Helpful ReplyLooking for some REAL "getting started" tutorials

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
patm300e
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 845
Re: Looking for some REAL "getting started" tutorials 2017/09/06 11:25:37 (permalink)
TheMaartian
What do we need to make this easier? Why, a beginner's how-to video on making videos of SONAR.
I've been looking at the free OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) alternative to the paid Mirillis' Action! and Voicemeeter Banana. Guess I should make a video about making a video.

Never used OBS, but I have used a Free Screen capture program called HyperCam at http://hyperionics.com/.
It works pretty good, creates AVI files that you can import into Sonar and do Voice over.  If you are very good, it can also capture Audio with the live recording. 

I typically come up with a script and while I am just talking it through (without recording), I record the video.  Then I will create voice over using Sonar. Comping rules for Voice over!

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Looking for some REAL "getting started" tutorials 2017/09/07 01:41:45 (permalink)
Well I have always been a RTFM guy, but it seems that videos are the latest trend in educational materials.  I have copies of Scott's books, Sonar Power 8, X1, and X3.  Great resources!  But it seems that the younger generation today relies more on YouTube videos , than printed text for information.

I have also enrolled in a few online courses, which rely totally on videos for the course lectures. But I think that I can skim a textbook much faster than the time required to watch all of these videos.

Personally I would rather search an ebook for a term, or use an index or table of contents, to find what I am looking for.  Can't do that with a video, except by burning time, which annoys me.  If I find a video that is focused on what I need great, but that can be hit or miss.

That said, I think that Cakewalk's competition has already figured out the video angle.  It's fine if Cakewalk and community want to rely on the RTFM mantra, but doing so only lets the competition get ahead! 

Onboarding new users should be a priority for Cakewalk if it wants to grow it's market share.  Please pay attention to what the competition is offering!

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
filtersweep
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 194
Re: Looking for some REAL "getting started" tutorials 2017/09/07 02:35:58 (permalink)
I think many hobbyists buy Platinum when all they really need is Music Creator. I include myself in that group and I don't regret it. We do it for the same reason we buy more computer, more camera, more whatever than we really need because on some level we enjoy the complexity and potential of professional quality products and, importantly, the price difference is just not bank breaking for many hobbyists (you want an expensive hobby? Buy a boat!).  I dont know whether the OP fits into the hobbyist  category or not, but I do think it would serve Cake well to recognize that, even though they produce a lower level, simpler product, the price barrier to entry to the professional product is low enough that it no doubt attracts a lot of non-professionals . A few well produced truly beginner level Sonar videos might just prevent some users from migrating away with buyer's remorse as well as entice buyers.

Sonar Platinum (lifetime). Kurzweil PC3X. Native Intruments S61. Native Instruments Maschine Micro Mk2, Roland OctaCapture. JBL 4328 monitors and 4312 sub. Windows 10. Intel 6700X, 32 gB RAM,  3 Crucial SSD (250/500/500). Komplete 10, Ample Sound SG, AAS Lounge Lizard/Strum/Strings/Chromo/UltraAnalog/Tass, Addictive Drums 2, a few others.
Kalle Rantaaho
Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7005
Re: Looking for some REAL "getting started" tutorials 2017/09/07 07:25:30 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby chuckebaby 2017/09/07 13:36:55
What puzzles me is how youngsters today are so "YouTube orientated" that even for a very basic question (like Export or inserting a soft synth) they start to look for videos in the net. We see every week posts with " I've spent hours looking for a video...", when typing a search word in Help-files would give the answer in ten seconds. Is reading written text really so "out" today?

Videos are superior in explaining a bit more advanced techniques or the use of different FX, as they have sound.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
Joe_A
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 458
Re: Looking for some REAL "getting started" tutorials 2017/09/07 10:47:45 (permalink)
Ha! (Really double-Ha) well said!!

jambrose@cfl.rr.com  Sonar Plat. Lifetime. Started in Sonar 4, each through 8.5.3PE.
Scarlett 18i202nd gen., Edirol FA-101, M-Audio Firewire 410, AMD Phenom II 1045T six core processor, 8GB DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6450, dual displays, 1.5 TB SATA HD, USB 2, Firewire 1394A, 1394B, 18/22 mixer, EV Q-66, Yamaha HS50M monitors, few guitars, Fender Cybertwin SE, Fender Cyber foot controller, Boss RC20-XL, misc pedals, etc. Win Home Prem 64 bit.
garrigus
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8599
Re: Looking for some REAL "getting started" tutorials 2017/09/07 11:49:07 (permalink)
abacab
Well I have always been a RTFM guy, but it seems that videos are the latest trend in educational materials.  I have copies of Scott's books, Sonar Power 8, X1, and X3.  Great resources!

Thanks very much, John! Glad you enjoyed the books.
--
Scott R. Garrigus - http://www.garrigus.com
* Cakewalk SONAR Video Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/u...gus?sub_confirmation=1
* Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series: http://garrigus.com/?PowerBooks
* Publisher of the DigiFreq music recording newsletter: http://www.digifreq.com/
* Publisher of the NewTechReview consumer tech newsletter: http://www.newtechreview.com/
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Looking for some REAL "getting started" tutorials 2017/09/07 13:48:45 (permalink)
Kalle Rantaaho
What puzzles me is how youngsters today are so "YouTube orientated" that even for a very basic question (like Export or inserting a soft synth) they start to look for videos in the net. We see every week posts with " I've spent hours looking for a video...", when typing a search word in Help-files would give the answer in ten seconds. Is reading written text really so "out" today?

Videos are superior in explaining a bit more advanced techniques or the use of different FX, as they have sound.

I agree, but it seems that the world has changed. 

Educational materials are being delivered mostly by video now.  If you have taken any online classes in the past few years, even university course lectures and TA tutorials are done by video, so you do not actually need to attend in person on campus.  You can pause, rewind, play until you understand each topic.

Of course, there are usually required reading lists in the course syllabus as well, so written text may not be dead yet, but I think young people are being imprinted with this new technology for initial encounters with a subject.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1