Louise (Straight Ahead Rock)

Author
Freddy J
Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2348
2010/07/21 22:48:40 (permalink)

Louise (Straight Ahead Rock)

Well ya’ll, I’m still lost.  With “Obsessive Thoughts” I strayed from the Blues and took a very different musical path.  I have kept on mentally traveling on this different path and came to a fork in the road.  One side of the fork said “The Same Old Path” and the other said “Rocking’ Road”.  Well of course I chose -----------Rockin’ Road.  I spent some time on this fictional path and happened to meet up with a chap that seemed somehow familiar to me.  He said that his name was Freddy Jim (sorry about the dearth of creativity on the names folks) and that he had a day job but was really a wannabe musician.  His roots, he stated, were in Rock/Rock ‘n Roll.  We seemed to get along and talked a lot about music and a number of other things.  One of these other things was the thought of how guys get themselves in trouble with the girls that they care for, and how, sometimes, they don’t have a clue of what they did to get themselves in so much trouble (is this a run on sentence or what?).  He too was looking for something --- something a bit different from his norm.  So, we decided to travel together and explore the different imaginary paths leading from Rocking’ Road. 

Oh ya, in this cerebral journey, we collaborated on the thought mentioned above and came up with a musical statement on this thought.  So here is the result of this thought.  As always comments, insight, suggestions, etc. are appreciated and I hope that this one will bring a little smile to you.

Louise
[link=http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=963481]

Freddy J
post edited by Freddy J - 2010/07/26 19:08:01

21 Replies Related Threads

guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:Louise (Straight Ahead Rock) 2010/07/22 00:44:32 (permalink)
    Nice job.  I think the guitars are well recorded and mixed.  Nice overall balance.  The guitars all have a great tone.
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:Louise (Straight Ahead Rock) 2010/07/22 06:06:13 (permalink)
    Geeze, Loiuse!  This is great! I love it! The BG vox on the chorus kind of covers over the lead vox though. I think they need to be panned further away from center maybe?

String Jammer
    dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    Re:Louise (Straight Ahead Rock) 2010/07/22 17:29:45 (permalink)
    Nothing wrong with veering down the rock road - the blues will always take you back, Freddy! To me, this one was really different for you which is great to stretch yourself. Loved the raw, garage rock vibe - got me pumped up!! Really fun to listen to. Nice job!!
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Louise (Straight Ahead Rock) 2010/07/22 21:20:13 (permalink)
    I think we have all been there.... clueless at times...... some of us stay there.... not mentioning any names....

I like the tune.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/07/22 21:21:25

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    savageopera
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 625
    Re:Louise (Straight Ahead Rock) 2010/07/22 22:13:31 (permalink)
    Mr. Freddy, This tune took me me through a timewarp to a time and a band I had completely forgotten. It was mid- late sixties and I wore out an album by a group called The Blues Magoos. I can't even remember any specific songs yet but my mind flashed on it when I heard you sing "Louise".  Very cool.  Great sixties vibe for me. Garagey and  tongue in cheek playing.  I like it. Maybe a little less bgv and more lead vox. Maybe a bit dryer on the bgv, just my thoughts..............  I'm diggin' ya..........Ron

Sonar Artist, HP Laptop, AMD A8700 , 1T+250g, M-Audio Fast Track Ultra ,Roland 88 Hammer action, Roland AX-1, M-audio 88es, Arturia minilabII......When I was young I wanted to become a mad scientist. I achieved everything except the "scientist" part....http://www.soundclick.com/savageopera
    Faust1587
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 64
    Re:Louise (Straight Ahead Rock) 2010/07/23 01:11:28 (permalink)
    I am still in the middle of this song and I really like the guitar tone on this.  I would steal it if I could. Agree about maybe a tad less bgv and more upfront vocals, but I like the reverb you're using on the lead vocals. 

I can definately see somebody playing this at a bar with some attitude.
    Bob Oister
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2766
    Re:Louise (Straight Ahead Rock) 2010/07/23 03:37:29 (permalink)
    Hey, Freddy,

Really nice job on this vintage "garage rocker"!

Great song with cool guitar work and nice rockin' vocals, I know what savageopera means about the "Blues Magoos" from the 70's, maybe mixed with a little bit of the "Amboy Dukes".  I do agree with the comments about possibly taking the BGVs down a Db or so, to let the lead vox breathe through a bit more, but that's a very easy, minor fix.

Nice work, Freddy, have a good one!
    Bob
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:Louise (Straight Ahead Rock) 2010/07/23 09:32:12 (permalink)
    Freddy,   This is awesome.   great song writing and rich playing.   Starts right in with hook and drives like a bulldozer.  I love that guitar solo too.   This is another classy gem.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re:Louise (Straight Ahead Rock) 2010/07/23 09:59:04 (permalink)
    I got a little Bowie "Heroes" vibe here with a rawness that is so sweet.
    Great tune!

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

drumstixkev
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2709
    Re:Louise (Straight Ahead Rock) 2010/07/23 11:38:06 (permalink)
    Hey Freddy
    The different path worked for me. Love, the heavy guitar riffs. What really made the song flow for me was the way the rhythm guitar played off of those chunky riffs.  Excellent bass line! I'm always a sucker for hearing a strong backbone bass line. Mix wise on my end is full and clean. I agree with the others maybe drop the vocal harmonies back a wee bit.  I really enjoyed this piece.  Even though you went a different direction you still owned it.  KUDOS!

Kev

VoxBoxStudio music made with SONAR & SONiCA AUDIO LAB computers.   Website http://drumstixkev.wix.com/voxboxstudio 

Janet
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Louise (Straight Ahead Rock) 2010/07/23 16:23:51 (permalink)
    What?  You mean sometimes guys don't understand us gals?  I never noticed that!!  Hmmm...

Anyway, really really cool song--great song-writing and playing.  Great fun to listen to. :-)
    darylcrowley
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2700
    Re:Louise (Straight Ahead Rock) 2010/07/23 17:00:00 (permalink)
    Gutsy, I like that.

Maybe a little less reverb on the vocals.  The instruments might need to come up a little but I'm listenting on my CWS (crappy work speakers)

Daryl Crowley
    Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
    Windows 7 64bit Professional
    Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
    http://www.darylcrowley.com/
    Freddy J
    Re:Louise (Straight Ahead Rock) 2010/07/24 18:23:10 (permalink)
    Thanks for listening Geno.  I appreciate the feedback.

Hey Scotty!  I went back to the workshop and looked up what I did with the vocals and you are right.  I have the BGV's panned R at about 15-20 and had intended to pan the lead vox at about the same only over to the L.  I guess I plain-old forgot because it was panned at center.  Thanks for listening and for pointing that out!!

Hi Dave!  Ya, the Blues is (or is it are?) very forgiving.  It is kinda fun exploring and trying out different kinds of music.  Thanks for taking the time to listen and for the kind words.

I have been in the dog house a few times and haven't had the first clue why.  However, it usually ended up being from something stupid but innocent that I did.  Thanks for listening and commenting Herb.

Hi Ron!  The Blues Magoos --- one of the early psychedelic groups ("We Ain't Got Nothing Yet") --- I remember them.  You're right about toning down the bgv's (or at least better separating the vox and BGV).  Thank a lot for listening and for your insight.

Hello Steve!  Welcome to the forum and thanks for listening and especially for the feedback.  I definitely need to adjust the bgv's --- there seems to a consensus among the responses to this song.  I also have to agree after listening to it again. 

Hey, back at you Bob.  The Amboy Dukes ("Journey to the Center of the Mind") --- cool!  Yup, the bgv's need to be fixed and you're right, it should be an easy fix.  Thanks for the listen and for the feedback!!

Hi Rick.  I am very pleased that you liked it.  Thanks for the encouragement buddy!!!

Thank you Kev.  I really appreciate the feedback and your taking the time to respond.  Yup, the bgv's need to and will be fixed.  Thanks again.

Hi Janet.  You know ----- we guys are just like crazy puppy dogs.  We want to please but sometime we just get too wrapped up with what we are doing.  That gets us in trouble sometimes and we just don't know why.  I am glad you enjoyed the song and thanks for responding.

Hey Daryl.  Thanks for listening and responding.  I do appreciate the feedback.

Freddy J

geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    Re:Louise (Straight Ahead Rock) 2010/07/24 19:26:58 (permalink)
    Hey Freddy,

Outstanding tune! Love the guitar tones and the lead vocal.

The guitar solo does have a sort a 'Journey to the Center of the Mind' (played by a young Ted Nugent, I believe) vibe to it...cool!

Great job!

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    Freddy J
    Re:Louise (Straight Ahead Rock) 2010/07/26 18:30:12 (permalink)
    Hi Gary!!  I wasn't going for the Ted Nugent/Amboy Dukes thing when I did this one ---  but I sure 'nuff will take sounding like that any time.   Thanks a lot for the kind words and taking the time to listen.   I'm very glad that you liked it.

Freddy J
    evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:Louise (Straight Ahead Rock) 2010/07/26 19:13:48 (permalink)
    Ha, 'da Fredster".  I played with Nugent just before he recorded "Journey" and he wasn't that good yet.  Well done, my man!!

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    CLEAN
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:Louise (Straight Ahead Rock) 2010/07/26 20:53:32 (permalink)
    Freddy, you are a true blues master - excellent my friend, just excellent.

THE PUGTONES
    Mark
    Freddy J
    Re:Louise (Straight Ahead Rock) 2010/07/28 22:40:49 (permalink)
    Hey Warren.   You played with Nugent -- how cool!   Was that when he was with the Amboy Dukes?  I seem to remember that they were originally a Detroit band but did a bunch of playing in Chicago (aaaahhh, it all makes sense now).  Thanks a lot for giving this number a listen and many thanks for the good words.

Hi Mark.  Thanks for the kind words and encouragement buddy.  I hope that we will see more of you on the forum and more of those good Pugtones' tunes as well!!!

Freddy J

Slow Marching Band
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1603
    Re:Louise (Straight Ahead Rock) 2010/07/31 18:07:44 (permalink)
    You could've named the the song 'That Look' too... I know it all too well Freddy.

Excellent vibe on this! Guitar work is very nice and you nailed that classic vocal 60's sound too!

My ears wanted to hear the guitar solo turned up (of course I would).

I enjoyed this song very much!! Where's my 45's man.....

Larry
    Freddy J
    Re:Louise (Straight Ahead Rock) 2010/08/03 22:19:48 (permalink)
    Hi Larry.  Oh, Oh you have gotten that look also --- it can intimidate, can’t it?  Thanks for taking the time to listen and thanks a million for the feedback.  I’m very glad that you liked it.

Freddy J
    karalie7@aol.com
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 712
    Re:Louise (Straight Ahead Rock) 2010/08/04 02:22:20 (permalink)
    Hi there, The drum & guitar are very good. I tend to prefer a more natural effect on the vocals though. Many blessings
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1