M & Petronome's "Funk Sketch"

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Sonic
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1517
RE: M & Petronome's "Funk Sketch" 2005/09/27 11:40:08 (permalink)
Very nice!
I too am bummed the BFD demo has only that one snare, but hey... it was free!
Damn, I wish I had some decent chops. Oh well... GREAT JOB GUYS!!!

The best is always yet to come. Now...shut up and make some noise!
A small sample of my music... http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/turtlebend2.htm
M
  • Total Posts : 1516
RE: M & Petronome's "Funk Sketch" 2005/09/28 14:40:29 (permalink)
MArwood - I like the snare! You can't make me change it! Actually, I'll have to go back and give it a fresh listen, since so many have commented on it. It seems like I always get negative comments on my snare sounds!

jimrocks22 - I'm pretty sure that Becker and Fagan aren't even twitching! Yeah, Petri was very magnanimous about me playing all over the ending, too! Great guy. Thanks for the positive reinforcement, James. Oh yeah, I like the snare. You can't make me change it!

Petronome - Ah, this has been pleasant, so far! Nice job on this! And, I love your avatar, btw! (Don't tell anyone, but let's do the snare-train thing through the whole track on our next one! And, let's use the same snare!)

Chaz - More cowbell, my brother! Yeah, I was just thinking about earaches and temporary distractions when I mentioned that. I certainly hope you didn't incur any permanent damage! And, yes, Petri and I discussed the snare-train bit and the ritard in several email exchanges, so I'm sure we both can see your points there.

My Cats Pet - "Sorry that this post is just one long kiss a*s" JB! Never apologize for that! I like to consider the critical comments; but, hey, a positive reinforcement or two along the way is a really nice thing! Glad you liked it. Yes, Petri and I are telepathic, but I suspect that he's thinking in Finnish!

Sonic - Thanks for checking it out, Mike! Hey, I like that snare!

M
Petronome
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 206
RE: M & Petronome's "Funk Sketch" 2005/09/28 15:40:28 (permalink)
My Cats Pet - Yea, critical comments are always good, but kiss-a*ses are great! :) So, many thanks for your kind words and encouragement!

Sonic - You're right that the BFD demo would've been awesome if it has just some more drums to choose from. But that's right, it was free! And I think it's by far the best free soft drumkit available.

M - Yea, I just had an idea about this song: there's a snare-train on the background, and then snare-trains tuned to different notes play the melody. How that sounds? But don't tell anyone, or they may steal this idea! :)

Hey btw, could someone kindly explain what the word "chop(s)" exactly means? I don't seem to find it in any dictionary...

Petri
post edited by Petronome - 2005/09/28 15:48:47
M
RE: M & Petronome's "Funk Sketch" 2005/09/28 19:08:55 (permalink)
Hey btw, could someone kindly explain what the word "chop(s)" exactly means?

Hey, I know this one!

There are a number of slang terms that relate to practicing and developing skills that I believe come from sending the kid out of the house to practice -- out back, to the woodshed, in the olden days. So, practicing something became "woodshedding" or just "shedding." And, your instrument is your "axe." And, if you're progressing, you're developing "chops."

Seems like there are more that I'm forgetting. . .
keithsnyder
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 28
RE: M & Petronome's "Funk Sketch" 2005/09/28 21:13:22 (permalink)
I just want to say I liked it a lot, even though it's not the type of music I normally listen to. Very nice.
den121961
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 149
RE: M & Petronome's "Funk Sketch" 2005/09/28 22:18:58 (permalink)
Hey, this was a really cool tune, loved the piano playing especially. Ain't it fun, and convenient doing these internet collabs? YOu can do the solo's in the privacy of your own studio, when you feel like it, etc. and nobody knows how many takes it took (although I find if I try over three, it shows in energy level). I might get stoned for this, but I like the snare, actually. I've always preferred that type of sound on a snare, seems to clutter the mix less. Both the guitar solo's and the piano ones had a good sense of direction. And the trading fours parts were cool, sounds like you did them the right way (one at a time?).

Den
jimrocks22
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 188
RE: M & Petronome's "Funk Sketch" 2005/09/29 09:40:10 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: M

Hey btw, could someone kindly explain what the word "chop(s)" exactly means?

Hey, I know this one!

There are a number of slang terms that relate to practicing and developing skills that I believe come from sending the kid out of the house to practice -- out back, to the woodshed, in the olden days. So, practicing something became "woodshedding" or just "shedding." And, your instrument is your "axe." And, if you're progressing, you're developing "chops."

Seems like there are more that I'm forgetting. . .

Good answer M would that be shredding?

all those moments will be lost...in time... like...tears in rain
M
RE: M & Petronome's "Funk Sketch" 2005/09/29 17:34:39 (permalink)
keithsnyder - Thanks, Keith! Encouragement is welcome, believe me!

den121961 - "Ain't it fun, and convenient doing these internet collabs?" Absolutely. I've met a lot of cool people on this forum, and I'm enjoying the music. Aren't you going to play trumpet on one, Dennis?

Look, everybody! Someone besides me likes the snare!
I might get stoned for this, but I like the snare, actually.

Thanks for 'fessing up, Den'!

Hey, man, we didn't trade 4s in this one, so, I can't really answer your question. There are several spots where I answer Petri on the melody, though. Is that what you meant?

Interestingly enough (to me, anyway), Petri played the drums and both his keyboard tracks, including the piano solo, before he sent me the bundle. So, he didn't have my bass track or my guitar to work off of, while I had the advantage of playing to his keyboard tracks. We had already talked through the whole form, though. You play the first A, I'll play the next. Unison on the B, etc., etc.

jimroXXX22 - "would that be shredding?" I thought about that, but I don't think it's related, do you? I don't think one shreds wood, necessarily. I'm not sure about that one. . . What do you think?
jimrocks22
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 188
RE: M & Petronome's "Funk Sketch" 2005/09/30 08:32:17 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Sonic

Very nice!
I too am bummed the BFD demo has only that one snare, but hey... it was free!
Damn, I wish I had some decent chops. Oh well... GREAT JOB GUYS!!!

Hey Dr. Sonic at least you got the thing. Evidently the BFD demo as evaporated into the cosmos unless someone knows where we can get that issue of Computer Music? Or a download? The BFD site just gives samples not downloadable.

ORIGINAL: M

[
jimroXXX22 - "would that be shredding?" I thought about that, but I don't think it's related, do you? I don't think one shreds wood, necessarily. I'm not sure about that one. . . What do you think?

Shredding wood? Sure guitars are made of wood, I'd say Eddie Van did/does a good job of it. The term probably comes from the wood shedding story, after enough practice with a metronome the guys went from shedding to shredding
post edited by jimrocks22 - 2005/09/30 08:41:57

all those moments will be lost...in time... like...tears in rain
Nubian1234
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 135
RE: M & Petronome's "Funk Sketch" 2005/10/01 16:23:23 (permalink)
M & Petronome's "Funk

You guys,you guys!!!!!I don't know how to tell you how impressed I am with this cut.The

keyboard,the guitar mmmm mmmm good.I am just an amateur wannabee song/vocal

writing kinda fella but I want you both to know you have just blown me away.You

collaborated over many miles from each other and brought this together?Like this?

You give me inspiration to continue my pursuits in creating music.I am most

impressed.Look forward to hearing your future long distance music making.

Michael
mlavin00
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 648
RE: M & Petronome's "Funk Sketch" 2005/10/01 22:58:19 (permalink)
Hey Guys,
Totally diggin' this smooth jazz. Solid chops all around. Each part was well done. I do feel however, that something was missing, perhaps just filler. It seems a bit partitioned ie. Drums, Guitar, Keys and nothing in the middle. Perhaps some keyboard pads or another guitar track could fill it out a bit more. I could totally hear this on 95.5 WNUA here in Chicago. I certainly would not change the station if this came on.
Mitch
M
RE: M & Petronome's "Funk Sketch" 2005/10/02 02:20:51 (permalink)
Nubian1234 - Thanks, Michael! We appreciate the encouragement. Glad you enjoyed it!

mlavin00 - Hi, Mitch! There's an organ pad in there. I added that just for the reasons you brought up - the track just felt like it needed a little pad/glue to hold it all together. Charley's already told me that the organ is too low in the mix, if we're going to use it; but I didn't want to call too much attention to it -- it's just playing whole notes back there! You think something more?
Petronome
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 206
RE: M & Petronome's "Funk Sketch" 2005/10/04 14:41:34 (permalink)
M - Thanks for clarification with the 'chops', now I understand you're not talking literally about some wood blocks here :)

keithsnyder - I think it's always a great compliment if a person likes a piece which is not the type he/she usually listens. So thank you for your comment, glad you liked it!

den121961 - Thank you, I'm glad you liked my pianos :) And yea, it is indeed fun and in some means also convenient doing internet collabs. In some things, though, face-to-face collaborating would be so much easier, but anyway, it's really fun over the internet, too.

jimrocks22 - Maybe you could get the ComputerMusic issue, if you contacted the ComputerMusic staff (or some retailer). I guess they do sell older issues, too.

Nubian1234 - Hi, Michael! You're comments are really appreciated! I'm glad it gave you some inspiration, I know that it's hard to find sometimes :)

mlavin00 - Thanks for the comments, Mitch. Funny though that you find it lacking something, as I, while listened the Mark's mix first time, found it quite full. After a couple of listenings my ears have had time to pick up what there was. Anyway, maybe you're talking about the chord base, I played the Rhodes quite rhythmicly, not so harmonically, but I think the organ pad Mark added supported it nicely.

Petri
bubblefish
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 914
RE: M & Petronome's "Funk Sketch" 2005/10/10 07:12:46 (permalink)
great work again M and petri.

seems a bit more downtempo than the other stuff of yours I,ve heard M, but i personally really like the smoochy (can i say that?) latin feel to it. and the piano sounds great as does the bass.

look forward to it being my turn to work with you in the not too distant future.

(I,m currently caught up in writing some sound scapes for a show downtown so am rushed off my feet, but I,m looking forward to start on some more normal music real soon...real real soon still its not bad pay so i can,t complain.)

cheers.

kieran

If you live the sacred and despise the ordinary,
you are still bobbing in the ocean of delusion

Some sounds with spaces
M
RE: M & Petronome's "Funk Sketch" 2005/10/10 21:31:40 (permalink)
Hey, Kieran!

Yeah, man, do the paying gigs first! I have some concepts, though. Whenever you're ready. I look forward to it!
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1