Looking for audio recording help!

Author
IMTRYING88
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2010/08/15 14:38:09 (permalink)

Looking for audio recording help!

hello everyone,

I just recently got into recording music with MC 5. I'm trying to record audio with a condenser mic and usb cord but its not working. From what i have read from the forum i might need a better sound card then the one my laptop comes with. i dont know much on using these programs or  if there is a simpler one to use for beginners. I've tried to experiment a little on vocals with a cheap mic over instrumental tracks but quality is horrible. I dont really know how much info is needed for everyones input, but maybe someone can help me by telling me what are the requirements to record audio on tracks with MC 5. It's just a hobby for now so i'm trying to keep cost minimal. Any suggestions are welcomed.

3 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Looking for audio recording help! 2010/08/15 14:51:06 (permalink)
    Using a USB mic is not a good idea.... but it is possible.... Help is Here

Most people start out as hobbists, and add other tools to make the music better. In MC5 there are a few good synths...TTS and Sound Center that sound really good. They are midi based.

Usually the first step towards a better sounding system involved upgrading from a factory sound card to a dedicated Sound interface.....

Welcome and enjoy the hobby..... ask questions here if you get stuck or need to know something to help you out.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    IMTRYING88
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:Looking for audio recording help! 2010/08/15 18:58:48 (permalink)
        What other kind of mic can i use? Do you recommend a certain type of sound interface?
    57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:Looking for audio recording help! 2010/08/15 23:04:59 (permalink)
    Any dynamic mic that can plug into your sound card's mic input. There are adapters you can buy to match the plugs to the jacks. Most computer sound cards have a 1/8" jack, and most mics come with either XLR or 1/4" plugs.
    If you have a mixer with phantom power, you can use a condenser mic. Condensers require an additional power source, which is what phantom power is. They are generally more sensitive than dynamic mics, but are also more fragile.
    You should be able to use an external audio interface that uses a USB connection. Do you have unused USB ports?
    If you have a FireWire port, you can get an external interface that connects via a FireWire cable.
    Good USB audio interfaces can be bought for ~$100.
    You'll need to figure out what inputs you need, and how many. Will you need phantom power? Only if you want to get a condenser mic.
    Will you want MIDI ports to connect a MIDI keyboard or controller, or MIDI sound module? These days, not a big concern since many keyboards can connect with a USB cable, if you have a free USB port, but handy if you already have a MIDI keyboard which doesn't have USB ports.
    Music Creator only allows recording or playing 2 channels at a time (not to be confused with Tracks in a musical project; you only get a stereo output but you can use dozens of tracks), so you won't need an interface with 8 outputs.
    I'm a hobbyist, too, but have spent quite a bit on this hobby, though not as much as some folks.
    Tell us about your computer; how fast, what OS, how much memory, what sound card?
    Audio interfaces from M-Audio, Presonus, Focusrite, Cakewalk and others are good choices, most of the time, depending on your system.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1