Looking for basic 2 channel USB or firewire Preamp

Author
Michael8it
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 122
2008/05/15 18:31:33 (permalink)

Looking for basic 2 channel USB or firewire Preamp

I am building a home studio and will be recording some acoustic guitar and other acoustic instruments. I am looking for a simple but quality USB or Firewire based preamp that will not break the bank.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

5 Replies Related Threads

Cromberger
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Looking for basic 2 channel USB or firewire Preamp 2008/05/15 19:28:57 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Michael8it

I am building a home studio and will be recording some acoustic guitar and other acoustic instruments. I am looking for a simple but quality USB or Firewire based preamp that will not break the bank.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Hi, Michael8bit,

I'm not quite sure what you're actually looking for. It sounds like you really want an audio interface, but you said "preamp". While there are preamps available that will output digital signals via S/PDIF, most output line level signals that you would feed into a line input on your soundcard, not via USB or firewire.

If it is really an *interface* that you're looking for (one with microphone inputs/preamps built in) then I'd say the following, based on my own personal experience: The Presonus Firebox (about $300) is a nice interface with drivers that work with Sonar. It's got two input channels with XLR mic/1/4" line inputs and preamps on both channels and phantom power. My writing partner has the Firebox and Sonar 6PE and it works really well. Has good sounding pre's, too.

You could also check out the lower-end Echo products, like Gina, etc.. They also are highly regarded.

Obviously, there are a lot of USB and firewire 2-channel interfaces available nowadays. I suggest that you do a search on this forum and the internet with an eye towards which interfaces have drivers that are known to work well with Sonar and also sound good. Make your decision based on what features you want/need, price point and, most importantly, in my view, how well the device is known to work with Sonar.

Good luck in your search for a new soundcard!

Best regards,
    Bill

Sonar Platinum
    Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
    Studio Cat DAW
    Intel I-950 Processor
    6 Gigs RAM
    M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R Audio Interface
    Mackie HR824 Monitors
    Michael8it
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 122
    RE: Looking for basic 2 channel USB or firewire Preamp 2008/05/15 20:47:16 (permalink)
    That is along the lines of what I am looking for.

Anyone know anything about the Tascam US 144? Does it work with Sonar?
    IzovAge
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 398
    RE: Looking for basic 2 channel USB or firewire Preamp 2008/05/16 17:38:28 (permalink)

You'd be better off going with the Edirol UA-25. Alot of people using it with Sonar with good results.
    MarlboroMan23
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 776
    RE: Looking for basic 2 channel USB or firewire Preamp 2008/05/16 23:09:56 (permalink)

most authors of novels regarded as classics are dead, classic novels are, therefore, most likely to be written by dead people.
    http://www.soundclick.com/opaquesounds
    j boy
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2729
    RE: Looking for basic 2 channel USB or firewire Preamp 2008/05/16 23:35:56 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: IzovAge

You'd be better off going with the Edirol UA-25. Alot of people using it with Sonar with good results.

I've used the UA-25 and I would have to say the USB 1.1 is not up to the job for serious audio work. If you want to go with Edirol I think the UA-101 is USB 2.0... but why not go with the FA-66 or FA-101 FireWire? USB 1.1 has very limited throughput! I speak from my experience in this regard. Stay away from USB 1.1.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1