2016/09/01 08:47:02
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
If you encounter a crash when using SONAR you will normally see a fault reporter dialog telling you that a problem occurred.
Normally you should fill in some data, submit a problem report to Cakewalk. This automatically includes the crash dump generated when the crash occurred for our analysis. You should also post the case number for the report to this forum if you have questions. 
If you were unable to send a problem report to Cakewalk for some reason (e.g you were offline) you can also manually send the minidump file later. 

Here is a KB article explaining how to get a dump file when SONAR crashes.
Once you have the dump file you can put it on a share like dropbox, google drive etc and share a link to the file with Cakewalk. Alternatively you can log a problem report case and attach the dump file.

If you need to manually locate a minidump file they are stored in this folder as timestamped files with a .dmp extension:
%AppData%\Cakewalk\SONAR Platinum\Minidumps
You can type that path into Windows explorer and it will take you to the dumps folder. If you do not have SONAR Platinum, replace that name with app name like SONAR Professional etc.

2016/09/01 11:51:16
rtucker55
What if it does not actually crash but just 'White Screens' on you? Then you have to manually kill Sonar. Is there any kind of file created for a 'White Screen' ?

Kind regards,
Rick Tucker
2016/09/01 18:25:58
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
rtucker55
What if it does not actually crash but just 'White Screens' on you? Then you have to manually kill Sonar. Is there any kind of file created for a 'White Screen' ?

For that read the section "What if my software "hangs" and does not create a crash file?"
2016/10/02 14:47:13
Sir Les
Question about what if my software "Hangs" with Hypothetical thoughts.

If the hang is not repeatable, yet is intermittent, and infrequent ,...if so hanging and left to be...is network access possible to do this via paths to same files through networking while hung up?.

Just wanna know my options using methods not going to work if the system freezes while hung, and is impossible to reproduce, if the cause is something in background services, or servicing, or scheduled to run by X, or applications causing, and user is not aware of....

eh....How can one repro what they do not know caused the hang, if the user did not cause it?

2017/01/11 17:57:46
RickJP909
Hi Noel.

I just applied a rolling update to take Sonar Platinum from v22.10.0.19 to v22.12.0.12 and on staring Sonar after the update, it crashed!  I followed your instructions above but the Minidumps folder doesn't exist.  Perhaps that's because I'm using Windows 7 64-bit with Platinum 32-bit?

I also wanted to check for sure whether you have to run the rolling updates sequentially or as long as the major version (in this case v22) is always the same, you can skip monthly updates and always apply the latest if that makes sense?

Many thanks, Richard.

(Since writing this, I've done more investigating & managed to locate the crash dump files & created a dedicated post for this issue)
2017/02/09 03:46:24
mudgel
The rolling updates are accumulative. That is, each new update contains the complete and latest Sonar version.

At the moment it's 2017/01. If you were to buy Sonar today that is the version you would install.
2017/07/15 01:15:27
IanPritchett
What is the proceedure at cakewalk? Do you look at crash dumps or forum problem reports first? Still waiting on a reply re the gain setting not cloning or saving in track templates.

Is it even worth sending crash dumps, or for that matter reporting problems?
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account