2016/03/11 12:28:58
John T
I've noticed that when there's a mid-month patch, that becomes the official release, and the original release is removed from the rollback list. So I assume this works the same.
2016/03/11 13:13:32
Jim Lima [Cakewalk]
John T
I've noticed that when there's a mid-month patch, that becomes the official release, and the original release is removed from the rollback list. So I assume this works the same.

That is correct. 

Jim

2016/03/11 14:07:28
Wookiee
This sounds dangerously like a plan.  (A positive plan IMOPFO)
2016/03/11 16:23:04
ricoskyl
I like the idea.  

Better yet, why not introduce next year's updates this year, or--wait!--how about the 2027 release in 2017!  Naturally, this is tongue-in-cheek, but the important thing is that the bakers keep baking and everyone keep listening to the marketplace and the forums.

Thanks for continuing to be responsive, quick and attentive.
2016/03/12 11:38:59
FanCake
FanCake
If I...
Install a final release
then later on your preview/RC version.
then later on install the next final release.

If I decide to roll back at this point, which version would I be rolling back to? Is there a choice?

Jim Lima [Cakewalk]
Just to better illustrate what I think you are saying...

1) March - You install the official public release.  
2) April - You decide to check out the Preview.  There's no issues with it so it eventually becomes the official public release (i.e. same build number, we just remove the "Early Access" label from the installer name as it appears in your store account - it's still the same bits).
3) May - You install the official public release, but don't like something with it so you want to roll back.

At that point rollback will install the last official public release for April.  Let me know if I followed your question correctly.

Jim

"i.e. same build number, we just remove the "Early Access" label from the installer name as it appears in your store account - it's still the same bits"

So when we download the "early access" version - it won't be clearly labelled as "Early Access" in Help-About of the main Sonar application?

A suggestion - please get it clearly labelled as such in Help-About. When a package becomes the final version just tweak the registry from the CCC, which the Sonar application will pick up. Do something similar when an Early Access version is installed.
2016/03/12 12:03:07
tenfoot
FanCake

A suggestion - please get it clearly labelled as such in Help-About. When a package becomes the final version just tweak the registry from the CCC, which the Sonar application will pick up. Do something similar when an Early Access version is installed.

Perhaps a bit of overkill given that it is the final version.  Early accessors are just getting it -  well -  early!  If something catastrophic needed fixing it would get a new build number. 
2016/03/12 12:25:27
Paul P
tenfoot
Early accessors are just getting it -  well -  early!

We'll all be getting it at the same time.  You just won't notice if you aren't looking for it.

I still think too many people aren't going to be able to resist installing the preview once it's announced, in which case we'll have exactlly the same situation as we currently have.  Two possibilities make sense to me (a) announce all upcoming changes beforehand in minute detail as with analytics or (b) release a preview only to a select few who are free to openly discuss their experiences.  Anyone joining this group renounces the right to freak out following the discovery of a new 'feature'.
2016/03/12 15:40:24
FanCake
FanCake

tenfoot
Perhaps a bit of overkill given that it is the final version.  Early accessors are just getting it -  well -  early!  If something catastrophic needed fixing it would get a new build number. 

I think I'm finding myself siding more with Paul P now.

Let me explain why this is not overkill. As Cakewalk says it is effectively a Release Candidate and is likely to be Golden Master (final release). However a few times it will not because of some issue. Now this is up to Cakewalk, but if Cakewalk wants to treat a Release Candidate like a Golden Master, then the customers will also do the same. That means if something goes wrong with the RC then customers aren't going to be too happy. But if it was explained and clearly indicated that this is a just a candidate for a final release, people may be a lot more forgiving.

In my opinion Cakewalk should clearly indicate RC on their software, or whatever terminology they want to use, and suggest that actually it may or may not be the final release, if they want an easier ride.
2016/03/12 20:37:24
jb101
Shirley this is overkill?
2016/03/12 21:39:38
FanCake
jb101
Shirley this is overkill?

OK let's hear the other side of the argument then. Go for it...
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account