2017/10/13 15:25:29
TheMaartian
The primary place I still use soundfonts is with the free CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth (a very good replacement for the very bad Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth). The product web page has links to a good number of useful soundfonts.

http://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/virtualmidisynth

2017/10/13 15:33:00
TheMaartian
bitflipper
Here's an example, a multi-miked Kawai concert grand piano (pianos are especially well-suited to the format):

What a lovely instrument! My mother had it's slightly smaller (6'6"), less expensive brother. Fabulous tone for that size soundboard! Loved playing it!
2017/10/17 18:42:09
dubdisciple
Btw, presence will not use sfz bit will use sf. I'm finding it to be useful as a teaching tool.
2017/10/17 19:02:09
Glyn Barnes
Nobody has mentioned TX16WX

This is free and will load and play Soundfont 2 files and SFZ files. That is the tip of the iceberg, its a very capable program.

There is a "Pro" version with more features 29 Euros for non commercial use and 89 Euros for a commercial license.

2017/10/20 14:58:38
Starise
I did mention that. I haven't had a chance to use it yet though. Looks like something I could get lost for hours in 
2017/10/28 12:13:20
soens
Yes. Tho most of them are converted to sfz format for easier use.
2018/10/25 16:07:39
balloonhead
i still use soundfonts (SF2) but i never have seen a good player or plugin to load them with the complete featureset the got. Good that i still own a creative X-Fi Titanium that supports them directly. My very old Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 still is running on a windows 10 and loads all soundfonts embed in a wrk-file correctly. No chance for the newer versions Sonar X2 or even Cakewalk by BandLab. Both don't support the old wrk-files where all the soundfont related data is implemented. 

I have to start Pro Audio 9 in the background and load the old wrk-file so that the correct soundfont is loaded too. 

I already started to completly go away from Cakewalk and over to Propellerhead Reason because they do support parts of soundfonts. I can just load any patch of a soundfont directly into Reason. Still have to fix some additional informations for the modwheel but thats not so hard for most of the instruments.
2018/10/25 20:46:15
msmcleod
I've sampled all the favourite patches of mine from my hardware synths, and saved them as soundfonts (sf2).

I use Samplelord as my sample player, which works well for me as I can also use it on my SMPro V-Machine.

I use SampleRobot to sample all my synths, and I keep all the original samples so if I ever want to switch to sfz or Kontakt, I can easily re-export the instruments. But for now, sf2 works well for me.
2018/10/27 16:12:29
davdud101
I gotta say, I quite like SoundFonts, provided they're already created and set up to work easily. I never did like spending the time fiddling and testing to produce my own. Otherwise I'll just go for a good sampler like ShortCircuit2
2018/11/21 02:35:25
HeatherHaze
I used to love SoundFonts!  I had a nice collection, and even made a few of my own to use in my tracks.  It was a great system and I got quite a bit of mileage out of it.  I miss them, but haven't used them in years.  No particular reason aside from the fact that I have *so* many synths and samples now, of such high quality, I simply haven't had any reason to go back to SoundFonts.  That said, there's no reason it couldn't still be a good sampling platform.  
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account