Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
No How
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5180
2008/10/18 14:43:34 (permalink)

Lover's Touch

Hi fellow song-geeks.

I have a song that I i've mixed and then remixed so often that i got lost in it. It's graciously sung by my better half as the only way i can continue to reside at my DAW is make her an invested interest....ahhhh...i won't go there...........
Please, if you have time, leave comments on the mix and it's needs, be they great or small.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=826274&songID=6984881

thank you.
post edited by No How - 2008/10/18 16:16:07

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull

31 Replies Related Threads

Mamabear
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8954
    RE: Lover's Touch 2008/10/18 14:58:00 (permalink)
    Yeah! I get this one!

Great job, both of you! Oh, love the um, ending!

Great job on the keys and guitar too. Check out from :23-:30 or so. I think the piano might be just a tad behind the beat.

Very clever once again. You're really getting these out fast these days. Or nights I guess!
    Taylor_514C
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1215
    RE: Lover's Touch 2008/10/18 18:42:20 (permalink)
    Very good Rick. Laid back and pleasant to the ears - this song has superb hooks on the verses and the chorus. I liked Mrs. No How's lead vox - good job on that

Excellent lyrics - IMO, you are the Dylan of this forum (w/ a better voice).

I liked the overall sound of the mix, the piano, the acoustic, the vox. My only crit would be some of the piano lines (to my ears) were a bit too 'jazzy', kind of didn't fit the mood and style of the song.

Great job,
    Doug

Taylor_514CMy Music:

rolifer@verizon.net
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1676
    RE: Lover's Touch 2008/10/18 19:05:33 (permalink)
    Rick

Nice

On the mix (Live vox is not my forte, so take this with a grain of NaCl) but it sounds like the vox are dry compared to the rest of the mix.

Perhaps a little more space (or reverb) just in the main vocals. The back ups sound about right.

Hope that helps.

Ron

No How
    RE: Lover's Touch 2008/10/18 21:43:00 (permalink)
    Hi Janet,
    You are right on. I fixed the timing on the piano. Thanks for the kind words and critical/constructive ears.

Doug,
    You're are far too generous with your comparison there my friend...lol...but i did once have paisley shirts. Piano solo is a bit jazzy...kind of a private tribute to me mum. She loved that kinda stuff. Thanks for the listen and comments.

Ron,
    I'm really happy you like it. i just put up a different vocal take on the mrs. as i like this one better. She insisted she wanted it less soft but i am king of the DAW (if nothing else...) Thanks.

s o n g s

nos rocks
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 110
    RE: Lover's Touch 2008/10/19 01:34:40 (permalink)
    hi king of the daw
    hey the Mrs. has a nice voice.
    and the music really complemented her voice nicely,
    the only thing i heard is that maybe the vox was a little to loud but i am on dial up so its hard to tell.
    all and all this was a very nice listen.
    again the writing was what i have come to expect form you very good and from what i can hear with lo-fi the production was good to.
    enjoyed this one and am looking forward to tomorrows posting from you lol. quote mama bear: You're really getting these out fast these days. Or nights I guess!
    good job thanks tim

pc= custom built.
    intel core2 duo
    6600@2.40 ghz
    4 gigs super talent ram, windows xp pro
    gigabyte 965p-s3 mobo
    sonar7 pe waves mercury, urs, ssl,wave arts, antares,ni,and to many more to list. jackson gui
    m-audio fast track pro
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: Lover's Touch 2008/10/19 10:14:19 (permalink)
    Hey! I liked this a lot!! Now yer gonna have to pay the missus!! This has that sort of blues/ragtime feel to it. Love the piano bits. Yep, the guitar squeaks lend to the authenticity to this song too. Maybe bring the vox down a little bit? As always, the meaning embedded in your lyrics is a definite treat! The wife done good on this. Maybe you should be cookin' supper tonite?

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    RE: Lover's Touch 2008/10/19 10:18:26 (permalink)
    Very nicely done! How did you get your mrs to sit through all of those takes?

Regards,
    Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Lover's Touch 2008/10/19 14:59:17 (permalink)
    Good Job on this...I'm listening on my lappy's speakers so I can't comment on the mix.... at this time...

Tu esposa canta bien.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    spacey
    • Total Posts : 8769
    RE: Lover's Touch 2008/10/19 15:23:27 (permalink)
    Rick I like it very much. It has a great feel and everything just works together in such a cool way it's very easy to just listen and enjoy.

Wonderful voice and with respect, sexy to me. Could be a little louder for me.

Cheers,
    Michael
    No How
    RE: Lover's Touch 2008/10/19 18:18:31 (permalink)
    Tim,
    Thanks for coming by and listening. I turned down those vox 4db then got some 'not loud enough' responses so i turned them back up 2db to split the difference. I'll tell the missus you liked.

Larry,
    Not so loud!!!!!.....shhhhhhh......She'll milk that one for years. She sang on a couple toons years ago and i'm still changing diapers. I'm glad you like the Squeek guitar plug in effect i applied to make it sound more authentic. Thanks for your ears and notes sir.

Dan,
    It's a long process. First, weeks in advance you have to make cassette tapes with you saying in an ethereal, angelic way these words:"It is my hearts only joy to sing my husbands silly songs over and over again till he feels happy with it. It is my hearts only joy to sing my husbands silly songs over and over again till he feels happy with it. It is my hearts only joy....." Then you press play and while she's asleep you quietly slip the cassette player under her pillow. Wake up before her and hide it till bedtime. Do this for 6 weeks. then one day just mention you'd like her to sing. She'll fall at your feet.
    Actually it is only realm where i get to tell her "it's not ready yet...gotta try again...till it's right..." She tells me that in the other 99 realms of our life.

Herb,
    Thanks for the listen. Mi esposa le agradece

Michael,
    Glad you made it by for a listen. My wife will love the comments as she's never satisfied with her singing. I did turn the vox up a bit. Thanks for the comments!

s o n g s

Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    RE: Lover's Touch 2008/10/19 18:54:34 (permalink)
    Wow Rick, you delicately capture every sweet nuance and artifact of vox and instrument. An unprecocious 'lovers touch' is delicious to listen to.

"Lets Go", the sweet and final hook, takes me there.

Child-rocker vox and falsetto sweetly blows me away.

The playroom/bedroom-vox and backing vox work perfectly on my Adam monitors; please don't raise their volumes unless you're in noisy traffic.

Sweet panned vox and backing vox (LT panned) (1:20).

Piano is also wonderfully smooth and authentic.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: Lover's Touch 2008/10/19 19:51:45 (permalink)
    Your wife has a pretty good voice. Its really cool to be able to work with a loved one. I have yet to figure out how, but am trying.

The mix does not make me stand up and notice, either good or bad. I was more captured by the vox which rendered the music secondary (sorry dude ). I might work on a bit more bottom end (not the wife - the music ).

Cheers
    Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: Lover's Touch 2008/10/19 23:44:49 (permalink)
    Rick

My kinda love song and Mrs How convinced me that she was singing it to me. Sorry man, maybe she was...

Beautiful song, beautifully written and beautifully performed.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    robby
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5819
    RE: Lover's Touch 2008/10/19 23:55:15 (permalink)
    It's funny, she sounds like a female YOU! lol! and that's not a bad thing. This wasn't what I expected, but I liked it.

==================
    It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
    No How
    RE: Lover's Touch 2008/10/20 00:37:35 (permalink)
    Hello Philip,
    I'm not raising anymore volumes...loud enough. I'm happy you enjoyed this. It was fun to make. Thank you!

Shad,
    Yes, it is cool to work with a loved one. She knows how to focus and work hard. Thanks for the listen.

Jon,
    Thanks for the ears. I appreciate you stopping in for a listen and we're really happy you liked it.

robby,
    Not sure what you expected but glad you liked it. I won't tell her she sounds like a female 'me' though...

s o n g s

robby
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5819
    RE: Lover's Touch 2008/10/20 00:55:40 (permalink)
    robby,
    Not sure what you expected but glad you liked it. I won't tell her she sounds like a female 'me' though...

LOL! I mean, if I heard this, and didn't know it was your wife? I would have said, "this really sounds like nohow?" It's remarkable really, you've rubbed off on her!

==================
    It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    RE: Lover's Touch 2008/10/20 19:59:29 (permalink)
    the guitars hard panned seem out of time with each other. Nice walking piano solo, though the chords underneath it distract from it.
    drumstixkev
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2709
    RE: Lover's Touch 2008/10/20 20:29:21 (permalink)
    A really nice tune. A great job on the mix, and I love the sounds your getting from the acoustic. Tell MAMA nice job on the lead vocal I didn't hear a lot of verb on the voice and it sounded sweet. Great song writing as usual. I look forward to hearing more from the NO HOWS

VoxBoxStudio music made with SONAR & SONiCA AUDIO LAB computers.   Website http://drumstixkev.wix.com/voxboxstudio 

tomjeff76
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 114
    RE: Lover's Touch 2008/10/21 00:26:48 (permalink)
    Hi No How, another good one! Your wife did a great job on the vocals. Robby made a comment that your wife sounds like you. While I was listening to the song, I thought that for a second but maybe what it means is that if anybody sang that song it would sound like you because of the style of the song. In other words, you have your own style. That's a good thing.

TomJeff

My Songs

Yamaha MM6
    Line 6 Tone Port UX2
    Korg PadKontrol
    Music Creator 4
    EZDrummer
    SoulPuppy
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 206
    RE: Lover's Touch 2008/10/21 01:43:56 (permalink)
    Hey, I think you should have your wife sing all of your songs. (Just kidding) You both have great voices & you sound great together. Hey, maybe you two could sing my songs....

This is another great song. I'm not sure how you're doing this. Are you writing these as fast as you record them? Color me impressed.

I need sleep....
    No How
    RE: Lover's Touch 2008/10/21 09:00:56 (permalink)
    LMAO...robby, she's been subjected to my audio assaults now for years. It probably has left some scars...although It's much easier on the ears (and eyes) having her sing it.

jamesyoyo, hard panned and out of step with each other...yes, I'll have to try and align guitars better with split/nudge tool. I've become a master at it lately. Thanks for the listen.

Kev, I'll tell her you thought it sounded good. She will be most happy. I had verb on it but it was so metallic sounding...yucko....There are enough tracks of her voice to fill it out without the verb so it worked. guitar is just one mic and i use the Voxengo Overtone EQ on it. Thanks for listening.

Tomjeff, Yes, she did a nice job. I'm going to ask her to sing all of em'. Thanks for the generous compliment and the careful listening.

SoulPuppy, Good idea. I will have her sing them all....or at least till i drive her batty.
    Thank you for the listen.
    post edited by No How - 2008/10/21 15:30:52

s o n g s

Ian Ferrin
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 527
    RE: Lover's Touch 2008/11/03 11:43:09 (permalink)
    I LOVE this song. It's great - melodic, hooks galore and the chorus works. This song has real potential IMO.

Your rhythm needs a bit of work - I strongly suggest using drums (loops, drum machine, groovebox - something). Forcing yourself to play with drums will really help. You're a talented composer... now you need to get your recording chops on par with your composition skills.

Peace,

Sorry,

Ian

"Everyone is a 'believer' - even if you don't believe, that's a belief" - Me

Songs - (at soundclick)
    Sonar Platinum, Native Instruments Komplete 10u, Korg N1R X2 (for some reason I still love this old synth).
    DarinBad
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 461
    RE: Lover's Touch 2008/11/03 12:23:26 (permalink)
    I'm not sure how I managed to miss this one Rick. It's a very, very catchy little tune! Yes, I'll say it... The timing could be better. LOL. But the song and composition is so good that I truely ignored most all of that. Mrs. No How has a great voice! She has a special 'something' that draws you in. Just my opinion, but I think this song could really go somewhere, if you could just get it in front of the right set of ears. Maybe you should get a copy of The Songwriter's Market and give it a shot? This is a seriously good tune. I love it!!! As for the mix, it sounds pretty good to me. Everything seems in the right place and in a good balance.

Great tune Rick. You should be plenty proud of this one.

AsRock Z77 Extreme4
    CPU INTEL CORE I7 3770K
    32 GB RAM
    RME Fireface 800
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    No How
    RE: Lover's Touch 2008/11/03 13:48:54 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Ian Ferrin

I LOVE this song. It's great - melodic, hooks galore and the chorus works. This song has real potential IMO.

Your rhythm needs a bit of work - I strongly suggest using drums (loops, drum machine, groovebox - something). Forcing yourself to play with drums will really help. You're a talented composer... now you need to get your recording chops on par with your composition skills.

Peace,

Sorry,

Ian

Ian, I'm humbled you dragged me out of the cemetary of page two for a comment. It more than makes my day to hear your appreciation for the mine field of hooks i buried. I am getting some drums that i can use to make grooves and record basic tracks with to help with my vitamin "D" deficiency. You're right about bringing my recording chops up to date. I have been working much harder at it these last few weeks and hope to be able to have some fruit.
    I really appreciate your time and comments.

Rick

s o n g s

No How
    RE: Lover's Touch 2008/11/03 13:54:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DarinBad

I'm not sure how I managed to miss this one Rick. It's a very, very catchy little tune! Yes, I'll say it... The timing could be better. LOL. But the song and composition is so good that I truely ignored most all of that. Mrs. No How has a great voice! She has a special 'something' that draws you in. Just my opinion, but I think this song could really go somewhere, if you could just get it in front of the right set of ears. Maybe you should get a copy of The Songwriter's Market and give it a shot? This is a seriously good tune. I love it!!! As for the mix, it sounds pretty good to me. Everything seems in the right place and in a good balance.

Great tune Rick. You should be plenty proud of this one.

Hey Darin!....Glad you made it....i was almost rigormortis. I'll tell my wife you liked her singing and you will be hearing more of it if i can stay out of dog house long enough. She does have a certain something...in fact her voice was a major part of my falling for her (of course coupled with her generous love for the pathetic.)
    I could certainly afford to have this "in front of some $ears$" right now!

Thank you!

Rick

s o n g s

SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: Lover's Touch 2008/11/03 22:05:38 (permalink)

Hey Rick, this is great!

I'm really liking the harmonies in there, and you're other half can sure carry a tune!

Nice work all round, performance/mix/production - Strummy says '5 stars' all the way

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

No How
    RE: Lover's Touch 2008/11/04 09:26:13 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SteveStrummerUK

Hey Rick, this is great!

I'm really liking the harmonies in there, and you're other half can sure carry a tune!

Nice work all round, performance/mix/production - Strummy says '5 stars' all the way

Steve, I'm grinning ear to ear. Music to me dear demented heart. Thank you for great reception!

s o n g s

Spaceduck
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2499
    RE: Lover's Touch 2008/11/06 12:40:46 (permalink)
    When I read you weren't singing on this, I was all ().

But then I heard Mrs. How's voice and I'm all ().

Love the "wall o' harmonies", especially the last "let's go" @ 3:08. At the tail end she makes a sound like a cat. Too cool!

Awesome jazz chords & color tones in the piano solo. I had to do a double take at first because it was so unexpected, but I love it!

My only suggestion would be to crank the intro piano. Sorta to reinforce or foreshadow the jazziness...

Another great tune dude
    post edited by Spaceduck - 2008/11/06 12:45:19

Spaceduck music [HERE]
    Spaceduck videos [HERE]
    No How
    RE: Lover's Touch 2008/11/06 13:58:24 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Spaceduck

When I read you weren't singing on this, I was all ().

But then I heard Mrs. How's voice and I'm all ().

Love the "wall o' harmonies", especially the last "let's go" @ 3:08. At the tail end she makes a sound like a cat. Too cool!

Awesome jazz chords & color tones in the piano solo. I had to do a double take at first because it was so unexpected, but I love it!

My only suggestion would be to crank the intro piano. Sorta to reinforce or foreshadow the jazziness...

Another great tune dude

I am really happy you got to hear it. Glad you liked the vox, i've got another weird love song she said she would sing for me...(fingers crossed)....It's very interesting..She sings exactly what i tell her so if i'm flat or off a note she'll sing it that way and it will be like cementing it....LOL..it's in there and it's in there for good!!! We actually have fun together so it's well worth it.
    I will boost that intro along with some minor volume tweeking.

THank you !!!!!

s o n g s

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1