• Cakewalk Hardware
  • How to use V700 win 8 driver in win 10 (also applies to some other Roland drivers) (p.21)
2016/06/01 02:11:49
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Hi Mauricio,

The thread is running long but the upgrade is essentially simple and straight forward if you follow the steps
  1. Full disk image backup (obviously)
  2. Uninstall VS-700R driver (I did actually uninstall all other interface drivers as well e.g. Octa-Capture, Line6, whatever I had used over the years ...)
  3. Prepared the modification to the VS-700R driver as described in post#1 or post#44 (just add the lines indicated in bold)
  4. Keep VS-700 turned off
  5. Upgrade to win 10 (in-place upgrade i.e. keeping files and applications!)
  6. Disable driver signing as described in post#100 (using cmd prompt running as admin) and reboot
  7. Install modified VS-700R driver
  8. Turn VS-700 on when prompted ... wait ... this may take a few minutes where nothing seems to happen ...
  9. Enable driver signing and reboot
  10. All done - everything should be as before

BTW, I also installed the VS-700C driver the same way in case I ever want to use it without the VS-700R (made sense because I will for sure have forgotten about all this in a while)
2016/06/01 10:07:58
ProMusic27
Hey Rob!!! Thanks a lot for kindly reply...

In fact, I am planning to format my computer and to do a fresh install (from zero) of the Windows 10 OS... I do not have Windows 8, I am running Windows 7 and the installation is not  stable as it were 2 years ago... And I dont have a image of the initial installation (unfortunately).
Can I have VS700r working in this case??? 
2016/06/02 02:19:54
TerraSin
You can. Just follow the instructions he posted. It works the same on a fresh install as it does an upgrade.
2016/06/02 11:12:40
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
ProMusic27
Can I have VS700r working in this case??? 

you sure can - but I recommend making notes of what you currently have on the system (because it will be a lot and take to time to install one after the other) and downloading installers like the one for the vs700 I/O upfront so you don't have to go hunting for components when you actually want to work with your system...
2016/06/06 09:01:57
Westside Steve Simmons
Just for the record I own a Studiocat computer and Jim, the owner of the company, took care of my transition for an extremely reasonable fee.
The Roland Hardware is working perfectly.
Purrfectly to be precise.

WSS
2016/06/07 11:59:24
ProMusic27
OK guys, thanks for all the input... I have just one more question...: - Did you have find some real/considerable advantage in using Windows 10 instead of 7? Is there a real gain for our music making rotine or is just "cosmetics"?

Peace.
2016/06/07 12:20:41
Westside Steve Simmons
I have heard experts say that the core operating system is not that much different from 7 or 8. There must be some reason they want us to have this and I doubt that it's altruistic. ;-)
WSS
2016/06/07 17:46:56
ProMusic27
Westside Steve Simmons
There must be some reason they want us to have this and I doubt that it's altruistic. ;-)
WSS

Probably not... They want to control us!!! lol
2016/06/09 04:03:35
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
ProMusic27
OK guys, thanks for all the input... I have just one more question...: - Did you have find some real/considerable advantage in using Windows 10 instead of 7? Is there a real gain for our music making rotine or is just "cosmetics"?

I believe in terms of making music it is "just" cosmetics; remembering some research I did before upgrading listed some improvements to MIDI handling and some to the audio core but that does not apply to us as we use ASIO ...

I was holding off upgrading for a long time, actually said I won't do it at all ... but meanwhile I have migrated 2 systems and in July will upgrade the 2 remaining ones. Main reasons were actually the fear of losing functionality of "legacy" devices (but drivers are no longer an issue as this thread shows) and wasting a lot of time (i.e. upgrading for gaining nothing).

Now - the 2nd system I upgraded I did a complete rebuild (because it was win7 32 bit) - and it took forever to reinstall everything and reconfigure to my environment - so that was not a good experience (but it's done and that older DAW now definitely works better).

With the remaining systems I will go with the in-place upgrade in July as this is smooth and easy - mostly because this will bring all systems to the same OS, with no system tuning tweaks required anymore.

What's not so great is that coming from win 8.1 you only qualify for win10 Home. So there I will have to spend extra $$, basically just to have OS updates configurable and don't get any unwanted surprise updates ...

2016/06/15 20:36:16
jayson
Westside Steve Simmons
Also does the v700 I/O still work but you just chose to use the other Hardware?
WSS

Sorry for the late reply Steve but saw you got it figured out with Jim's help.
Even though I still have the VS700R I/O, I'm not using it. I've setup the Apollo as it was a standalone effects processor which feeds into the MOTU 1248 which is what I select as my driver in Sonar.
Cheers,

jayson 
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account