Lost with comping

Author
vdvorn
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 126
2017/05/23 02:18:28 (permalink)

Lost with comping

Well, guys, I am completely lost with this comping technology... :(

I used to record vocals by verses, so I started comping in that way. I have recorded 5 takes of the first verse and it was OK. I selected the best takes part for the main track. But when I started to record the second verse it were not a continuation of the first 5 takes, but 6 to 10 takes. So, after recording of the last fourth verse I had a pile of 20 takes, which was rather uncomfortable to manage (the first ones were deep in the bottom)...
But the main problems appeared, when I started comping. The first comp created for the 1 verse was soloed, so I couldn"t work with the 2 verse to create a comp. When I unsoloed it, I could work with another takes, but is played with the takes and was over-driven.

I am thinking about the creating of one more track to copy there all of my comps and put the huge original track to Archive, but may be there a better solution?

I worked before in Adobe Audition, and there I could record the following takes on the same track without problems. The comping is a good technology, but I didn"t find a way to do the same in Sonar.

I would like to get one normal track with some clips in it coming one after another... May be I just need to delete all takes, so it will remain only 5 comps in the track? Please, help.

post edited by vdvorn - 2017/05/23 03:16:14

10 Replies Related Threads

Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Lost with comping 2017/05/23 16:58:48 (permalink)
    A couple things...comping was revamped recently, and one of the major changes was re-using empty lanes so you didn't end up with lots of track lanes. That won't help you much with X3, but at least you know it's not something you're doing wrong. Before these changes, I'd use separate tracks for different song section comps.

I must admit that when X3's comping was introduced it made my head explode. But when I did the tutorial on speed comping, it all fell into place. The recent updates have really made comping a whole lot faster and smoother.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    Re: Lost with comping 2017/05/23 17:15:46 (permalink)
    vdvorn
    Well, guys, I am completely lost with this comping technology... :(

I used to record vocals by verses, so I started comping in that way. I have recorded 5 takes of the first verse and it was OK. I selected the best takes part for the main track. But when I started to record the second verse it were not a continuation of the first 5 takes, but 6 to 10 takes. So, after recording of the last fourth verse I had a pile of 20 takes, which was rather uncomfortable to manage (the first ones were deep in the bottom)...

I usually drag the 2nd Verse takes down into the 1st Verse lanes and then delete the extras.  It helps to keep it manageable.  Then, don't start Comping until you've laid down all the vocals for the track.

vdvorn
    I am thinking about the creating of one more track to copy there all of my comps and put the huge original track to Archive, but may be there a better solution?

That's what I'm doing too.  Probably because I haven't learned the proper technique.

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    vdvorn
    Re: Lost with comping 2017/05/23 19:27:47 (permalink)
    Slugbaby
    I usually drag the 2nd Verse takes down into the 1st Verse lanes and then delete the extras.  It helps to keep it manageable.  Then, don't start Comping until you've laid down all the vocals for the track.

It sounds good, but it is too late for me, pity... :)

Slugbaby
    That's what I'm doing too.  Probably because I haven't learned the proper technique.

Could you please tell step by step how do you create one track after comping?
    vdvorn
    Re: Lost with comping 2017/05/23 19:36:27 (permalink)
    Anderton
    A couple things...comping was revamped recently, and one of the major changes was re-using empty lanes so you didn't end up with lots of track lanes. That won't help you much with X3, but at least you know it's not something you're doing wrong. Before these changes, I'd use separate tracks for different song section comps.

I must admit that when X3's comping was introduced it made my head explode. But when I did the tutorial on speed comping, it all fell into place. The recent updates have really made comping a whole lot faster and smoother.

Well, actually comping is a rather interesting technology. Will it be possible to get the improved version of it in LE? By the way, I have marked some dropouts of the MIDI instruments in the Dim Solo Mode (which is also very useful option by itself), but may be it is because the split area began after the start of the measure...
    Anderton
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Lost with comping 2017/05/23 21:02:59 (permalink)
    X3 will have no further updates, the program was released in late 2013. As to MIDI instrument dropouts, try increasing the MIDI playback buffer in Preferences > MIDI > Playback and Recording.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    JohnEgan
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 543
    Re: Lost with comping 2017/05/24 01:29:06 (permalink)
    Anderton
    I must admit that when X3's comping was introduced it made my head explode. 

LOL, that's probably why my head still hurts, and I still record to single tracks, perhaps I should give comp updates a second chance.
    Any links to the tutorial?  

John Egan
    Sonar Platinum (2017-10),RME-UFX, PC-CPU - i7-5820, 3.3 GHz, 6 core, ASUS X99-AII, 16GB ram, GTX 960, 500 GB SSD, 2TB HDD x 2, Win7 Pro x64,  O8N2 Advanced, Melodyne Studio,.... (2 cats :(,  in the yard).

chuckebaby
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re: Lost with comping 2017/05/24 09:40:44 (permalink)
    The way comping works now is, it expects you to record whole tracks all the way through.
    Much like the OP, I record my songs in sections to get parts perfect. Almost like a form of "Punch in".
    As slugbaby mentioned I drag the verses around to consolidate room. This way when im editing I don't have 50 lanes, while in reality I could shrink that down to 20 lanes.

I don't think this is Sonars fault. its just a matter of the way we work.
    I'd love to see Sonar take advantage of empty lane space somehow.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

vdvorn
    Re: Lost with comping 2017/05/24 11:57:57 (permalink)
    chuckebaby
    The way comping works now is, it expects you to record whole tracks all the way through.
    Much like the OP, I record my songs in sections to get parts perfect. Almost like a form of "Punch in".
    As slugbaby mentioned I drag the verses around to consolidate room. This way when im editing I don't have 50 lanes, while in reality I could shrink that down to 20 lanes.

I don't think this is Sonars fault. its just a matter of the way we work.
    I'd love to see Sonar take advantage of empty lane space somehow.

Actually, I think, both technologies have their advantages. To record the whole track vocals at one time helps to keep the mood and manner of singing, but if the song has a lot of bridges or instrumental parts, recording by verses helps to save the place on HD and to avoid an annoying pause in singing.
    Personally, I use both of the methods, depending upon the song...
    Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    Re: Lost with comping 2017/05/24 13:25:56 (permalink)
    vdvorn
    Slugbaby

It sounds good, but it is too late for me, pity... :)

Slugbaby

Could you please tell step by step how do you create one track after comping?

I don't remember the process step-by-step, I only comp vocals when I'm recording a "final" version of a song that I'll be putting up for public consumption/sale, which is every couple of years.
    Basically, I select each clip that I want to use.  Then, it's the only clip that's audible.  At that point, i Bounce To Track.  That gives me a consolidated track of these clips, and I then archive the Comp Takes.

There's a step-by-step video somewhere on YouTube, showing how to utilize it.

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    vdvorn
    Re: Lost with comping 2017/05/24 14:13:48 (permalink)
    Slugbaby

I don't remember the process step-by-step, I only comp vocals when I'm recording a "final" version of a song that I'll be putting up for public consumption/sale, which is every couple of years.
    Basically, I select each clip that I want to use.  Then, it's the only clip that's audible.  At that point, i Bounce To Track.  That gives me a consolidated track of these clips, and I then archive the Comp Takes.
    There's a step-by-step video somewhere on YouTube, showing how to utilize it.

It's quite enough. Thank you.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1