Loops 101

Author
edrummer
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2006/05/13 23:29:17 (permalink)

Loops 101

Suppose I want to use loops to compose a 12 bar blues in the key of C major. I find a suitable guitar line that vamps on a C major chord. At bar 5 and 6 I want the guitar to play a F major chord. Do I shift the pitch for bars 5 and 6? What if I want to use a more complex chord such as an augmented chord/ Can I do that with a loop?
I am obviously a newbie. Can anyone recommend a tutorial/book that goes into more detail than the "Copy loop A to measure one, drag it for 8 measures and you now have a song" approach.

"Music is literally the sound of joy and devotion. It is a gift from God to allow us to express the incredible ecstacy of our inner nature." Kenny Werner from Effortless Mastery

3 Replies Related Threads

Kicker
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 477
    RE: Loops 101 2006/05/15 01:10:09 (permalink)
    You can't create an augmented chord from a loop of a major chord. I don't use loops (aka "groove clips") at all, but I sort of know what their intended uses are. You can change tempo/time signature and your groove clips will keep up, or you can transpose a composition and your groove clips will change pitch accordingly.

If you want chords for a major scale - I, IIm, IIIm, IV, V, VIm, VIIdim, I - I think that you have to create a seperate clip for each degree. Once you have those, you can move them around or transpose the song.
    yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: Loops 101 2006/05/15 01:31:27 (permalink)
    As kicker said, groove clips won't change the chord structure, they'll only shift the whole chord equally. This works well for small timing/key changes, but is not very natural sounding past say, 4 or 5 semitones.

This kind of groove-clip looping is great for rough arrangements and allowing drag-and-drop flexibility, but it doesn't sound realistic if you're using drastic changes.

There are tons of loop CDs available that have all kinds of key- and time-coded riffs (already "acidized" or "groove-clip-ified") that you can drop right into Sonar (Funk riffs in all keys and lots of time signatures at many tempos, for instance). There are also freely-available loop librabies that do the same. Your best bet is to find stuff that already very close to what you want, and use groove-clip features to tweak stuff that's already close.

Cheers.
    Frank Basile
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 466
    RE: Loops 101 2006/05/15 15:03:07 (permalink)
    Hi,
    I'm not sure on exactly which CW products it comes on, but look for a CW bundle file named "Sonar Audio and Midi demo 2.cwb". It's either on your CW disk, or it may have been installed with your program. Check it out because it uses loops to create a blues progression, and you'll see how it was done to change the pitches.
    post edited by Frank Basile - 2006/05/15 15:13:12

-Frank
    Live Multi-Track Drums for your Cakewalk Projects... http://www.LiveStudioDrums.com/
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1