront' the banjo will be in the mix but I have got away with the banjo on TTS-1 Eq'd and sunk in the mix before. I am pretty sure that therer is a Mandolin in Dimension Pro under 'World' or maybe in one of the expansion packs under 'world'.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 23241
    Re:Looking for a reasonably decent Banjo and Mandalin Sound 2011/11/30 08:22:51 (permalink)
    The problem with the synths is, for the most part, they sound like synths. 

It takes a certain skill level to even get them close to sounding real. Not impossible, just something that you have to work at a bit.... another skill set to learn. 

There are a few options,,,,one of which is to search these and other musician forums to find those players who would be willing to contribute their time and talents to the project.  Lots of people here collab all the time for fun. Ask around..... and check your PM. 

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    konradh
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2499
    Re:Looking for a reasonably decent Banjo and Mandalin Sound 2011/11/30 08:39:21 (permalink)
    Vir2's Acoustic Legends HD has a really good mandolin.  It has a great single picked sound and does a fantastic tremelo by using the mod wheel.  I use it a lot and am not afraid to put it out front.  The banjo is also good if you stay away from the lowest two or three notes.

You will get a slew of good acoustic guitars in this package (which is the real aim of it).  Although it is not as good or flexible as RealGuitar, it has some good solo and strumming patches.

This runs under Kontakt and a free Kontakt player is included.

I was in a hurry for this and ordered direct from Vir2 and they were really good to work with.  If you have time to shop around, however, you can find it for around $199.

http://www.vir2.com/instruments/acoustic-legends-hd
    evansmalley
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 712
    Re:Looking for a reasonably decent Banjo and Mandalin Sound 2011/12/01 05:54:54 (permalink)
    Have you ever considered playing or having some else play the "actual" instruments? That's a big timesaver for me. Just a tip...

(I've got both of 'em and would be happy to do it)

Win7 Pro 64 bit sp1, i7-960 Intel processor, 8 gig RAM, SSD 64gig boot drive, Samsung F3 1TB D drive, nVidia Quadro 600 video card, Gigabyte X58A mobo, LG Blu-ray drive, 500 Gig E, F Drives, dual-monitors: 26" each, 2 X Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 ASIO hardware I/O's, Tascam US-428 control surface, Sonar 8.5.3 and X1 Producer, Avid Media Composer 5.0.4, Vintage 42-input Amek console, much outboard analog audio gear, acoustic world instruments, and noise toys! 
    LANEY
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1223
    Re:Looking for a reasonably decent Banjo and Mandalin Sound 2011/12/01 08:06:22 (permalink)
    I agree with the monkey ;)

i7/16GB ram
    Win 7 x64
    SONAR X2 Producer x64
    VS-700 C&R

Octa-Capture
    Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -28.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4666
    Re:Looking for a reasonably decent Banjo and Mandalin Sound 2011/12/01 08:28:59 (permalink)
    As other have said the main issue is not so much the sounds but how you play them.

But Lyrical Distortion have a reasonable Banjo and Mandolin sample libraries with several articulations. They are compatable with  the full version of Kontakt, but also SFZ and a a few other formats, so you could use them in Dim Pro or SFZ player.

The big plus they are on sale for $10 each

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 8 Pro,  Sonar X3b 64 bit (producer). Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    yorolpal
    • Total Posts : 10997
    Re:Looking for a reasonably decent Banjo and Mandalin Sound 2011/12/01 10:32:36 (permalink)
    I would love to find a fabulous mandolin set...preferably one that runs under Kontakt with all the current scripting.  Unfortunately ol Chris Hein's is not it.  At least not to my ears.  Pretty lame.

But....Hey oh!....just went and listened to the Lyrical Distortion stuff..whoo hoo.  And only $10 bucks.  Thanks so much Glyn, ol pal!!  Merry Xmas!
    post edited by yorolpal - 2011/12/01 13:10:53

http://www.myspace.com/doghouserileyhisownself

Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

Sonar X3E Expanded Producer Edition 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 7 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 12 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    Vettetech
    Re:Looking for a reasonably decent Banjo and Mandalin Sound 2011/12/01 11:14:10 (permalink)
    Thanks to all for the suggestions and the offers. I may just take some of those up!

I Pulled out my old list I had (dating myself) of Ensoniq ASR-10 sample disks and CD's. The ASR\CD1 has a Country and Western folder on it. I used Kontakt to import them and then gave them a try. I Found out why I never used them 20 years ago. Other then the plucking mid-range banjo they were terrible.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and I may be reaching out to some when I'm at that point.

Joe..
    jps
    • Total Posts : 182
    Re:Looking for a reasonably decent Banjo and Mandalin Sound 2011/12/01 11:20:13 (permalink)
    Glyn Barnes

As other have said the main issue is not so much the sounds but how you play them.

But Lyrical Distortion have a reasonable Banjo and Mandolin sample libraries with several articulations. They are compatable with  the full version of Kontakt, but also SFZ and a a few other formats, so you could use them in Dim Pro or SFZ player.

The big plus they are on sale for $10 each

Thank you for the link , Glyn Barnes . 
    I`m downloading the Mandolin as I type  :-)

All the best
    Jan
    JohnoL
    • Total Posts : 193
    Re:Looking for a reasonably decent Banjo and Mandalin Sound 2011/12/02 11:17:30 (permalink)
    konradh

Vir2's Acoustic Legends HD has a really good mandolin.  It has a great single picked sound and does a fantastic tremelo by using the mod wheel.  I use it a lot and am not afraid to put it out front.  The banjo is also good if you stay away from the lowest two or three notes.

You will get a slew of good acoustic guitars in this package (which is the real aim of it).  Although it is not as good or flexible as RealGuitar, it has some good solo and strumming patches.

This runs under Kontakt and a free Kontakt player is included.

I was in a hurry for this and ordered direct from Vir2 and they were really good to work with.  If you have time to shop around, however, you can find it for around $199.

http://www.vir2.com/instruments/acoustic-legends-hd

Every time I look at this type of software it seems like they are geared towards keyboard players.
    Do any of these packages have something (like BIAB) where you can enter a chord progression and a pattern?

konradh
    Re:Looking for a reasonably decent Banjo and Mandalin Sound 2011/12/02 11:28:44 (permalink)
    RealGuitar has a function called Pattern Manager that lets you enter chords on a chart and then select one of the strumming patterns from its library.  Not exactly what you want, maybe, and not my favorite feature of the program, but it works for some people.  I don't use that feature anymore.

They also sell the Strumulator interface for use with all their virtual guitars.  I have not used it so I don't know how a guitar player would like it.  www.musiclab.com
    For strumming, the Acoustic Legends has an interface I am not crazy about, but you may like it OK.  It has one note for G major downstroke, one note for G minor downstroke, one for G major upstroke, etc. with the various types of grouped in octaves.  It has a limited chord library, but it's not bad.  I think the solo guitars are more its focus.  I greatly prefer RealGuitar for sound and capabilities, but I have both—it's good to have different sounds.
    I play keyboards and guitar so I am OK with putting notes in a staff for the chords and notes below for the downstrokes, upstrokes, mutes, etc, but I understand that is not everyone's cup of tea.
    post edited by konradh - 2011/12/02 11:34:54
    rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    Re:Looking for a reasonably decent Banjo and Mandalin Sound 2011/12/02 11:38:32 (permalink)
    Here's a Banjo SFZ instrument I put together recently using samples I found from Philharmonia.  

FREE BANJO

Unzip the file, park the Banjo folder in Dimension's Multisample folder, open it with the second loading browser in Dim.  You can save it as a Program if you want, using the first icon to the right of the top Program browser.

This Banjo set sounds pretty good to me.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    Vettetech
    Re:Looking for a reasonably decent Banjo and Mandalin Sound 2011/12/02 12:30:06 (permalink)
    Thank you all for the responses, offers, links, and samples. Very much appreciated.

Now to make some music.

Joe..
    benjaminfrog
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 347
    Re:Looking for a reasonably decent Banjo and Mandalin Sound 2011/12/02 12:43:27 (permalink)
    I've got the Chris Hein and Vir2 banjos. Both great. Another less expensive, but still good, alternative is Front Porch Banjo:

http://www.frontporchband.com/
    JonD
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2125
    Re:Looking for a reasonably decent Banjo and Mandalin Sound 2011/12/02 13:35:23 (permalink)
    Here ya go -- and a bargain for the bundle! (Requires Kontakt):

http://www.boldersounds.net/bob-american-folk-p-8.html

Sonar X3e PE, Win7 x64, Intel i7 2600K, Intel DZ68DB, 16GB RAM, Radeon HD5450, Focusrite Saffire 14 Pro, Event ALP Monitors, ATH-M50s, Various plugins, My lucky hat.
    Vettetech
    Re:Looking for a reasonably decent Banjo and Mandalin Sound 2011/12/02 20:42:19 (permalink)
    rbowser

Here's a Banjo SFZ instrument I put together recently using samples I found from Philharmonia.  
    FREE BANJO
    Unzip the file, park the Banjo folder in Dimension's Multisample folder, open it with the second loading browser in Dim.  You can save it as a Program if you want, using the first icon to the right of the top Program browser.

This Banjo set sounds pretty good to me.

Randy B.
    --------------------------

Randy, this is GREAT!!! Thanks so much. I tried a bunch of Banjo samples the last couple of days and this is perfect for what I need.

Thanks again

yorolpal
    Re:Looking for a reasonably decent Banjo and Mandalin Sound 2011/12/02 20:45:14 (permalink)
    And. Thanks to JonD for the Boldersounds heads up...Another great tout!!!

Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

Sonar X3E Expanded Producer Edition 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 7 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 12 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    Vettetech
    Re:Looking for a reasonably decent Banjo and Mandalin Sound 2011/12/02 20:51:45 (permalink)
    Too bad the Bouldersounds don't work for more then 30 minutes with the free Kontakt 5 player. Even if I tried them I wouldn't be able to use them if my understanding is correct, at least without purchasing the whole Kontakt shabang. IF there is another way, do tell.... :)
    rbowser
    Re:Looking for a reasonably decent Banjo and Mandalin Sound 2011/12/02 22:03:47 (permalink)
    Vettetech

...Randy, this is GREAT!!! Thanks so much. I tried a bunch of Banjo samples the last couple of days and this is perfect for what I need...  

Good deal, Vettetech - Glad that Banjo I put together might do for your project.  

I think it covers the full range of the instrument, but you can change the note range for the top and bottom samples if you need.  That kind of SFZ editing is easy to do in Notepad. 

Bolder has neat stuff, and there are a number of free SFZ instruments there that don't require Kontakt, and will work in Dimension--Toy Piano, Music Box, Thumb Piano, Washer and Dryer Hits & Loops, Harmonica and the Mini Sax. You have to sign up for an account and add the products to your cart - but these libraries are completely free.  Most of there things require full Kontakt, as you discovered.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    LANEY
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1223
    Re:Looking for a reasonably decent Banjo and Mandalin Sound 2011/12/02 23:27:14 (permalink)
    YES, Thank you JonD, That acoustic folk is as real as you can get for sound IMO.  Best add on to Kontakt I have bought for $20.

I really enjoy it!

i7/16GB ram
    Win 7 x64
    SONAR X2 Producer x64
    VS-700 C&R

Octa-Capture
    yorolpal
    Re:Looking for a reasonably decent Banjo and Mandalin Sound 2011/12/02 23:43:21 (permalink)
    Just downloaded them myownself.  Hoping the demos didn't lie...they were good.

daveny5
    • Total Posts : 16853
    Re:Looking for a reasonably decent Banjo and Mandalin Sound 2011/12/02 23:48:15 (permalink)
    Even the greatest sample won't sound good if you don't "play" it right. 

Dave
    Computer: Core2Quad, 8GB/2.5TB+, Windows 8 Pro 64-bit, Sonar X2A Producer, Delta 44, Cakewalk UM-3G
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, etc... 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad

Vettetech
    Re:Looking for a reasonably decent Banjo and Mandalin Sound 2011/12/03 05:59:54 (permalink)
    I didn't know that, thank you for that.
    konradh
    Re:Looking for a reasonably decent Banjo and Mandalin Sound 2011/12/26 14:45:54 (permalink)
    Could I get a bit more explanation on installing the Philharmonic Banjo in Dimension Pro? I downloaded, unzipped, and put all the files in a folder called "Philharmonic Banjo" underneath the Dimension Pro Guitars folder. This does not show up in Dim Pro in Sonar. Questions: 1-What is the proper way to install this? 2-The other Dim Pro files seem to be *.flac not *.wav. Am I missing a step? The wav files sound good so I'd like to get this working. Thanks.
    Everything Flows
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 32
    Re:Looking for a reasonably decent Banjo and Mandalin Sound 2011/12/26 15:08:34 (permalink)
    Listening to some of the samples, above, I wonder if what is bothering me is that the individual notes of the synths don't seem to interact with one another at all?  

They all sound like one shot samples, with no cross resonance (not sure if that's the correct term, but you get my meaning.)

Sonar X1 Expanded     Roland Octa-Capture     Win7 64
    Lotsa guitars     Roland TD20     Yamaha Motif XF6
    konradh
    Re:Looking for a reasonably decent Banjo and Mandalin Sound 2011/12/26 15:14:46 (permalink)
    Could I get a bit more explanation on installing the Philharmonic Banjo in Dimension Pro? I downloaded, unzipped, and put all the files in a folder called "Philharmonic Banjo" underneath the Dimension Pro Guitars folder. This does not show up in Dim Pro in Sonar. Questions: 1-What is the proper way to install this? 2-The other Dim Pro files seem to be *.flac not *.wav. Am I missing a step? The wav files sound good so I'd like to get this working. Thanks.
    MarioD
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 439
    Re:Looking for a reasonably decent Banjo and Mandalin Sound 2011/12/26 17:45:06 (permalink)
    I do not use Dimension Pro but maybe it needs the compressed *.flac files and not the uncompressed wavs? If Dimension Pro automatically uncompresses the files it may need the files in that form. Note that flac files are lossless files so there should be no difference in the sound.

Good luck - MarioD
    rbowser
    Re:Looking for a reasonably decent Banjo and Mandalin Sound 2011/12/26 18:14:39 (permalink)
    Catching up on the new posts here - Dimension will find this sample set wherever you park it on your hard drive. But it's easiest to put in the Dim "Multi-sample" folder so you don't have to navigate away from the rest of the Dim patches when you load something. - What I posted isn't a Dim Program, it's a multi-sample set which can be loaded in the second browser in Dim - not the top one, that's just for Programs. Click that multi-sample window and choose the Banjo's SFZ file. If you then want to do some programming and save the results, click the icon to the right of the top browser and save it. But this, and all multi-sample SFZ files can open fine in Dim as described above. NOTE - Dim Does read .wav files, not just .flac files. I don't know what this post meant, "...the individual notes of the synths don't seem to interact with one another..."-- They're one-shot samples of the Banjo, playing like any other simple sample files. They're not looped since the Banjo isn't a sustaining instrument. RB

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1