M & Petronome's "Funk Sketch"

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
M
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1516
2005/09/23 17:35:59 (permalink)

M & Petronome's "Funk Sketch"

This one's an international collaboration between Petri Myllys (Finland) and myself (US). Petri is known to the Cakewalk forum as Petronome. We built this track from the ground up by emailing snippets back and forth -- literally hashing out a groove, changes, melody, and form a piece at a time. It takes a while to write like that, we'll attest!

Anyway, you might find it interesting. All comments are welcome.

Petri is playing Rhodes, acoustic piano, and BFD (via keyboard). I'm playing guitars and bass. A couple of other, lesser sweeteners were added via MIDI.

The faster link is to Petri's site: Funk Sketch

If that's not working, here's mine: Funk Sketch

Cheers!

44 Replies Related Threads

ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: M & Petronome's "Funk Sketch" 2005/09/23 19:34:17 (permalink)
    I really like this. Nice sprawling piece that really takes the listener on a journey. It has a spontaneous / live feel to it; it must to have been hard to achieve that.

M, you have a nice feel on that fretless. Petri, that was a fine piano solo in there.

I can't think of anything I'd recommend changing. Well done.
    DarrylCoy
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 774
    RE: M & Petronome's "Funk Sketch" 2005/09/23 20:59:13 (permalink)
    M,

Nice work. Although it was a little long, it kept my interest. M, you've got some pretty good chops. The piano was very tasty too.

Thanks, Darryl
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    RE: M & Petronome's "Funk Sketch" 2005/09/23 23:00:43 (permalink)
    wow guys .. that was great !! very nice interplay between piano and
    guitar.

ain't the internet grand?

jeff
    Paul Russell
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3892
    RE: M & Petronome's "Funk Sketch" 2005/09/24 03:23:54 (permalink)
    I like it too. I'm not normally into jazz but the music you guys are putting on this forum is top notch, really well produced. The snare sound is niggling me a little bit, sounds a bit too tinny, but otherwise some excellent sonic textures and overall production. Nice chops on both piano and keyboard.

Paul Russell 
    Calamity Studio and on Facebook

Petronome
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 206
    RE: M & Petronome's "Funk Sketch" 2005/09/24 04:13:34 (permalink)
    I'm signing into this thread also.

Thank you everyone for your kind words! Glad you liked it.

I don't know whether I should confess... I used BFD demo for the drums, so I had to take that sound which was in there... You're right Paul, I might have chosen a bit different sound too, if I had a chance.
    twaddle
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1967
    RE: M & Petronome's "Funk Sketch" 2005/09/24 05:30:03 (permalink)
    Very impressive M
    Must say this isn't the kind of stuff I would even contemplate listening to normaly but I quite enjoyed it (which is something for me)
    I'm really impressed that this was done over the net.
    How long did it take from start to finninsh?Regards
    Steve

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=26364

soundcloud  SoundClick  Myspace
    Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, 
    Intel i7 930, 3.40Ghz, 
    12GB Corsair DDR3 
    1TB WD  SATA 6Gb X 2 
    Emu- 0404 PCIe 
    Sonar X1d Expanded
    BFD3 + BFD2 + BFD Eco
    Dual boot windows 7, 32 & 64bit
    M
    RE: M & Petronome's "Funk Sketch" 2005/09/24 10:57:50 (permalink)
    Hi, everyone - thanks for listening!

ed_mcg - I'm always humbled when you compliment my bass playing, Ed! It's great fun to play, though. I never realized how much you bassists were enjoying your gig! (OTOH, my brother played bass in several C&W bands and *hated* the root/fifth country patterns!) Yeah, Petri can play a bit. I really enjoyed collaborating on this one.

DarrylCoy - "some pretty good chops" -- er, okay! Was that a half-measure? Nah, I'm teasing. Thanks very much for the compliment. I'm always painfully aware of my shortcomings - but it's so much fun, and I love doing it! Ditto on the piano comment: very tasty.

jmarkham - "ain't the internet grand?" You know it, brother Jeff! Collaborating with like-minded musicians has just totally revived me. Hey, I liked that new track you sent me! (Sounds like the guitar part(s) will be difficult! -- Uh, you're having guitar, no? )

Paul Russell - I've probably asked before, but what do you consider your main genre, Paul? And what's your main instrument? From your postings, I know you're into a range of stuff, which is kind of how I see myself. Anyway, thanks so much for listening - I appreciate your comments. And, yes, Petri plays nicely! (He also did a nice job communicating with me in my only language. I often forgot that English wasn't his first language!)

Oh yeah, I *liked* that BFD snare! I don't think I EQ'd it any, either. But I did compress it, which brought out some of the metallic overtones that were in the sample. Maybe that's the part you didn't care for? Man, I wish I could've found that BFD demo (in Computer Music) at my local stores when you guys were talking about it -- hint, hint. . .

twaddle - Hi, Steve! It's all music. Some times you hear things you like, no matter what the genre. Thanks for the compliment. Let's see, I just looked, and I first offered my email address to Petri on Aug. 8 (2005) in a Songs posting he had going. We started exchanging email thereafter. So, I'd say it was about 6 weeks in the making. But, the initial exchanges were about gear, which sample rate and bit depth we'd use, who'd play/program what, who'd maintain the project, how we'd exchange files, etc., etc. Logistics. Following that, Petri sent me a 4-bar pattern that kicked the whole thing off. I think the original idea was at 115, so we ultimately slowed it down to 95 and changed even some of the original chords. It was a true collaborative exchange, the entire way. A lot like working with someone in person, except the exchanges were slower, due to email, being in different time-zones, etc. But, it was cool. We're already discussing our next adventure!

Thanks for listening!

M
    Paul Russell
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3892
    RE: M & Petronome's "Funk Sketch" 2005/09/24 11:36:00 (permalink)
    I've probably asked before, but what do you consider your main genre, Paul? And what's your main instrument? From your postings, I know you're into a range of stuff, which is kind of how I see myself.
    tough question, Mark, cos I do like a wide range of material. I grew up in England in the 60's and 70's so I get my pop sensibilities from that, fell in love with Punk when I was 17 in 77, dub reggae in 78. I've always been into the production side of it since having my first spliff and listening to Pink Floyd. Now I'll listen to almost anything from Mahler to Mark Morris . I'm not a big fan of metal, modern jazz or country, but more or less anything else goes, especially if it has polyrhythms. My primary instrument is and always has been the bass guitar, but I don't practice as much as I should, so I'm not a great musician by any means.

Oh yeah, I *liked* that BFD snare! I don't think I EQ'd it any, either. But I did compress it, which brought out some of the metallic overtones that were in the sample. Maybe that's the part you didn't care for
    a multiband compressor might contain the overzealous 2-4K when the velocity goes up. Alternatively, a nice short dark plate might work wonders on it.

Paul Russell 
    Calamity Studio and on Facebook

RE: M & Petronome's "Funk Sketch" 2005/09/24 15:02:53 (permalink)
    (Sounds like the guitar part(s) will be difficult! -- Uh, you're having guitar, no? )

'course i'm havin' guitar .. you're one of my superheros M .. charley was one up until he posted
    that last avatar pic ;-)

jeff
    pluto
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 875
    RE: M & Petronome's "Funk Sketch" 2005/09/24 17:54:48 (permalink)
    Nice piece M. Thought the song was over then this
    last final harmonic chord kicks in and ends it at 7:04,
    about 5 seconds after what i thought was the ending...
    it works though. Everything sounds good except IMO
    i feel the piano kinda got a bit too loud for me around
    4:28 to 4:46, also feel the piano could use a tiny bit
    of verb. Of course this is my own personal taste,
    the piano can work at it's current level and sound too.
    I feel the song in general could be a bit shorter too....
    Overall.... sounds good man.

Pluto
    Dazed
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 665
    RE: M & Petronome's "Funk Sketch" 2005/09/24 20:26:00 (permalink)
    Beautifully done guys! This is wonderful track with some great musicianship going on from both ends.

Mix is very crisp and clean even with the cheapie headsets I have on at the moment.

Outstanding!
    M
    RE: M & Petronome's "Funk Sketch" 2005/09/25 14:50:29 (permalink)
    jmarkham - Yeah, man! I always wanted to be a super-hero! Now, where's my cape!

pluto - I wondered who would make it to the final harmonics. At first, that was a joke. The rest of the tune is in D minor, but it ends with the D major harmonics thing. What's funny is, Petri never objected to it, and it grew on me after awhile, so I left it in during mixing. The piano actually *has* some delay *and* reverb on it, but it's very subtle. Same thing on the guitar. Maybe you're saying there could be a tad more? Yeah, the track hits 7 minutes, but it's only 4x through the form. I guess the real test is whether it gets old and loses your attention during the listening. If it does, it was too long. . .

Dazed - Thanks, Dazed! High praise. We appreciate you listening - cheapie headsets, or no!
    Petronome
    RE: M & Petronome's "Funk Sketch" 2005/09/25 15:05:26 (permalink)
    Thanks for comments, again!

Yea, about the last chord, I kind of liked it there (could be that I'm a great fan of harmonics at the end of songs... :)
    And the note before it does continue until that, so maybe someone will get there :)

Dazed: glad it sounded good on cheapy headsets also, I just bought a really-cheap portable CD-player, which included the crappies headphones I've heard :D Also, the bass boost of the CD-player rocks, it actually doesn't boost the basses, but it cuts the upper frequencies! How smart is that! Anyway, I should probably test this track thru those headphones :)
    PSPicker
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 183
    RE: M & Petronome's "Funk Sketch" 2005/09/25 20:23:40 (permalink)
    Hey M & P
    I don't see names like Barney Kessel, Tal Farlow, or Charlie Byrd floating around here much so I guess it's a sign of the "new age" of the 3.5 min. Cool Jazz radio rational generation gap. I liked Funk Sketch cause' it brought back memories of Thelonious Monk and other long-winded jammers who only got "in the pocket" after the first 42 or so bars. As I try to just listen for content first, my hat's off to great tone, smooth sailin' riffs, an infectious groove, some "take me anywhere you want to go" keyboard work and some high-dollar studio mix ideas.

Great Job! I'm going to dislike it even more after it's mastered.
    post edited by PSPicker - 2005/09/25 20:33:22
    hornplayer
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1024
    RE: M & Petronome's "Funk Sketch" 2005/09/26 04:09:57 (permalink)
    Hey, guys! It still sounds great (Mark gave me a preview). I really have no comments except that it would be simply outstanding with live drums. Love the guitar. Love the pianos. It came across sounding very "live" to me. I can easily picture myself sitting down and hearing you guys perform this. Great job, both of you! Two very talented folks here!
    post edited by hornplayer - 2005/09/26 04:19:55

hornplayer
    RE: M & Petronome's "Funk Sketch" 2005/09/26 04:18:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jmarkham

(Sounds like the guitar part(s) will be difficult! -- Uh, you're having guitar, no? )

'course i'm havin' guitar .. you're one of my superheros M .. charley was one up until he posted
    that last avatar pic ;-)

jeff

Let's see, do I respond in kind, or let it go like water off a duck's back?...uhhhh...ok, water off a duck's back it is...

chaz
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2775
    RE: M & Petronome's "Funk Sketch" 2005/09/26 10:32:58 (permalink)
    Mark,

Since my words these days are few, which is really saying something for me, I just wanted to say that I really like the tune. The mix sounds pretty good as well. The drums bother me a bit though.

Wish I had a chance to mix this kind of stuff more than I do now. Oh well, maybe some day when I become famous.
    RE: M & Petronome's "Funk Sketch" 2005/09/26 14:27:57 (permalink)
    Let's see, do I respond in kind, or let it go like water off a duck's back?...uhhhh...ok, water off a duck's back it is...

i'm teasing ... i'm only serious in front of law enforcement ;-)

jeff
    hornplayer
    RE: M & Petronome's "Funk Sketch" 2005/09/26 15:38:30 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jmarkham

i'm teasing

jeff

I know. And, I've never been in front of law enforcement, so I'm not sure if I'm ever serious!

variaxman
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 596
    RE: M & Petronome's "Funk Sketch" 2005/09/26 16:42:28 (permalink)
    Good stuff...I especially enjoyed the bass/drum groove cookin' thru out this.Love the space between bass lines that creates the groove.Nice work!
    8ftsq
    • Total Posts : 230
    RE: M & Petronome's "Funk Sketch" 2005/09/26 21:05:42 (permalink)
    Very Nice!
    I'm not a jazz officianado by any means however.I just recently started appreciating it.Went to the Jazz festival at Sarratoga NY this year and was blown away.This sounds as good as anything I heard there,imho.

Guitar tone and playing is beautiful,as well as the keys.

Those are BFD Drums?!What the hell am I using audio loops for?

Frank

Athlon xp 2800
    a7n8x-x mobo
    1 gb ram
    m-audio 2496 PCI
    XP home
    Sonar Home studio
    Reason 2.5

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=335809
    SteveD
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2831
    RE: M & Petronome's "Funk Sketch" 2005/09/26 21:45:12 (permalink)
    Just listened again in the studio.

Great piece.

M... Guitar tone and playing are impeccable. Really fine job.

Petronome... what piano is that? May be the best sounding piano patch I've heard. Playing's great too.

Still enjoying this one.

SteveD
    DAWPRO Drum Tracks

... addicted to gear
    M
    RE: M & Petronome's "Funk Sketch" 2005/09/27 00:39:21 (permalink)
    PSPicker - Hi, Moshe! I loved your final, "I'm going to dislike it even more after it's mastered." Yeah, you're listing some old-school jazzers, for sure! The fact that they're even mentioned on a thread of mine is humbling, to say the least. Love all that stuff!

hornplayer - It just needs an alto player who be feelin' it - kind of like the guy in your avatar! A third solo would've taken the track over 10 minutes - but who's counting? We're tapping you on the next one, friend!

chaz - Hey, man, hope you're recovering nicely. Is it messing with your ears? Anyway, is it the notes or the sounds of the drums that's bothering you? I kind of liked Petri's approach to playing them live. There's a lot more variation than in my usual programmed tracks. And, btw, if we ever got famous, we'd have to keep churning out the radio hits. We'd *never* have time for this stuff!

jmarkham - "i'm only serious in front of law enforcement" Word!

variaxman - I'm particularly enjoying being noticed on the bass on this one! Thanks for the compliment. It's a fun beast to play. I just saw Marcus Miller on Sunday, and it made me want to get a Jazz Bass and start thumpin' and poppin'. Bass is cool!

8ftsq - Hey, Frank! Wow, thanks for the compliment! Glad you liked it. Yeah, those are the 16-bit demo BFD set that came with a recent issue of Computer Mag. Petri did a great job with those, no? I like the sounds.

SteveD - Thanks, Steve. I think either the piano or the Rhodes was from Petri's Roland RD-300sx. He told me in an email what he had used for each, but I couldn't readily find it. Maybe he'll check back in and respond. I thought about it because of that other thread discussing best acoustic piano sounds. Petri finds this one "dark," but I thought it was a really good sounding piano, too. I guess it's more convincing if you can play it a bit, too?

Caught your email, btw, and just responded.

Thanks for checking in and listening, everyone!
    MArwood
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1816
    RE: M & Petronome's "Funk Sketch" 2005/09/27 01:56:08 (permalink)
    Man, that's amazing! That snare has a bit too much compression you could also EQ a bit of 125 to add some bottom. And/Or cut some 4K. You can change snares in BFD. You could try the Extra 5 or Extra 7 also the Slingerland. These 3 are much deeper. All of them have a pitch control to tune up or down. Are you guys doing a CD? I sure hope so!
    Max Arwood

jimrocks22
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 188
    RE: M & Petronome's "Funk Sketch" 2005/09/27 10:02:16 (permalink)
    Some tasty jazz that rocks!! Us rockers are getting are daily Jazz from your posts. Except for snare sound (although if I hadn't read Paul's comment I might have not focused on it.) It works great, great production recording especially internationally wow! Another shot out of the ballpark Mr M. Per your usual some great guitaring and Mr P, some very nice piano runs. Becker and Fagen should be nervous. M thought you were going to yield to Petro on the ending but instead you grabbed it like you take no you no you ok I''ll take it.

all those moments will be lost...in time... like...tears in rain
    Petronome
    RE: M & Petronome's "Funk Sketch" 2005/09/27 10:24:31 (permalink)
    PSPicker - Like Mark said, it's really humbling you mentioned those great old-school jazzers here. Thanks for the comments!

hornplayer - Glad it (and the pianos) sound good! And yea, it would be great fun to try this out live, the distance is a bit of a problem, though :)

chaz - I understood that you are recovering from an operation. I hope all the best!
    I'm glad that you liked the track, and the mixing. I didn't really want to mess up the song with my world-known mixing skills :) Well, seriously, I think the mix sounds good too, I just listened the track on a couple of different setups (on another studio-monitor setup and on a mini-hifi-stereos), and it sounded good.
    What was bothering you with the drums? The sound, the groove...?

variaxman - Thank you for the comments! I think the drum-groove was pretty much the only thing which remained from the beginning of creating the song till this mix. And Mark's bass playing fits in there perfectly!

8ftsq - Thanks for the comments, Frank! I think it's always good to listen new kinds of genres, I guess I should listen music more widely, too. Yea, they were the BFD demo drums (the ComputerMusic magazine demo). I like the freedom with them with the mic settings, and I totally like how easy they are to play on a keyboard.

SteveD - Like Mark said, I used the Roland RD-300sx for the grand piano track. I just got that instrument couple of months ago, and I'm loving it! I like the touch, and especially the sound. In my opinion, it's one of the best piano sounds available on a harware synth. But like Mark said, I find it pretty "dark" especially at the lower velocities, but it also has really warm and rich character. For the Rhodes parts, I used my Motif ES with a VintageKeys programmed voice pack. I just love those patches, I think the Motif ES is great for electric piano voices.

MArwood - Thank you very much! Maybe we'll do a cd some day... :)
    Unfortunately I only have the BFD demo, so I was forced to use that only snare sound in there. I hope I have money to buy the whole BFD one day, but I should buy a new computer first (this on is really going into pieces, it starts up like 5 minutes, and no kidding...).

Warm thanks to everyone for you replies!

Petri

Oh yes, I'm a slow writer...

jimrocks22 - Yes, we are trying to keep also you rockers on you minds with some jazz :) Seriously, thank you for the comments, and glad you liked it! I think it's always a great compliment when a rocker likes a jazz piece :)
    post edited by Petronome - 2005/09/27 10:40:45
    chaz
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2775
    RE: M & Petronome's "Funk Sketch" 2005/09/27 10:28:24 (permalink)
    chaz - Hey, man, hope you're recovering nicely. Is it messing with your ears? Anyway, is it the notes or the sounds of the drums that's bothering you? I kind of liked Petri's approach to playing them live. There's a lot more variation than in my usual programmed tracks. And, btw, if we ever got famous, we'd have to keep churning out the radio hits. We'd *never* have time for this stuff!

Recovery is as expected. It is a day-to-day process.

The last mix I finished was "Shining Star", and that was the day before I went in for the extractions, etc. That said, I have not noticed any loss or difference in hearing things.

As for the drums.... Yeah, they work nicely, but the thing that bothers me the most is the snare treatment. The other things sound okay.

That snare thing from the 4:49 to 5:29 mark just does not do anything for me throughout the whole section. I would have liked hearing more of a straight forward pattern. It is different, but is too distracting, IMO.

Btw..... I do like the cowbell, as it is something I use in my own arrangements.

Also... The rit. at the end of the piece is a little weak, IMO. It sounds ackward and too mechanical. And the final chord is too long as well. By the time the harmonics come in, the tune should be faded out already, so it sounds very unnatural.

Okay, I think that is everything.

All-in-all, this is a very nice tune and I will give it a . Fix the other things and I will give it two.
    Petronome
    RE: M & Petronome's "Funk Sketch" 2005/09/27 10:41:08 (permalink)
    chaz - I wasn't really sure with the snare train thing (the 4:49 - 5:25 drum part). It's just that it's about the only "latin" drum groove I know in addition to some basic bossa and samba. However, I'm not really sure if drummers play snare trains on sticks (like here, btw there's two different snare drum sounds on that section), or do they always play them with brushes..? Also, I don't really know what's really behind the snare train groove, usually when I program drums, I just try to imitate something I hear inside my head from what the drummers have played in bands with me. I actually have really little knowledge about real drum playing. Anyway, that groove would've needed a little quantizing, and it's probably true that it should also be more "stable".
    My Cats Pet
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: M & Petronome's "Funk Sketch" 2005/09/27 11:30:24 (permalink)
    M & P - this is really great stuff ... I can't think of any criticism as it is superb on every level: the production and mixing are flawless - this song should be on the dvd they give you when you are setting up a home theatre system to prove to you how good the sound is. The playing is also great - M, your a great bass player (much better than I can do it) and P your piano playing is really impressive. It's also hard to believe that you guys didn't do this face to face (the two of you must be telepathic!)

Sorry that this post is just one long kiss a*s (criticism is usually more helpful that praise), but it is very well deserved.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1