Loud air hiss and dull repeating popping noise throughout recording

Author
isaiah552
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2008/09/06 10:15:09 (permalink)

Loud air hiss and dull repeating popping noise throughout recording

Let me start by saying, I am no audio expert, and could use all the help I can get with this. I'm using MC 2003and I have this loud air/hiss noise when recording with a mic (I have tried 2 w/ the same results). However, if I plug my acoustic/electric guitar directly up to the pc there is no air/hiss in the dead space on the track but the music ends up sounding "blown out". The main issue though is that I want to be able to record vocals, etc from the mic w/ out a ton of noise in it. Besides the air/ hiss noise, there is also a sort of dot...dot...dot...dot... kind of dull repeating popping all the way through the recording as well. I'm not sure if this is a power issue or what. If so, I would have thought the problem to remain whether I was using the mic or when plugged up directly w/ the instrument. I just want to get a clean recording.

7 Replies Related Threads

57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: Loud air hiss and dull repeating popping noise throughout recording 2008/09/06 10:57:49 (permalink)
    The metronome is on by default, and makes a noise, usually a high hat click sound. Set the tempo to the speed you want, and use the metronome to keep in time to the computer. The tempo is important if you plan on using any MIDI in your projects. You can also turn the met off, or set it to play only when recording.
    Tell us about your computer: how fast is it? How much memory does it have? What sound card is installed? What operating system are you using? (MC 2003 isn't made to work with Vista).
    Often, sampling rate disparities can produce unwanted noise, as can other programs running in the backgroud, especially virus scans.
    Turn off all other programs. Get off the internet, turn off your modem and turn off all virus scans, pop-up blockers and firewalls, including the Windows firewall (Start>Control Panel>Windows Firewall). Turn off the Microsoft system sounds (Start>Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices>Sounds). Turn off the screen saver and wallpaper. Read through the Music Creator help file info for "Improving Audio Performance". Make sure MC and your sound card are using the same sampling rate.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: Loud air hiss and dull repeating popping noise throughout recording 2008/09/06 11:44:21 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forum, first i must point out that your post is kind like saying "my car won't start" we don't have enough info yet to help much. Give us a run down, what kind of computer, what sound card, how much ram, what operating system, what kind of mike, how attached to the computer. These things will help us help you.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    isaiah552
    RE: Loud air hiss and dull repeating popping noise throughout recording 2008/09/06 13:58:11 (permalink)
    Thanks guys for the welcome and I really appreciate the help.
    So here is what I am working with:
    A Dell Optiplex SX260
    Windows XP Pro
    Service Pack 2
    Pentium 4
    2.66 Ghz
    512 MB RAM
    It looks to me like the sound card is a SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
    I am trying to figure out how to update the driver for the sound card now.
    The microphones that I have tried using are:
    1-Shure Prologue 12L; it plugs into the base of the mic with a 3 prong type connector (not sure what it's called) and ends in an 1/4" jack that then plugs into a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter which plugs into the microphone port on the pc.
    2-Crown PZM-185. It is connected to the pc in the same way as the one mentioned above.
    I am about to work through your other suggestions now 57Gregy and will reply with the results

Thanks again
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: Loud air hiss and dull repeating popping noise throughout recording 2008/09/06 14:52:03 (permalink)
    Are you able to make a small investment, in the $100-200 range?
    Both sounds are most likely directly related to your sound card.
    The mic preamps in built-in sound cards tend to be very noisy on their own, plus they are prone to picking up electrical noise from the computer. Electrical noise almost always sounds like a steady hiss (white noise).
    The dot..dot..dot..is related to the sound card as well. Sounds kind of like you are singing through a helicopter, right?
    Updated drivers may help some, and you could try ASIO4All(a free download).
    If you are using MC4's default setting of WDM, you can try MME. This may help with the click, but it is a compromise, and you may experience additional latency.
    Part of the hiss may indeed be air. Mics tend to be sensitive to the sound of the fans in your computer, so keep the mic away from the computer as much as possible.
    If you can afford it, a better sound card will go a long way in cleaning up your sound.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: Loud air hiss and dull repeating popping noise throughout recording 2008/09/06 23:58:15 (permalink)
    Two other issues i see, 1. 512 ram is minimal on XP, so you may be experiencing slow recording cauing noise. 2. The sound max is a poor card for recording you really need a external card, also as RB said, the card may be causing noise.

Me personally I would stay with WDM drivers cause MME are going to be too slow with that amount of ram.

TRy this turn off all background services, like virus, firewall, popup stoppers, and try it see if that gives the system enough free resources to run a bit smoother. Secondly disconnect from the internet and see if noise is coming thru there. Also it could be a bad cord or adapter on the mikes, the three prong is for low impedence, the 1/4 inch is high impedence, if the cord does not have a impedence matching transformer it could cause noise.
    post edited by Robomusic - 2008/09/07 00:00:21

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    isaiah552
    RE: Loud air hiss and dull repeating popping noise throughout recording 2008/09/14 10:25:08 (permalink)
    Well, thank you guys. PROBLEM SOLVED. I went out and bought a Line6 Toneport UX1 which is a USB interface w/ a built in 1/4" port for my instrument and an xlr port for my mic. It was true that the 1/8" preamp on my pc was not able to handle the input, but running it through the usb interface has eliminated ALL noise as fas as I'm concerned. The recordings sound great and the unit even comes with lots of Line 6 effects for guitar, bass, or vocals through their program Gearbox. And it came w/ recording software that is made to work w/ it all. 89 bucks and I've got better sound quality than I would have ever imagined I'd have. I'm stoked. Thanks again>
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: Loud air hiss and dull repeating popping noise throughout recording 2008/09/14 16:17:29 (permalink)
    Great! We're looking forward to hearing your songs.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1