Loop Recording - VSTi

Author
progtronic
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 75
2010/07/23 14:23:51 (permalink)

Loop Recording - VSTi

I'm not recording live audio, just MIDI data.. routed to a VST instrument, into the sequencer. I'd like to be able to keep a section looping in the sequencer and input notes with my (music keyboard) controller as the part is looping.

When creating a drum track, for instance.. I'd like to start recording (within the loop), play in a hi-hat, then add a kick.. then a snare. All while being able to hear what I input, in the previous passes of the loop, in real time. 

The problem is, with each pass, the previous clip is auto-muted. Well, sort of 'mostly' muted. Some bits and pieces from the previous takes seem to come through here and there.

So, I'd like to hear the entire loop build up as I'm adding data.. without each previous pass being muted.

I have to stop the sequencer and re-play the loop to be able to hear all the takes put together. I leave the piano roll up as I'm recording, which helps illustrate what's happening, in real time.. as I record.

As the loop starts again, you see previous data disappear. When you hit 'stop'.. the previous takes suddenly appear.. and you can hear them when you play back the loop.

I'm using the following settings:

Transport > Record options:
-Sound on Sound (Blend)
-Store takes in a single track

I've tried tweaking the various settings and experimenting with auto punch, storing takes in separate tracks, creating new layers on overlap, grouping clips.. etc.. with no luck. 

I think being able to disable the clip auto mute (during a loop), might be the answer. Just can't find any way to do that.

If anyone can help, or has any ideas, I'd appreciate it.
post edited by progtronic - 2010/07/23 14:25:08

http://www.progtronic.com/

Cakewalk SONAR Producer
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
ASUS P6X58D Premium, Intel Core i7-960, Crucial 12GB SDRAM DDR3 1333
2 x Crucial 64GB RealSSD C300, 2 x WD Caviar Black 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB
ASUS GeForce GT 240
Cooler Master; HAF 932, GeminII S. Corsair HX 750W
Cakewalk; A-500S, UA-25EX. 2 x KRK Rokit 8, Sennheiser HD 280 Pro

4 Replies Related Threads

progtronic
    Re:Loop Recording - VSTi 2010/07/23 15:18:54 (permalink)
    Update:

In my previous attempts, I had 'Input Quantize' = enabled (Sixteenth).

When I disable 'Input Quantize', and start loop recording.. I can hear the notes input in the previous passes (un-quantized/not being displayed in the piano roll).

So.. When input quantize is on, it will not play back the previously recorded data,  that the real-time quatize had to adjust in the background.. on the fly. Only the few notes that I might have actually played on the mark (that didn't need quantizing).. play back during the loop recording.

I have to hit stop/play, in order to hear what 'Input Quantize', actually quantized.. during the loop recording.

Hope there's an adjustment for that.. I'll keep looking.

Would also like to be able to see previous takes in the piano roll as I'm loop recording as well.

Cakewalk SONAR Producer
    ASUS GeForce GT 240
    Cooler Master; HAF 932, GeminII S. Corsair HX 750W
    Cakewalk; A-500S, UA-25EX. 2 x KRK Rokit 8, Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:Loop Recording - VSTi 2010/07/23 16:11:40 (permalink)
    So.. When input quantize is on, it will not play back the previously recorded data,  that the real-time quatize had to adjust in the background.. on the fly. Only the few notes that I might have actually played on the mark (that didn't need quantizing).. play back during the loop recording.

I have to hit stop/play, in order to hear what 'Input Quantize', actually quantized.. during the loop recording.

I'm pretty sure that that input quantize is not real time, meaning it will quantize your midi after the recording is stopped.

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    jasonthurley
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 264
    Re:Loop Recording - VSTi 2010/07/23 16:25:29 (permalink)
    "it will quantize your midi after the recording is stopped."

Agree on this comment....

I would not Auto Quantize on recording... you can easily select the MIDI data afterwards and quantize it then...

If things are disappearing from your view it might be a RAM issue as the computer cannot process everything it chooses performance over what you see(That option(to prioritize what your computer does- either process or visual) is in the Windows Control Panel... you do not need to change anything though)
    progtronic
    Re:Loop Recording - VSTi 2010/07/23 18:10:45 (permalink)
    jasonthurley

"it will quantize your midi after the recording is stopped."

Agree on this comment....

I would not Auto Quantize on recording... you can easily select the MIDI data afterwards and quantize it then...

If things are disappearing from your view it might be a RAM issue as the computer cannot process everything it chooses performance over what you see(That option(to prioritize what your computer does- either process or visual) is in the Windows Control Panel... you do not need to change anything though)

Well.. it's definitely doing something when it's turned on during a loop recording. When it's on, you may only hear a few scattered notes. When it's off, you hear all the notes you played. 

My best guess is that it's at least trying to quantize, because when you stop it.. the notes you entered (but didn't hear while the loop was wrapping around) are suddenly there and quantized. So maybe they need to rename it "Auto Quantize On Stop", or something.

I'll have to get used to quantizing everything afterwards. Which can get really ugly considering the horribly complicated, (too many) notes hungry music I produce.. 

And.. regarding the display (or lack) of entered data in the piano roll, during loop recording.. pretty sure that's by design. I've tried every pull-down menu, and rummaged through all the dialog boxes I could find.. looking for anything that might help me tweak that.

Still no luck..

Here's my spec's btw:

Cakewalk SONAR Producer
    Cakewalk A-500S, Cakewalk UA-25EX

Cakewalk SONAR Producer